The Daily for Wednesday August 11, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@grapau27I noticed that in the photo at the beach today you are wearing socks with USA on them.  I appreciate that, but wonder if you have any socks with UK on them?  Did you buy your socks in the USA?  Curious minds want to know!

Thanks for asking Sandi.

I bought them as well as numerous shorts in the IZOD sports outlets in the Designer outlet malls in Orlando.

We have been 30 times to the US and love the US and it's citizens.

I have a number of socks with ENGLAND on too.

Graham.

IMG_20190123_112702.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  Whew, made it here before the number changed on the calendar!  I actually missed yesterday, the first time in forever that I wasn't able to get to the computer to post.  This is the reason why I'm finally able to get some screen time:  Sleep.JPG.1da97d14ecd310db03080239d74fbac3.JPG

It's very, very quiet in here right now - his older brother is having some down time watching a movie, parents are taking a walk, DH is mowing the lawn, and I'm here.  There's generalized chaos in the house when both boys are awake, but I wouldn't have it any other way - it's an absolute delight to have them here after all this time.

We were supposed to play in the sand today, but it rained heavily last night, so the nearby beach won't be that pleasant.  We're ever so grateful for whatever rain we can get at this point.  We're blessed to have a son who has grown from a sweet little boy to a kind and caring husband and father.  I love calligraphy - when I was pregnant, DH and I both took a couple of classes, after which I did all of our baby announcements in calligraphy.  

I'd like to make today's menu suggestion, but oldest DGS doesn't care for mac & cheese - he says it's the texture.  Instead, we're having a regular barbecue with hamburgers, hot dogs, Caesar salad, Greek salad and peach pie for dessert.  And wine. . . which now has a new name "Grandma Juice."  LOL

@dfishI'm excited for you being able to travel to Michigan - enjoy your visit!

@mamaofamigreat news about Sam's progress

@StLouisCruisers sorry to hear about your neighbours - will add them to the prayer list, hoping for full recovery for both of them.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks for asking Sandi.

I bought them as well as numerous shorts in the IZOD sports outlets in the Designer outlet malls in Orlando.

We have been 30 times to the US and love the US and it's citizens.

I have a number of socks with ENGLAND on too.

Graham.

IMG_20190123_112702.jpg

Awesome!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisersSending prayers for Copeland and Brenda.

Me too, Sandi! And I am so glad you two are ok. 

Many symptoms of the Delta variant mimic every day sinus/allergy symptoms. Even more so than the Alpha variant.

I had been using double cloth masks, but I have now graduated to KN95 masks with a decorative cloth one over it. 

Everyone be careful!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hadn't heard anything from my neighbor about Copeland so I left a message on his daughter Brenda's phone asking about her and Copeland's health.  Five minutes later my phone rang and it was Brenda's husband Paul.  He said Brenda is not doing well.  She still has a high fever and is pretty much staying in bed, 10 to 11 days after her first symptoms.  He also said Copeland is still hospitalized but raring to get out of there.  No visitors allowed!  His oxygen levels are still low 90's and he's on 100% oxygen.  What awful news!  I told him I'd continue praying for their complete recovery.  Even with all that worry for his family he still asked how DH and I were doing.  Thank goodness we're still fine. 

Paul was initially infected with the virus by having a birthday dinner with their 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend.  They had it but didn't know, therefore Paul caught it sitting next to her at dinner, then passed it on to his wife and FIL.  

What a mess!

Sending our prayers 🙏 for your neighbours.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Woke to the windchimes clattering away. A windy morning. 

We stayed on the south side Lihue area at a Marriott once. After that visit we chose the other side of Kauai (Princeville Westin). Loved snorkeling with the turtle's in several spots on the island.

Jacqui those dogs are so cute. And I have the quote on friends in a cookbook I wrote.

@DeeniEncinitas would love to wiggle my toes in the sand with you right now at the Barefoot bar, mai tai in hand!

image.png.ce6c75d70a97260b5612730f2d2e225e.png

A dear friend of mine writes beautiful calligraphy. I really look forward to her cards and letters. An appointment this morning,  Mahjongg this afternoon and pork tenderloin tonight.

Wishing you a blessed day. Prayers and Cheers

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha, Good morning!!

Yesterday was a busy day! We did a lot of work with our koi pond and before we knew it the day passed.!!

”PLAY IN THE SAND DAY!!” 😆 LOL!

Everyday is that for us!!

@Seasick Sailor

🌺Dear Joy, I would love to wiggle our toes in the sand enjoying Mia Tias  together!!

We love their happy hour👍
image.thumb.jpeg.b0f07e440b0227373830948b8a5719c1.jpeg
we were there of Friday!

@cat shepard🌺Sweet sis!! Now here is a winner!! We love this champagne but we buy the orange label at Costco!! Here in Maui we paid $42.99. Sometimes I can get it at my local Seaside Market for $39.99. Have a great day and hope your knee is healing well👍

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Been to Nawiliwili and is a special place for us!! Back in 1976 we were their and I found out We were going to be parents!!

I have a big smile on my face right now because everyday is Daughter day for us!! Here are some pictures.

image.thumb.jpeg.11d1a8057c8d5c386fda6ea1bb6ba568.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e6d3987f749cebfd0826cf4bcc82273b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.87f1946c143b0204f620de03d8bd9c23.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.c32ddeb8484740e094c4c09d0daa388b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2efcd60ecac11e9abd1c28472d799b1e.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.f5f53fe3684b96473c27189a7bb0873d.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I just mailed my painting to Shawn!!!

This is a very late birthday gift to her!

image.thumb.jpeg.5ee9b8b6844a9b1dd96a5f2d60a6d1d1.jpeg

Mahalo all!!

My prayers go out to so many beautiful CCERS who are going through so much!!

Big virtual hugs

Denise😊

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Roy, I appreciate you keeping our lists! Morning Dailyite family! Haircut day for me today! Hawaii is magical, though I have never made it to today’s island.  Guess I need to go back. 

Mostly a lazy day for me today. Good thing too, since the humidity has come back. And no breeze!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut

This sparkler has excellent ratings and a price that isn’t too crazy! If you are a member of Sam’s Club, or Costco, you might look there. Both of them came up in Google, so they might carry it.  And it would definitely be priced lower there. Lots of online distributors with prices starting at $40.95. I mean who doesn’t like a “racy” wine with a “plump palate”?

Thank you @Mr. Bostonfor sharing your experiences with this wine. I am not certain I have ever had it. 

Winemaker Notes

Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label is the signature champagne of the House. Dominated by Pinot Noir, it offers a perfect balance of structure and finesse. First, Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label looks beautiful: golden-yellow, with a foaming necklace of tiny bubbles. Next it is so pleasing to the nose: initially reminiscent of yellow and white fruits, then of vanilla and later of brioche. Note the fine balance between the fruity aromas coming from the grape varieties and the toasty aromas, the result of the three years of bottle aging. The first sip delivers all the freshness and strength so typical of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label with a symphony of fruit tastes following (pear, lemon). Here is a true member of the Brut family, well structured, admirably vinous. The lingering aromas echo and re-echo, with each fruit or almond notes distinct. Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label manages to reconcile two opposing factors - strength and silkiness - and to hold them in perfect balance with aromatic intensity and a lot of freshness.

This consistent power to please makes it ideal as an apéritif, and perfect as the champagne to enjoy with a meal.

D94 Decanter: Lemony richness on the nose, a struck match character that falls in with lemon vanilla note. Toffee apple allure on the palate with chalky coolness & savoury nutty finish.

WW92 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: Medium straw, yellow color; complex aromas of ripe apple and light cream, excellent depth and persistence; medium bodied, active and layered on the palate; dry, medium acidity, well balanced; bright and beautiful ripe fruit and cream in the flavors; medium finish, lasting impression in the aftertaste. 

JS92 James Suckling: Some oyster shell, berry biscuits, fresh strawberries and gently toasty brioche here. Lots to like. The palate is plump and flavorsome with plenty of berries and citrus intertwined. Good depth here. Grapefruit finish.

WS90 Wine Spectator: This is tightly knit and racy, with a spicy underpinning and a clean-cut mix of poached pear, grated ginger and pink grapefruit zest. An aperitif style, showing a crisp, lacy finish.

One of  my faves!  Tightly knit and racy,  beats the mushrooms the other day! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon,  very late to the party!   But glad I didn’t miss the Champagne!  
We’ve been to Kauai a few times,  encountered a tropical storm one trip,  a gorgeous island albeit more rainy.   We stayed near a pretty amazing cactus garden, sadly the photos are on my old computer.  

Great news the purple jalapeños are  making an appearance.   Not so the black pearls, yet! 

E87C3397-B95D-4B90-A6C4-BF7BC3F6BE20.jpeg

DAF0DC3B-58AD-46C2-94B4-A93846001E36.jpeg

• Like 19

Good afternoon.  I'm later than I intended since I got a late start with the housecleaning.  But it is not done.

@dfish  Debbie, what a good idea to get a covid test, and great news that it was negative.  Have a great trip.

@kb4683 Like @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I am getting the message they can't find your picture.  I guess our gremlins strike again.  😁

@aliaschief  Enjoying your posts and glad the cruise is going well, except for the weather.

@Sharon in AZ  I also have my mother's recipe file, which I treasure.  During the past year, I have gone back to making some of my childhood favorites.  Luckily, DH likes them.  The neice of one of my DF's friends who had the most popular restaurants in our town, wrote two cookbooks featuring the favorite rrecipes from the restaurants along with some of their family favorites.  They bring back may great memories.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I''m sorry your neighbor is still so sick and that Copeland's oxygen levels are still low.  Sending good thoughts they both improve quickly.  Glad you both are all right.

@ger_77  Glad you are enjoying the DGS and the rest of the family.

With the Delta variant, even though we are both vaccinated but near the 6 month mark where the effectiveness seems to drop off, we are being hermits more of less.  I did see an interesting graphic about the effectiveness of the different type of masks against the Delta variant.

Cloth masks -- 20%

Procedure masks -- 50%

N95 -- 95%

We have switched to the KN95 masks.

I do have some pictures from our various visits to Kauai, and I don't think I have any repeats, except for one of @grapau27 Graham's from the Hollywood tour.  Which, BTW, is a great tour if your like movies and tv shows.

All of these pictures relate to the Hollywood tour and our Na Pali coast tour in 2007.

The Coco Palms was featured in Blue Hawaii, but unfortunately, it was very badly damaged by about 30 years ago by Hurricane Iniki.  On July 27, it was sold in a foreclosure sale, and it's fate is unkown. 

One interesting fact about the movie is the movie company expected the owner to tell her guests to leave while they filmed the movie.  They were thinking the could stay there and not have to make reservations.  The owner had other ideas, and refused to ask her guests to leave.  Elvis had stayed at the Coco Palms before, and knowing the owner, had wisely reserved a bungalow for himself.  Since they could not film in the bungalows, they had to use the one Elivs had rented and redorate it for the shots set in other bungalows.

Coco Palms in 2007

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.0195e17aaa9112110e459b9808acd036.JPG

IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.221ceaa1bde5d5a15d24f1125f1d3aac.JPG

IMG_1158.thumb.JPG.fb23683dff36cde7438e4c0774f2330c.JPG

IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.2992efb29ec0a207ac22800cff15bd30.JPG

IMG_1166.thumb.JPG.5691d1321b5c3f02457d2914d2c5c289.JPG

The barge from the wedding scene without the outriggers

IMG_1163.thumb.JPG.60297a0a8650d51dc1214fdf50cb8fa6.JPG

Coco Palms in 2018

DSC06002.thumb.JPG.da1309d0a370b8a5b59adecc3e76bb0d.JPG

The other iconic movie site was the pier on Honalei that was used in South Pacific.  In 2007, it still had the roof from the movie before it was destroyed by a storm a few years latrer.

IMG_1197.thumb.JPG.37107cbc212369b863f7007628766b28.JPG

Without the roof in 2013

P1060373.thumb.JPG.103ab63f1d29dfcfeedf5337b9df9af1.JPG

With the new roof in 2014

DSC00740.thumb.JPG.2d3995bedda51a04e9b0f70920c22ee2.JPG

Some views of the Na Pali coast and caves that can only be accessed by boat

IMG_1702.thumb.JPG.4d86183b40f860b0297c595fd02d4a51.JPG

IMG_1707.thumb.JPG.4133397b6d5535b01fc9d21ca9b1b252.JPG

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.6266a5733c6de2154fc13bf4e3d21c31.JPG

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.18d4325c0cc8d81acd9fc76e62d9818e.JPG

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.e43422f8c92c85822db015f81cb79a41.JPG

Some of these views were used in Jurassic Park.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I was thinking that was a Cruise Critic problem (and it may have been partly to blame) but it was mostly my fault.  Cruise Critic refused to accept my login which had been saved.  I checked and checked my password and I KNEW it was right but somehow my saved login had the wrong userid.  Don't know how that could have happened but I probably did something wrong while Cruise Critic was having login issues.

Roy

No log in problems but 1/2 the time my posts won’t take.  

nor my likes.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hadn't heard anything from my neighbor about Copeland so I left a message on his daughter Brenda's phone asking about her and Copeland's health.  Five minutes later my phone rang and it was Brenda's husband Paul.  He said Brenda is not doing well.  She still has a high fever and is pretty much staying in bed, 10 to 11 days after her first symptoms.  He also said Copeland is still hospitalized but raring to get out of there.  No visitors allowed!  His oxygen levels are still low 90's and he's on 100% oxygen.  What awful news!  I told him I'd continue praying for their complete recovery.  Even with all that worry for his family he still asked how DH and I were doing.  Thank goodness we're still fine. 

Paul was initially infected with the virus by having a birthday dinner with their 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend.  They had it but didn't know, therefore Paul caught it sitting next to her at dinner, then passed it on to his wife and FIL.  

What a mess!

Oh dear.  that is a mess and so scary.  Our prayers for them all 🙏🏻 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. 😊

We've been over to Kauai many times ( hop, skip and a jump for Californians) and last time stayed at the Koloa Landing Resort.🌺

One time, we needed more "credits" to go from a three star Mariner to a four Mariner and joined a Circle HI on the Zaandam in late April, 2016. It's ALWAYS about the free laundry,  lol.🙃

🙏Prayers to all in need and blessed with son and daughter.

Katie ......stay safe and wear a 😷!

20210811_080539.jpg

FB_IMG_8015932035307729622.jpg

FB_IMG_1628692661139.jpg

That last picture is priceless.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Occasionally, my likes won't take but lately not as many problems with the posts.  However, on my laptop, I keep having to login everytime.  

I have a few more pictures from our various cruises to Kauai and from our drives around the island.  Most are from areas that the tours do not visit.  We have been lucky to have only missed Kauai once.  In 2018, on the Westerdam, it was very windy when we were in Honolulu and the forecast for Kauai was for even stronger winds.  Instead of spending a day at sea, since he had enough notice, Capt. Vincent Smit changed the the itinerary and give us a third day in Honolulu.

A chuch in Honalei, and IIFC, it is the oldest church on Kauai.

DSC08525.thumb.JPG.5c3e3e956d3a20fe7bc997e27143b41c.JPG

I believe these are taro fields 

DSC08528.thumb.JPG.0cb2184c758d9488a86716d97af55def.JPG

And this colorful bird was sitting on the fence

DSC08518.thumb.JPG.634668aa59c8decf30c51d8ff5004541.JPG

The Kilaueu Ligfhthouse on the north shore of Kauai

P1060367.thumb.JPG.18ea2c635cac0b9d740ed18c5cf86355.JPG

An abandoned sugar mill on a back road on the way back from Poipu 

DSC08546.thumb.JPG.2676bf0ff510de269f434ce656d545d0.JPG

Duane's Ono Char Burger is north of Kapaa.  We try to stop there and split a burger and an order of onion rings.  A friend recommended it, and he was right, they are great burgers.  There are tables under the trees, along with the resident chickens.

P1060384.thumb.JPG.8d9bcdde0aa20c5b5da219111ff30f80.JPG

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, let me try Florrie’s video again.  She’s now home nextdoor with her new Mom.

IMG_0146.mov 2.41 MB · 0 downloads

Sorry, it still doesn't work on this computer.  So I signed in to CC on my IPhone and was able to view it there.  An adorable puppy!  She looked a little confused in the crowd so I'm glad she's home with Mom now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, let me try Florrie’s video again.  She’s now home nextdoor with her new Mom.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

OMGOSH!!!! So precious I just want to

Squeeze her. Just beautiful. What a adorable little pup.

Denise😊

• Like 7