Anyone else having trouble cancelling their cruise?

Originally booked on Sept 23 2021 Anthem Capitals Cruise for two connecting verandah cabins.

• On July 9th, we received an email from RCL that the itinerary changed and we had until July 23 to cancel for full refund.
  • On July 10th, I spent almost an hour with RCL customer service cancelling our cruise. At that time, the representative had nothing to confirm the cancellation. Nothing -- no confirmation at all. She simply said we could refer to her first name if there was an issue. I was told the cruise was cancelled and the refund to our CC would be up to 30 days (don't get me started on that unacceptable timeframe but fine)

Since then, we are still getting all of the emails as if we are on this cruise. Then yesterday, we got another email that the cruise overall was cancelled and we would need to call to get a refund. And yes, only the full refund. Nothing additional offered beyond $100.

I logged back into our account today (because why should we need to re-cancel a cancelled reservation right?!) and those two reservations are STILL ACTIVE!!

What the heck is going on with RCL? We are longtime loyal Celebrity cruisers so we assumed we would have the same service from RCL but this is insane. I have some leniency with the customer service department being backed up. However, this is unacceptable. We have yet to see the cancellation and they still have thousands of money from us.

Is anyone else having these issues? I've submitted via contact us on the website as I have no confidence of calling back again and having anything different happen -- and we need a chain of communications to refer to. 

Edited by mel_kat_

I did cancel my cruise two days ago and was also concerned that I did not get a cancellation confirmation number, or an email. Nothing to prove it was cancelled. I will be calling back next week. I did ask if I would get an email about the cancellation and was told no, but that I could call to check the status of it. Of course, will have to wait on hold a long time, I am sure. Something should appear online when I got to upcoming cruises that says cancelled, but it doesn't. Still has my cruise listed. When I don't show up, how can I prove I actually did cancel? It has me worried as well.

1 hour ago, mel_kat_ said:

I've submitted via contact us on the website as I have no confidence of calling back again and having anything different happen

Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. You may need to call several times to resolve the issue. Escalate to supervisor/resolutions if needed.

I canceled our Aug 14 AOS last Thursday ...after the most recent protocol change requiring masking indoors except if a few areas... decided it was one change too many. Like OP, I expected a confirmation email... when one did not happen I called Friday morning... they said they would send something... but the only email I got indicated that because of my canceled status they were canceling all the other items I had signed up for... but no mention of refund or anything...   so I called today... at least the rep could confirm that the cruise was canceled and told me that they don't send out emails confirming cancelations... So you just have to wait I guess.

This has been a problem for me. I called on July 21 to cancel an Anthem cruise that the itinerary was changed from Norway to Spain/Portugal. I had to call repeatedly over several days to get something in writing and it was still ambiguously written and the refund owed. Recently I got an email to check in on the canceled Anthem cruise, which was rerouted a second time to the British Isles, yet sailing is not till Sep 5. So I am still calling still and not at all confident that my cruise was canceled or that my refund is being processed. 

2 hours ago, Wildcat85 said:

This has been a problem for me. I called on July 21 to cancel an Anthem cruise that the itinerary was changed from Norway to Spain/Portugal. I had to call repeatedly over several days to get something in writing and it was still ambiguously written and the refund owed. Recently I got an email to check in on the canceled Anthem cruise, which was rerouted a second time to the British Isles, yet sailing is not till Sep 5. So I am still calling still and not at all confident that my cruise was canceled or that my refund is being processed. 

I hate to say it, but I wonder if this is all a RCI ploy to keep as many payments as possible? If I have nothing in writing that I asked them to cancel, what is my recourse if I don't get my refund? They could just say that I never showed up to board. I have never not gotten a cancellation confirmation when I cancelled something. They come via email immediately. Or at least show up as cancelled online. But with Royal...nothing.

Get an auto invoice. Link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2680793-where-to-find-receipt/?do=findComment&comment=57936934

You can use this automated number to get an updated invoice: 866-562-7625, press #4, if you booked with Royal directly.  

Edited by Coralc

I have cancelled dozens of cruises fir clients and there has never been a confirmation sent out.  I have never had a problem.

There is a difference between cancelling before or after final payment and whether it was a refundable or non refundable deposit.  For cancellations before final with a refundable deposit the sailings can be cancelled by the agent and a confirmation number given.  

Fir sny sailings after final or with a BRD the agent only notates the bookings and they are submitted to back of the house staff who process them.  There are a lo5 to process do the cruise can and does stay active which means you still see it in your cruise planner and you will still get e mails.  This is all normal for Royal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Get an auto invoice. Link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2680793-where-to-find-receipt/?do=findComment&comment=57936934

You can use this automated number to get an updated invoice: 866-562-7625, press #4, if you booked with Royal directly.  

Which until the back office staff get around to cancelling it will still generate an active invoice.

you cannot generate a cancelled invoice. 

56 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You should ask again to get an invoice which shows the cancellation. 

The 12 to 14 cruises I had cancelled since Mar 2020 I have never received a cancellation email or an invoice showing cancelled.   

I have received emails when I have cancelled booked excursions, dining packages, internet, etc but not the actual cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mel_kat_ said:

. At that time, the representative had nothing to confirm the cancellation. Nothing -- no confirmation at all. She simply said we could refer to her first name if there was an issue.  

I would have escalated this while I was on the phone canceling. It doesn't make sense. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have cancelled dozens of cruises fir clients and there has never been a confirmation sent out.  I have never had a problem.

There is a difference between cancelling before or after final payment and whether it was a refundable or non refundable deposit.   This is all normal for Royal.

Great info.  My options are I can cancel the cruise but my question to you IMACRUISING is what about my Air2sea reservation?

Yeah, we called 12 July to cancel an Anthem sailing that changed from Norway to Spain.

Was told it would take 2-3 days to show up online as cancelled and up to 30-45 days for the refund to CC and up to 2 months for the email with FCC refunds (we had paid as a mix of both).

We were told there was no way to give us a confirmation number of the cancellation or an email, etc.

It still showed active online on 27 July so we called again.  They did have notes as to our first call and who we spoke to, I was told iit could take up to 30 days to be cancelled in the system (and then 30-45 days after that for a refund and 2 months for the FCC return)

Meantime the cruise changed again to a UK ports only cruise, so called again...the origianl cancellation from over 3 weeks prior had still not been processed so after an hour on hold they were able to reverse that and we plan to sail on the Brit Island cruise (assuming it goes-----OP saying they got an email last night that their cruise is now fully cancelled worries me).

The whole system is screwy and now being handled properly at all.  I like RCI's prodcut but the lack of paperwork, slow refunds (especially with FCC involved), etc for cancellations during covid has been a disaster.  We had cruises booked on 2 different lines when COvid hit, and one managed refunds easily, quikcly and smoothly, and one is RCI.  Our rebooked with FCC Alaska cruise for this May (when after May 2020 was cacnelled) it took MONTHS to get our money back, emails to very high up people, head of the travel agency and out agent and ourselves on the phone contsantly and we finally got refunded the week we should have sailed, but not the $500 deposit which we had invoices showing, but they kept insisting we never paid...took another month to get that.

I received the same sort of email for the August 21 Symphony of the Seas sailing, complete itinerary change.  They did not send a confirmation of the cancellation.  The travel insurance we had needed a confirmation of a full refund from RC and the reason for the cancellation.  When I called RC again and told them this, they sent the confirmation email.  It was a lot of trouble through the whole process.

10 hours ago, bajathree said:

When you call to cancel a "verbal" cancel confirmation number is given to you on the phone but there is never an e-mail "cancel" confirmation sent .

We tried for a long time, including esaclating and never could get a verbal confirmation number.  With these Anthem cruises, it is not somehting that is just a given, or even relatively easy to get after calling and asking and being on hold forever while they work on it.

I was supposed to cruise in a week, but called and cancelled a couple of weeks ago. My reservation still does not show a cancellation. I called this morning and got an automated confirmation about my reservation and that did not say it was cancelled. I have been trying to call since 7 am EST but just get a recording that says the office is closed. It is supposed to open at 7 am. Very frustrated! I have sent a couple of email asking if my reservation was indeed cancelled but no response.