Carnival's covid policy discriminates against certain physical handicaps.-

RnB

**Unfortunately, we are unable to accept guests who are dependent on oxygen or dialysis on sailings during our restart phase (through December 2021). This includes guests who use oxygen cylinders and concentrators. We will remain optimistic that our approach on future sailing will become more flexible.**

Carnival hasn't announced this.  We were cancelled because we advised them of the wife's disability when we booked.  how many will show up to be denied boarding?

It’s in their have fun, be safe  FAQs so it’s out there on their site. Not saying everyone will read it even if they’ve been directed to go to it and read all the protocols via all the emails we’ve gotten.  I’m sorry you are unable to sail at this time. 

And it’s not discrimination as folks told you the last time this was posted this week. They don’t have the oxygen storage capacity for passengers as they’ve been required to carry the max amount of oxygen for medical emergencies. Those medical center upgrades were cdc requirements to sail and not the cruise line purposely turning you away. 

• Like 7

Carnival's cruisers with disabilities department sent us multiple forms that had to be filled out since we are booked into a HC cabin.  My wife uses a scooter and both of us use CPAP machines.  If I had not provided the information that they wanted, I'm sure they would have kept following up.  I have to assume that others that are in your wife's position will also have filled out the required paperwork before they show up at the port on embarkation day.

• Like 1

Kids under 12 most arent getting exemptions, maybe kids can claim they are discriminated against.

The oxygen equipment john has discussed multiple times and it's too bad we all can't get back to the old days of cruising. I know I dislike the idea of testing, I was just thinking this cant work long term. Something has to give.

Edited by firefly333

4 hours ago, RnB said:

**Unfortunately, we are unable to accept guests who are dependent on oxygen or dialysis on sailings during our restart phase (through December 2021). This includes guests who use oxygen cylinders and concentrators. We will remain optimistic that our approach on future sailing will become more flexible.**

Carnival hasn't announced this.  We were cancelled because we advised them of the wife's disability when we booked.  how many will show up to be denied boarding?

They are not discriminating. They are protecting their means of staying in business. If you think this is discrimination, then not allowing people infected with Covid onboard is just as discriminatory.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You keep posting this. What is going to change? Their policy is in place for your safety and theirs and everyone else’s. If your wife is on oxygen and catches a good case of corona while on oxygen in the middle of the ocean hundreds of miles from land, what happens? Play it safe and move on elsewhere . 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, RnB said:

Makes perfect sense. Remember airlines have similar policies too. 

• Like 4

Why would anyone needing oxygen or dialysis even consider a cruise at this time?  Getting COVID can be dangerous for otherwise healthy individuals.... for those with other issues, it can be much, much worse.  Those with underlying conditions may not have as much of a response to the vaccine and, even if they do, the vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID.

I am immunosuppressed.  Other than that, I'm quite healthy.  I, personally, would not even consider a cruise at this time.  It is just not worth the risk to me.  I agree you need to live life but there are a LOT of other, safer options for vacationing at this time.

I don't think what Carnival is doing is discriminating.  I think it is providing common sense to a community that may not be thinking things all the way through.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RnB said:

Pre-COVID, didn't this have to be arranged with Carnival's special needs or medical group prior to sailing?

I think the answer to your question is... NOBODY.

• Like 2

I posted this last time. They are abiding by health  and safety requirements of the CSA. They can not accept guests who require oxygen or dialysis because of the critical nature of their ongoing care. In case of a Covid emergency, it may be impossible to furnish life-sustaining supplies and treatment.

• Like 1

The ADA requires reasonable accommodation. If the CDC requires Carnival to maintain maximum oxygen supplies for COVID (taking another poster's word for this, haven't verified it myself), violating that so you can cruise is not a reasonable accommodation.

Not getting the answer you want is not discrimination.  Claiming it is is like the boy who cried wolf, actually hurting people who are legitimately discriminated against.

Not to mention no one in their right mind who requires supplemental oxygen, even vaccinated and masked, should be setting foot on a cruise ship in the current environment.  Methinks another disability may also be involved here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Anyone requiring oxygen must have some type of health issue. Breathing is a necessity to life. Lack of breath can lead to death. 

You are putting the burden of your health risk on the cruise lines.

That is not discriminatory

• Like 6

8 hours ago, RnB said:

They have you do health screenings before you board online at home. Does it not ask those questions? If so then it would inform the passenger at that time, so they wouldn't end up going to the port and finding out there. That said I'm sorry to hear about your inability to go. There's nothing to be done about it in either the long or short term I think but you have my sympathies. It is a form of discrimination just as any measure implemented to impede or prevent a group from anything is but discrimination is not necessarily illegal or even a bad thing. If a private beach insists that you be certified in swimming to a certain level in order to swim they are discriminating against everyone below that level but it undoubtedly is due to the dangers of swimming in the area and the skill required. I hope you are able to find some resolution here and find an even better time on a different type of vacation.

• Like 2

Airlines can restrict pregnant mothers from flying, as their flying can be an unnecessary health risk.

FLYING IS NOT A RIGHT.

The airline has the right to refuse service. You need to display a pattern of discrimination within the company.

Instances under duress and a pandemic, especially when that rule is to prevent the illness and potential death of their customer, which they have a legal and ethical responsibility to keep from harm.

Even if that harm is to yourself

Edited by EngIceDave
dorkfinger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Airlines can restrict pregnant mothers from flying, as their flying can be an unnecessary health risk.

Lastly, FLYING IS NOT A RIGHT.

The airline has the right to refuse service. You need to display a pattern of discrimination within the company.

Instances under duress and a pandemic, especially when that rule is to prevent the illness and potential death of their customer, which they have a legal and ethical responsibility to keep from harm.

Even if that harm is to yourself

I'm pretty sure carnival restricts pregnant mothers too. You have to have a doctors note how far along you are. Carnival doesnt want to deliver babies onboard either. How is that fair. I think they should have a full maternity ward onboard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm supposed to travel with a group later this year and we have a lady that needs oxygen sometimes. She's not dependent on it.  🙂  Ok, she is dependent on oxygen, but she's not dependent on the small oxygen machine she carries in her purse.   I'm glad I saw this thread, I'll have her get in touch with Carnival.

And y'all making the snarky responses, why not just ignore the post and move along?

Edited by Toyland
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Toyland said:

I'm supposed to travel with a group later this year and we have a lady that needs oxygen sometimes. She's not dependent on it.  🙂  Ok, she is dependent on oxygen, but she's not dependent on the small oxygen machine she carries in her purse.   I'm glad I saw this thread, I'll have her get in touch with Carnival.

Do not panic

he rule could change in time

• Like 2

My sister was going with me on this cruise and when I was finally able to check in and got to the part that asks about medical equipment, it would let me go no further.  Unless someone doesn't enter the information they ask for they won't be turned away because it won't let you check in.  I was so disappointed because I had not read the announcement.  She was devastated because she probably won't be able to cruise again.  We did book a Vegas trip and hopefully we will make that.  I totally understand and I feel that all things happen for a purpose.  I am going solo and I will have a week of total relaxation starting 8/21.