Flights by Celebrity....What's the point??

gjohns24

Just got off the phone with Celebrity and was shocked to discover they have harsher penalties than the airlines.  I have a one-way flight booked to our September cruise and wanted to make a change to our flight (it's a long story but essentially I wanted to cancel and rebook a round-trip).  The rep told me that it would be a $200 charge per ticket to make the change.  I asked "So even though Delta wouldn't charge me for a change, because I booked through you guys, I'm on the hook for a change fee?"  I couldn't believe it!  She offered to book us another one-way ticket (and leave the originally reservation untouched) to avoid the fee, but I politely told her that I would much rather book directly with Delta knowing what I know now.

This will definitely be the last time I book flights through Celebrity...I don't really see the point!

I have not been booking with them post covid.    For my flights I found the same prices as the airlines and like you said no extra $200 per ticket to change after final payment.

I guess the upside is you can book about 11 months out and not have to pay anything up until final payment and the tickets are 100% refundable (most of the time). 

• Like 3

Agree with Jim.  If X cancels, they eat the ticket, and nothing due until final is due.

As to fares, you have to shop, using X air as a data point.  They have offered me what must have been consolidator fares for international flights that the airlines couldn't touch - for the same flights.

• Like 2

We tried to book yesterday based on the website fare.  When we called(after not being able to submit on the website), the fare quoted was 35% more. The $200 CXL fee was part of the picture if we changed.  I was told to try a different browser to get the better fare--what?  We booked directly with the airline after realizing the great fare really didn't exist.

• Thanks 1

I became a fan of Celebrity Air in March 2020 when our cruise was turned around 2 days in.  They got all new flights and got us home safely with no extra fees.  My brother spent the day on the phone trying to get flights. Yes he succeeded but lost that day at sea.  Our last in mannnny months.  

We made final payment today on our next cruise with air.  I hope it goes but it’s one last thing to worry about to cancel if not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had the same issue and won’t be using them again unless it’s an amazing deal.  We couldn’t book online so I called.  We had 5 tickets to book, under 3 different reservations.  Booked the first one and paid, and then the fare for the other 3 went up! Don’t care for the $200 change fee either! 

When things go well, then it’s only a matter of comparing fares, and payment dates. Relatively easy.

When things don’t go so well, like for our Asian cruise in March 2020, which was first, rerouted after final payment changing our ports of departure and final destination, and then subsequently cancelled two or three weeks later, I really appreciated having booked our flights via Flights by Celebrity.

Our flights were initially changed to reflect our new itinerary and tickets re-issued (no additional costs and no hassle); and then cancelled and promptly fully refunded.

In my opinion, in every choice we make when travelling, there are risks involved. Then it’s up to each traveller to choose which risk is more appealing to them. 

Unfortunately, as I have read on these boards, sometimes people choose a risk for whichever reason, and then, when things go awry on them, they look for someone to blame like an airline, a TA or a cruise line instead of doing a bit of introspection.... But, I guess, it’s part of our human nature.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We used CA to book our business class seats for our Flights to Spain in September for our Infinity cruise.  The cost was $3300pp, which was way less than we could do when we booked. After final payment Celebrity cancels the cruise, but we got full $6600 cash refund in a week. If we had booked ourselves we would have received a flight credit with Delta that would be good for 1 year, I was extremely happy with CA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We used CA to book our business class seats for our Flights to Spain in September for our Infinity cruise.  The cost was $3300pp, which was way less than we could do when we booked. After final payment Celebrity cancels the cruise, but we got full $6600 cash refund in a week. If we had booked ourselves we would have received a flight credit with Delta that would be good for 1 year, I was extremely happy with CA. 

One other thing about CA, my flights to Spain were changed by the airlines, AA and Delta 4 or 5 times prior to cancelation. One change had us arriving in Barcelona the day after the cruise was to depart.  Every time it took a phone call and about 10 minutes to change to acceptable flights with CA. I tried to call Delta about one change and was told there was a 5 hours wit for a CS rep.

We used CA for our flights this month to FLL and got $100pp discounts due to a X promo which netted us a $596 first class fare from San Antonio to FLL. Last Saturday the Edge did not arrive home to FLL until 5pm and anyone with flights home on Saturday had to change flights. My sister and BIL were on that cruise and booked their own flights and spent hours on the phone Saturday to rebook. Everyone who used CA had no problems as X took care of rebooking and getting passengers home with no added costs.

• Like 2

Never used Celebrity Air until covid. 

The peace of mind knowing that any cancellation is handled by X without having to deal with airlines/trip insurance is a big plus.

Rates were the same as what we could have booked direct with Delta, though X doesn't offer the no-frills/no-seat assignment fare, which was fine with us.   

I have never changed a flight in my life, except for business trips, so the fare for doing so wasn't on my radar at all.  Can't say it's a deterrent for the future, either. 

12 hours ago, gjohns24 said:

Just got off the phone with Celebrity and was shocked to discover they have harsher penalties than the airlines.  I have a one-way flight booked to our September cruise and wanted to make a change to our flight (it's a long story but essentially I wanted to cancel and rebook a round-trip).  The rep told me that it would be a $200 charge per ticket to make the change.  I asked "So even though Delta wouldn't charge me for a change, because I booked through you guys, I'm on the hook for a change fee?"  I couldn't believe it!  She offered to book us another one-way ticket (and leave the originally reservation untouched) to avoid the fee, but I politely told her that I would much rather book directly with Delta knowing what I know now.

This will definitely be the last time I book flights through Celebrity...I don't really see the point!

Yes, it can be quite disappointing to know this under such circumstances, yet we need to remember that X uses, in many instances, Consolidator Tickets which have different fare rules and policies.

If we remember this, then we ask in advance. Part of the attraction of using Flights By X is the ability to pay for the flights at the final cruise payment date.

I do accept that for many pay by final cruise payment date is not a factor vs price.

Yes, this experience is not what you wanted or thought you would get when desiring to make a change and as such booking direct with the airline(s) is most likely best for you.

My only other question is: is the $200 change fee included in the new pricing still less or more for what you would have paid by booking direct for no change fee? If not, then booking direct is the best way, if so one is still ahead and paying a lower price overall.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yes, it can be quite disappointing to know this under such circumstances, yet we need to remember that X uses, in many instances, Consolidator Tickets which have different fare rules and policies.

If we remember this, then we ask in advance. Part of the attraction of using Flights By X is the ability to pay for the flights at the final cruise payment date.

I do accept that for many pay by final cruise payment date is not a factor vs price.

Yes, this experience is not what you wanted or thought you would get when desiring to make a change and as such booking direct with the airline(s) is most likely best for you.

My only other question is: is the $200 change fee included in the new pricing still less or more for what you would have paid by booking direct for no change fee? If not, then booking direct is the best way, if so one is still ahead and paying a lower price overall.

bon voyage

Bo

We just used Flights by Celebrity to book airfare for our upcoming cruise in November. The current promotion saved us $100 pp over the same fare if we booked directly with the airline, so not an “earth shattering” difference.

We actually needed to make a change before final payment, so we were able to do that without any change fees. Making the change was very easy and our wait time on the phone was minimal. That was a plus, as wait times for direct airline servicing calls can be frustrating.

All of that goes out the window if we need to make a change after final payment, as that is when the the $200pp change fee kicks in. Flights by Celebrity were very good about advising us of all conditions ahead of time so there were no surprises.

Randy

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Bo

We just used Flights by Celebrity to book airfare for our upcoming cruise in November. The current promotion saved us $100 pp over the same fare if we booked directly with the airline, so not an “earth shattering” difference.

We actually needed to make a change before final payment, so we were able to do that without any change fees. Making the change was very easy and our wait time on the phone was minimal. That was a plus, as wait times for direct airline servicing calls can be frustrating.

All of that goes out the window if we need to make a change after final payment, as that is when the the $200pp change fee kicks in. Flights by Celebrity were very good about advising us of all conditions ahead of time so there were no surprises.

Randy

Promo?  What's the current promo, Randy?

Nevermind.  "Save $100pp on flights".  Had to go to the Flights by Celebrity page to see that. 

Edited by D C

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yes, it can be quite disappointing to know this under such circumstances, yet we need to remember that X uses, in many instances, Consolidator Tickets which have different fare rules and policies.  bon voyage

Agree - In my couple of experiences, the contract fare code doesn't allow later ticket upgrades.  I once booked main cabin early intending to monitor Comfort+ price upgrade later.  Then closer to sail date when I went to add Comfort+, the agent said my fare class didn't allow upgrade. So ask air agent about upgrade fee and when initially reserving.  Also I've read reports about different airlines limiting advance seat selection with these fare codes - essentially being treated like you bought basic economy.  Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are advantages to booking with Celebrity Air.  Among them  is getting an agent rather quickly and not making payment until the cruises'  final payment.  You also can get very good one way fares overseas.  You need to compare apples to apples.  There may be an attractive airfare listed but you may be comparing  a basic economy fare with economy.  Got to do your homework regarding fees and make changes before final payment.

Edited by keesar
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Bo

Randy

Randy - this situation makes a lot of sense now, to me at least, maybe the OP did not remember this from the initial booking or wished it was different?

bon voyage

1 hour ago, greydog said:

Also I've read reports about different airlines limiting advance seat selection with these fare codes -

My experience with seat selection has been good and bad. Delta and United will let you go online and chose seats as soon as you book with CA, all you need is the record locater number when you book with CA.  American will not let you change seats online but a call to CA and they can book seats. British Airways is the worse, you can not choose seats prior to 24 hours before flights even in Business class unless you go online and pay an advance seat selection fee of $156, even CA can not book seats with BA.  I will go out of my way to fly with BA from now on. On our canceled flights to Spain we had one leg coming home on BA, we paid the $156pp fee to choose seats and when the cruise was canceled BA refused to refund the $156 and we were in business class.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My experience with seat selection has been good and bad. Delta and United will let you go online and chose seats as soon as you book with CA, all you need is the record locater number when you book with CA.  American will not let you change seats online but a call to CA and they can book seats. British Airways is the worse, you can not choose seats prior to 24 hours before flights even in Business class unless you go online and pay an advance seat selection fee of $156, even CA can not book seats with BA.  I will go out of my way to fly with BA from now on. On our canceled flights to Spain we had one leg coming home on BA, we paid the $156pp fee to choose seats and when the cruise was canceled BA refused to refund the $156 and we were in business class.

t - I believe with most airlines where there is a seat selection fee, it is usually not refundable after payment... although I Am sure there are a few anomalies for this out there.

bon voyage

Just now, Bo1953 said:

t - I believe with most airlines where there is a seat selection fee, it is usually not refundable after payment... although I Am sure there are a few anomalies for this out there.

bon voyage

Bo, we had a cruise that was canceled last year on HAL and we booked flights to Athens with their air service. We were able to choose seats on every airline through their online air selection, even BA with no advance seat selection fee. BTW, we prefer sailing with Celebrity buy HAL's air online is miles better than Celebrity's, so much user friendly. Even after booking air through their site you can monitor flights and costs and make changes to flights and seats without having to call HAL, it is all done online.

• Thanks 1

If I use CA at all, it's usually for flights TO Europe.  I normally use mileage FROM.  The CA fare for business from LHR to Orlando in April is/was $8900.😂 (I could buy the entire necessary mileage for $1800!)  I've already decided to skip Europe this spring and canceled my mileage flight yesterday.  Miles returned instantly to account and tax refund already has shown up as pending on my credit card today.  Come November, I'll see if the fares to Rome are decent for Oct 2022.  Fare would definitely need to be less than ~$1800 to be worth a $200 cancel/change fee.  

Thanks for the replies everybody!  Some good points.  For those who had delays getting back to port - I can see how booking through CA is essentially "free" travel insurance in these situations.  

Like many of you, I was unable to book online so called to make my reservation.  The $200 fee was never mentioned in that call, though I reviewed the T&C's afterwards and it was obviously stated there, so shame on me for not doing my homework beforehand.

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

@Bo1953 - To answer your question, our flights were actually less than the $200 fee to begin with so it never would have made sense to pay the fee for any reason.  In a later post you mention the $100 promo CA has right now.  This was actually the reason I wanted to cancel our original one-way flights.  They were actually only about $50 (MIA>LAX on delta in Main...crazy deal), so when we wanted to add on a return flight I figured it would make the most sense to cancel, and rebook both flights together so we could take advantage of the full $100 promo.  This is when I found out about the fee.  So pricewise, we did still come out ahead by booking through Celebrity, but to me I'd rather maintain the ability to change my flight if something comes up even if I lose that $100 promo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's probably also worth noting....it was almost exactly a year ago that Delta got rid of their change fees.  Prior to that, being able to make changes prior to final payment would have been a HUGE advantage to CA.  Only a year, and I've already become so spoiled....

I'm also Diamond with Delta, so they generally are pretty flexible with making last minute flight changes when something comes up and not requiring me to pay the fare difference.

Thanks for opening my eyes everybody!  I was pretty annoyed when I made my OG post.  I'll probably still avoid CA in the future (except if they have much cheaper fares), but definitely better understand the argument for them now!

• Thanks 1