Ovation Turned Away Half a Dozen Unvaccinated Cruisers in Seattle

SeaHunt

9 hours ago, barbeyg said:

This is actually the part that lends credence to what they are saying, and throws this back on the TA. My oldest sister and aunt are going to AK with us next May. They aren’t internet savvy, and I am taking care of everything.  They don’t even have wifi because they are on fixed incomes, and their internet is cellular data, because they had to choose one or the other. One of them doesn’t even have a credit card, never needed it. 

While I can’t contemplate being as disconnected as the above, it does happen, and it they used a TA for the trip of a lifetime, shame on that TA. And if they are that disconnected from the internet and the ability to research, they have no idea how to find a cheap hotel online, and may not know that they can change their flights. If that is the case and she speaks the truth, I hope that some compassionate person helped them. 

How is someone with no disposable income going on a cruise?  Or when you say you're "taking care of everything" does that also include finances?  Because Alaskan cruises are not cheap... if they had the money to cruise, they had the money to get a hotel room.  

And if the people in this "news report" did use a TA, that TA should/would have known if these people were not internet savvy, and should have been providing them with luggage tags, SetSail passes, etc., in addition to COVID rules.  

If these people got their own luggage tags and SetSail passes, they were connected enough to know the rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

That does not mean they should board, but I don't quite get the gleeful vengeance calls on here. Hard for the successful to remember that some people are, well, just dumb.

People who take their "I've been wronged" to the media typically attract backlash.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I have more sympathy than most of you for them for not knowing about the vax rqmt.  Some people are not critical thinkers, don't read their mail, don't talk to people and just don't like to investigate anything. They often have gotten by because other people have enabled them by doing everything for them. 

That does not mean they should board, but I don't quite get the gleeful vengeance calls on here. Hard for the successful to remember that some people are, well, just dumb.

No excuses for not being vaxxed, though. That is another level of dumb.

Oh my gosh you just completely described two of my family members!!  I was the enabler that did everything for them for years, until I couldn’t take it anymore!!

They refused to learn how to do anything for themselves.  They weren’t completely dumb…..but totally wanted to be taken care of!!!

We no longer travel with them….🥺🥺

• Like 4

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Read the article, they are old people. Not smart phone types

"Sylver did not try to hide her frustration in a video she made, standing outside Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of the Seas, barred from boarding because she and her family members have not taken the COVID-19 vaccine."

Yeah, clearly "not smart phone types".

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sillyjilly said:

With all the insanity going on right now, anyone who doesn't stay on top of this is just throwing the dice. They did, and they lost.

One could make the argument that anyone engaging in leasure travel right now is just throwing the dice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Looks like those cruisers confused Washington State with Florida... I guess this can happen if absolute basic Geography is a bit overwhelming 😁

In the context of the universe, Washington State and Florida are very close together.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Oh my gosh you just completely described two of my family members!!  I was the enabler that did everything for them for years, until I couldn’t take it anymore!!

They refused to learn how to do anything for themselves.  They weren’t completely dumb…..but totally wanted to be taken care of!!!

We no longer travel with them….🥺🥺

They weren't dumb at all - they were smart enough to figure out how to get you to do it for them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, Tree_skier said:

Rules for Cape Liberty have not been released but I’d expect them to need to be vaccinated from that port.  If, in the unlikely event, Cape Liberty’s rules are the same as Florida’s then not only will they need a test but they will need three tests by Royal and will be charged $178 for them as well they will need to have special insurance to cover any evacuation expenses.  

NY and NJ have been strict all along. I doubt they will let up now that the Delta variant is on the uprise. NY is making it mandatory that city and state workers who don't vaccinate need to test weekly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wildcat85 said:

I am on Ovation leaving Sep 1st. I don’t see anywhere to upload my vaccination card. Where is that?  I checked my app and don’t see it. 

I apologize. False memory on my part. I had to upload it for my Bahamas health visa. Then when I booked my Ovation cruise I made sure to put my husband's vaccine card with his passport so we would have everything together. My mind put the two separate events together.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mek said:

They weren't dumb at all - they were smart enough to figure out how to get you to do it for them!

Sadly ….you are correct.  Now that I won’t do it they have moved on to other family members….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lr657 said:

I think Ovation is sailing from Florida, and cruises from Florida can't require proof of vaccination.

Edit: my mistake, it's sailing from Seattle.

NCL can require proof of vaccination. They are going to be sailing 100% vaccinated crew and passengers.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:28 PM, SSBrickNJ said:

Seeking an answer as well.

I am vaccinated but my wife and daughter have thus far chosen not to be.

We have a RCL cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ in December.

???My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test within the 72 hours timeframe before sailing and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

Per Royal’s website everyone over the age of 12 must be vaccinated except those leaving out of Florida and Texas.   However, if a cruise is leaving out of Florida everyone over 12 must be vaccinated if the cruise is going to St Thomas or the cruise won’t be able to dock and those individuals will be not able to get on board these specific itineraries.    Check Royal’s website for the most current changes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildcat85 said:

I am on Ovation leaving Sep 1st. I don’t see anywhere to upload my vaccination card. Where is that?  I checked my app and don’t see it. 

I assume you are leaving home Sept. 1st and sailing Sept. 3rd.   You do not upload the card, you show it at the pier and they take a photo of it.  We were on the Ovation simulation cruise and that is the procedure.  You also have to fill out the health questioner that is not available until 24 hours before sailing.  If you have not yet done so, download the Royal app.  You only need to do it on one device and can fill it our for everyone on your reservation.  At this time the need for a test 3 days before sailing has only been announced for sailing in August.  I expect it will be continued for September but has not been announced.   We will also be on the Sept. 3 sailing.   

15 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I'll be the first to complain about the ever changing rules all cruise lines seem to be taking now but I dont feel a whole lot of sympathy for them tbh. The reason we have chosen not to cruise is because we fear that the changing rules will present us with a situation that either will deny us boarding or allow us on board with higher costs and reduced use of the ship. We've read the rules, determined they dont seem to be something we agree with. They need to do the same especially now and to hear these people say they couldn't afford to stay a night because they were denied boarding? Good heavens, you shouldn't even be on a ship and it calls into question their judgement overall. 

What is happening now is worse than what we were speculating since March 2020. The on board experience is on par but nobody predicted  these continuous changes.

On the Royal website 

Vaccination Requirements

For cruises departing Seattle in August 2021: All guests age 12 and older must present proof of COVID-19 vaccination, with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days before sailing.

All crew onboard Serenade of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas will be fully vaccinated.

• Like 1