Carnival Testing for Vaccinated Passengers update

BlerkOne

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So the passenger who is going on another Carnival ship a day later and would need a test for the second sailing could get one on the first ship if not vaccinated, but not get one if vaccinated? Please tell us all how this makes sense.

And what if they were going on a Royal ship? It isn't Carnival's job for the first or second cruise. Not even if it was a s2s. 

Testing the unvaxed before debarkation is part of the protocol; testing vaccinated isn't. If you are going to test 1 vaccinated person, test all of them and that will take hours and hours. Maybe days 

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And if you read the previous post, you will see that they did contact Carnival. And the first answer, not surprisingly, was I don't know I need to contact a different department. (Actually, that is a better answer than making up something you do not know.) And the final answer was you will have to ask that on the ship which of course left the one who asked it with nothing useful.

I do agree that it is a somewhat unique situation, but they have to think these things through. Here's another one, what if their next cruise was on a different cruise line. Would that make a difference, or would the cruise lines as a courtesy to each other provide the necessary test?

I wouldn't expect an answer immediately, odds are this will take a new policy. This is the type of situation where getting a PVP is almost the only good answer.

Since most Walgreens offer the ID Now test (15 minute test) and Carnival is accepting it for vaccinated passengers, it might not be too difficult to get tested in the time between cruises. Still very inconvenient. 

I wouldn't expect cooperation between cruise lines at this point, they are all scrambling too much internally to coordinate policies with other lines imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

And what if they were going on a Royal ship? It isn't Carnival's job for the first or second cruise. Not even if it was a s2s. 

Testing the unvaxed before debarkation is part of the protocol; testing vaccinated isn't. If you are going to test 1 vaccinated person, test all of them and that will take hours and hours. Maybe days 

The cruise lines could do it for one another as a reciprocal courtesy.

I'll give an example. When I was a teenager I worked one year in a pharmacy. If the pharmacist did not have a drug on hand that he received a prescription for, he would call another pharmacy. They would do this for one another to help the customers. I assume at some point, maybe the end of the month, they settled up their accounts.

You could help the industry as a whole with doing these tests. And in the specific case in this thread both cruises are Carnival. It sounds like their best, and maybe only solution, is to cancel at least one of the cruises. Please tell me how this is beneficial to Carnival. 

• Like 1

Instead of all the unknown just set an appointment for a rapid test for the day you disembark close to the port or your hotel.  There are CVS and Walgreens all over south FL and each allow you to make an appointment 14 days in advance.  You could set the appointment up before you ever leave for the first cruise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I wouldn't expect an answer immediately, odds are this will take a new policy. This is the type of situation where getting a PVP is almost the only good answer.

Since most Walgreens offer the ID Now test (15 minute test) and Carnival is accepting it for vaccinated passengers, it might not be too difficult to get tested in the time between cruises. Still very inconvenient. 

I wouldn't expect cooperation between cruise lines at this point, they are all scrambling too much internally to coordinate policies with other lines imo.

Brew12, the PVP suggestion is a very good idea; thanks for suggesting that!  We have been on so many cruises that my wife, who is very thorough, usually takes care of all of our bookings but this is indeed a unique circumstance.  We'll call back to get set up with a PVP who can run this down for us.  Thanks again for that great suggestion!

As Ontheweb stated, it would not be beneficial to Carnival for us to have to cancel a cruise because we can't get tested for the next cruise; I'd think they would want to work with us.  We shall see and I'll report back once we get a definitive answer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Instead of all the unknown just set an appointment for a rapid test for the day you disembark close to the port or your hotel.  There are CVS and Walgreens all over south FL and each allow you to make an appointment 14 days in advance.  You could set the appointment up before you ever leave for the first cruise.

That would be cutting it too close for us.  We don't want to risk not making our cruise on the Magic due to delays in getting results the day before we board.  Also, what if the Liberty gets back late?  That would be even less time to get tested before boarding the Magic the next day.  

21 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Except that many PVPs were giving out incorrect information for the first few days of this testing policy.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The cruise lines could do it for one another as a reciprocal courtesy.

The problem is resources on a cruise ship are limited and Carnival is likely only planning on performing so many tests. They can't afford to run out of testing supplies/time for testing those they are already on the hook to test, including any outbreaks on a ship.

It is a similar situation to refusing those on supplemental oxygen to cruise. Resources are limited.

6 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Except that many PVPs were giving out incorrect information for the first few days of this testing policy.

All sorts of people were passing out bad information. Fortunately, in this case, policy information isn't needed. They only need to set up to ensure that these particular cruisers are designated as getting a test at the end of their first cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ski_mom said:

If we book and test positive before our cruise, what kind of insurance would we have to have to get our money back for the cruise?

You need trip cancellation coverage for illness that does not exclude COVID; be sure to check for general exclusions for pandemics and epidemics. 

If you test positive you'll probably need a doctor or urgent care visit, even if you're asymptomatic, so they can write a note that you're advised not to travel. A positive test result alone probably won't be sufficient because most policies require documentation of a physician's advice or order not to travel, regardless of how obvious it is that you shouldn't be going on a cruise if you test positive for COVID.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The problem is resources on a cruise ship are limited and Carnival is likely only planning on performing so many tests. They can't afford to run out of testing supplies/time for testing those they are already on the hook to test, including any outbreaks on a ship.

It is a similar situation to refusing those on supplemental oxygen to cruise. Resources are limited.

As has been stated this is a unique situation; it is not like there will be many who get off the cruise and have a cruise not back to back but a day later. We are not talking about a lot of tests. And this could be planned for in advance.

I know you think Carnival can do no wrong, but give it a break.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

You need trip cancellation coverage for illness that does not exclude COVID; be sure to check for general exclusions for pandemics and epidemics. 

If you test positive you'll probably need a doctor or urgent care visit, even if you're asymptomatic, so they can write a note that you're advised not to travel. A positive test result alone probably won't be sufficient because most policies require documentation of a physician's advice or order not to travel, regardless of how obvious it is that you shouldn't be going on a cruise if you test positive for COVID.

Hasn't Carnival already said that if you test positive in the 14 days leading up to the cruise that you'll get a FCC automatically? No insurance needed.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vacruisin said:

That would be cutting it too close for us.  We don't want to risk not making our cruise on the Magic due to delays in getting results the day before we board.  Also, what if the Liberty gets back late?  That would be even less time to get tested before boarding the Magic the next day.  

You can get the monitored self tests to take on the trip with you. Can either use the ship's wifi or cellular data once you get back in range of Florida to take it. Those give you results in 15 minutes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

As has been stated this is a unique situation; it is not like there will be many who get off the cruise and have a cruise not back to back but a day later. We are not talking about a lot of tests. And this could be planned for in advance.

I know you think Carnival can do no wrong, but give it a break.

Carnival already has given a response. They aren't burger king.

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

50 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Hasn't Carnival already said that if you test positive in the 14 days leading up to the cruise that you'll get a FCC automatically? No insurance needed.

27 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Poster said they'd want their money back (not FCC).

Thank you all so much.  I would be fine with a FCC too.  Honestly, that sounds better than having to mess with all the documentation that insurance would require.  If we for some reason tested positive, we'd definitely use the funds at a later date.

Thanks again for setting my mind at ease!

Carnival already has given a response. They aren't burger king.

What exactly does "they aren't burger king" mean? You have me stumped.

And the response was first we'll have to check on that---which is fine, better than making stuff up. And then was you'll have to ask on the ship---which was not helpful at all to the potential passenger needing the information. Shouldn't there be a policy for the cruise line?

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What exactly does "they aren't burger king" mean? You have me stumped.

And the response was first we'll have to check on that---which is fine, better than making stuff up. And then was you'll have to ask on the ship---which was not helpful at all to the potential passenger needing the information. Shouldn't there be a policy for the cruise line?

You can't have it your way. It is more than a single case - for example, Canadians need to be tested before they fly home.

I see no way Carnival is going to say fine. The only chance I see is to ask once on the first cruise and that is very risky. I wouldn't chance it.

You can't have it your way. It is more than a single case - for example, Canadians need to be tested before they fly home.

I see no way Carnival is going to say fine. The only chance I see is to ask once on the first cruise and that is very risky. I wouldn't chance it.

So your advice to the passengers with 2 different Carnival cruises a day apart is cancel at least one? And you would also tell all Canadian passengers, forget it you are not going to be able to get home?

I would suggest Carnival get more test kits onboard.

There is one thing as a Carnival spokesperson you have convinced me to do. And that is (though I know it won't matter) is to vote no on all board members the next time a proxy vote comes up.

And I am still waiting for an explanation of the this is not Burger King comment.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So your advice to the passengers with 2 different Carnival cruises a day apart is cancel at least one? And you would also tell all Canadian passengers, forget it you are not going to be able to get home?

I would suggest Carnival get more test kits onboard.

There is one thing as a Carnival spokesperson you have convinced me to do. And that is (though I know it won't matter) is to vote no on all board members the next time a proxy vote comes up.

And I am still waiting for an explanation of the this is not Burger King comment.

Some people want more oxygen, others test kits, others more exemptions... It doesn't work like that. Carnival is mass market not customize to individual taste.

• Like 1

A “simple test” shouldn’t be this difficult…I have a PCR test scheduled for Saturday for my Tuesday sailing.  I’d like a “back up” option if the results do not come in on time.  Currently, my local Walgreens offers the BINAXNOW rapid antigen test.  If I can get an appointment for that, can anyone confirm  if this particular test would be acceptable to Carnival?

thank you in advance.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chefchick said:

A “simple test” shouldn’t be this difficult…I have a PCR test scheduled for Saturday for my Tuesday sailing.  I’d like a “back up” option if the results do not come in on time.  Currently, my local Walgreens offers the BINAXNOW rapid antigen test.  If I can get an appointment for that, can anyone confirm  if this particular test would be acceptable to Carnival?

thank you in advance.

It does appear that this test is acceptable as long as it’s administered at a facility like Walgreen’s, rather than self-administered. The problem I found with Walgreen’s is that at least in our area they are only offering appointments for same day or next day.  No scheduling for future dates beyond the next day. 

Just now, nwcruiselover said:

It does appear that this test is acceptable as long as it’s administered at a facility like Walgreen’s, rather than self-administered. The problem I found with Walgreen’s is that at least in our area they are only offering appointments for same day or next day.  No scheduling for future dates beyond the next day. 

That’s been my problem as well.  I was able to book the PCR test many days out at CVS but the quick turnaround tests at Walgreens can only be scheduled two days out at best (at least in the Seattle area).  I’m hoping I won’t need it, but I want to have some sort of back up if my PCR test results don’t come in soon enough to travel/board. 🤞. Thank you for the clarification.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Some people want more oxygen, others test kits, others more exemptions... It doesn't work like that. Carnival is mass market not customize to individual taste.

And some people want special diets. I suppose as a mass market cruise line that is also not accommodated.

Why should having extra test kits onboard be such a difficult thing to do?