The Daily for Wednesday August 11, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, everyone!

Boy, I sure did sleep in today!   Once I got to sleep last night, I slept well.   

I'd love to play in the sand today but there is no beach nearby.   No kids, so no sons or daughters.  In grade school one of our teachers tried to teach us all calligraphy.  That didn't work out so well.

Today's meal sounds really good and falls squarely in the comfort food category.  I'd make it but there are too many carbs for me.   

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/sloppy-joe-mac-n-cheese/

Sloppy-Joe-Mac-n-Cheese-tasteandtellblog.com-2.thumb.jpg.ecf49a093644f4386c0567e8d711e260.jpg

Doing laundry today and then packing to head to Michigan for a few days.  We have a family picnic on Saturday.   We cancelled last year's picnic due to the pandemic and I haven't seen some of my family members since Christmas of 2019.   Looking forward to it.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Another very hot day here. So glad we have air conditioning. I will certainly celebrate son and daughter day since I have one great son and two wonderful daughters.

Sam had his first out patient PT yesterday. He was able to walk 125 feet with just the PT walking along side him. He has to still use the walker outside by himself and the cane in the house, but the good news is that he will make a good recovery. 
Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  Wow, that sloppy joe mac n cheese picture looks good.  Thanks Debbie, and have a great visit to Michigan to visit family.  I wish we were there this week like we had planned.

Interesting days to celebrate today.  I'm blessed with both a son and daughter so will be happy to celebrate them.  Play in the sand sounds good but none near me to play in.  I admire those who can do calligraphy.  The quote today is so true!  

Thanks to @richwmnfor the Daily today, to @rafinmdfor the lists, @kazufor her memes and darling doggie photo today, our wine and drink ladies, and all who post here.  My prayers to all who need them, cheers for the celebrants today as well.

We have seen Nawiliwili three times on Princess ships, the Diamond once and the Golden twice.  Nawiliwili is one of my favorite spots to watch the sail in.  It's such a twisty, turny entrance that can only be done during daytime hours.  If a tour is late and the sun is coming down, the ship must leave without them and wait outside the harbor.  Otherwise the ship is forced to stay until morning.  We did a tour of Waimea Canyon, Wailua River, the Fern Grotto, viewed Opaekaa Falls and enjoyed lunch in a hotel as part of the tour.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhzBOqbmIz1KC3hWCbmL7u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

See the tug boat in this photo?  The ship must squeeze between the land/rocks on both the left and right where the tug boat is, then turn to port 90 degrees to miss the land right there in front of you, move over to the water on the left side, then turn completely around facing out.  I imagine if the winds are too high you would have to cancel your visit.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNkWMTwk-Mu_qjLUHoDvCB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Squeezing through.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxxPbct90O7UGrX9JmYrxx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Turning 90 degrees.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKebEE05_2rpWySYkkn-4cu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Quite a feat!!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, again!

I have been to Hawaii many times, but only twice to Kauai.  The first time was in 1970 (first trip to the Islands), and way before digital.  The second was our last trip to Hawaii which was  LA-Tahiti-LA cruise on Star Princess in 2013.

In 2013 we did dock at Nawiliwili and had arranged a flight seeing tour with Wings Over Kauai 👍.  We ended up his only two passengers -- love a private tour!

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.de779f9bda2dadfd1241e936dce08caa.jpg

IMG_0018.thumb.jpg.3cee0ca8edeb2205cf679a031baa4553.jpg

IMG_0033.thumb.jpg.f294bffec67653047cc6e1017a13f5a9.jpg

DSC04458.thumb.jpg.3f32b0368824a83708d6e79ea5fa4336.jpg

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.285030be10216da04700782956035841.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Good morning, again!

I have been to Hawaii many times, but only twice to Kauai.  The first time was in 1970 (first trip to the Islands), and way before digital.  The second was our last trip to Hawaii which was  LA-Tahiti-LA cruise on Star Princess in 2013.

In 2013 we did dock at Nawiliwili and had arranged a flight seeing tour with Wings Over Kauai 👍.  We ended up his only two passengers -- love a private tour!

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.de779f9bda2dadfd1241e936dce08caa.jpg

IMG_0018.thumb.jpg.3cee0ca8edeb2205cf679a031baa4553.jpg

IMG_0033.thumb.jpg.f294bffec67653047cc6e1017a13f5a9.jpg

DSC04458.thumb.jpg.3f32b0368824a83708d6e79ea5fa4336.jpg

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.285030be10216da04700782956035841.jpg

Nice pics from the plane.  The falls look so tiny from up there.

Do you have any more photos of the harbor where the ship was docked?  One showing the treacherous route in?  That is exactly where our ships docked, facing outward.  Just getting in there and docked makes you dizzy!

• Like 16

Good morning Rich:

I got up a bit later today. Thank you for posting the DAILY fleet report.

Have been to the port of the day when I sailed to "The Garden Isle on both the Statendam  and on the Zaandam.   Like Sloppy Joes but too old for mac and cheese.    I have heard of Brooklyn but not the drink of Brooklyn.  Have a great day.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Salutes to Sons and Daughters, playing in the sand and calligraphers.  I've been to Kauai on a land trip but it was many years ago.  The Gould quote is a winner, and Sloppy Joe Mac & Cheese sounds nice.  My alternative is Venison Sausage and Vegetable Soup, Pork Chop with Parsnip Puree, and Peach Crisp A La Mode as I might have enjoyed August 11, 1997 on MS Rotterdam.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL with aggressive abdominal cancer
Copeland with breakthrough Covid
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8 on a BHB
Nieus Aamsterdam in Sirka
Sam moving to outpatient PR
Ger_77's family visit
NextOne outthinking the MVA
The thunder of a calving glacier
3 days for Boytje
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for boyh lists Roy.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Hump Day!  I love to play in the sand every chance I get.  Only have a daughter, but have a wonderful DGS.  I took Calligraphy classes decades ago, but never could quite master it.  I like the quote and the meal.  Have not made it to Hawaii yet, looking forward to the photo's.  The photo's from yesterday's port were just fantastic.  Wonderful Celebration list and continued prayers for our care list.

We have another storm bearing down on Florida.  And our cruise is in 143 days.....yea!!!

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Brooklyn cocktail:

Ingredients

• 2 ounces rye or other whiskey
  • 1 ounce dry vermouth
  • 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
  • 1/4 ounce Amer Picon, Ramazzotti, or a few dashes Angostura or orange bitters

Directions

1. Combine ingredients with ice and stir until well-chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 7.46.11 AM.png

Summer Slope, I never heard of this drink before,  Perhaps I might try it but do not bet on it.

• Like 8

Good morning from central Texas where its hot and windy.

We'll celebrate our two wonderful daughters and their guys.  Calligraphy always looks so nice, but I'm lucky if I can read my writing.  We're not beach people unless we're snorkeling.

Like the quote.  We'll pass on the meal suggestion, the drink and the wine.  I'm not sure what dinner will be tonight.

@mamaofami  Carol, such good news about Sam's progress.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels and have a great visit with your family.

We've been to Nawiliwili many times, but will have to look for pictures later.  We usually rent a car and drive around the island, but in 2007 on a Hawaii-Tahiti-Hawaii cruise on Pacific Princess we did a Na Pali coast cruise and the Hollywood tour,  both of which were great.

Right now, in spite of plenty of wine in the house, I still have to clean the house.  I wait until I cannot stand it, then get it all done in one day.  I'd rather mow the yard.

Lenda 

• Like 21

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, that sloppy joe mac n cheese picture looks good.  Thanks Debbie, and have a great visit to Michigan to visit family.  I wish we were there this week like we had planned.

I wish you could have gone to Michigan as well.   I took my own advice and got an at home rapid test kit.   I wanted to make sure I wasn't asymptomatic and carrying something to the rest of the family.   There will be young children there who can't be vaccinated and the adults have a duty to protect them.  I was elated that mine came out negative.  But I expected it.

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

I wish you could have gone to Michigan as well.   I took my own advice and got an at home rapid test kit.   I wanted to make sure I wasn't asymptomatic and carrying something to the rest of the family.   There will be young children there who can't be vaccinated and the adults have a duty to protect them.  I was elated that mine came out negative.  But I expected it.

I'm sure they will all appreciate you going the extra mile for their safety.  Very caring of you.

• Like 15

I wasn't sure that 'Brooklyn' was a drink, then I found this.

"A member of the family of cocktails named for the boroughs of New York City, the Brooklyn often takes a back seat to its far more famous cousins, the Manhattan and Bronx cocktails. But this elegant classic, essentially a modified Manhattan with a touch of Martinez, has gained favor in recent years and has even been spun off into a number of riffs named after the borough’s distinct neighborhoods, including the Red Hook, Greenpoint and several more.  "

I'll have to  check on the other possibilities.

On another note, I saw a post on FB that Haifa, Israel was replaced with Limassol, Cyrus. Can anyone confirm that? It is not (yet) on the HAL website itinerary. Also, if anyone receives an email showing itinerary changes please let me know. Thanks

• Like 23

15 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@StLouisCruisers how about these? 😁

IMG_0052.thumb.jpg.23a545c292dd919475154204ccd04c87.jpg

IMG_0053.thumb.jpg.82c6aee2387a729f80785c42f9b44510.jpg

Yes!  You can tell there are outcroppings of land or rocks (breakwater) on either side of the entrance then directly ahead is more land (parking lot actually located there).  Very hard for a ship to enter and turn and remain between the buoys.  Then when they get in that little harbor area where sailboats anchor they have to turn all the way around to dock with their port side along the dock.  Amazing amount of work!

• Like 17

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Salutes to Sons and Daughters, playing in the sand and calligraphers.  I've been to Kauai on a land trip but it was many years ago.  The Gould quote is a winner, and Sloppy Joe Mac & Cheese sounds nice.  My alternative is Venison Sausage and Vegetable Soup, Pork Chop with Parsnip Puree, and Peach Crisp A La Mode as I might have enjoyed August 11, 1997 on MS Rotterdam.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL with aggressive abdominal cancer
Copeland with breakthrough Covid
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8 on a BHB
Nieus Aamsterdam in Sirka
Sam moving to outpatient PR
Ger_77's family visit
NextOne outthinking the MVA
The thunder of a calving glacier
3 days for Boytje
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you, Roy, for the laugh about the MVA! I admit that I did give myself an attaboy! (attagirl?)

Love beach sand and salute my DS and DDIL!

Thanks to everyone for this lovely spot. Have a great day and stay well!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Boy, I sure did sleep in today!   Once I got to sleep last night, I slept well.   

I'd love to play in the sand today but there is no beach nearby.   No kids, so no sons or daughters.  In grade school one of our teachers tried to teach us all calligraphy.  That didn't work out so well.

Today's meal sounds really good and falls squarely in the comfort food category.  I'd make it but there are too many carbs for me.   

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/sloppy-joe-mac-n-cheese/

Sloppy-Joe-Mac-n-Cheese-tasteandtellblog.com-2.thumb.jpg.ecf49a093644f4386c0567e8d711e260.jpg

Doing laundry today and then packing to head to Michigan for a few days.  We have a family picnic on Saturday.   We cancelled last year's picnic due to the pandemic and I haven't seen some of my family members since Christmas of 2019.   Looking forward to it.

Debbie - Have a safe trip!

The last time I was in Kauai was 1999, when DM & I sailed on the American Hawaiian's Independence to celebrate her 85th birthday. We took our first (and only) helicopter ride at sunset and saw a circular rainbow -- absolutely amazing! Looking forward to returning next Feb. with DSis.

I've made a note to ask for a Brooklyn at the Ocean Bar in October - a salute to my parents, plus it looks yummy!!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Another very hot day here. So glad we have air conditioning. I will certainly celebrate son and daughter day since I have one great son and two wonderful daughters.

Sam had his first out patient PT yesterday. He was able to walk 125 feet with just the PT walking along side him. He has to still use the walker outside by himself and the cane in the house, but the good news is that he will make a good recovery. 
Stay safe everyone.

Carol

That is great news on Sam, Carol 👍 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good for you on being careful 👍 Safe travels and have fun 🙂 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I wasn't sure that 'Brooklyn' was a drink, then I found this.

"A member of the family of cocktails named for the boroughs of New York City, the Brooklyn often takes a back seat to its far more famous cousins, the Manhattan and Bronx cocktails. But this elegant classic, essentially a modified Manhattan with a touch of Martinez, has gained favor in recent years and has even been spun off into a number of riffs named after the borough’s distinct neighborhoods, including the Red Hook, Greenpoint and several more.  "

I'll have to  check on the other possibilities.

On October 20, 2020, the Bronx Cocktail was the DoD and @Overhead Fred posted

The five boroughs of New York all have a cocktail named after them, except for Staten Island. However, there is a Staten Island Ferry cocktail (coconut rum and pineapple juice). I think most folks are familiar with the Manhattan (whiskey, sweet vermouth, bitters), the Brooklyn (rye, dry vermouth, maraschino liquor, and Amer Picon or bitters) and the Bronx (today’s cocktail). The Queens may be less well known, but it is pretty much a Bronx with the orange juice replaced with pineapple

• Like 11

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

That is grest news Carol. Tell Sam to keep up the good work. The secret to PT is doing the work. If you slack off it only makes the recovery longer snd more difficult.

• Like 14