Abbott Rapid ID Test

PSR

Does anyone know if this Abbott test (not done at home) is acceptable for HAL cruising? All discussion I could find was about a home test; we would be going to a drive-up provider.

48 minutes ago, PSR said:

Does anyone know if this Abbott test (not done at home) is acceptable for HAL cruising? All discussion I could find was about a home test; we would be going to a drive-up provider.

Ask your drive-up provider the very specific name of the test, what type of test is it, is it Antigen or Nucleic Acid Amplification (NAAT) so you can check the list below, found on the Holland America Health Safety Q&A under what type of test is acceptable:

"Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). 

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test 
  • Viral antigen test  
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay 
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay  
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction  
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR   
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)  
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test  
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test  
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test  
  • Isothermal amplification  
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)  
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)"
Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 2

Thanks for your comment. I am confused because the provider website says that the test is an "NAAT" test, but does not say it is a "PCR" test in the description. It is also described as a "molecular test", so now I am really confused. It sounds like it should be ok for HAL, but I don't want to get there and be rejected at the pier.

6 hours ago, PSR said:

I am confused because the provider website says that the test is an "NAAT" test, but does not say it is a "PCR" test in the description. It is also described as a "molecular test"

As you can see from HAL’s list of acceptable tests that @12cruise2quoted above, there are a number of different kinds of NAAT tests.  Per the list, one type is a PCR test, another is a molecular test.  (Not all NAAT tests are PCR tests.)

This is from the Walgreens website:

”What is the difference between the types of COVID tests offered by Walgreens? 

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - NAAT is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory to determine results in a variable amount of time†.

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.”

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

I just now (Sat. 9/14 at 10:30 am CT) went through much of the HAL web site re covid and testing and find that for the most part, in writing they have changed the testing requirement to 3 days prior to sailing, not 72 hours--laughably except in one case, where they changed it to 73 days!!!  Oh, my--it's hard to get it all right, but they have made huge progress in putting the 3-day-in-advance requirement in writing.  That helps tremendously!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PSR said:

Thanks for your comment. I am confused because the provider website says that the test is an "NAAT" test, but does not say it is a "PCR" test in the description. It is also described as a "molecular test", so now I am really confused. It sounds like it should be ok for HAL, but I don't want to get there and be rejected at the pier.

This test seems to be the easiest one to schedule around here (we're in the metro Denver-Boulder area and Walgreens is the main testing pharmacy in Colorado) and I assume it's the one you're asking about.  I wasn't sure if it met HAL's criteria either until I found this information published by the FDA specifically regarding the Abbott test:

ID NOW COVID-19 assay performed on the ID NOW Instrument is a rapid molecular in vitro diagnostic test utilizing an isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology intended for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from the SARS-CoV-2 viral RNA ...

Since the highlighted words above in yellow match the highlighted words below (which is straight from HAL's web site list of accepted testing), this is what we'll be getting.  

NAAT include:

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

I just now (Sat. 9/14 at 10:30 am CT) went through much of the HAL web site re covid and testing and find that for the most part, in writing they have changed the testing requirement to 3 days prior to sailing, not 72 hours--laughably except in one case, where they changed it to 73 days!!!  Oh, my--it's hard to get it all right, but they have made huge progress in putting the 3-day-in-advance requirement in writing.  That helps tremendously!

I noticed that too! 😉  I was a technical writer/editor in the medical device industry (regulated by the FDA so no room for error) for much of my professional career and can attest to how hard it can be to make sure everything is consistent, especially when things are changing so quickly as they are currently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

D NOW COVID-19 assay performed on the ID NOW Instrument is a rapid molecular in vitro diagnostic test utilizing an isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology intended for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from the SARS-CoV-2 viral RNA ...

Since the highlighted words above in yellow match the highlighted words below (which is straight from HAL's web site list of accepted testing), this is what we'll be getting.  

NAAT include:

Yes, I noticed the match, also, so it SEEMS like it would be ok. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 12cruise2 said:

they have changed the testing requirement to 3 days prior to sailing, not 72 hours--laughably except in one case, where they changed it to 73 days!!! 

I laughed at that, too! Looks like they tried to change the 72 to 3 days but left the 7 attached...whoops!

Thanks to everyone so far that has replied; I'm still hoping to hear from some cruisers from today's boarding that hopefully will mention some of the tests they used, as mentioned above in Post #5.

• Like 1

The problem is, and leading to much confusion, is on their page showing what tests are acceptable, HAL says Antigen or NAAT, not Antigen or PCR!  This is another huge mistake that needs to be corrected throughout their many other references; I go with the reference that says specifically which tests, not the constant "PCR or Antigen" general reference. . . .

This is leading to a huge amount of confusion for all of us.  Grrrr.

Plus, I'm printing out a few references to the 3 days now instead of 72 hours to take with me just in case someone questions our timing of getting the test on Wed. 9/1 in the morning.  Like Zelker, I worked all my life in jobs that required precision in the work done.  They've said it now in MANY places, so yay.  Plus we're going to get a rapid antigen test and a PCR test at two different places just to be sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ann1bell said:

This is great news! I will be able to get my test early Wednesday morning! Thanks 12 cruise 2! 

Me, too! I can get it free 🤞at CVS early Wed before my flight. (My Plan B was to pay $250 to get it done at SeaTac when I landed. 😯)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

The problem is, and leading to much confusion, is on their page showing what tests are acceptable, HAL says Antigen or NAAT, not Antigen or PCR!  This is another huge mistake that needs to be corrected throughout their many other references; I go with the reference that says specifically which tests, not the constant "PCR or Antigen" general reference. . . .

This is leading to a huge amount of confusion for all of us.  Grrrr.

Plus, I'm printing out a few references to the 3 days now instead of 72 hours to take with me just in case someone questions our timing of getting the test on Wed. 9/1 in the morning.  Like Zelker, I worked all my life in jobs that required precision in the work done.  They've said it now in MANY places, so yay.  Plus we're going to get a rapid antigen test and a PCR test at two different places just to be sure.

I think most companies would require precision 😛.  It’s crazy how hal has to make this so confusing.  That said, the other day one poster said this situation is easy peasy 🙄.  I’ve noticed that this poster hasn’t posted at all in this thread.  I’m happy that posters are sharing useful information that will assist those of us that will follow you.  Thank you.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:42 PM, KirkNC said:

Seems like you need to be a chemist to cruise these days.

Lol you certainly never know what's coming at you next.  We have 2 booked on different lines with different requirements.  It's pretty insane.

Edited by Nymich

This is NOT info about the Walgreen's Abbot ID Now test but rather about CVS Rapid Antigen test in case you have a CVS near that does the test.

We just booked the Rapid Antigen Test at our local CVS this morning early for 9/1 at 9:20 and 9:35 a.  They require tons of info to be typed in and give you 25 mins. to do it while holding the appointment you want.  Be SURE you put in the correct cell phone number (cell required) and email address.  I set up MyChart accounts that CVS requires a few days ago and I entered my husband's email address incorrectly--.neet instead of .net.  Fortunately I figured it out after he didn't get a confirmation email right away as I did, even tho I am pretty sure I entered his email correctly on the appointment request, so of course now I'm worried about that, tho he did get a confirm. of his appointment when I signed him up, and it is noted in his CVS MyChart account.  Always something to worry about.  You'll need to provide insurance info and date of covid shots--or just answer you got the shot and don't follow up with dates.  They ask for an optional picture to be uploaded and of course that you bring an ID to the appointment.  I didn't upload pictures--remember, 25 minutes--and to me it's none of their business--I just would like a covid test!  And my DH and I have two dif. member ID numbers on our new insurance, effective 9/1 of course the day of the shot, tho we are both insured under the same plan, so be careful you don't enter your spouse's ID number as yours--I had them both in front of me and almost made that mistake but caught it.

They also text you a confirm and will text test results and a link to go to, something like that.  I'm vague about how fast they post to MyChart--it says 2 days, yikes, on generic pdf that doesn't mentioned rapid test.  I want to get it clear.  We don't text because we seem to have no need to--except for important stuff like this!

They have a place to park at the CVS for the test marked with signs--we found it today--it's on one side of the building.  You wait there until they call you on your cell, then I think you self-swab.  We also received instructions on how to swab yourself.  They had a ton of stuff online at the very end of the signup to print (that's what I did--takes too long to read the pdfs online and you have only 25 minutes to keep your appt.)--all general stuff that didn't mention the rapid test or timing on it.  The thing to read is on the CVS web site scrolling down from the home page for CVS covid testing.  There is the info for the Rapid test, travel, answers insurance questions and such.  So funny, they say you need to wait in the parking spot after you submit your swab for your test results--that it generally takes "hours" to return the result!!!  Aye.  I'm saying, we'll really need a vacation after this adventure!  Maybe this info will help someone.

Edited by 12cruise2
added words

• 3 months later...

Has anyone confirmed that the Walgreens rapid test (ID NOW) results were accepted by HA at the port? I think there were posters here that were going to get that test, but I don’t see confirmation that they were accepted.

Thanks!

@Baabaaa  Per HALs website FAQs for US ports ...

What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a medically observed SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). 

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test 
  • Viral antigen test  
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay 
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay  
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction  
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR   
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)  
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test  
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test  
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)  
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Edited by zelker

I have always considered myself to be of average intelligence, until now. I can't think of anything that has been more confusing to me than this testing business. I wasn't given any helpful info when I called the HAL agent. At one point, I was ready to give up and cancel my cruise. Instead, I turned the project over to DH, and he figured it out. I  shouldn't have had to work so hard. Hopefully in the future, HAL sill simplify their instructions. 

13 hours ago, Baabaaa said:

Has anyone confirmed that the Walgreens rapid test (ID NOW) results were accepted by HA at the port? I think there were posters here that were going to get that test, but I don’t see confirmation that they were accepted.

Thanks!

I used the Walgreens Rapid Test ID (NAAT) for the Rotterdam on November 10th and had no issues.  It's an accepted Test.  Results back in 1/2 hour!  I'm scheduled again this Friday for my December 5th NS Cruise.

On the List that Zelker poster it's the Molecular Diagnostic Test.  

Edited by idiebabe

1 hour ago, idiebabe said:

I used the Walgreens Rapid Test ID (NAAT) for the Rotterdam on November 10th and had no issues.  It's an accepted Test.  Results back in 1/2 hour!  I'm scheduled again this Friday for my December 5th NS Cruise.

On the List that Zelker poster it's the Molecular Diagnostic Test.  

was this the I ID Now test?   I'm oretty nervous about this whole thing, but have scheduled this test at Walgreen's.    There are so many kinds of tests, and I want to get on the ship next Sunday!   If anyone can speak to this specifically and put my mind at ease, it would be wonderful!

Edited by grest
wanted to add to it