Consequence of getting cruise refund by disputing the credit card charge

crooooze

5 hours ago, sammee said:

These chargebacks are not an easy thing for the customer. I went through it with NCL for a different reason and definitely legit. But I wouldn't want to go through it again. Stressful to say the least.

They are not “easy” for anybody in the mix.  

On 8/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, K_e_short said:

I remember many people on this forum encouraging people to dispute charges. This was in March - June of 2020.

Many 'experts' said this was the best way to get your money back.

No one mentioned any repercussions.

You can't be the only person to have that happen to. If I remember correctly ALOT of people went the route of disputing the charge with their credit card companies.

Hopefully others will learn from your experience.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, BlerkOne said:

That's not my recollection.

I believe I did mention the "No Sail List"  My BIL always put those who did chargebacks attempts or bounced a check on his "No Business" list.  He provided sales and service and realized early that once the service was completed, there were always customers who disputed the charges.  They got to "keep" the service.  

• Like 1

I read here as I recall that someone did this on Royal Caribbean and they were banned from cruising. There is the right way to do this. You can contact Christopher Elliott's team via his website and they can assist you with a refund.  Sometimes cruiselines see a chargeback as a way to circumvent the refund process which they must account for.

Also Carnival can refuse to mediate a chargeback if they feel like its unwarranted. Please note that with COVID it can take awhile to reconcile the till and refund your credit card. 

I am certain that you will get your refund and there are other avenues to do this like writing to Miami.  But if you keep asking where is your refund it can delay the process. A  lot of people are in the same boat.

Its not just the cruiselines but  the airlines, hotels and tour operators are in the same boat so to speak. Patience is key.

If I had the option for a refund or Future Cruise Credit I would take the FCC if I knew I would be sailing during the validity of it and pay any difference. This would speed up the process and it can easily be applied for a future cruise.   I understand that some want a  refund and that is fine but this takes longer. 

Hang in there!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, crooooze said:

Not sure if anyone experienced this....

Last year when it was taking forever to get refunds, I went the route of contacting my credit card to dispute the charge.

Everything worked out and I ended up getting my refund.

Fast forward a year, and I’m booking new reservations - Now Carnival is refusing to accept that credit card.

They said it is part of their “Fraud prevention”... I say it is spite.

Very annoying because that card gives me the most reward value.

I understand … we had $16,000 ish that Carnival said in a letter they had refunded to our credit card on March 23rd … 

(We cancelled an expensive   June 2020 B2B  in  mid February 2020,  because we saw the writing on the wall and did not want to get delayed with 1,000s of cancellations we saw coming .)

so we get this letter dated March 23rd ( a month later ) that our refund had been credited back to our account .

Finally we thought …. Wrong !

April 20th … still no credit 

so we started calling …. First Carnival said it was Chase’s fault ( our credit card company ).

so we called Chase.  

Chase said no credit had been issued on March 23rd .

So for 2 more months ,  we had to go through the Florida Attorney General , BBB etc .

And when I tell you Carnival blatantly lied time and time again IN WRITING …  lying as easily as breathing for Carnival !

even with a letter  we had in hand that said March 23rd …

again , this was weeks before all the mass cancellations started….

finally , our Senator happened to be the head of the Senate Committee for the Dept of Transportation and he pushed a button and we got our refund in mid June !

so I can completely understand why you filed the dispute!

Chase advised the same thing !  Mainly because Chase was mad Carnival was lying about them !

when you are talking $16,000 and you do not know if Carnival is going to survive ( especially after Carnival repeatedly lying to everyone but a Senator !  )… you do what you have to do to protect your money!

Carnival got an F - on this one 

The one Carnival individual we dealt with is no longer with the company … enough said !

BTW, Our refund from NCL came in 2 weeks!

Edited by LHP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHP said:

I understand … we had $16,000 ish that Carnival said in a letter they had refunded to our credit card on March 23rd … 

(We cancelled an expensive   June 2020 B2B  in  mid February 2020,  because we saw the writing on the wall and did not want to get delayed with 1,000s of cancellations we saw coming .)

so we get this letter dated March 23rd ( a month later ) that our refund had been credited back to our account .

so we started calling …. First Carnival said it was Chase’s fault ( our credit card company ).

so we called Chase.  

So for 2 more months ,  we had to go through the Florida Attorney General , BBB etc .

And when I tell you Carnival blatantly lied time and time again IN WRITING …  lying as easily as breathing for Carnival !

finally , our Senator happened to be the head of the Senate Committee for the Dept of Transportation and he pushed a button and we got our refund in mid June !

Chase advised the same thing !  Mainly because Chase was mad Carnival was lying about them !

when you are talking $16,000 and you do not know if Carnival is going to survive ( especially after Carnival repeatedly lying to everyone but a Senator !  )… you do what you have to do to protect your money!

The one Carnival individual we dealt with is no longer with the company … enough said !

Unfortunately not everyone has a Senator who is the head of the Senate Committee for the Department of Transportation.

There are too many on these boards who do not care if Carnival lies. They feel the corporation is always right and the consumer has no rights. They don't care that the service was not delivered, nor the refund within a reasonable timeframe.

And if they try to put you on a no sail list for calling them out and exposing their lies, just contact your Senator again.

Edited by ontheweb
added last sentence

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Unfortunately not everyone has a Senator who is the head of the Senate Committee for the Department of Transportation.

There are too many on these boards who do not care if Carnival lies. They feel the corporation is always right and the consumer has no rights. They don't care that the service was not delivered, nor the refund within a reasonable timeframe.

And if they try to put you on a no sail list for calling them out and exposing their lies, just contact your Senator again.

not only did Carnival not put us on a “no sail list”  … 

Carnival invited our family to cut the ribbon on the Horizon’s first sailing in July ..

which we did !

i have sailed Carnival for over 20 years ( hubby almost 40 ) and we have always called it like it is !!!  Good or Bad !

so sorry you had that experience .

Chase  has a Sapphire card that gives you free travel insurance as long as you charge the entire trip on that card.

sadly we had to use it several years ago when my father in law passed away … and they paid off in 2 weeks.

now it does NOT have medical included , but we have personal health coverage world wide  to take care of that 

2 minutes ago, LHP said:

Carnival invited our family to cut the ribbon on the Horizon’s first sailing in July ..

which we did !

i have sailed Carnival for over 20 years ( hubby almost 40 ) and we have always called it like it is !!!  Good or Bad !

Chase  has a Sapphire card that gives you free travel insurance as long as you charge the entire trip on that card.

sadly we had to use it several years ago when my father in law passed away … and they paid off in 2 weeks.

now it does NOT have medical included , but we have personal health coverage world wide  to take care of that 

Just one correction, I am not the one put on a no sail list. That was a different poster. And a majority of the posters in this thread seem to approve of that. They either said the people making a dispute deserved it or that was the automatic policy or both.

We actually waited for our refund from Princess,  not Carnival. It was posted to the credit card just short of the 90 day timeframe they were promising, so we never had to make the decision of whether to involve the credit card company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHP said:

so we called Chase.  

One experience does not a policy make.  Obviously anyone can do whatever they want. Two wrongs do not make a right. How many sailing in the US does NCL have btw?

42 minutes ago, LHP said:

which we did !

Sure sounds like Carnival did more than step up to the plate, did you talk to Christine about your thinking of them when you had the chance?

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

One experience does not a policy make.  Obviously anyone can do whatever they want. Two wrongs do not make a right. How many sailing in the US does NCL have btw?

True. And Horizon's first (maiden) sailing was April 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

HAs Carnival lied to you?  Was anyone other this one poster talking about Carnival lying?  

Ultimately banning you or not taking your credit card again is pretty petty or spiteful in this situation. I would expect more from a huge company like carnival. When a merchant chooses to take visa and MasterCard they assume liabilities that come with the transaction. One of these is that the consumer has additional protections afforded to them by purchasing with a credit card. If the merchant is at fault after the credit card investigation then that’s the merchants responsibility. If they don’t like it don’t blame the consumer. Blame the credit card industry. Take payments another way. Merchant agreements with credit cards usually have verbiage against retaliation. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, funkidd said:

Ultimately banning you or not taking your credit card again is pretty petty or spiteful in this situation. I would expect more from a huge company like carnival. When a merchant chooses to take visa and MasterCard they assume liabilities that come with the transaction. One of these is that the consumer has additional protections afforded to them by purchasing with a credit card. If the merchant is at fault after the credit card investigation then that’s the merchants responsibility. If they don’t like it don’t blame the consumer. Blame the credit card industry. Take payments another way. Merchant agreements with credit cards usually have verbiage against retaliation. 

I wonder what the exact wording of the agreements between the credit card companies and merchants say about retaliation.

In post #158, it was written that the cc company approved going after Carnival because they felt Carnival lied. Rightfully or wrongfully, there were a lot of disputes filed against Carnival Corporation. How would Carnival Corporation feel if they were retaliated against in the same manner, say we no longer will honor charges to any part of the Carnival Corporation? (They could always say don't blame us, it was automatic by the computer after a certain amount of disputes were filed.) 

49 minutes ago, funkidd said:

I don't know what information is given to the vendor other than that a dispute has been filed by the consumer. Since the dispute could be filed due to a fraudulent charge made by someone other than the consumer it would be folly for the company to accept that card for any future transactions. Given that big corporations process millions of transactions a year it doesn't surprise me at all that they program their computers to reject such transactions. Again, the fix for the consumer is an easy one if this happens to them- use another credit card.

28 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If a consumer claims a fraudulent charge, the credit card company should close the account. If the consumer fraudulently claims a fraudulent charge, the credit card company should fire the customer.

And what about the company accepting the charge? What if they do not meet their terms of agreement for the charge? Should the credit card company stop accepting charges to them?

You really throw around the word "fraudulent". No one else on this thread has used that term. Some have complained that their refund for a cruise that did not happen did not come within a reasonable amount of time.

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If a consumer claims a fraudulent charge, the credit card company should close the account. If the consumer fraudulently claims a fraudulent charge, the credit card company should fire the customer.

Keep going - what’s your wisdom about other examples that are not fraudulent?

• Like 1

Just now, crooooze said:

Keep going - what’s your wisdom about other examples that are not fraudulent?

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And what about the company accepting the charge? What if they do not meet their terms of agreement for the charge? Should the credit card company stop accepting charges to them?

You really throw around the word "fraudulent". No one else on this thread has used that term. Some have complained that their refund for a cruise that did not happen did not come within a reasonable amount of time.

If no fraud was involved, then the customer should be banned by the cruise line at least until made whole. It looks like the appropriate action was taken.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If no fraud was involved, then the customer should be banned by the cruise line at least until made whole. It looks like the appropriate action was taken.

Isn't it the customer who did not receive the cruise paid for and did not receive a refund that needs to be made whole?

On 8/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, peachhead19 said:

As a business owner I can assure you that what you did (it's called a chargeback) actually costs the merchant time and money.  So, I don't blame them one bit; if it were me, you would be blocked from paying with any type of card at all. 

It’s so funny: we are fighting against each other while those “upstairs” who think they are in charge are laughing from upstairs (how these little “bugs” are trying to stay on track to stay focused on having normal life back).

On 8/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, ontheweb said:

Isn't it the customer who did not receive the cruise paid for and did not receive a refund that needs to be made whole?

The customer likely receive an immediate credit back to the account, did they not?