Onboard Allure!!

I’m on the Allure this week, (Aug. 8th).  Cruise has been great with only 1/3 total passengers. Crew super happy to be back at work and to have us.  St. Maarten and St. Thomas (today), were great.  All we do is beaches anyway.  Mullet Bay in St. Maarten and Megan’s Bay in St. Thomas.  Leaving soon from ST.  
Masks are required everywhere inside the ship.  Also in the islands. If you are traveling with kids under 12 that are unvaccinated, be aware that it could be a different cruise for you as some venues, restaurants, etc. will be off limits if you are with the kids. Only allowed on cruise ship tours if traveling with kids under 12.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, F27TW said:

Agree!   This is the newest food fad thing .. bacon in everything .. in desserts, in cocktails, on donuts, in shakes, etc ..  its about as annoying as the salted-caramel phase was !   And the cauliflower one too!  lol

Bacon rocks…that said, I’m not one to say “eww” about anything that folks like.  

Bourbon in your milkshake is better 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Janet524 said:

Have you had any problems with tropical storm Fred?  Any port cancellations or indication that you will be late arriving back in Port Canaveral?

Late August 2019, our Allure cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, 7 nights turned into 10. Could not sail back so the ship hung out in western Caribbean. That was a pretty bad storm. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rvlandandsea said:

Late August 2019, our Allure cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, 7 nights turned into 10. Could not sail back so the ship hung out in western Caribbean. That was a pretty bad storm. 

We were on Harmony the same week, and we eventually got off after 14 days. Best cruise ever.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gonzo1124 said:

I’m on the Allure this week, (Aug. 8th).  Cruise has been great with only 1/3 total passengers. Crew super happy to be back at work and to have us.  St. Maarten and St. Thomas (today), were great.  All we do is beaches anyway.  Mullet Bay in St. Maarten and Megan’s Bay in St. Thomas.  Leaving soon from ST.  
Masks are required everywhere inside the ship.  Also in the islands. If you are traveling with kids under 12 that are unvaccinated, be aware that it could be a different cruise for you as some venues, restaurants, etc. will be off limits if you are with the kids. Only allowed on cruise ship tours if traveling with kids under 12.

Do you have to wear a mask in the areas that are marked for vacinated only? 

1 hour ago, gonzo1124 said:

When we did celebrity edge a month ago they had 50 percent normal capacity, 1/3 would be great , I will be happy with 2/3 in November.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvlandandsea said:

But this one expected to go into the gulf so maybe that wont be a problem.

Is the menu in the main dining room the same as it was pre-pandemic? Would it be possible to post the menus for each night or advise a site that has them?

Thank you for posting so much information while on your cruise.

50 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

@rbell so what is the point of having vaccinated only areas if everyone has to wear a mask anyway?

Well, I think it’s probably up to choice but our family will most likely wear them everywhere except the deck areas outside.

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Star class is beyond my comfort factor, much like first class on planes, which I, also don’t book but have occassionally enjoyed.  

Depending on how much luggage you have, first class isn't much more expensive for a domestic flight.  For example, one of my flights is $375 for economy and $575 for first class. Traveling with two checked bags (five weeks of cruising, I know I won't get away with only one bag) adds $70 each way to the economy fare, but two bags are included in the first class fare.  

This brings the economy fare to $515 and the first class to $575.  For $30 each way, it's definitely worth it to me to get bumped up to a more comfortable seat, better service, actual food, and more social distancing.  

• Like 3

Just now, brillohead said:

For $30 each way, it's definitely worth it to me to get bumped up to a more comfortable seat, better service, actual food, and more social distancing.  

Just want to clarify that even before COVID made "social distancing" a thing, I still preferred it.  The general public is disgusting and annoying, so I avoid them at all costs.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Depending on how much luggage you have, first class isn't much more expensive for a domestic flight.  For example, one of my flights is $375 for economy and $575 for first class. Traveling with two checked bags (five weeks of cruising, I know I won't get away with only one bag) adds $70 each way to the economy fare, but two bags are included in the first class fare.  

This brings the economy fare to $515 and the first class to $575.  For $30 each way, it's definitely worth it to me to get bumped up to a more comfortable seat, better service, actual food, and more social distancing.  

So, I use my Amex Platinum card for $200 bucks worth of stuff on AA.  Which means If I fly to Europe, something I used to do b4c19, my Flowboard was an extra $100 so, that ate half that credit, I book my AA flights on my AA Citi card so one bag each free on all flights.  I am flying in October to San Diego, the price for main cabin was $500, price for first was another $600 pp.  When you fly from hubs I think you can get some deals, we fly from way not a hub, so there is no first class on most of the planes flying from my airport.  So, generally I prefer flying to DFW on AA since the weather has a better chance than Chicago, and usually Charlotte is the wrong direction, so flying First class in the USA makes no sense to me at all.  Flying overseas, I would love first class.  The price is usually a minimum of a $1000 and usually multi thousands more, so I book main cabin, premium get a seat in an exit row at the front of AA flights to Europe for about $150 pp.  Seat is not awesome but have a ton of leg space, DW slept on the floor on our flight to Barcelona in 2018.  

I used to get some upgrades because of the AAdvantage program, and I enjoyed first class, but I could never justify paying for it.  

I am nearing retirement, and when I look at our future income and our savings I could retire yesterday and live very well, but I love stuff, and working provides stuff, and being frugal provides special stuff….  So, I am ok with being uncomfortable for 7 or 8 or if going downunder 15 hours.  Just the way I was raised.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:16 PM, g8rchick said:

We heard that they are appreciative of toiletries so we brought soap and toothpaste and deodorant and some candy. Our cabin attendant said absolutely everything is so helpful to them, even a pen.  He looked close to tears honestly.  It makes me want to get them more when we are at port.

Doesn’t the ship supply them with soap?

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, I use my Amex Platinum card for $200 bucks worth of stuff on AA.  Which means If I fly to Europe, something I used to do b4c19, my Flowboard was an extra $100 so, that ate half that credit, I book my AA flights on my AA Citi card so one bag each free on all flights.  I am flying in October to San Diego, the price for main cabin was $500, price for first was another $600 pp.  When you fly from hubs I think you can get some deals, we fly from way not a hub, so there is no first class on most of the planes flying from my airport.  So, generally I prefer flying to DFW on AA since the weather has a better chance than Chicago, and usually Charlotte is the wrong direction, so flying First class in the USA makes no sense to me at all.  Flying overseas, I would love first class.  The price is usually a minimum of a $1000 and usually multi thousands more, so I book main cabin, premium get a seat in an exit row at the front of AA flights to Europe for about $150 pp.  Seat is not awesome but have a ton of leg space, DW slept on the floor on our flight to Barcelona in 2018.

Glad to hear that AA is working out for you -- every single time I've been on an AA flight, the flight has been delayed/cancelled or had an equipment change that resulted in loss of the selected seats.  Had to fly into Tampa at midnight, rent a car at my own expense, and drive across the state overnight to Fort Lauderdale just to make it to my cruise one year because of a cancelled AA flight due to a mechanical problem (we were already boarded, and they had to deboard the plane, delay the flight several times, and then finally cancel it altogether).  Had equipment changes on our return flight, too -- I'll never fly AA again unless it's free and I have a three-day buffer in my schedule!

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am nearing retirement, and when I look at our future income and our savings I could retire yesterday and live very well, but I love stuff, and working provides stuff, and being frugal provides special stuff….  So, I am ok with being uncomfortable for 7 or 8 or if going downunder 15 hours.  Just the way I was raised.

If Economy is $400 and First is $1000, I don't bother with First Class.  But when the difference with checked baggage is minimal, I go for the comfort.  I've worked hard all my life and put everyone else first for the past 50 years, so now I'm putting myself first for a change.  There are other things I don't "splurge" on -- like specialty dining, or a booze package, or a cabana or high-end excursion.  But starting and ending my vacation flying first class (as long as the price difference isn't extreme) is something that is worth it to me to be able to be relaxed and comfortable.  It's bad enough I'm going to have a pile of laundry to tackle when I get home -- I can at least reduce my stress until then!  LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

Glad to hear that AA is working out for you -- every single time I've been on an AA flight, the flight has been delayed/cancelled or had an equipment change that resulted in loss of the selected seats.  Had to fly into Tampa at midnight, rent a car at my own expense, and drive across the state overnight to Fort Lauderdale just to make it to my cruise one year because of a cancelled AA flight due to a mechanical problem (we were already boarded, and they had to deboard the plane, delay the flight several times, and then finally cancel it altogether).  Had equipment changes on our return flight, too -- I'll never fly AA again unless it's free and I have a three-day buffer in my schedule!

If Economy is $400 and First is $1000, I don't bother with First Class.  But when the difference with checked baggage is minimal, I go for the comfort.  I've worked hard all my life and put everyone else first for the past 50 years, so now I'm putting myself first for a change.  There are other things I don't "splurge" on -- like specialty dining, or a booze package, or a cabana or high-end excursion.  But starting and ending my vacation flying first class (as long as the price difference isn't extreme) is something that is worth it to me to be able to be relaxed and comfortable.  It's bad enough I'm going to have a pile of laundry to tackle when I get home -- I can at least reduce my stress until then!  LOL

It is all choices, and we all make our own.  

Don’t get me wrong, when we took our first trip to NZ, I hated our friends on the air New Zealand flight from LA, who were in FC, while we were wedged into economy with the smallest seats ever put on a 747.  That said, I liked the extra $8000 in my bank account and I survived the trip.

jc