Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

2 minutes ago, longterm said:

The World Cafe is a buffet and more casual; while it's generally acceptable to wear shorts or t-shirts there, it's not okay to come walking through in a speedo. 

On our river cruise last fall, there was a guy who wore what appeared to be the same shorts for 2 weeks, at breakfast, at dinner. Yuck.

I usually wear mostly dresses on our cruises, but with the Viking cruises were looking at, although summer, it would be quite chilly.  

18 minutes ago, longterm said:

The World Cafe is a buffet and more casual; while it's generally acceptable to wear shorts or t-shirts there, it's not okay to come walking through in a speedo. 

On our river cruise last fall, there was a guy who wore what appeared to be the same shorts for 2 weeks, at breakfast, at dinner. Yuck.

Ha!  We had a similar experience recently:

1 River - guy (like your guy) who wore the same Harley Davidson Orange T-Shirt every single day and you could tell it was the same one each day, along with the same jeans.

2 Ocean - a guy who always sat in the World Cafe with his pajama bottoms on - breakfast, lunch, dinner.  Now he at least rotated among about 4 different plaid pajamas  🙂

I think it is just the nature of the new type of cruisers that are out there now since COVID.

The real issue as someone above said, if they have a rule then enforce it consistently, else don't have a rule.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

1 River - guy (like your guy) who wore the same Harley Davidson Orange T-Shirt every single day and you could tell it was the same one each day, along with the same jeans.

2 Ocean - a guy who always sat in the World Cafe with his pajama bottoms on - breakfast, lunch, dinner.  Now he at least rotated among about 4 different plaid pajamas  🙂

I think it is just the nature of the new type of cruisers that are out there now since COVID.

The real issue as someone above said, if they have a rule then enforce it consistently, else don't have a rule.

SMH What’s wrong with some people?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 1:58 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

SMH What’s wrong with some people?

On 7/25/2024 at 1:37 AM, CCWineLover said:

I'm still mildly traumatised by the sight of an overweight person in a several sizes too small puce velour tracksuit. At least they were wearing granny knickers rather than a g string

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

More like people who don't have good taste.  Trying to become the Carnival cruise line of the senior set.

The world is a very different place these days . . .  and I'm not sure it's going to change, now that the genie (bad taste) is out of the bag.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 2:19 PM, KBs mum said:

I'm still mildly traumatised by the sight of an overweight person in a several sizes too small puce velour tracksuit. At least they were wearing granny knickers rather than a g string

Why do the overweight always get these comments? Seriously, why is that acceptable? Was that the single bad outfit you saw on your entire holiday? And why did you feel the need to share it? Do you feel better now? SMH 

• Like 5

Wow, calm down.

You have to admit you see some very inappropriate dressing of all sorts on cruise ships these days.

When I was a kid you had to pay a quarter and go into a tent to see such.😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Maybe we should re-title this thread the "Zombie Jeans at Dinner" thread, as IT WILL NOT DIE!!!!

I get it---

(a) Viking says no jeans at dinner

(b)  Some folks want to wear them anyway

(c)  Which puts the onus on Viking to be the bad guy and enforce it (or not), since folks want to do what they want to do!

If someone nicely asks me to do (or not do) something, and the request is reasonable and legal, I tend to do it!   I don't stomp my feet and hold my breath until I get my way.

This concludes my old-man-rant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Maybe we should re-title this thread the "Zombie Jeans at Dinner" thread, as IT WILL NOT DIE!!!!

I get it---

(a) Viking says no jeans at dinner

(b)  Some folks want to wear them anyway

(c)  Which puts the onus on Viking to be the bad guy and enforce it (or not), since folks want to do what they want to do!

If someone nicely asks me to do (or not do) something, and the request is reasonable and legal, I tend to do it!   I don't stomp my feet and hold my breath until I get my way.

This concludes my old-man-rant.

But what if the jeans are expensive black designer jeans?? 😎

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

But what if the jeans are expensive black designer jeans?? 😎

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, What if I wore my dress pants to repeatedly clean out the septic tank???😎

Whadaya got ta say about that, VIKING!!!!!!!!!!!

( @CILCIANRQTS, we New Englanders gotta stick together!)

Edited by sharkster77

Oh boy - here we go again, and I ran out of popcorn for the big fireworks.  Will have to run to the store.  Seems every few weeks this thread KEEPS coming up!  You are right - it won't die, and will always live as long as some people believe they know what the rules should be regardless of what Viking says it is.

If the rule is the rule, I don't see why people don't follow it.  Guess I'm that sort of person, not the kind that says I'll do what I want because I don't like the rule.  Part of the issue with our overall society these days.  OK.  I'm done.  Ready to go get popcorn for the show!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, What if I wore my dress pants to repeatedly clean out the septic tank???😎

Only if you also wear your expensive designer tank top!! 🤪

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:17 PM, longterm said:

I wouldn’t assume they are the same shorts.  Both DH  and I buy (and bring) multiples of certain clothing items.  Bottoms are more likely to be duplicate colors too.  I have 3 pair of both khaki shorts and pants.  Usually they will all be brought on a cruise.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mich - I do the same.  When I find a shirt/shorts/pants/jeans/shoes that I like, I buy multiples of the same thing.  I have three suits (for work) that are exactly the same.  I even keep duplicates between two houses.

Drives me nuts when I find clothes that I like and they stop selling them before I can stock up.  Thankfully, men's clothes really don't change that much decade to decade.

I'm giving you the stink eye Jockey.com

Edited by HUNKY

On 7/27/2024 at 12:19 PM, KBs mum said:

8 hours ago, TinaLee said:

Why do the overweight always get these comments? Seriously, why is that acceptable? Was that the single bad outfit you saw on your entire holiday? And why did you feel the need to share it? Do you feel better now? SMH 

Maybe because it was an accurate statement in KBs mum's experience.  In my experience on Viking those in unique outfits that are a couple sizes too small are normally overweight.  I don't think its fat shaming.

The need to share: maybe questionable.  But this is a cruise forum with a thread specifically discussing dress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I wouldn’t assume they are the same shorts.  Both DH  and I buy (and bring) multiples of certain clothing items.  Bottoms are more likely to be duplicate colors too.  I have 3 pair of both khaki shorts and pants.  Usually they will all be brought on a cruise.  

And another problem is sudden weather changes.  On our first river cruise (Grand European), I checked the weather forecast just before we left and packed for the cool temperatures predicted.  At the last minute I added a pair of lightweight linen cropped pants.  A week into the trip there was a sudden heat wave.  I had to wear those linen pants every day.  I'd wash them at night and stretch them out on the heated bathroom floor to dry.  I'm sure people looked at me sideways too, but at least they were clean every day.  I didn't wear them to dinner tho.

1 hour ago, Breckski said:

Maybe because it was an accurate statement in KBs mum's experience.  In my experience on Viking those in unique outfits that are a couple sizes too small are normally overweight.  I don't think its fat shaming.

The need to share: maybe questionable.  But this is a cruise forum with a thread specifically discussing dress.

We were on a trans Atlantic and met a couple whose luggage went AWOL.  The wife was quite overweight, and found it impossible to find any clothes that fit before she boarded in Barcelona.  There might have been clothing stores for overweight, but I have had little luck finding clothing in my size myself, and I am smaller than she was.  Anyway, this woman boarded with few pieces of clothing.  Viking was washing her clothing nightly and returning them to her.  After listening to her, I rarely think poorly because I wore ill fitting clothing when my luggage went AWOL in Turkey and the largest size I could find was a size 8 in a resort town to fit my size 14 body.  I roamed the town in mens shorts and t shirts, and wore a rather obscene too small swim suit so I could enjoy the beautiful area.  Luckily, we got our luggage day 4 of the 6 days we were there.  

• Like 3