Sailing out of Florida with a Florida drivers license only.

32 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

What would you need it later for?

I have not needed or used my birth certificate in many years...

Have you upgraded your license to "Real ID" yet?  You'll need it for that.

And, i'm sure in 10 years we will all need to again for some new "Even More Real ID" program...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Have you upgraded your license to "Real ID" yet?  You'll need it for that.

And, i'm sure in 10 years we will all need to again for some new "Even More Real ID" program...

Not sure what you mean with " Real ID"..

37 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I didn't need my birth certificate for that

I didn’t need it for Social Security or real ID.  In fact, I haven’t had it out of the safety deposit box since I put it in.

From the regulations for social security: Individuals must submit proof of age immediately in every claim for benefits in which the claimant's age is an immediate factor of entitlement. This would be unless age has been previously established on some SSA record such as social security number application, previous application, etc.

15 minutes ago, mafig said:

I did.  I recall bringing my passport and was told I needed birth certificate.  This was in Florida.  Same was true for DH.

Yes, Florida's required documentation for a Real ID driver's license is extensive.

A state issued birth certificate is required and several forms of IDs. A passport can be used for a form of ID, not proof of citizenship.

And woe be to anyone that has changed their name and has a different name on current ID compared to the birth certificate.  A complete paper trail of the name changes must document the current name in use. 

It has left women who practice serial monogamy scrambling for legal documents covering each marriage, divorce and restoration of name scrambling for legal document.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

If you keep your passport current you will not need a birth certificate.  My birth certificate is in a safe deposit box and I use my passport  when ever  proof of citizenship is required. I used my passport as ID for an I9 form when I started a new job.

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, Florida's required documentation for a Real ID driver's license is extensive.

A state issued birth certificate is required and several forms of IDs. A passport can be used for a form of ID, not proof of citizenship.

And woe be to anyone that has changed their name and has a different name on current ID compared to the birth certificate.  A complete paper trail of the name changes must document the current name in use. 

It has left women who practice serial monogamy scrambling for legal documents covering each marriage, divorce and restoration of name scrambling for legal document.

The sole purpose of the passport is proof of citizenship. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you keep your passport current you will not need a birth certificate.  My birth certificate is in a safe deposit box and I use my passport  when ever  proof of citizenship is required. I used my passport as ID for an I9 form when I started a new job.

Thinking back I did use my passport for my DL renewal last year.

In reading about the Real ID vs Passport, it states if you have a PP, you do not need the Real ID to travel .

An official U.S. passport will get you through airport security and can be used in place of a Real ID.

If you are only traveling domestically, you can use a Real ID or passport. If you are traveling internationally, you still need a valid passport.

Gay

6 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Thinking back I did use my passport for my DL renewal last year.

It's quite possible i'm just paranoid about not having the correct documents and end up bringing everything to the DMV "just in case"...

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

well, mine is useless because I was born outside the US, but yes - many uses for it, including proof of citizenship for US born Americans.

My kid has had to use his birth certificate quite a few times already in his 10 years on Earth.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 8/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, h18furball said:

My wife forgot to renew her passport.  We sent it out expedited on 8/6 2021.  We have one cruise on 9/10 and a second cruise on 11/14.  If her passport does not arrive in time, can she still sail on just her drivers license?  We live in Florida.  She also does not have a birth certificate and has been told it is 3 months to get a replacement.  Should I start looking for a wife replacement? 😀

Dave

Back to original question: "Sail without a passport?"

Love your sense of humor!  However, really bad idea. What if you encounter an unfortunate issue on a port stop and have to leave the ship? Covid is the least of it. Unexpected medical situation or accident? Family emergency that requires you to fly home? It would be nightmare trying to handle any of that without a valid passport. 

On 8/13/2021 at 11:07 AM, WisconsinFan said:

It has to be an "enhanced" license and not a "real ID"- the enhanced license is only available in a few states and according to this list, FL isn't one.  https://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/enhanced-drivers-license/, Real ID is only valid for domestic flights/travel Real ID Information, Here's a bit more: What's an enhanced drivers license?

Never heard of them, thank you!  

On 8/13/2021 at 9:31 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

but if you are in GA, and were born in Michigan, you have a dilemna.

Not if you cough up the $$ for vital check. We had an incident and had all 3 kids certificates within 2 days. We were in Maryland, certificates in 2 different counties in Arizona.

with C-v restrictions it may take a day or two longer depending on what May still be closed.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, mine is useless because I was born outside the US, but yes - many uses for it, including proof of citizenship for US born Americans.

My kid has had to use his birth certificate quite a few times already in his 10 years on Earth.

College application, certain restricted visas even with passport ( I do not know why) . In PA the DMV frequently cannot process a passport as an official ID and a birth certificate is needed. This happened to 4 out of 5 of us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

In reading about the Real ID vs Passport, it states if you have a PP, you do not need the Real ID to travel .

An official U.S. passport will get you through airport security and can be used in place of a Real ID.

If you are only traveling domestically, you can use a Real ID or passport. If you are traveling internationally, you still need a valid passport.

Gay

Yes this is correct. An Enhanced  DL will not allow you to board a plane if you are flying to or from the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada into the US   It can only be used for land and sea travel.

• Like 1