Accidentally paid in full instead of just deposit....

raesive

So just booked our Transatlantic for next spring this past weekend (sure hope we can go!) and today I went to look over my bank account and noticed a higher than expected amount owed on our credit card. Turns out I somehow managed to pay in full instead of just the deposit. In terms of potential price changes between now and final payment due date, does this screw me over from trying to get a better deal? Or is it not a big deal? I can afford to pay it off, but had planned to just do the deposit for now. Still not sure how I missed this when booking, feeling pretty dumb right now.

In these uncertain times, I would not want any cruise line holding more of my money than the absolute minimum deposit required.  The two obvious things that might happen to make it difficult to get your money back later are:  1) the cruise gets cancelled and HAL only offers you FCC instead of a cash refund, or 2) CCL goes bankrupt because of worsening covid.  I would strongly urge you to contact HAL and get a refund for the difference now. 

• Like 5

Thanks for the advice! I called and asked them to refund the difference, and it went very easily and surprisingly quickly. I agree, I don't like them having so much money right now with all the Covid uncertainty. If these were pre-covid times, I would probably just pull some money from savings to cover the difference and not worry too much. A lot can change before the January final payment date!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, raesive said:

So just booked our Transatlantic for next spring this past weekend (sure hope we can go!) and today I went to look over my bank account and noticed a higher than expected amount owed on our credit card. Turns out I somehow managed to pay in full instead of just the deposit. In terms of potential price changes between now and final payment due date, does this screw me over from trying to get a better deal? Or is it not a big deal? I can afford to pay it off, but had planned to just do the deposit for now. Still not sure how I missed this when booking, feeling pretty dumb right now.

I did this once, too, so you are not alone. I called HAL, explained my error, and they refunded (pretty quickly) the overage. 

49 minutes ago, Galer99 said:

I did this once, too, so you are not alone. I called HAL, explained my error, and they refunded (pretty quickly) the overage. 

The lady I talked to said I was the second person she had worked with with that same issue today... makes me wonder if the website did something wrong when processing and it wasn't actually my mistake. 

• Like 1

A few years ago while we were on a cruise final payment date for the next one was due.  We had paid in full prior to sailing.  Without being prompted our PCC noticed a price drop and gave us refunds to our credit cards.  I only found out when we got home.  I thanked her for doing that for us.

3 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

DH had a similar experience recently. Thought he was just paying deposit but ended up as full payment. Now that I read these same reports, sure sounds like a HAL website issue.

I almost made this mistake recently.  And I've booked lots of cruises myself.  The default was preselected as pay in full.  I couldn't swear to it, but seems like before, there was no default set.  That or something else has changed in the check-out process.  I was kinda stunned when I caught myself.

yes I know as they conveniently have the "in full" circle filled in.

Ya do have to be careful when checking out on any cruise line.  I did this for another one and immediately called and they processed a credit less the deposit required.

to stop tricking folks and stop auto filling in the payment type.  So annoying  Grrrrrrr

Are you sure there is an option to only pay a deposit?

I was watching a cruise over New Years, and when I checked in June, final was due in about a week.😨 In my book, that’s about 3 months too early. Especially with the uncertainties of Covid.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

Are you sure there is an option to only pay a deposit?

I was watching a cruise over New Years, and when I checked in June, final was due in about a week.😨 In my book, that’s about 3 months too early. Especially with the uncertainties of Covid.

Oh there definitely was the option, this cruise isn't till April and the full amount isn't due until January. I definitely saw it on there, but I guess I missed the "default" option where it ignores that and pays in full... heh.

Your holiday cruise seems like the final payment ought to be in Sept/Oct, usually it is 90 days out, so it's pretty odd that yours was so soon.

• Like 2