Solo cruisers!

Cruise Related

7 hours ago, BeachDiva101 said:

Solo cruiser since 2014 and every time I look to cruise with NCL, the solo cabins cost more than booking a regular inside.  Want to try one of the single balconies on RCL.  Never sailed celebrity yet.   I love sailing solo.  I can do want I want when I want.  Cruising is fun whether you have someone with you or not.  Happy sailing!!

Yeah, try one of those studio balcony cabins on a RCI Quantum-class or Quantum-Ultra class ship (i.e. the new Odyssey of the Seas). Or, if you want to go a bit upscale, try one of those Single Infinite Veranda staterooms on Celebrity's Edge-class ships (Edge, Apex or Beyond).

The great thing about RCI is that they continually run that "60% off the 2nd guest" promo, which essentially lowers your solo supplement to 40% (very do-able for me). With this promo, you can book any RCI ship and any stateroom.

Yeah, based on what the previous poster said about supply & demand, I'm sure NCL's studio cabins can at times, be higher than a regular inside (with the 100% solo supplement). But I would guess that this is the exception not the rule. For example, I just booked POA and snagged one of her 4 studio cabins (booked her far enough in advance). I saved $730 by booking a studio instead of a regular inside cabin (with the 100% solo supplement).

@MorganClark  that’s so great that you got one of the 4 solos on POA!!!!  I’ve been trying for a couple of years now, every time all sold out.   Good for you!  Have a great time.  I love Hawaii.   I saw those infinite balconies on celebrity edge and those are cool!! The Edge is a beautiful ship.  Safe travels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeachDiva101 said:

@MorganClark  that’s so great that you got one of the 4 solos on POA!!!!  I’ve been trying for a couple of years now, every time all sold out.   Good for you!  Have a great time.  I love Hawaii.   I saw those infinite balconies on celebrity edge and those are cool!! The Edge is a beautiful ship.  Safe travels.

Thanks! I think I was able to book one of those 4 studios on POA because the cruise is so far out (May 6-13, 2023). On the date, I really didn't have a choice because I will have arrived Honolulu on the Ovation of the Seas (TP from Sydney, Australia) 4 days earlier, on May 2, 2023. I was waiting on RCI to open the books up for Ovation of the Seas' final leg on to Vancouver, BC but then I had the idea of cruising on the POA and then flying home from Honolulu after the POA cruise.

Yeah, imo, Celebrity is a very solo friendly cruise line and is increasing their marketing to us solos because they've put 16 Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) staterooms on Edge, then added 8 more to Apex which has 24 SIVs and are adding 8 more on top of that to Beyond which will have 32 SIVs! See what I mean about Celebrity increasing their marketing to solos?

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MorganClark said:

Thanks! I think I was able to book one of those 4 studios on POA because the cruise is so far out (May 6-13, 2023). On the date, I really didn't have a choice because I will have arrived Honolulu on the Ovation of the Seas (TP from Sydney, Australia) 4 days earlier, on May 2, 2023. I was waiting on RCI to open the books up for Ovation of the Seas' final leg on to Vancouver, BC but then I had the idea of cruising on the POA and then flying home from Honolulu after the POA cruise.

Yeah, imo, Celebrity is a very solo friendly cruise line and is increasing their marketing to us solos because they've put 16 Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) staterooms on Edge, then added 8 more to Apex which has 24 SIVs and are adding 8 more on top of that to Beyond which will have 32 SIVs! See what I mean about Celebrity increasing their marketing to solos?

Definitely food for thought! So many lines to choose from. However, sounds like NCL kinda caters to the solo folks with their staff organizing things and what not. Hmmm, hard to make a choice! Ok, so I’m 39 about to be 40, I want a fun atmosphere but I also want relaxed and don’t wanna hear loud music all the time when I’m trying to have a conversation at a bar or something. Carnival always has loud freaking music playing in most bars and it makes it very hard to communicate. Are other lines like this? 

@MorganClark  yes, I’m glad a cruise line is marketing to solos.  I read an article in a travel magazine that close to 40% of the travel industry is solo travelers. I feel that the cruise industry has completely ignored this fact.  Good to see a cruise line making efforts to change that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Related said:

Definitely food for thought! So many lines to choose from. However, sounds like NCL kinda caters to the solo folks with their staff organizing things and what not. Hmmm, hard to make a choice! Ok, so I’m 39 about to be 40, I want a fun atmosphere but I also want relaxed and don’t wanna hear loud music all the time when I’m trying to have a conversation at a bar or something. Carnival always has loud freaking music playing in most bars and it makes it very hard to communicate. Are other lines like this? 

I'll let you know. I'm just starting out solo cruising. My first solo cruise was July 17-24th on Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau, Bahamas. It was a great cruise! I am trying pretty much all the mainstream cruise lines (from the solo cruiser standpoint). I'm booked on RCL, CCL, NCL, X & MSC. I think only two mainstream lines I'm not booked on is Princess & HAL.

NCL does cater to solo cruisers but the only thing I'm leery of are those tiny 99 sq ft interior studio cabins. But, I will be trying them out anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, chefchick said:

To be honest, I was a bit nervous my first time as well.  I did check out the roll call for my sailing and met a few folks at the bar that first day and we hung out most of the cruise

I haven't read the entire thread, but this is EXCELLENT advice.  On my first solo cruise (Norwegian Bliss April, 2019), some folks on the roll call organized an embarkation day lunch for the solo cruisers on the roll call.  This was a great way to meet some fellow solo cruisers and 'break the ice', I think there were 8-12 of us so it wasn't a HUGE gathering and made conversation among everyone relatively easy.  After meeting them there, there were several instances throughout the cruise where some of us saw each other and stopped for a quick chat.

I will also agree with the NCL solo program (which does NOT require that you be staying in the 100 sq. ft. Studio cabin to participate) being excellent.  NCL schedules a daily meet for solos in the Studio lounge (on ships equipped with one).  I might have called it the 'gold standard' as well, and the overall program may still be, but Royal is making a push with the Studio Balcony cabins.  The Virtual Balcony (a widescreen TV mounted vertically) in the Studio cabin on the Anthem seemed like more of a gimmick, and the virtual porthole in the Studio cabin on the Bliss (a widescreen TV mounted horizontally) was just as good.

Just skimmed a couple more posts - @Cruise Related I'm of similar age (a couple years older)...

I should also add - don't focus on the Studio/solo cabins!  When I planned my October cruise in 2019 I had my TA quote the Studio with self-booked air and the balcony with the free/reduced air perk.  Despite paying the full supplement, the balcony was only about $60 more than the studio once air was figured for both.  NO  BRAINER!

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hallux said:

I haven't read the entire thread, but this is EXCELLENT advice.  On my first solo cruise (Norwegian Bliss April, 2019), some folks on the roll call organized an embarkation day lunch for the solo cruisers on the roll call.  This was a great way to meet some fellow solo cruisers and 'break the ice', I think there were 8-12 of us so it wasn't a HUGE gathering and made conversation among everyone relatively easy.  After meeting them there, there were several instances throughout the cruise where some of us saw each other and stopped for a quick chat.

I will also agree with the NCL solo program (which does NOT require that you be staying in the 100 sq. ft. Studio cabin to participate) being excellent.  NCL schedules a daily meet for solos in the Studio lounge (on ships equipped with one).  I might have called it the 'gold standard' as well, and the overall program may still be, but Royal is making a push with the Studio Balcony cabins.  The Virtual Balcony (a widescreen TV mounted vertically) in the Studio cabin on the Anthem seemed like more of a gimmick, and the virtual porthole in the Studio cabin on the Bliss (a widescreen TV mounted horizontally) was just as good.

Just skimmed a couple more posts - @Cruise Related I'm of similar age (a couple years older)...

I should also add - don't focus on the Studio/solo cabins!  When I planned my October cruise in 2019 I had my TA quote the Studio with self-booked air and the balcony with the free/reduced air perk.  Despite paying the full supplement, the balcony was only about $60 more than the studio once air was figured for both.  NO  BRAINER!

Well, NCL might still be the gold standard for the overall welcoming of solos. Based on the RC/Celebrity dailies I’ve seen, there’s not much in the way of scheduled solo gatherings even on ships with single-occupancy cabins. 

But yeah, that’s why I always do the math and check the prices… fares are dropping for the Bliss return to service. People might be waiting to see how the Carnival & Princess sailings out of LA work out? At any rate, I just gave NCL $83 to move from a Studio to a deck 10 balcony. I can still attend the solo gatherings in the Lounge and will just have to get my free espresso fix then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coastcat said:

Well, NCL might still be the gold standard for the overall welcoming of solos. Based on the RC/Celebrity dailies I’ve seen, there’s not much in the way of scheduled solo gatherings even on ships with single-occupancy cabins. 

But yeah, that’s why I always do the math and check the prices… fares are dropping for the Bliss return to service. People might be waiting to see how the Carnival & Princess sailings out of LA work out? At any rate, I just gave NCL $83 to move from a Studio to a deck 10 balcony. I can still attend the solo gatherings in the Lounge and will just have to get my free espresso fix then. 

Congrats! Yeah, I'd pay $83 to move from a 99 sq ft interior "cracker box" to an 180 sq ft stateroom with a private balcony. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I will trying all the mainstream cruise lines (NCL, RCI, CCL, MSC & X) from the solo perspective. I want to compare & contrast.

My first impression is that yes, NCL does cater to solo cruisers (not sure if I would call it "the gold standard") but also important is cost and accommodations for solo cruisers. Here I think RCI & Celebrity are leading the way. RCI with their Quantum-class and Quantum-Ultra class ships with studio balcony cabins. RCI also continually runs their 60% off the 2nd guest promo, which essentially lowers the solo supplement to 40% and allows booking of any of their ships in any stateroom. NCL runs that 2nd guest flies free was does me no good. Celebrity has those Single Infinite Veranda staterooms on their Edge-class ships (Edge, Apex & Beyond). So far, CCL seems to be the least "solo friendly". However, CCL is pricing the "Jr. balcony" staterooms on their Excel-class ships (Mardi Gras & Carnival Celebration) lower than the regular balcony staterooms (they are just a "tad" smaller), so these Jr. balcony staterooms are much more reasonably priced and imo, within reach of the solo budget.

Edited by MorganClark

On 8/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Cruise Related said:

Alright, so I’ve been on about 15 cruises, always with someone. Just recently off the Horizon in July, have Mardi Gras booked in September. Yet I want more!! The wife only has so much PTO, so obviously she can only do so much cruising. I on the other hand am self employed and can pretty much do my bidness from anywhere. If you fine folks don’t mind answering a few questions about solo cruising I’d totally appreciate it! 

1. What draws you to it? 
2. What are the benefits for you personally?

3. Do you ever feel lonely and wish you had someone ya knew with you?

4. Do you still do excursions or mainly stick to the ship? 
5. Is there a solo cruiser club or something so you can meet up on ship and have a drink or whatever? 

I know! Lots of questions. Would definitely appreciate some feedback if possible. Thank you! 

I'm in a similar situation. DH says he won't be taking any more cruises while his mother is still alive. She turns 95 next month. Our last cruise together was the fall of 2019. We took a transatlantic--gone for 19 nights including our flight and a couple of nights in London before the cruise. I thought it was wonderful even though we did have a few diversions in our itinerary. DH worried about his mother. Back then, at least, she still would read emails. We also phoned from London, France, and Portugal--very short conversations on my cell phone (at 25 cents per minute). 

So I found a great deal on a Panama Canal cruise for December 2019 and went without him. I had been on back-to-back Alaskan cruises earlier in the year, also when I found bargains.

1. I love being on a cruise ship. You can do as much or as little as you want. I like that there's structure to it but also freedom. 

2. I get the chance to travel in a comfortable manner. I would not go alone on a land vacation to many of the places I went on my Panama Canal cruise.

3. Sure there's a little bit of loneliness being away from DH. We emailed to stay in touch as well as he followed along my live thread.

4. On my Panama Canal cruise, I stuck to the ship's excursions. I ended up canceling one of them since I was ill the day we were in Cartagena, but I recovered in time to take the one I had booked in Costa Rica. There are things I would do with DH that I would not feel comfortable doing on my own. In Alaska, though, I did everything on my own in all of the ports. My favorite was renting a bicycle in Skagway and riding along Dyea Road. 

5. They usually have a solo/singles group meeting. I also go to the LGBT meetings. I try to play trivia and form a team with friendly people. On my Alaskan cruises, I had traditional dining. It worked out great on the first cruise. I had friendly people at my table--two sisters and a woman with her husband and father. On my second cruise, I had flakes at my table who did not show up 40 percent of the time. I ate solo a couple of nights. I originally had traditional dining on my Panama Canal cruise but switched over to anytime dining and asked to share tables. It was a new group of people every night, but everyone was friendly. I also went to the dining room for breakfast and lunch (when it was open) and asked to share then as well. I try to take part in a lot of activities and get to know the cruise director's staff. They're a lot of fun. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MorganClark said:

NCL runs that 2nd guest flies free was does me no good.

Have you read the promo terms?  Solo cruisers get 50% off NCL's promotional airfare pricing as a compensation.

1 hour ago, MorganClark said:

Here I think RCI & Celebrity are leading the way. RCI with their Quantum-class and Quantum-Ultra class ships with studio balcony cabins.

The challenge is BOOKING one.  In normal circumstances you have to book as soon almost as the cruise opens for booking in order to score one of those Studio balcony rooms.  You also have to talk to someone that knows about them.  When I booked my Anthem cruise the TA I used wasn't aware of the Studio interior rooms until I asked if there was a better rate somehow, then she found the code for them.

• Like 1

I should have included - NCL's Studio interior rooms number around 85 on the ships that have them, at least they do on the Bliss and Encore, I'm not sure about the BA, GA, Epic and Escape.  The number of them compared to how many Studio cabins (interior and balcony, total of around 20-24 if the ship has both) are on the RCI ships with them makes them MUCH easier to snag on NCL.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Have you read the promo terms?  Solo cruisers get 50% off NCL's promotional airfare pricing as a compensation.

The challenge is BOOKING one.  In normal circumstances you have to book as soon almost as the cruise opens for booking in order to score one of those Studio balcony rooms.  You also have to talk to someone that knows about them.  When I booked my Anthem cruise the TA I used wasn't aware of the Studio interior rooms until I asked if there was a better rate somehow, then she found the code for them.

Thanks. I didn't know about NCL offering 50% off the airfare for solos. Kudos to them.

I do book early, so I have had no trouble booking those studio balcony cabins. I was even able to book one of those 4 studio cabins on Pride of America. Saved $736 from an inside stateroom (with the 100% supplement).

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

I should have included - NCL's Studio interior rooms number around 85 on the ships that have them, at least they do on the Bliss and Encore, I'm not sure about the BA, GA, Epic and Escape.  The number of them compared to how many Studio cabins (interior and balcony, total of around 20-24 if the ship has both) are on the RCI ships with them makes them MUCH easier to snag on NCL.

I don't disagree. But, as I mentioned, by booking early I have not had any problem booking RCIs studio balcony cabins.

I'm not knocking NCL. They've just taken a different approach with their solo customers. I'm keeping an open mind and have multiple NCL studio cabins booked. I will be giving NCL's solo experience a try.

As you can probably tell, I'm very pro-balcony (even as a solo cruiser). I'm also booked on Celebrity Edge & Apex in Single Infinite Veranda staterooms.

Wow. Thanks for sharing about the 50% off airfare.  As someone on the west coast (vancouver) that could be a game changer and i could save quite a bit. I wondered why when i looked at a pride of america booking the airfare seemed so cheap.

7 hours ago, MorganClark said:

Thanks. I didn't know about NCL offering 50% off the airfare for solos

6 hours ago, christinand said:

Wow. Thanks for sharing about the 50% off airfare

Directly from this page - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Solo traveling guests will receive 50% off Norwegian Cruise Line's promotional airfare pricing each way

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Directly from this page - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Solo traveling guests will receive 50% off Norwegian Cruise Line's promotional airfare pricing each way

Forgive me if the answer to this is contained in the T&C's you just posted but off hand, do you know whether I can still use NCL's promo airfare is I already have an NCL cruise booked? (I usually book my cruises way in advance and then book my own airfare about 3 months out from departure).

Thanks in advance.

Update: I just read through the T&C's (in the NCL promo airfare section) and it looks like I just have to have NCL make the flight reservations at least 90 days before my cruise (which I do anyway, as I mentioned above).

Edited by MorganClark

@MorganClark you might be subject to a re-fare of the cruise to utilize the current promo.  Also be aware that some "gateways" such as mine (ALB) can incur a fee (that's where the REDUCED part came in on my previous cruise).  If you're before final payment you might be able to add the air, but this is where your TA or PCC comes into play and earns their money, they could tell you what your best option is.

The only timelines I see when skimming the terms are that the cruise must be booked at least 90 days before sailing and any deviations (fly in the day before or out the day after the cruise) must be added no later than 75 days before sailing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

@MorganClark you might be subject to a re-fare of the cruise to utilize the current promo.  Also be aware that some "gateways" such as mine (ALB) can incur a fee (that's where the REDUCED part came in on my previous cruise).  If you're before final payment you might be able to add the air, but this is where your TA or PCC comes into play and earns their money, they could tell you what your best option is.

The only timelines I see when skimming the terms are that the cruise must be booked at least 90 days before sailing and any deviations (fly in the day before or out the day after the cruise) must be added no later than 75 days before sailing.

Thanks. I think I've only made final payment on my next 2 upcoming cruises (but they are not NCL cruises). All other cruises are booked with deposits. I don't use a TA (book directly off the NCL website). I'm sure I could get answers if I call NCL's air-to-sea folks (which I will probably do).

Getting 50% off my airfare could save me a significant chunk of change. My gateway will undoubtedly be Chicago O'Hare, possibly Grand Rapids, MI (I live in Muskegon, Michigan). If it is Chicago O'Hare, I would have to factor in that I would have to pay for (at full cost) the short flight from Muskegon to Chigago O'Hare and vice-versa.

30 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

if I call NCL's air-to-sea folks

30 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Getting 50% off my airfare could save me a significant chunk of change.

Air-to-sea is different from the promo.  The Buy One, get one 50% off airfare is a free-at-sea perk.  If you've booked your air through NCL's air program (effectively using NCL as your TA for the whole trip) I don't believe that qualifies.  Additionally - if those tickets are issued already you probably can't back out.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, hallux said:

Air-to-sea is different from the promo.  The Buy One, get one 50% off airfare is a free-at-sea perk.  If you've booked your air through NCL's air program (effectively using NCL as your TA for the whole trip) I don't believe that qualifies.  Additionally - if those tickets are issued already you probably can't back out.

Thanks again. I guess I need to find out from NCL if I can still get that 50% off air for solos, if I already have an NCL cruise booked. It is definitely worth a couple of phone calls to NCL if it ends up saving me significant $$ on airfare.

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I’ve been on about 15 cruises, always with someone. Just recently off the Horizon in July, have Mardi Gras booked in September. Yet I want more!! The wife only has so much PTO, so obviously she can only do so much cruising. I on the other hand am self employed and can pretty much do my bidness from anywhere. If you fine folks don’t mind answering a few questions about solo cruising I’d totally appreciate it! 

1. What draws you to it? 

5. Is there a solo cruiser club or something so you can meet up on ship and have a drink or whatever? 

I know! Lots of questions. Would definitely appreciate some feedback if possible. Thank you! 

So I have been on 2 cruises solo now as well as 2 with my daughter (teenager at the time), 1 with a couple friends and one with a GF and her 4 kids.  All were on Carnical. By far, I enjoyed the solo cruises the most.  I was lucky and won a lot of money on the one with the GF and so I started getting all the Premier cruise offers which I would get a free balcony cabin (sometimes even a suite) as well as anywhere from $300-$1000 cash or Freeplay in the casino.  So, I took advantage of that. I've done two of those and had a great time.  I am not a social butterfly so I don't feel the need to always be hanging out with other people and like someone else mentioned, I like to be on my own schedule, not have to worry about coordinating with someone else. 

I don't know about the other cruise lines but Carnival has always seated me at a table with other singles in the Main Dining Room and the first time I met some really cool people and we ended up hanging out and even going ashore together.  I have to admit, that was my biggest worry was walking around by myself in a foreign place. Especially since many of these ports get pretty sketchy once you leave the port area which the cruise lines normally put alot of money into to keep them safe and keep out most of the sketchy people.  I will say that sometimes you can find some really good ideas for shore activities right here on the CC site.  Some resorts have special "day passes" you can buy that give you access to their property including pools and restaurants and private beaches for way less than booking an excursion through the ship. 

As long as Carnival keeps giving me free cruises, I'll keep taking them.  So I hope this helped a little bit and good luck!   

• 4 weeks later...

1. What draws you to it? 

I travel solo. My husband stays home with the cat. I go on my excursions alone I do everything alone and I love it. I am finally at a point in my life where I don't need an entourage .I do what I wanna do when I wanna do it. Never thought I could but once I did it I wouldn't travel with anyone again

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 1:44 PM, Cruise Related said:

1. What draws you to it? 

1 & 2. If I don't travel solo, I don't travel and I love seeing new places / meeting new people 

3. I live alone and never feel lonely (ok -- I live with my Koda and kids in the same town)

4. Prefer to DIY. The world is quite safe but I learned to only take trains in English speaking countries after getting on the wrong local train in France. But even that turned out great

5. There is on Princess but honestly so many travelers seem to do things without their traveling partner anyway so its NEVER an issue. Join your roll call and you'll find other solos

Edited by Ombud
Added: local

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, trivimp said:

The thing that makes NCL the "gold standard" for many solo travelers is the dedicated solo coordinator who does the daily meetup.  Other lines are finally starting to have similar programs, but NCL does it best, in my experience.  YMMV.

I agree, just off from the NCL Sky after a 4 night Bahama cruise. The  cabin price for 1 was excellent. There was a large single/solo group, nearly 25 guests. A  leader, posted a 5:00PM single/solo get together daily. There was pre-dinner socializing; a game would be used as an ice- breaker to encourage interaction. The leader would ask who wants to join the group for dinner. He would escort the guests to the dining room, to see  that all are properly seated. Other ships   on previously would have a solo/single meeting posted lunch, cocktails posted on activity  day schedule and a few would attend. Then not see each other in an organized group for the rest of the cruise.