Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

11 hours ago, davidsdesire said:

my husband wore dress slacks and suit jacket for 50+ years (he worked 7 days a week for many years) in his medical practice.  If he wants to wear jeans now, he has dang well earned the right to.

Good luck, but you better pack his dockers/chinos just in case.

Jeans are okay at dinner time in the World Cafe only.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, davidsdesire said:

nice to see that rudeness for no reason pervades every space on the internet.  Thanks for the warm welcome, pal.

It’s not rudeness - it’s a rule that you think your husband doesn’t need to follow - and we are shocked at your attitude. I feel the same way as I wore a suit my work life - but gee, if casual slacks are required for dinner in the restaurant, don’t wear jeans or just go to the buffet. You’re the outcast here thinking your husband is better than every other man. Guess you had no real problems in life if that is all you care about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, davidsdesire said:

my husband wore dress slacks and suit jacket for 50+ years (he worked 7 days a week for many years) in his medical practice.  If he wants to wear jeans now, he has dang well earned the right to.

Not aware that anyone has questioned his right to wear anything he desires, provided  that when you are aboard a Viking vessel, it complies with their "Rig of the Day" guidelines.

He is welcome to wear jeans all day; however, it will limit your dining options after 18:00 to the World Cafe and Cabin Service.

BTW - many of us during our working lives had to wear uniforms, 3-piece suits, starched shirts and even spit polished shoes, so he not alone in preferring a more casual attire in retirement.

• Like 5

I have always been surprised over the years by the number of people who seem to be distressed by this Viking requirement. I like to have a chance to dress up a bit in the evening, as I wear jeans most days.  I get that not everyone shares my feelings. However, it is not a hardship to comply with the dress code. A pair of khaki chinos or black slacks are no less comfortable than jeans, and don't take much room in a suitcase. Viking doesn't ask for jacket or tie or cocktail dress. This seems like a non-problem to me. 

• Like 10

I am not concerned in any way by the requirement. I just have not seen this requirement on our previous Viking Ocean Cruises. We always clean up and change for dinner. But from earlier threads, it looks like no denim breakfast or lunch?? that’s where I am confused. 

18 minutes ago, Kerrfamily said:

I am not concerned in any way by the requirement. I just have not seen this requirement on our previous Viking Ocean Cruises. We always clean up and change for dinner. But from earlier threads, it looks like no denim breakfast or lunch?? that’s where I am confused. 

I just wore long denim shorts and a nice top to The Restaurant for breakfast and lunch today. I suppose they could be bending the rules because there are so few people on board (only 110-120 pax), but I don't think so? These were no problem at times other than dinner. I wear a dress to dinner, though.

22 minutes ago, Kerrfamily said:

It's only dinner that has the no jeans requirement in the Restaurant, Manfredi's, or Chef's Table.

• Like 3

We were on the July 24 Sky sailing. On the last night my husband decided to wear his nice black jeans to the restaurant since we were staying a couple of days in Reykjavik, could wear them the next day and would make packing easier. After a reminder of the rules from me, he changed. The gentleman in front of us at the restaurant had on a pair of baggy blue jeans, well worn, and was seated with no problem. Dear husband did not say a word. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kellybc said:

We were on the July 24 Sky sailing. On the last night my husband decided to wear his nice black jeans to the restaurant since we were staying a couple of days in Reykjavik, could wear them the next day and would make packing easier. After a reminder of the rules from me, he changed. The gentleman in front of us at the restaurant had on a pair of baggy blue jeans, well worn, and was seated with no problem. Dear husband did not say a word. 

Lol--your husband is a wise man.

A pair of nice black jeans with a dress shirt (long-sleeved) has been fine for my husband in the restaurants in the past. But many nights he wore a jacket with an open collar dress shirt and dress shoes. We were on 14-15 night transatlantics.

Honestly, I have seen extremely well put together people in jeans that look way nicer than some who are  technically following the dress code in rumpled khakis with white sneakers. Or cargo capris with Keen sandals.

Most people had no issue following the dress code since it is fairly relaxed. I would think we will see even more relaxed when we do a 7 night Bermuda next week. Shorter cruise and warmer weather---probably not many with jackets or long sleeve dress shirts.

2 hours ago, Kerrfamily said:

As you stated in one of your prior posts, you all wore jeans to the World Cafe which is the buffet restaurant where jeans are allowed in the evenings for dinner.

The other 3 restaurants, namely The Restaurant, Manfredi's and The Chef Table, do not permit wearing of jeans for dinner.

Denims are okay during the day but not for dinner in the 3 restaurants mentioned.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kellybc said:

I am not sure about Viking but many cruise lines relax the dress code on the last evening (either officially or unofficially) to assist packing for travel the next day. 

As the bags are requested to be outside by 10:00pm, it is sometimes easier to dine in your next day travel clothes, especially if eating a little later. 

On 8/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, CanuckCurlers said:

If you are so attached to your jeans, by all means bring them.

There are lots of better performing options, including for active excursions, that are not jeans or dress pants. 

Look at Cabela or REI-great options that are way more functional than jeans. Some could double for pants for dinner.

Jeans aren’t great—-cotton holds water and makes you feel sweaty in hot weather and take forever to dry. They stay damp in cool weather too which is miserable. They weigh twice as much and are bulky for packing.

They are not , to me, the best choice for travel. But bring what you feel you need. 

Just now, tobique33040 said:

This is so true. I have some Patagonia pants I wear a lot to travel. They are so much more comfortable than jeans. I guess our generation just got used to wearing jeans constantly for casual wear and is stuck with that habit. But as others have said, a pair of Dockers etc are acceptable at dinner in the three restaurants and are also more comfortable during the day. So bring your jeans if you are attached to them, and if you don’t want to take them off it’s your prerogative. Just go to the lovely World Cafe instead. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I would be sad to see that someone missed Viking's no extra charge alternative restaurants because they only brought jeans.

It would be sad to see that guests don't follow some simple rules and guidelines.  The jeans thing is quite well known.  Like some of the other posters, we enjoy the chance to sit in a specialty restaurant without people in jeans.  We also like to wear jeans ourselves in the casual Mamsen's or World Cafe.  Something for everyone.

Viking, like all other businesses these days, faces that difficult situation of how much to enforce certain protocols and rules - no matter what is published, people in this day and age will test the waters and see what they can get away with.  I think it is an overall societal thing, made worse by COVID.

On our Bermuda cruise, we were quite pleased to see people turned away from Chef's Table wearing jeans and T-Shirts for dinner.   We rather enjoyed the nice atmosphere there for a relaxing elegant dinner with wine.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, JeriGail said:

I would be sad to see that someone missed Viking's no extra charge alternative restaurants because they only brought jeans.

That is a good one … we have been on 25 NCL cruises where jeans are now allowed in extra charge restaurants!

One evening DH wore shorts to World Cafe at my prodding and he said he felt uncomfortable!!

Direct from MyVikingJourney -

Dress On Board

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

• Like 3

Quite the thing this thread.

There is an imposition of taste in any dress code and some people don't like being told what to do. I have seen people comply with a smart dress code but look an absolute state, well in my eyes, but who am I to say they are wrong?

It's really not a problem to not wear jeans is it, it's more the principle. I understand that but I think on holiday I wouldn't let it ruin my experience.  

One point I don't get in this debate is why smart tailored shorts are not allowed with the correct footwear. This is fairly common in hot climate and can look as smart as trousers. Imagine if ladies were told they had to wear trousers all the time in the evening they would not be happy. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, boxman52 said:

Quite the thing this thread.

There is an imposition of taste in any dress code and some people don't like being told what to do. I have seen people comply with a smart dress code but look an absolute state, well in my eyes, but who am I to say they are wrong?

It's really not a problem to not wear jeans is it, it's more the principle. I understand that but I think on holiday I wouldn't let it ruin my experience.  

One point I don't get in this debate is why smart tailored shorts are not allowed with the correct footwear. This is fairly common in hot climate and can look as smart as trousers. Imagine if ladies were told they had to wear trousers all the time in the evening they would not be happy. 

Interesting points, especially about shorts. You raise a situation that I can relate to, having spent many hours on open decks in the tropics, sweating profusely in formal/semi-formal attire.

Accepting a previous poster indicated a family member was denied access with shorts at breakfast; in my experience on Viking Sun, tailored shorts were acceptable in the MDR for both breakfast and lunch. When out walking, in the gym or up by the pools, I would wear footie shorts, but for walking around the lounges and breakfast/lunch, I always changed into tailored shorts with trainers or sandals. Never had a problem in 4-months.

Yes, tailored shorts are acceptable evening wear in a number of tropical/sub-tropical countries, but in all the years I spent at sea, I haven't seen shorts accepted as evening attire, on pax vessels. When I worked cruise ships, when the Rig of the Day was "Whites", we could wear white uniform shorts 24/7 when working on the Bridge, but when off-watch in the evening, it was back to long trousers. The standards for the passengers generally mirrored the officers, with shorts by day, but long trousers in the evening. In the tropics, when they held evening events on the open decks, we couldn't wear shorts, as we had a semi-formal "Red Sea Rig", which comprised long black trousers, black shoes, short-sleeved open necked shirt and cummerbund.

On the Viking ships, I noted that the "Rig of the Day" never changed regardless of the outside temperature, as the officers were always in "Blues". This could be due to the air conditioning being highly efficient, with most areas of the ship being somewhat cooler, rather than warmer.

Personally, while I prefer wearing shorts by day, in the evening, when at sea, I still enjoy changing for dinner. Except for a couple of cargo ships, I have always experienced long trousers for dinner at sea, so that is what I consider the norm.

Even at home, I normally wear long trousers out for dinner, but must admit that during our recent West Coast heat wave (45C/113F), I did wear shorts out to dinner one evening. Fortunately, so did most of the other chaps.

In my experience, the quick answer to why tailored shorts are not acceptable attire in the evening, is marine tradition. Life at sea, on cruise ships/liners, especially last century was highly formal until well into the late 1980's/early 1990's. While other marine traditions have remained, the formality has certainly ebbed, with Viking setting a smart casual experience, with no formal evenings.

Will the formality continue to ebb, probably yes, with some Lines being more casual than others. I believe Bluesea777 mentioned jeans are welcomed in NCL specialty restaurants, so accepting shorts at dinner, might not be to many years away on some cruise lines.

However, I suspect that it is highly unlikely that shorts will be acceptable at dinner aboard Viking ships, at least for the foreseeable future.

• Like 5

I have knit pants, dress jeans, comfortable sweats, cargo pants, zip offs, etc.  they all look neat and clean.  My jeans are pressed and look great with a dressy shirt.  Prefer darker solids. Perhaps they don’t want worn out ripped jeans with holes.  Guess that if you book a Viking cruise, you may be stopped by the fashion police.  Haven’t seen Viking stop anyone.  I have seen people stopped on other lines. On Windstar, men wearing shorts get stopped.  Women can wear the shortest skirts or shorts.  Doesn’t make sense. Celebrity asks people to remove hats anytime at meals.  They used to stop people on jeans. That stopped about 20 years ago. Jeans are accepted.  

Cruise lines each have their own dress policy. If wearing jeans or attending a formal evening is important to you then choose an appropriate cruise line. 
I would suggest that the majority of passengers who cruise with Viking are happy with the no jeans evening policy in their restaurants. I, for one, would have to think again if jeans were acceptable in the evening. I consider jeans as workwear no matter how much you pay for them or tag them with the ‘dress jeans’ label.

As for the ‘dang well right’ comment - I am both scornful and laughing at the same time.

Keep up the good work Viking. We love your ships, your crew, your standards - and the majority of your passengers.

• Like 6