Cruise Director - Horizon....Donkey was a disappointment

DGNewton

On 8/13/2021 at 7:05 AM, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I think you're actually in the majority.

I don't care about the cruise director.  But that is the great thing about cruising.  Enough options for everyone to find things they enjoy about the experience and also things they don't really care about. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, dns65 said:

I don't care about the cruise director.  But that is the great thing about cruising.  Enough options for everyone to find things they enjoy about the experience and also things they don't really care about. 

To each to their own....my side differs and they do make a difference in the brilliance of the whole cruise package....I've sailed many a years and make the cruise what it is.....I won't come saying we never had a bad cruise.....I'm sailing on this ship again and stuck with him, and will just for go most things he is involved with....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DGNewton said:

You will when they make a difference on the positive side of a trip......

so true.  Pre-pandemic, Dr. E had the best muster drill routine.  Our grands loved it, as did I.  For our Panama Canal crossing on the Miracle, Chloe was the CD and she was a joy to talk with. Love her energy.   Also memorable is Mike Bing Bong Walker.   So while a CD can’t break a cruise for me, they can enhance it. 

27 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

so true.  Pre-pandemic, Dr. E had the best muster drill routine.  Our grands loved it, as did I.  For our Panama Canal crossing on the Miracle, Chloe was the CD and she was a joy to talk with. Love her energy.   Also memorable is Mike Bing Bong Walker.   So while a CD can’t break a cruise for me, they can enhance it. 

I remember this name.....Mike Bing Bong Walker

• Haha 1

70 plus cruises and I can't remember most CDs. But on our last cruise, March 2019 (on an different line), CD, who claimed to have been a "medical professional" in her previous life, said at a coffee chat that she couldn't understand all the fuss about "this virus that is no worse than the flu." Two days after our cruise ended, the line pulled the plug, sent all the passengers home and eventually sold the ship, which had been its flagship (and the world's second-fastest cruiser, after the QM2).

Edited by latserrof

1 minute ago, latserrof said:

70 plus cruises and I can't remember most CDs. But on our last cruise, March 2019 (on an different line), CD, who claimed to have been a "medical professional" in her previous life, said at a coffee chat that she couldn't understand all the fuss about "this virus that is no worse than the flu." Two days after our cruise ended, the line pulled the plug, sent all the passengers home and eventually sold the ship, which had been its flagship (and the world's second-fastest, after the QM2).

Well, to be fair, there were lots of medical professionals saying lots of things at that time that they now regret.

You realize that the cruise director makes no difference to the experience for 90+% of people, right?  And what the cruise director actually does of importance on the ship is not visible to most guests -- you do realize that  Donkey isn't JUST there to narrate the hairy chest contest?  He actually makes important decisions regarding the cruise when ports are potentially canceled, helps organize with local authorities, helps organize/plan daily activities and a BUNCH of other responsibilities, right?  

And you do realize that by keeping this thread at the top of the largest cruise forum for nearly a week, Carnival has DEFINITELY seen this, as has Donkey, and you're probably hurting his feelings and giving him unnecessary headaches at his job.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, croix153 said:

You realize that the cruise director makes no difference to the experience for 90+% of people, right?  And what the cruise director actually does of importance on the ship is not visible to most guests -- you do realize that  Donkey isn't JUST there to narrate the hairy chest contest?  He actually makes important decisions regarding the cruise when ports are potentially canceled, helps organize with local authorities, helps organize/plan daily activities and a BUNCH of other responsibilities, right?  

And you do realize that by keeping this thread at the top of the largest cruise forum for nearly a week, Carnival has DEFINITELY seen this, as has Donkey, and you're probably hurting his feelings and giving him unnecessary headaches at his job.

Well he probably should have considered the feelings of his employees as well. The way he treated the DJ and Fun Squad in front of guests on my sailing was unacceptable for anyone managing people…point blank. Carnival most likely saw it in the survey results they asked for as well. 

Hi,

I guess because I’m a Mom of a Crew Member, I see the HEADLINE to this post everyday I come here and it’s hurtful, at  least in my eyes.

Replace “Donkey” with our sons crew name “Marky Mark” ….  😔😔. Replace Donkey with your son, daughter, husband, wife, Grandpa, Grandma …. Yeah??

Mark told me Donkey filled in for a brief period on one of his Ships. Nice guy too….

That’s it,  just my Mom’s opinion.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, croix153 said:

What you don't realize is is Carnival changed the job description of cruise director 5 or more years ago. The duties you describe here are now performed by the Entertainment Director. Carnival realized their cruise directors couldn't do everything being demanded of them and took some of the office type procedures off their shoulders so they could be out front and interacting with their guests. It was a good decision.

I agree that slamming and shaming a cruise director by name here in a thread title is improper and wrong.

• Like 6

On 8/12/2021 at 12:43 AM, chefchick said:

The fact that we can argue over who is the best CD just shows how much effort Carnival puts into hiring great cruise directors and staff.  Check out most other boards and this discussion is not going on….I’m not saying other lines don’t have great CDs….but just like Comedy shows and sea-day brunch, IMO, this is Carnival’s real draw.

From my experience, CDs on Carnival ships are much more involved with providing entertainment, hosting events, etc. than other cruise lines. When cruising on Carnival we see the CD frequently during the cruise, while we have done cruises on RCI and Celebrity without ever seeing the CD even once during the cruise. My favorite Carnival CD  is Mikey Gibson with Ben Lambert a close second. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 10:16 PM, ejnsb said:

Probably in the minority here but the CD doesn't affect our experience.   The sailaway might be the first and last time we see them.

Agreed. I couldn't tell you the name of a single CD in over 100 cruises. LOL

• Like 1

I've avoided commenting on this thread, because the enjoyment (or even acknowledgement) of a CD is a very personal thing, so who am I to judge the OP's opinion.

But I will chime in with this: Donkey was CD on two of my cruises fairly close together (Liberty late-2017 and early 2018).  I thought he was amusing, acerbic, and "did the job": i.e. let you know what was going on, tried to get some energy going, and generally provided the kind of info I'd expect from a CD.

Maybe his sarcasm/acerbic outlook just doesn't gel with everyone.  :shrug:

I don't choose my cruises based on the CD and 9 times out of 10 I don't recall anything about any of them. However, I just got off the Horizon on the 7 Aug departure, and must say that Donkey was really bad. I cant remember another cruise where the CD annoyed me like Donkey. Seems like a nice guy but his management of the deck parties and some other things were just bad. I am going to chalk it up to rust and restart pains and assume he will get better.