Two doses of AZ not accepted by Celebrity?

brontravel

I have a cruise booked with Celebrity for September out of Fort Lauderdale. A rep told me that even with two doses of the same brand (AZ) I won’t be considered vaccinated on sailings out of the US?  Has anyone else been told this?  Their website doesn’t say this anywhere. Has anyone found a cruise line that has specifically said they will accept it?  I’m not giving up hope, as things have been changing week to week. But just curious if I might have alternative options out there. 

The FAQs have the following:

What vaccines are accepted?

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted. Sputnik V and CanSino are not accepted Covid-19 vaccines.  Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements. 

While the US hasn't approved or given an EUA for AstraZeneca, the WHO has. But AZ is manufactured in different countries, and WHO had not approved all of them the last time I checked. Can you provide the details on which AZ vaccine you received for each of your shots?

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

My receipts simply state AstraZeneca. I imagine that if it was Covishield that it would say so?   AZ is approved by WHO but Celebrity website does say that some countries they depart from require a specific vaccine. Many people were telling me that AZ wasn’t being accepted so I contacted a rep and she confirmed with me that it wasn’t accepted for US sailings. 

If you follow the Celebrity board, you know that there is a lot of confusion with the reps over a variety of "rules" these days. I n your shoes, I'd check the requirements for each of the islands you'll be visiting and then pursue the issue with Celebrity.

• Like 1

I was told today that AZ is fine for US cruises.   So if you have 2 AZ vaccines you should be good.  My DW has AZ and Covishield.   When she got the documents from the pharmacy, they both said AZ, but when she went onto the Ontario website, one said AZ and one Covishield.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

I was told today that AZ is fine for US cruises.   So if you have 2 AZ vaccines you should be good.  My DW has AZ and Covishield.   When she got the documents from the pharmacy, they both said AZ, but when she went onto the Ontario website, one said AZ and one Covishield.

Thanks. It’s my plan to call Celebrity again in a couple weeks because things might update or get better clarified. But I’m determined to cruise somewhere in September. On any cruise line. So if others are accepting it I guess I should be able to go somewhere. 

• Like 1

We had to cancel our Viking cruise, should have left today, because of my two AZ doses.

Some countries don't accept our AZ doses which was the case for Romania were we were starting our cruise. They only accept the one called Vaxszeria which was given out in the UK.

Because we have cancelled so many cruises since 2020 we decided to not book anything else in 2021. Our next booked cruise is in March 2022 with Princess. I do hope the whole situation with other countries and the US will be solved by then.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LouCoop said:

We had to cancel our Viking cruise, should have left today, because of my two AZ doses.

Some countries don't accept our AZ doses which was the case for Romania were we were starting our cruise. They only accept the one called Vaxszeria which was given out in the UK.

Because we have cancelled so many cruises since 2020 we decided to not book anything else in 2021. Our next booked cruise is in March 2022 with Princess. I do hope the whole situation with other countries and the US will be solved by then.

Isn’t Vaxzevria the same as Oxford AstraZeneca?   They just changed the name. So unless your vaccine says Covishield then you should be ok?

28 minutes ago, brontravel said:

Isn’t Vaxzevria the same as Oxford AstraZeneca?   They just changed the name. So unless your vaccine says Covishield then you should be ok?

Vaxzevria is the same as Oxford but what I forgot to mention was that my first dose was Covishield.

On my provincial proof of vaccine it says AZdose1 and AZdose2 but the lot numbers are different.

On the written paper given by the nurse at vaccination center it says covishield for dose 1. 

My TA told me Romania are very strict with proof of vaccination she told me not to take any chances even though my proof of vaccine says AZ for both doses the lot numbers being different would probably not be accepted.

Lot numbers will usually be different with any drugs. Only means when that batch was made. 

I wish these countries would get onboard with the use of different brand/pharmaceutical/generic name vs   what the vaccine is.  Every manufacturer in different countries will have a different name for the same product, but having said that, Canada doesn't recognize certain vaccines made in certain countries so, could be a difference?? Or is it labelling or manufacturer production or storage etc. 

I know we wouldn't accept a certain drug because the label wasn't bilingual which it must be in this country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LouCoop said:

Vaxzevria is the same as Oxford but what I forgot to mention was that my first dose was Covishield.

On my provincial proof of vaccine it says AZdose1 and AZdose2 but the lot numbers are different.

On the written paper given by the nurse at vaccination center it says covishield for dose 1. 

My TA told me Romania are very strict with proof of vaccination she told me not to take any chances even though my proof of vaccine says AZ for both doses the lot numbers being different would probably not be accepted.

Hmm. Interesting. I’ve never received anything other than my email from Ontario government. Both say AZ. Lot numbers are different. Was never told it was any different. Now I may have to ask my doctor. 

1 hour ago, brontravel said:

Hmm. Interesting. I’ve never received anything other than my email from Ontario government. Both say AZ. Lot numbers are different. Was never told it was any different. Now I may have to ask my doctor. 

When you log into the Ontario site you get a slightly different version which includes a watermark. On this one, my first shot specifies that it was COVID-19 COVISHIELD and the second ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

When you log into the Ontario site you get a slightly different version which includes a watermark. On this one, my first shot specifies that it was COVID-19 COVISHIELD and the second ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE. 

So if your vaccination receipt states ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE is this the Oxford UK AZ??

Same vaccine. Manufactured by two different companies.

If Oxford AstraZeneca was used???? then it is same vaccine, just manufactured in UK, and was to my knowledge solely used in UK, but?????????

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/astrazeneca.html

3 hours ago, Tomchick1970 said:

So if your vaccination receipt states ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE is this the Oxford UK AZ??

Oxford is the developer, not the manufacturer. The one that says COVISHIELD is produced in India, the other one I believe in the UK. The vaccines are the same; but not all countries recognize the Indian manufacturing facility. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, gnome12 said:

Oxford is the developer, not the manufacturer. The one that says COVISHIELD is produced in India, the other one I believe in the UK. The vaccines are the same; but not all countries recognize the Indian manufacturing facility. 

Our vaccine states ASTRAZENECA COVID-19 VACCINE US.

• Like 1

For those with mixed AZD1222 (AstraZeneca/Covishield/Vaxzevria), I'd like to offer up the following good news email I just received from Celebrity:

----

Hello Everyone,

Please Note that AstraZeneca and Covishield are one in the same – both are AstraZeneca. This combination is NOT considered a mixed dose and is accepted for sailing so long as the guest is fully vaccinated and received their second dose at least 14 days prior to sailing.

xxx xxxx

Celebrity Cruises Reservation Representative

Celebrity Cruises  |  Trade Sales & Support

email: xxxx@celebrity.com

Consumer Website: http://www.celebritycruises.com
Travel Partner Website: http://www.cruisingpower.com
Servicing Phone Number: 800-437-3111

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, scottbee said:

For those with mixed AZD1222 (AstraZeneca/Covishield/Vaxzevria), I'd like to offer up the following good news email I just received from Celebrity:

----

Hello Everyone,

Please Note that AstraZeneca and Covishield are one in the same – both are AstraZeneca. This combination is NOT considered a mixed dose and is accepted for sailing so long as the guest is fully vaccinated and received their second dose at least 14 days prior to sailing.

xxx xxxx

Celebrity Cruises Reservation Representative

Celebrity Cruises  |  Trade Sales & Support

email: xxxx@celebrity.com

Consumer Website: http://www.celebritycruises.com
Travel Partner Website: http://www.cruisingpower.com
Servicing Phone Number: 800-437-3111

Excellent!  Thank you for sharing. I emailed a couple weeks ago and am still awaiting a response. I do like to have things in writing. 

• Like 1

If it was me brontravel I would be on the phone, for however long it took, to talk to your cruise rep or travel agent directly.  With the mass of email they are probably receiving who knows when you will get your response.  Have a chat with them and ask at that time for an email confirmation.  I've found this works way better that just email correspondence.  Sure hope you get it straightened out in time and can go on your trip.  Marginally envious:) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 10:44 AM, brontravel said:

Excellent!  Thank you for sharing. I emailed a couple weeks ago and am still awaiting a response. I do like to have things in writing. 

Hi brontravel can you tell me were you able to cruise with two doses of Astra Zenica I’m supposed to go in October and now they are telling me that I cannot if I’ve been vaccinated with Astra zenica thank you

4 hours ago, brontravel said:

Update:  I boarded the Celebrity Edge in Fort Lauderdale last Saturday with my two doses of AZ and had no issues. They even let me stay an extra week. Sailing past Cuba as we speak. 🙂

Thank you so much this has made my day! I just wish all the reps knew all the updated rules but I do understand that they keep changing.

• Like 1