COVID-19 Positive Pre-Cruise

On 8/14/2021 at 5:36 PM, lazydayz said:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  I agree with those who are going to impose a self quarantine pre-cruise, if you able to.  Our next cruise is September 17th, and I am doing the rapid test next time.  Though CVS was quick in getting me the results, it would have been nice to know 36 hours earlier.  

Hope you feel better soon and get to go on your cruise in September. We cruised on Adventure a few weeks ago. Waiting for the PCR test results was a very stressful 24 hours. Our next cruise is in September and we will definitely do the antigen test now that it is an option. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:39 PM, sgmn said:

I know a lady who was in a quarantine hotel at Heathrow last month as was inbound from an African country on the red list. She said it was surprisingly OK. Her food was delivered hot and tasty 3 times a day, she had two outdoor exercise sessions a day and enjoyed watching Wimbledon for hours on end without feeling guilty!

That is the difference between UK and other places like Spain or Majorca etc. But they do pay 2200 pounds for the pleasure. Which is more than 14 days all inc in mexico. 

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Hope you feel better soon and get to go on your cruise in September. We cruised on Adventure a few weeks ago. Waiting for the PCR test results was a very stressful 24 hours. Our next cruise is in September and we will definitely do the antigen test now that it is an option. 

Thank you.  It was stressful to hear everyone on our roll call say they got theirs in less than an hour.  I could have done the same but was worried about a false positive from the rapid test.  In hindsight, pretty funny.  

3 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

That is the difference between UK and other places like Spain or Majorca etc. But they do pay 2200 pounds for the pleasure. Which is more than 14 days all inc in mexico. 

True , but she was coming home for a VERY special reason, definitely worth it and I  guess no other choice . She paid £1750, so around £170 a night full board.  What to do 🤷‍♀️

lazydayz - So sorry about your cruise.  I would be heart broken!

I have skipped around on this this thread, but believe that you said you had been vaccinated.  If so, would you mind sharing when, and which type of dose you received?  I have not heard of many break through cases, but I am curious if there is a connection between dose type, a timeline of when vaccinated, and breakthrough Covid cases.

I have no idea why my font appears to be wonky.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I have skipped around on this this thread, but believe that you said you had been vaccinated.  If so, would you mind sharing when, and which type of dose you received?  I have not heard of many break through cases, but I am curious if there is a connection between dose type, a timeline of when vaccinated, and breakthrough Covid cases.

Thank you.  Don't mind sharing at all.  I figured I needed to put this out there so others who unfortunately test positive would know what to expect.  I had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine in March of this year, exactly three weeks apart.  As to breakthrough cases, we are seeing more and more of them in Florida.  In fact, I know more people who have had breakthroughs than original COVID cases.  When they warned us the Delta variant was way more contagious, they were not kidding. The good news is that I am recovering quickly, and other than a loss of sense of smell, I am getting back to feeling normal.  

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear it!  And thank you for sharing.  We knew of a hand full of people that contracted the original variant, that died.    Knew of several others that had the virus (including my brother and his wife), but all of them had mild cases.    So far, the only new cases in people that we know, are of those that did not get vaccinated.    One of our finishing carpenters (we are building) currently has Covid.  His business partner had Covid back in December.   I asked the partner if they had been vaccinated and neither had.  I asked why, and the reply was that they  have not taken the time off to get one.   I did not scold, but guess who was off today getting his Covid vaccine. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Glad to hear it!  And thank you for sharing.  We knew of a hand full of people that contracted the original variant, that died.    Knew of several others that had the virus (including my brother and his wife), but all of them had mild cases.    So far, the only new cases in people that we know, are of those that did not get vaccinated.    One of our finishing carpenters (we are building) currently has Covid.  His business partner had Covid back in December.   I asked the partner if they had been vaccinated and neither had.  I asked why, and the reply was that they  have not taken the time off to get one.   I did not scold, but guess who was off today getting his Covid vaccine. 🙂

That is good news.  The more people vaccinated the better for all of us.  I have what would be considered a mild case, but it is not fun.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

That is good news.  The more people vaccinated the better for all of us.  I have what would be considered a mild case, but it is not fun.   

Vaccines are failing.  Look at Israel

Glad I'm vaccinated, but outlook looks grim.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Vaccines are failing.  Look at Israel

Glad I'm vaccinated, but outlook looks grim.  

I have to agree that we do not seem to making great progress.  But those who are vaccinated are generally not being hospitalized or dying, at least not at the same rate as the unvaccinated.  

• 4 weeks later...

Update - OP here.  So both hubby and I did our COVID-19 Tests today (via Navica and e-Med) and both of us are NEGATIVE.  

Further update, I have received two random amounts relating to the Allure refund, but Royal still owes me like $1200.  Oh well, I will start calling around October 1, but for now

All effort is focused on getting ready to board the Mariner of the Seas on Friday.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Update - OP here.  So both hubby and I did our COVID-19 Tests today (via Navica and e-Med) and both of us are NEGATIVE.  

Further update, I have received two random amounts relating to the Allure refund, but Royal still owes me like $1200.  Oh well, I will start calling around October 1, but for now

All effort is focused on getting ready to board the Mariner of the Seas on Friday.  

Congrats! 

I have to compliment you on your reaction and attitude to your positive test last month. We have our COVID test tomorrow for our Sunday Oasis cruise. Hope all goes well.

Have a great time on Mariner!!!!

mac_tlc

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, lazydayz said:

We were scheduled to sail the Allure OTS tomorrow.  First time cruising with my sister, first time in Two Bedroom Grand Suite.  Alas, it is not to be.

I did the PCR test Thursday at a local CVS and later that day, loss my sense of smell.  What?  This could not be happening.  But it was.  Got the test results Friday night and it was positive.  I notified everyone I had been in contact with and let my sister know the cruise was off for us.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Royal last night, sent them the test results, and our cruise was officially cancelled.  All monies are to be refunded within 30 to 45 days.  This morning, called the travel insurer and cancelled that policy.  Money to be refunded in five to seven days.

I emailed Dexter, the SL concierge to let him know to release my Coastal Kitchen reservations.  I think that is it.  

As disappointed as I am, I see the value of requiring the test shortly before cruising, even for vaccinated cruisers. It would be awful to infect others and to be sick on the ship.  Kudos to Royal and travel insurer for agreeing to refund all payments, and to my sister for caring more about me than a cruise.  I know my September cruise will be all the better after having to miss this one.  

I’’m so sorry you are missing your cruise and I hope you recover very soon.

Thank you for posting this. With breakthrough cases becoming more prevalent I see that this last minute testing, though annoying, is necessary.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Congrats! 

I have to compliment you on your reaction and attitude to your positive test last month. We have our COVID test tomorrow for our Sunday Oasis cruise. Hope all goes well.

Have a great time on Mariner!!!!

mac_tlc

Thanks and have a great time on the Oasis - one of my favorite ships.  

30 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

I’’m so sorry you are missing your cruise and I hope you recover very soon.

Thank you for posting this. With breakthrough cases becoming more prevalent I see that this last minute testing, though annoying, is necessary.  

Thankfully, our story ended well.  We recovered from COVID and are ready to board Mariner of the Seas tomorrow!!

• Like 3

On 8/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Iamthesea said:

There is no connection - we will all get Covid19 in our life vaccinated or not.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Thankfully, our story ended well.  We recovered from COVID and are ready to board Mariner of the Seas tomorrow!!

I'm not a doctor but have read enough COVID articles over the last 18 months to feel like I've earned an honorary medical degree in COVID.

With the above disclaimer, I believe the upside of catching COVID after you're already vaccinated is that your antibody level is likely to be quite elevated...so you're unlikely to catch COVID again for a while.

• Like 1