Boarding: so far so good.

Solent Richard

On the ship myvoyage.Cunard.com was not always there.  When it is you can make restaurant bookings at the Verandah, check your account for what you have spent, check your bookings, check your Internet minutes etc.  All quite good.  Being where we have been 4G has been available in places so you didn’t always have to resort to the ship Internet which has been quite poor in our cabin.  I go and sit on the steps on the stairways!

Still missing afternoon tea in the Queens Room!

2 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

One of our neighbours takes a chair from his cabin and sits outside his cabin door in the corridor so he can get the Internet.  At first I thought he was sitting there whilst his cabin was being serviced!

I sit on QE and QV  stairs, Stairway B just outside our cabin, usually around first sitting dinner when I'm less likely to be in the way. I've met some lovely people in that way when they ask politely 'what are you doing'. A few have joined me as the internet reception is great there.

I think this voyage might be remembered as one of missed opportunities.  We sailed to Scotland at 15 knots, stayed in a bay on the 3rd night on the west side of Islay.  Then travelled along the south and west coasts of Islay and across to the Isle of Mull where we again stayed in a bay on the west side.  I don’t think we heard from anyone and I don’t think the captain bothered with a noon report.  All day we had travelled at about 8 knots. Today we left anchor and travelled in a clockwise direction around Mull at 7/8 knots past Tobomory and Oban and then out to the open sea where it seems we are enroute for Southampton at 12 knots.  It’s now 6.45pm on Tuesday for a 6.30 arrival on Friday.  Might we have seen more.  Fuel costs money!

15 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

I think this voyage might be remembered as one of missed opportunities.  We sailed to Scotland at 15 knots, stayed in a bay on the 3rd night on the west side of Islay.  Then travelled along the south and west coasts of Islay and across to the Isle of Mull where we again stayed in a bay on the west side.  I don’t think we heard from anyone and I don’t think the captain bothered with a noon report.  All day we had travelled at about 8 knots. Today we left anchor and travelled in a clockwise direction around Mull at 7/8 knots past Tobomory and Oban and then out to the open sea where it seems we are enroute for Southampton at 12 knots.  It’s now 6.45pm on Tuesday for a 6.30 arrival on Friday.  Might we have seen more.  Fuel costs money!

Most online itineraries I've found for your voyage list four days of "Scottish Isles - Scenic Cruising". But there is one itinerary that goes into more detail.

7 nights - 13 - 20th August 2021   Q122P

Southampton > Sea Day > Mull of Kintyre Scenic Cruising > Isle of Mull Scenic Cruising > Lock Tuath, Tobermory Scenic Cruising > Isle of Arron [sic], Firth of Clyde Scenic Cruising > Sea Day > Southampton

I was expecting to see you cruising past the Isle of Arran and through the Firth of Clyde tomorrow for your fourth day of Scottish Isles scenic cruising. It would appear that's off now since your current heading indicates you might be heading the long way around Ireland instead to get back to Southampton.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Most online itineraries I've found for your voyage list four days of "Scottish Isles - Scenic Cruising". But there is one itinerary that goes into more detail.

7 nights - 13 - 20th August 2021   Q122P

Southampton > Sea Day > Mull of Kintyre Scenic Cruising > Isle of Mull Scenic Cruising > Lock Tuath, Tobermory Scenic Cruising > Isle of Arron [sic], Firth of Clyde Scenic Cruising > Sea Day > Southampton

I was expecting to see you cruising past the Isle of Arran and through the Firth of Clyde tomorrow for your fourth day of Scottish Isles scenic cruising. It would appear that's off now since your current heading indicates you might be heading the long way around Ireland instead to get back to Southampton.

Hold the presses. QE has turned back to the east. A bit more Scottish Isles scenic cruising might be in the works for tomorrow after all. At least the western route around Ireland doesn't look likely any more. For those that are interested, here is what QE's track around the Scottish Isles has been so far, as shown by marinetraffic.

34820413_QEScottishIslesRoute.thumb.jpg.78068d1eef76936860e09af5b24e5478.jpg

• Like 2

Apologies for my suggestion in an earlier post that we were going directly to Southampton from this afternoon.  For the last couple of days the nav channel has mentioned intermediary points like Tobomory, but this afternoon only showed Southampton as the next destination.  Later this evening I read in the daily programme for tomorrow we were doing a detour around the Isle of Arran before heading south and past Alisa Craig.  Alisa Craig is a round mound of granite off the coast of Ayrshire.  Before Donald Trump purchased Turnberry Golf course there were many major golf championships including the Open were televised from this course.  There were regular shots of Alisa Craig.  The granite island was and may still be the only source of granite in the UK for the curling stones for this historic Scottish winter sport.

Whist digressing I’ll mention Electric Brae close to Turnberry.  If you park in the road at Electric Brae, switch off the engine and then put the brake off, the car will appear to go up hill unaided.  It’s a quite an amazing illusion.  It doesn’t work in automatic cars of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to the Verandah lunch today with the Cunard World Club vouchers, except there are no longer any vouchers.  You receive an invitation by letter that mentions all the World Club benefits.  You are still covered for three courses and coffee including tips without additional dollars being required. The meal was excellent.

However there is one change in that you can now go to the Verandah in the evenings for dinner and you receive a $25pp benefit against the dinner price of $39pp.

• Like 3

hi, is the Grills Courtyard open?  and how do you get from the Mayflower to the Ocean Terminal, is it a long walk with your luggage etc?    thanks for the updates it certainly is helping quiet our nerves for when we go in September 

20 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

Whist digressing I’ll mention Electric Brae close to Turnberry.  If you park in the road at Electric Brae, switch off the engine and then put the brake off, the car will appear to go up hill unaided.  It’s a quite an amazing illusion.  It doesn’t work in automatic cars of course.

Sounds like our Magnetic Hill here in Moncton. And I'm curious to know how much scenery you see in your scenic cruising and how rough the seas are. We have the Queen Victoria cruise booked for next year, but I'm not sure we'll be able to summon up the courage to get on a plane to get there.

1 hour ago, A & P said:

hi, is the Grills Courtyard open?  and how do you get from the Mayflower to the Ocean Terminal, is it a long walk with your luggage etc?    thanks for the updates it certainly is helping quiet our nerves for when we go in September 

You’ll been sent all the information in due course but, basically, if you’re being dropped off by taxi or walking, you go direct to the Ocean Terminal and use the walk through test centre. Mayflower is for drive through. 

On 8/16/2021 at 5:58 PM, RJChatsworth said:

Se1lad - Penhaligon’s in moveable plastic bottles that are the same size as Molten Brown bottles.

That they ask you to leave behind and not take home with you. The excuse they give whether you believe or not is at end of cruise they are taken away sanitised and refilled and there excuse is to save on plastic.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:48 PM, RJChatsworth said:

On the ship myvoyage.Cunard.com was not always there.  When it is you can make restaurant bookings at the Verandah, check your account for what you have spent, check your bookings, check your Internet minutes etc.  All quite good.  Being where we have been 4G has been available in places so you didn’t always have to resort to the ship Internet which has been quite poor in our cabin.  I go and sit on the steps on the stairways!

Still missing afternoon tea in the Queens Room!

As far as Cunard app it has never worked since we got onboard. Downloaded it with no problems but never worked took it to help desk where they couldn't get it to work and the lady took a photo of my phone settings and details and said they were having issues with some apparently older Android phones even though my phone isn't all that old. She said she would send my phone specifications to IT as they had set up App with current and future platforms not thinking about past platforms.

Just enjoyed our last lunch on board.  I must say the food has been very good.

Whilst at lunch I happened to see (nosey Parker!) a passenger handing the Maitre d’ an envelope which he rapidly stuffed into the inside pocket of his jacket.  Tips of course are added to your account to be divided between the staff.  Giving extra is a personal matter.

But to the Maitre d’ reminds me of a discussion with another Cunard Maitre d’ a few years ago.  How we got into a discussion about tips I can’t remember because it is normally a taboo subject.  He told me he found it very embarrassing receiving tips from passengers but when they are standing in front of you how can you refuse?  He said he was salaried and well-payed and didn’t need the money.  There were many people below him on the ship who were poorly paid and having to support families abroad and these were the people who really needed the money.

7 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

But to the Maitre d’ reminds me of a discussion with another Cunard Maitre d’ a few years ago.  How we got into a discussion about tips I can’t remember because it is normally a taboo subject.  He told me he found it very embarrassing receiving tips from passengers but when they are standing in front of you how can you refuse?  He said he was salaried and well-payed and didn’t need the money.  There were many people below him on the ship who were poorly paid and having to support families abroad and these were the people who really needed the money.

And that is why we leave the Gratuities on our bill

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rakkor said:

And that is why we leave the Gratuities on our bill

I just don't understand why gratuities are not included in the cruise fare and why are we made to feel guilty if we remove them. Just pay them a decent wage without having to rely on gratuities, bet the President of Carnival doesn't feel guilty about paying staff such poor wages when in 2020, during the pandemic and Cunard and all other Carnival companies were not making any money but he still pocketed $13million dollars an increase of $2million dollars on 2019.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I just don't understand why gratuities are not included in the cruise fare and why are we made to feel guilty if we remove them. Just pay them a decent wage without having to rely on gratuities, bet the President of Carnival doesn't feel guilty about paying staff such poor wages when in 2020, during the pandemic and Cunard and all other Carnival companies were not making any money but he still pocketed $13million dollars an increase of $2million dollars on 2019.

By leaving them on, they are ostensibly part of the cruise fare albeit paid post cruise.

• Like 1