Explorer of the Seas - Johnny Rockets Restaurant

It has been several years since I have eaten at JR restaurant on the ship.  If you have eaten there on Explorer, or any other RCI ship, was it WORTH it?  I know there was a charge for some foods, and I guess anything else, there was an extra charge?  Is that still true?  What is the charge to eat at JR now?

Back when  Explorer sailed from Bayonne, we would go to Johnny Rockets for lunch on a Sea Day. The waitresses on roller skates were really fun and we enjoyed the milkshakes and onion rings with lunch. Always a fun lunch and worth the $.  
I’m  not sure if it’s different now. But it’s a great memory 😀

Thank you ALL for your replies.  My son (he is one of the 8 that will be going) and I were talking about JR, and I told him I "thought" there was like a cover charge, etc. to get a few items on the menu, but if wanting more, or additional items, it would cost more.

We think it is worth it once a trip. I haven't seen them wearing roller skates. There is  a cover charge, I think $8.95. It includes all you can eat except milkshakes are extra. There is other good free food so not at all necessary to eat there. Explorer has fewer specialty options. Because we don't eat out often when at home we just like to try all of the options when we are on vacation.

26 minutes ago, Sianli said:

We think it is worth it once a trip. I haven't seen them wearing roller skates. There is  a cover charge, I think $8.95. It includes all you can eat except milkshakes are extra. There is other good free food so not at all necessary to eat there. Explorer has fewer specialty options. Because we don't eat out often when at home we just like to try all of the options when we are on vacation.

I think it is subjective. There are seasoned cruisers who have written that we pay for amenities on a cruise. Johnny Rockets is a Hamburger emporium. And paying the 10 dollars or so for each person in your party is an added expense since Royal can provide those products for nothing. The more expensive pay emporiums that have proliferated over the years may have more of a worth due to quality of the product.

I appreciate the feedback on JR, and eating there, and the cost, etc. I know Explorer of the Seas is a smaller ship, and I know we will find plenty of food to eat on the ship, and not necessarily have to eat at a "Specialty" restaurant. 🙂

2 minutes ago, beshears said:

I appreciate the feedback on JR, and eating there, and the cost, etc. I know Explorer of the Seas is a smaller ship, and I know we will find plenty of food to eat on the ship, and not necessarily have to eat at a "Specialty" restaurant. 🙂

Once onboard take a look at JR's easy to decide then if it's something that's worth it to you.

Enjoy your cruise !!

2 hours ago, beshears said:

It always strikes me when what was once one of the biggest cruise ships in the world is now consideted a smaller ship. Time does bring changes.

• Like 3

Oceanboy, when it comes to the "size" of the ship, actually I would prefer a smaller/medium size ship.  "If" it was a larger one going to St. Lucia where I want to go, then I would go on a larger ship. 🙂

29 minutes ago, beshears said:

Oceanboy, when it comes to the "size" of the ship, actually I would prefer a smaller/medium size ship.  "If" it was a larger one going to St. Lucia where I want to go, then I would go on a larger ship. 🙂

Agree....we also sail for the itinerary not the ship.

6 hours ago, beshears said:

My favorite class is still Voyager/Freedom. I feel more relaxed on them. That isn't to say that I don't like the O class. I have two O class cruises booked. One I booked for itinerary and one was a lift & shift that worked for me. The problem, I guess, is there is so much going on and when you mix that with a bit of "fomo" I don't feel as relaxed on those ships. Though I absolutely love the Aqua Theater and the shows there.

Just ate at JR a couple days ago on Indy test sailing.  The price for the food which includes soda fountain drink and dessert was $9.95 per person.  We don't normally eat there on a ship but specialty food and all drinks were 50% off during this sailing.  The tuna melt was amazing.

And the sundae

sundae.thumb.jpg.e147d73dd15b97a11fc6d3714beee354.jpg

We were the only guests at that time so got a private dance

1630095470_20210804_17355037627.thumb.jpg.1275de324d266b3812095b928d035d5f.jpg

4 hours ago, lovelife said:

Just ate at JR a couple days ago on Indy test sailing.  The price for the food which includes soda fountain drink and dessert was $9.95 per person.  We don't normally eat there on a ship but specialty food and all drinks were 50% off during this sailing.  The tuna melt was amazing.

And the sundae

sundae.thumb.jpg.e147d73dd15b97a11fc6d3714beee354.jpg

We were the only guests at that time so got a private dance

1630095470_20210804_17355037627.thumb.jpg.1275de324d266b3812095b928d035d5f.jpg

You're lucky the tuna melt as good.....Some of us poster's on here had a running joke about the worst grilled cheese ever made...How can you mess up a grilled cheese...they did ROYALLY:classic_huh:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You're lucky the tuna melt as good.....Some of us poster's on here had a running joke about the worst grilled cheese ever made...How can you mess up a grilled cheese...they did ROYALLY:classic_huh:

Have never tried the grilled cheese.  The tuna melt on sour dough was delish!

Thank you for letting me know the "cover charge," at JR is $9.95.  That doesn't sound bad, that is especially if a person is going to eat very much.  This will seem trivial, but it was said the soda came with the cover charge.  What was the brand?  Just curious. 🙂

12 minutes ago, beshears said:

Thank you for letting me know the "cover charge," at JR is $9.95.  That doesn't sound bad, that is especially if a person is going to eat very much.  This will seem trivial, but it was said the soda came with the cover charge.  What was the brand?  Just curious. 🙂

Royal has Coke products.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

If soda is included then that is a change from the past.