Cruise Director - Horizon....Donkey was a disappointment

DGNewton

55 minutes ago, CruiseHealing said:

We were on the July 4th Horizon cruise with Donkey.  The first night he pulled two senior couples up on stage.  Then went on to extremely embarrass the two senior aged men.  It was absolutely offending.  A couple of other times during the cruise he picked on older age men.  I really think he has some weird issues about older men.  Maybe a bad father history and taking it out on old cruisers.  I will try not to sail with him again.  But I book cruises way before they announce CDs.

Donkey has a great relationship with his father. No issues there.

• Like 1

I don’t think the cruise director makes a big difference for me but that could be because I have never sailed with one of the favorites.

I have only had Ryan Rose and Donkey on Carnival. They were both fine when I had them. The other cruise lines don’t put as much emphasis on who the cruise director is so I never knew their names.

Maybe Donkey was having an off trip, most of us weren’t there so we don’t know if OP is too easily offended or if Donkey went too far. 

Some of you are just as obsessed with not complaining as some people are with complaining.

6 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

I don’t think the cruise director makes a big difference for me but that could be because I have never sailed with one of the favorites.

I have only had Ryan Rose and Donkey on Carnival. They were both fine when I had them. The other cruise lines don’t put as much emphasis on who the cruise director is so I never knew their names.

Maybe Donkey was having an off trip, most of us weren’t there so we don’t know if OP is too easily offended or if Donkey went too far. 

Some of you are just as obsessed with not complaining as some people are with complaining.

I haven't seen anyone complain about the post - in fact, several have agreed with him. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

That was Steve Cassel (spelling may be incorrect on his last name, though).

Yes, that was him.  He was so nice and a great sense of humor. He went down the slide on the Paradise on the last day of the cruise with his clothes on since we (passengers) raised enough for St. Jude

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, funinthesun1964 said:

Yes, that was him.  He was so nice and a great sense of humor. He went down the slide on the Paradise on the last day of the cruise with his clothes on since we (passengers) raised enough for St. Jude

It was Steve on a cruise in 1991 that said: " From looking at the cruise brochures I bet you thought your cabins would be big enough for antelope to play in. " He was right, too, we did. 🙂 

• Like 2

Over the years, the CD on any of my previous 20 Carnival cruises has never stood out, but I am looking forward to the Flying Scotsman on our MG cruise after seeing multiple YouTube videos of his singing prowess.  Had a previous CD on the NCL Escape who jumped in with the Howl at the Moon dueling piano bar players and played the drums for close to an hour on the 4 nights that the venue was open.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

I had a similar experience with Gary on Carnival Magic.  First cruise back and I guess I expected more but my wife and I were talking and agreed he's in the bottom half of cruise directors we have had.  Not personable, his schtick was overplayed and he didn't once make us feel like we had to go to an event because he would be there bringing excitement and fun.  Bring back Dr. E!

We do care about who's the CD when we sail. Always enjoyed having having Matt Mitchem as a CD. He was friendly, engaging and full of energy throughout the week. As far as Donkey goes he wasn't bad at all, we've had worse, much worse. Things are just restarting and I'm sure it takes a while to get into a rhythm again. Overall CD's have a responsibility of trying to enhance the our cruises, some are better than others.  So whether you care or not, Pay attention to them or not, they do their best to try and get information out and make things fun when they have to. 

• Like 1

Well for those that cruised since the 1980's - yes showing my age....our Festivale CD was great and cruised him at least 3 times when we started as there wasn't much in those days....but what would you know.....

We have adapted and accpeted the old and the new CD's through the years with many cruise lines.

Especially the newer CD's.  Why do you all follow John Hearl then if that doesn't make a difference?  Seems hypocritical imo.

Emma Watson was one of out favorites and happy for her baby and staying t home....she was there for you, not her....

Yes they add a differentiator to add the value added....

Therefore WHY the constant change who's up next.... because it makes a difference...look in the mirror....

Later gator

I’m on my 11th cruise dating back to the 1980s on multiple lines. The only CD’s I can still name and, frankly, remember at all, are the 3 we’ve had on Carnival and for us, they definitely have made a significant impact on the cruise for the better for us.

We had Jess from the US who is no longer in this line of business, Orlando Magic, and now Chris Williams, the Flying Scotsman who definitely goes to 11, which I really appreciate for my 11th sea voyage. He’s good and the whole Fun Crew has been as well.

9 hours ago, DGNewton said:

Emma Watson was one of out favorites and happy for her baby and staying t home....she was there for you, not her....

I think you mean Emma Nixon (now Emma Pack). Emma Watson played Hermoine in the Harry Potter movies.  

Bob

• Haha 3

On 8/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, tree.critter said:

On board with Chris Williams, The Flying Scotsman and he has been a treat. If you ever cruise with him do NOT miss his show. Who knew that this man with a heavy Scottish accent could nail the wide spectrum of musical styles. He is a better singer than any of the production show staff.

Thats because he began his Carnival career as a Playlist Production singer.

Bob

• Thanks 1

I usually have no idea who the cruise director is for a particular cruise and really could not care less.  They are that annoying voice on the PA system and I find most are too hyper for me.  Yet, I always manage to have a great cruise.

• Like 3

Most of the time I do not know who the CD is until I step on a ship.  I usually have no interactions with them unless I literally bump into them - then just say "hi" and tell them how well the crew is treating us.  Figure it can't hurt to compliment the workers.  However, I did like when Butch B. was CD on a few of my cruises.  He left being a CD for bigger and better.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, JaniceB said:

Agreed, never thought much of the CDs until I cruised with him.  My favorite mature d is singing Ken.  Another awesome Carnival employee!

Both Chris and Ken are great!