Planned to board Odyssey tomorrow but we all have Covid!

Thanks for comments and encouraging words.  We are not frequent cruisers and were so looking forward. 

I imagine breakthrough cases are very common.  My sister (vaccinated Moderna) also tested positive today.  There are many people like myself -- healthy,, no medical history, vaccinated, who are positive with Covid.  Some will know it because they test.  Most will have no idea. I think the narrative will change soon because we are not immune as we believed.  I am not doubting the vaccine decreases severity of illness, and I still wholeheartedly believe in vaccines. 

My advice -- if you have a cruise coming up wear your mask and socially distance. 

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Thanks for comments and encouraging words.  We are not frequent cruisers and were so looking forward. 

I imagine breakthrough cases are very common.  My sister (vaccinated Moderna) also tested positive today.  There are many people like myself -- healthy,, no medical history, vaccinated, who are positive with Covid.  Some will know it because they test.  Most will have no idea. I think the narrative will change soon because we are not immune as we believed.  I am not doubting the vaccine decreases severity of illness, and I still wholeheartedly believe in vaccines. 

My advice -- if you have a cruise coming up wear your mask and socially distance. 

Good advice.  Luckily, my 3 night cruise in Sept does not require testing for the vaccinated.  This is something we will have to deal with for a long time going forward and will change cruising as we knew it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Good advice.  Luckily, my 3 night cruise in Sept does not require testing for the vaccinated.  This is something we will have to deal with for a long time going forward and will change cruising as we knew it. 

That protocol has changed....any Royal sailing out of US now requires a negative COVID test no matter what the length of sailing is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

That protocol has changed....any Royal sailing out of US now requires a negative COVID test no matter what the length of sailing is.

Do you have a link to that info?  Last I looked a couple of days ago it wasn’t needed.  If true, it’s just been announced — haven’t received any notification from RCI. 

Yes, I am getting very concerned that we could test positive...very disconcerting especially since I supposedly had Covid back in December of last year, asymptomatic except for a little touch of ria (sorry TMI)...then got vaccinated.  Who knows what may happen, I'm sorta nervous.  All that for nothing, really!  I've heard of some folks getting it twice.  I know that's rare but for an OCD person, I may be getting a booster or something.

I will be on pins and needles until we board, IF we board.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

if you have a cruise coming up wear your mask and socially distance. 

We live out in the boonies in Ark. and we are not leaving our mountain until we fly, but we fly into FL early to visit with cruise buds, will be there 2 days early, we could get it before boarding, develop it while cruising, etc.  We test 3 days before the cruise here, don't think that will be the problem if one occurs since we will in effect be quarantining until Sept.  Doing all my shopping through WalMart online and pickup, doing everything we can to stay negative until boarding.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We live out in the boonies in Ark. and we are not leaving our mountain until we fly, but we fly into FL early to visit with cruise buds, will be there 2 days early, we could get it before boarding, develop it while cruising, etc.  We test 3 days before the cruise here, don't think that will be the problem if one occurs since we will in effect be quarantining until Sept.  Doing all my shopping through WalMart online and pickup, doing everything we can to stay negative until boarding.

I hear you.  The funny thing is that message was from @LoriLoriLori not me, yet you quoted me as saying that.  Doesn’t really matter — just strange but good advice all the same.  

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

BecciBoo, hopefully you will be okay since you had Covid plus the vaccine.  I am hoping for lasting immunity, yet as you've mentioned people can get it twice and we do not know if lasting immunity will be a thing regardless of infection plus vaccine.  I am a registered nurse and the only people I've heard of so far  being infected twice (or at least admitted) with Covid at my hospital are unvaccinated. At this juncture nobody knows. It's an evolving situation and we are learning as we go.  

I hesitated posting my status/story but wanted to share.  Be careful, stay negative, and have fun. 😀

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Seriously thinking about cancelling now that the 3 night cruises require testing. Wonder if my NRD pre-COVID will be refunded?

Not sure about a refund for the NRD, but under Cruise with Confidence you could cancel and get FCC. You could also wait for September protocols to be announced and then call and say you would like a refund because you are not happy with the new testing protocol.  

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

Not sure about a refund for the NRD, but under Cruise with Confidence you could cancel and get FCC. You could also wait for September protocols to be announced and then call and say you would like a refund because you are not happy with the new testing protocol.  

Thanks for this info — will consider all the options.  

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I hear you.  The funny thing is that message was from @LoriLoriLori not me, yet you quoted me as saying that.  Doesn’t really matter — just strange but good advice all the same.  

That has been happening a lot lately...I go to "reply to this topic" and someone else's quote gets super imposed on my post.  It's happened 4 or 5 times.  Must be some glitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Sorry to hear this happened to your family. 

My husband is a new "breakthrough" case. We were both vaccinated in Jan/Feb and he was Covid diagnosed in the ER Wednesday. We just returned from a US river cruise and were tested before boarding on July 25. I feel OK but am waiting for my results. (tested on Wed). DH is home on oxygen, fatigued and, thankfully, not as sick as he might have been if not vaccinated. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

True story.  No vaccine is one-hundred percent effective.  

For all who are vaccinated the breakthrough rate is likely high with Delta and immunity wanes.  Wear your mask and distance if you want (and can hope for) a negative test for your cruise.  The employee health nurse at my my place of work stated that there are "a lot" of vaccinated employees out with Covid.  This was not the case a month ago.  Good luck and good health. 

Thank you this is what I apparently did a bad job of trying to convey.  I wish you and your family well.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear this. I am not a serious kind of guy, but this hits home. Wife has not felt good the last few days and got a Covid test today. We are both fully vaccinated. She cancelled meeting up with her mother today to celebrate her birthday as she is struggling with cancer.

Now it seems like things are going so wrong when I thought things were looking up earlier this summer. Glad we took a vacation to Chicago back in June after being vaccinated. I know there are many others who planned vacations later after this new strain stuff. Just so messed up now and I feel for you and your family.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, coaster said:

Sorry to hear this. I am not a serious kind of guy, but this hits home. Wife has not felt good the last few days and got a Covid test today. We are both fully vaccinated. She cancelled meeting up with her mother today to celebrate her birthday as she is struggling with cancer.

Now it seems like things are going so wrong when I thought things were looking up earlier this summer. Glad we took a vacation to Chicago back in June after being vaccinated. I know there are many others who planned vacations later after this new strain stuff. Just so messed up now and I feel for you and your family.

It did feel like we could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but now we are back in the tunnel.  

Thank you.  Hoping for negative results for your wife.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

It did feel like we could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but now we are back in the tunnel.  

Thank you.  Hoping for negative results for your wife.

Moments after you posted, wife got email saying test was negative. Thank you for your concern for her. Hope your family can reschedule soon.

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, coaster said:

Sorry to hear this. I am not a serious kind of guy, but this hits home. Wife has not felt good the last few days and got a Covid test today. We are both fully vaccinated. She cancelled meeting up with her mother to celebrate her  birthday as she is struggling with cancer.

Yes...it does hit home. Hope all goes well for your family. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coaster said:

Moments after you posted, wife got email saying test was negative. Thank you for your concern for her. Hope your family can reschedule soon.

That is good to hear - maybe she will be able to visit her mother now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mek said:

That is good to hear - maybe she will be able to visit her mother now.

She will. Luckily they both live in Florida. Just a matter of driving in the middle of the state to eat out. We are on the west coast near Tampa and they are near Daytona east of us.

Edited by coaster