Positive COVID test for fully vaccinated passenger under new protocols - Are you SOL or can you get refund/reschedule?

sd63

Has anybody heard the consequences of receiving a positive COVID test 72 hours prior to cruise for someone who is vaccinated? Is Carnival allowing you to get a refund or reschedule if you are unable to sail? I booked/paid under one set of rules and now they have changed the rules. 

• Like 1

The statement below does not indicate a difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

• If you, your family members living with you in the same household or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival. If guest has close contact with a positive or suspected COVID-19 case within 14 days of embarkation, and Carnival deems you are unfit to travel, you are eligible for a FCC.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, joelheather said:

They will not give refunds. and why should they?  Unless you purchased cancel for any reason insurance.

They should allow cancellations along with full refunds due to people booking these cruises that were vaccinated and did not want to worry about testing. I would not have booked had a test been required. Now 17 days before my cruise, the rules are changed to have to test and wearing masks. I did not sign up under those parameters. RCL and Celebrity are allowing cancellations and providing refunds.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roboref said:

They should allow cancellations along with full refunds due to people booking these cruises that were vaccinated and did not want to worry about testing. I would not have booked had a test been required. Now 17 days before my cruise, the rules are changed to have to test and wearing masks. I did not sign up under those parameters. RCL and Celebrity are allowing cancellations and providing refunds.

Agree! We are leaving on the 21st on the Panorama and now EVERYTHING changed. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, roboref said:

Welcome to 2020/2021. Things change constantly, and it's certainly not the cruise line's fault that Delta is out of control in Florida. None of us want to live with covid, but the only thing that is consistent is that things change. You certainly can't expect that weeks/months ago when you booked that they anticipated this change. Anyone who booked a trip since mid 2020 should have expected that things could/would change. 

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, roboref said:

And there is a whole other thread for that topic.  This one is asking whether Carnival issues FCC or refund if you pop positive.  And the answer is: FCC.  From what I gather, they also transfer OBC.

And, FWIW, lots of folks are reporting that they are getting full refunds when they opt to cancel on their own (not due to positive COVID result).  So although the official line is no refunds, it appears to be YMMV. 

On 8/5/2021 at 1:36 AM, sailingships said:

It seems it was OK when the rules were changed on unvaccinated passengers. In fact some in here felt they should be 'punished' even further.  Since that was a consensus of several, now that the alligator has come for you. Suck it up. 

Go get your shot.

• Like 7

The protocols say:

If a vaccinated guest does have a positive pre-cruise test result, they should immediately contact us at 1-800-CARNIVAL, their PVP or travel advisor. They should not come to the terminal as planned. With proof of the positive test result, we will work with guests to rebook their cruise for a later date.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:42 PM, louanne93 said:

Agree! We are leaving on the 21st on the Panorama and now EVERYTHING changed. 

We are on this cruise as well!. I have such mixed emotions. Want to go, but booked since initially we wouldn't have to test.  Can't decide!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 10:12 PM, joelheather said:

They will not give refunds. and why should they?  Unless you purchased cancel for any reason insurance.

They are and have been giving refunds to anybody that waited on hold and asked about it once the new protocols were announced the other day.  If by some chance someone that is still willing to go on a cruise and comes back with a positive test, of course Carnival would do the same for them.  I go out on the Horizon in 3 weeks and just in case a false positive comes back from an Antigen test, I decided to go with the more reliable PCR test and already have my appointment at a local Quest Diagnostics Lab facility 3 days before our cruise.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, gnocchi_mommy said:

Does anyone know what happens to OBC in this situation?

It all depends upon how the OBC was obtained.  The new sailing date could also change other promotions that people had such as reduced priced Cheers with a RU1, RU2 or RU3 code.  If the new sailing is outside of the time parameters, then it's gone.

21 minutes ago, roboref said:

We are on this cruise as well!. I have such mixed emotions. Want to go, but booked since initially we wouldn't have to test.  Can't decide!

Is the test bugging you out or the fact that you'll have to wear a mask in congested areas of the ship?

If it's the mask, call and cancel or push it back if you'll lose OBC, if it's the test, suck it up and get it done.  What is the big deal about having a straw pushed up your nose?  The insurance companies are paying for it.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, Shakatime said:

It’s plain as day on carnival.com An FCC is given for the full amount. Go read the official announcement instead of relying on opinions from people.

But going to the Carnival website and actually reading what they have put out is too hard 😛

(Yes I'm being silly. Way too many questions that could easily be found on their website).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roboref said:

We are going. I am worried because the cdc says if you had covid within 3 months that you should not test because it will come up positive. I am a flight attendant, I have been vaxxed, and I got Covid in April. Four months ago! If my test comes up positive, I am gonna be so BUMMED!!!

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 12:58 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Is the test bugging you out or the fact that you'll have to wear a mask in congested areas of the ship?

If it's the mask, call and cancel or push it back if you'll lose OBC, if it's the test, suck it up and get it done.  What is the big deal about having a straw pushed up your nose?  The insurance companies are paying for it.

What is bugging me is now having to have a test. I have been tested plenty through the pandemic. I don't want the anxiety of hoping and waiting to have the test. As well as wearing the mask. If anyof this really helped it would be OK, but really as many others have expressed you can exposed on Tuesday, tested negative on Wednesday and be spreading Covid on the ship by Monday or Tuesday. So the test really doesn't make a difference at all anyway. I would have never booked Carnival except for the timing and price. So an FCC doesn't do me any good. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roboref said:

What is bugging me is now having to have a test. I have been tested plenty through the pandemic. I don't want the anxiety of hoping and waiting to have the test. As well as wearing the mask. If anyof this really helped it would be OK, but really as many others have expressed you can exposed on Tuesday, tested negative on Wednesday and be spreading Covid on the ship by Monday or Tuesday. So the test really doesn't make a difference at all anyway. I would have never booked Carnival except for the timing and price. So an FCC doesn't do me any good. 

It has been reported that people have been able to get a refund.  Contact your TA or Carnival if you booked directly and get it done.  It seems like the possibility of the actual cruise is a turn off for you.  You don't need to settle for a FCC, if you already have a sour taste about Carnival and a preconceived idea about them. If you only booked it because of timing and price, Carnival is not for you.  Make that phone call and get your money back.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 9:17 PM, roboref said:

Agree 100%.  Wife & I have 5 B2B scheduled Jan - Feb.  Fly into Miami to sail.  We're vaccinated.  Problem is what if either or both of us test positive between cruises?  Put off ship, can't fly, 10 day quarantine...  no way to get home... no family support... could wind up in a hospital in Miami... worst case scenario you die there.  Cost literally $$ thousands to get transported back to Nashville... a friggin nightmare possibly.  People should of gotten vaccinated and not allowed this damn virus a chance to mutate... I hate it for the cruise lines, we love to cruise (Diamond) but IMHO another shut down is inevitable.  Damn it!  Get vaccinated!!!!!  Another shut down will take some, maybe a majority, out.  

On 8/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, roboref said:

I called about our 8/26 Magic cruise when the covid testing email came out.  I was told we could cancel with full refund or take a FCC.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:41 AM, louanne93 said:

We are going. I am worried because the cdc says if you had covid within 3 months that you should not test because it will come up positive. I am a flight attendant, I have been vaxxed, and I got Covid in April. Four months ago! If my test comes up positive, I am gonna be so BUMMED!!!

It was explained to me that while you might still test positive for Antibodies, that is different than what the Antigen or PCR test is looking for.  You can always go to CVS and get the $20 Bionex Now rapid test (2 pack) just to see what it says and give you some comfort.  Just keep in mind that test (given not the AG version supervised by a doc) is not allowed for the actual cruise as proof of negative.  Good luck, have a great night.

• Like 1