Does anyone prefer interior cabins?

28 minutes ago, Moltar said:

First cruise in 91 was an inside... most likely never again. I feel too isolated. Balconies since since 01 and have yet to go back to ocean view or inside.

Virtual balconies peek my interest though.

Our first cruise was in an inside.

Uppers and lowers.

I also have a 31 year old 'souvenir'😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Moltar said:

First cruise in 91 was an inside... most likely never again. I feel too isolated. Balconies since since 01 and have yet to go back to ocean view or inside.

Virtual balconies peek my interest though.

The virtual balconies still have the "feel" of an inside to me anyway.  But I kind of like the isolated "cocoon" space.  When we had them we ended up having the screen turned off more than we would have expected.  It was great to check the weather and see if we were in port yet in the morning but most of the time we just weren't that interested.  I'm predicting you won't like the virtual balcony but you don't know if you don't try it.

• Like 1

I have sailed inside and OV, but I will admit that enjoy sitting out on the balcony - especially in the early morning after a jog,  in the evenings waiting for my DW to get ready, and many times just to sit and relax in quiet in the afternoon looking out at the scenery; but that is what I enjoy. Even during the extremely port-heavy Baltic cruise, I spent some time each day out on the balcony, even in the cold. However, some people just do not enjoy it as much. If a person is literally not in their cabin very often, then a balcony would be a waste and allows extra $ for other things; and for some, it may be the difference between cruising or not (especially when travelling with a family).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I'm predicting you won't like the virtual balcony but you don't know if you don't try it.

Im looking forward to trying one 🙂 My cabins have to be wheelchair accessible so they are 1.5=2X bigger than their regular counterpart so feeling like Im in a cocoon will not be a problem, especially solo.    I had my first balcony ever reserved for August 2019 on Harmony and was looking so forward to it.   When Hurricane Dorian caused me to cancel and I took the FCC and applied it to an Alaska cruise, all the balconies were out of my reach and the accessible ones already booked.    I know a lot of people would NEVER consider an Alaskan cruise in an inside cabin but Im actually looking forward to it.  I spend about 6 hours a day in my cabin and thats mostly to sleep.

We’re not too fussed about an interior or a balcony.  We love the interior for the total darkness, which means on sea days we can sleep in through to midday after coming in at 3-4AM.  We only use our cabin for the three “S” as all ships these days are destinations with so much to see & do.  We hardly ever use the balcony & if we do it’s for 15 minutes at the most.  If the interior is a lot cheaper we’ll book that & with the savings get the unlimited dining package.  
We only have one motto for travelling & that is ‘value for money’.  We’re quite happy to spend $10K if it’s value, & can feel ripped off spending $4K if there is no value.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, greatestvalue said:

@2Long2NxtCrz - I never remember when choosing a room to remember to think about the port days, where you probably wont use the balcony. 

Im booking a cruise to Denmark/Norway/Sweden next year and was trying to decide between outside and balcony.  There is only 1 sea day.  

You just helped me decide - Thank you!

Glad I could help you decide! I do think I'd get a balcony on any cruise in good weather where there are many sea days, but even our 12-day Med cruise we barely used our balcony because there were too many ports and the weather wasn't the best.

I'm looking at Alaska to take hubby for his 60th in 2023 and that one I'll definitely splurge for the balcony.  I was in an inside with my brother when we took my parents back in 2018 and they had a balcony, but the viewing was better elsewhere imho.  But it will be nice to order up coffee early and get to sit outside all bundled up and watch the beautiful scenery slide by.

I hope you have a fabulous trip next year!

Edited by 2Long2NxtCrz

18 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Spending is always relative.  I would think the concept of "splurge" depends on many things.  Some people are frugal by nature yet have plenty of money.  Some people are foolish with money and will spend more than they can afford.  Sometimes it is situational and a splurge is to celebrate a special occasion or recovery from a bad situation (illness, etc). Bottom Line:  How you spend money is your own business unless you ask me for a loan.

No one was obliged to respond.  How many of these "other people's business" posts did you read?

• Like 2

We attempted to stay in an inside twice and haven’t been successful due to sales. Example, current WOW sale has made my Oct. Freedom cruise very cheap. I can get a balcony guarantee for the same price I paid for an interior. Just emailed the travel agent to switch us. Looks like we’ll get onboard credit too! 

We purposely went cheap for this 3 night cruise. Just me and hubby celebrating 16 years of marriage. I had enough delta miles for free flights and Marriott points for a free pre cruise hotel stay. I couldn’t find a hotel in our closest city for 3 nights for the price I paid for the cruise. And it wouldn’t have included the food! No brainer. 

I would only sail in an inside if it was just me and hubby. No way with the kids. We’ve outgrown a balcony cabin as a family. Either need two rooms or a 5+ junior suite for family cruises. 

8 hours ago, ryano said:

Im looking forward to trying one 🙂 My cabins have to be wheelchair accessible so they are 1.5=2X bigger than their regular counterpart so feeling like Im in a cocoon will not be a problem, especially solo.    I had my first balcony ever reserved for August 2019 on Harmony and was looking so forward to it.   When Hurricane Dorian caused me to cancel and I took the FCC and applied it to an Alaska cruise, all the balconies were out of my reach and the accessible ones already booked.    I know a lot of people would NEVER consider an Alaskan cruise in an inside cabin but Im actually looking forward to it.  I spend about 6 hours a day in my cabin and thats mostly to sleep.

Good idea in a way to have an inside for Alaska since days are long.  But I see you are on Ovation in Sept and given perhaps cooler weather a shorter days, you picked a great ship.  She has lots of indoor areas with lots of windows.  Good choice.  Otherwise I would say on other ship a balcony is good.

I would say for early cruises in Alaska that go up to Anchorage from Vancouver, get an inside so you can sleep as the daylight is about 18 hours.

I too am on Ovation for the 2nd cruise in Sept, and I had an inside last time in May 2019.  This time given social distancing and masks, I did choose a balcony on right side up front 2 decks below the bridge.  Now I can watch coming and going from ports on the balcony and NO MASK.

I just want to say that spending/value is not relative, it is subjective. It is not always monetary value that determines whether someone can afford something.

There are a lot of factors that each individual uses when determining value. I am by many people's account, bougie, but I have a value criteria. I see no problem flying business or first international and the same for some domestic trips. But I have a system too determine when that happens. It is the same for cruises. I spend an equal amount of time in my room on a cruise but there are factors to the value of cabin. I have stayed in suites but will stay in interiors as well. I prefer them on particular ships and itineraries.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:18 PM, smplybcause said:

Supply and demand has nothing to do with whether something is a splurge for most people. Demand is simply that - demand. 

Actually is has everything to do with it.  If inside cabins were so great and people wanted them...the demand would be higher.  Fact is balconies are the higher demand and so also the higher supply on most all RC ships.

Splurging also falls under supply and demand...if you have a good or excellent supply of funds...or save funds for this purpose...the demand for balconies (and Suites) is higher as well. As for "most people"...prior to COVID...balconies were frequently sold out...and on larger ships they are a greater % of cabins...so...the numbers say "most people" prefer balconies.

Economics 101.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

We’ve sailed in most categories except for inside. The last few years we’ve opted for a JS as we like the additional space this gives us. However, on our Spain & France cruise next June, we’re trying a Virtual Balcony. The price difference was huge at the time of booking. I’m looking forward to seeing what it’s like even if it does mean we’re constantly bumping into each other 😁

Edited by CaroleC

6 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Actually is has everything to do with it.  If inside cabins were so great and people wanted them...the demand would be higher.  Fact is balconies are the higher demand and so also the higher supply on most all RC ships.

Splurging also falls under supply and demand...if you have a good or excellent supply of funds...or save funds for this purpose...the demand for balconies (and Suites) is higher as well. As for "most people"...prior to COVID...balconies were frequently sold out...and on larger ships they are a greater % of cabins...so...the numbers say "most people" prefer balconies.

Economics 101.

I know economics, majored in it. The demand being high still gives no insight into whether a purchase is a splurge for someone or not. It just doesn't. 

A high demand just means a lot of people want it. It gives no indication on how the price point is relative to their household income or spending. 

BTW having to save funds for something is practically the definition of a splurge. That means you couldn't afford it often and have to plan and wait to purchase.

Edited by smplybcause

4 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I know economics, majored in it. The demand being high still gives no insight into whether a purchase is a splurge for someone or not. It just doesn't. 

A high demand just means a lot of people want it. It gives no indication on how the price point is relative to their household income or spending. 

BTW having to save funds for something is practically the definition of a splurge. That means you couldn't afford it often and have to plan and wait to purchase.

It appears economics is taught differently in other parts of the country. Economics 101 teaches as demand goes up...so do prices. That can impact options and choices, but not value. There's a reason balcony cabins outnumber inside ones on most of the significant-size RC ships - demand/choice/expectations. Loyalty discounts, special "sales" and other factors also contribute to the options in a number of cases.

A splurge is a choice...what to spend $$$ on...not the % of income, especially since incomes vary from household to household.

Nothing wrong at all choosing an inside cabin (if that's what someone wants), but there's often more to that selection than just the cost - as other posters have noted.

Considering we have our next cruise balcony booked at a rate < typical inside cabins on Oasis class ships...the choice was easy (and preferable anyway).

I love inside cabins primarily because I sleep better and we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin to justify the extra cost.

We've had a few balcony cabins (including those with the oversized balconies and the "hump" cabins on the Radiance & Celebrity Solstice class ships) and while they were nice we found the cruises with inside cabins to be just as enjoyable.  

46 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It appears economics is taught differently in other parts of the country. Economics 101 teaches as demand goes up...so do prices. That can impact options and choices, but not value. There's a reason balcony cabins outnumber inside ones on most of the significant-size RC ships - demand/choice/expectations. Loyalty discounts, special "sales" and other factors also contribute to the options in a number of cases.

A splurge is a choice...what to spend $$$ on...not the % of income, especially since incomes vary from household to household.

Nothing wrong at all choosing an inside cabin (if that's what someone wants), but there's often more to that selection than just the cost - as other posters have noted.

Considering we have our next cruise balcony booked at a rate < typical inside cabins on Oasis class ships...the choice was easy (and preferable anyway).

No they don't teach it differently. Demand,  supply, still has nothing to do with whether something is a splurge for people or not. You were the one that stated balcony cabins are NOT a splurge and tried to use the demand for them as an argument for that being true. I don't know why you continue to try and conflate the two or use them interchangeably.

Demand for a product has nothing to do with whether or not something is a splurge or not. The average American spends $1200 per year on vacations. With the average cost of a balcony room before this mess being $200/night - 7 nights in a balcony is more than the average American spends on an entire year of vacations in one week. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I have an interior cabin related question. Is there a door or passageway on Oasis class, particularity Symphony that connects interior rooms hallway to forward elevator or does someone have to walk all the way to front of ship? I’m thinking surly not, just not understanding from deck plans. Here’s and example from Deck 9.

73F87070-C888-4C14-B61E-18028844DAD5.jpeg

There is a door just off the elevator lobby

I just remembered. Our first cruise was on Celebrity Century. In 2003. We had Ocean View. Right then we realized it’s kind of useless as we don’t spend enough time in cabin to enjoy it. Pretty same with balconies which we booked about 10 times for other reasons. We do pick ships which we enjoy overall because for us this is whole point. To be in solariums, lounges, theater etc …

Edited by Tatka

Some people can only afford an inside.  
Some people prefer an inside for sleep or room configuration reasons.
Some people consider an inside to be right up there with a sleep pod or jail cell.
Some people spend a lot of time in their room and/or on their balcony.
Some people spend very little time in their room.
Some people have discounts that make a balcony (especially Central Park) cheaper than an inside.
Some people look down their noses at people in an inside.
Some people look down their noses at people who spent Big Bucks on a fancy suite.
Some people look down their noses at people who go on "boring" Caribbean cruises.
Some people have no desire to see Alaska.
Some people never get off the ship so it doesn't matter where the cruise is going. 

In the end, it doesn't matter.  Everyone is free to do what works for them. You do you, Boo,  

For me, personally, I'd be happy in the walk-in closet of a Junior Suite as long as I got to be on a cruise ship.  I'm one of those who uses the room as a place to do the "S" words and nothing else. I see no reason to give Royal extra money for floor space I won't be utilizing anyway. 

One comment in this thread was about wanting to have a nicer/bigger/whatever space for the room where they were going to be spending a third of every day, and that's fine that it works for them -- but for me, I'm unconscious during that third of the day that I'm in the room, so a balcony or a longer couch isn't any benefit for me because I'm not using them -- I'm in the bed asleep.  (In the rare event I'm actually in the room and awake, it's because I am reading my Kindle, nekkid on the bed, trying to cool off in the AC, so a bigger room or balcony would still not be any benefit to me.)

Other people actually use their balcony, even if it's just to go outside to see how hot it is.  Some people spend hours out there, reading, sunbathing, gazing at the sea, listening to music, eating meals, or whatever. To them, having the balcony is part of the vacation experience, so it makes sense for them to prioritize getting a balcony room. 

If I won the lottery and funds were completely unlimited, I still don't think I would get a fancy suite -- there are other things that I could do with that money that would bring me more personal satisfaction.  And since funds aren't completely unlimited, and because I truly don't give a fig about a balcony or window, I prioritize going on more cruises to the places I want to visit (even if the place I want to visit is a cruise ship!). 

My first two cruises back in the 1980s had four people (parents and sibling) in uppers/lowers in a room with a tiny porthole that was smaller than any Royal inside I've ever been in besides maybe Majesty... and I still had a great time and fell in love with cruising.  

You do you, Boo.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Demand for a product has nothing to do with whether or not something is a splurge or not. The average American spends $1200 per year on vacations. 

Missing the point - cruising is not now nor has never been an "average" vacation. That doesn't make it a "splurge", it just makes it better.

12 hours ago, smplybcause said:

No they don't teach it differently. Demand,  supply, still has nothing to do with whether something is a splurge for people or not. You were the one that stated balcony cabins are NOT a splurge and tried to use the demand for them as an argument for that being true. I don't know why you continue to try and conflate the two or use them interchangeably.

Demand for a product has nothing to do with whether or not something is a splurge or not. The average American spends $1200 per year on vacations. With the average cost of a balcony room before this mess being $200/night - 7 nights in a balcony is more than the average American spends on an entire year of vacations in one week. 

The average person spends $1200/yr on vacation.  Is that per adult,  per person?  If it's per adult then double it for a couple or family.  If it's per individual, including children multiply it times the number of people,   DH and I spend way more than $1200 each per year even just going to the beach for a few days.  What you really have to look at is that some people NEVER vacation and others only go every few years to get the true amount spent on each vacation.  What you're posting just proves that anyone can do anything they want with "statistics".

Edited by BND
  • Like 1