Do you think the unlimited dining package is worth it?

Are you able to use the package on boarding day for lunch or no? 

Also, what's the easiest way to set the rest of your reservations for the rest of the week? By going to one specialty restaurant and having them do all? Guessing you can't via the app. 

On 8/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, CruiseesiurC said:

Hello! I’ve cruised a few times (NCL once, carnival 4x, and RCI once) but my husband is brand new to cruising. He has actually never even travelled internationally before. I’m debating on getting the unlimited dining package. 

We are cruising Anthem on a 9 night cruise (3 port days) and the package is $252 each. I know no one can tell for sure if it is “worth it or not” but would you recommend it? I’ve only been on grandeur before and I liked the MDR and chops. Since it is my husbands first cruise I’m thinking maybe wait until future cruises when he is sick of MDR meals? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you. 

We are content to eat in the MDR and ever pay for Specialty dining.

5 hours ago, colesc15 said:

Also, what's the easiest way to set the rest of your reservations for the rest of the week? By going to one specialty restaurant and having them do all? Guessing you can't via the app. 

If I remember correctly, the either had Chops or Jaime's open for lunch on Symphony when we sailed in 2019.  For the rest of the reservations, I went to Izumi's and made the remainder when I first got onboard.  Some restaurants fill up very quick, like Izumi (hibachi).  Jaime's I was able to call later in the cruise for another reservation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We're getting the Unlimited Dining Package more for the room than the food.  Last time on Liberty, we lucked out and got a table for two, but other times, we've had tables way too close to each other.  In a COVID world that doesn't work for us.

We were in the MDR last month on Freedom, and almost had the entire dining room to ourselves. Only three other tables had guests, and we were spread very far apart. If you are cruising with low capacity, it may be the same for you. 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:39 PM, colesc15 said:

As another poster said, we also sailed in 2019 and you could use it for lunch at Jamie's or anything that was open.  There was no restriction.  It also said it's good for sea day lunches on the marketing material, but we used it at Johnny Rockets during a port day without issue as well.  At no point was there ever any pushback at any restaurant, Playmakers, etc.  Walk in when they were open, enjoy the food, no bill.  I sure hope that hasn't changed.

For your reservations, you could do it at any of the specialty restaurants.  Just have a list of your choices, walk up, and they'll punch them all in on the computer and get you setup.  On that sailing, there were multiple stations in the Promenade setup just for dining reservations.  But post pandemic, who knows if they are still there.  We'll find out next week.  There is no way to book via the app for unlimited dining, at least not back then and I still don't see it on the app now.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BNBR said:

As another poster said, we also sailed in 2019 and you could use it for lunch at Jamie's or anything that was open.  There was no restriction.  It also said it's good for sea day lunches on the marketing material, but we used it at Johnny Rockets during a port day without issue as well.  At no point was there ever any pushback at any restaurant, Playmakers, etc.  Walk in when they were open, enjoy the food, no bill.  I sure hope that hasn't changed.

For your reservations, you could do it at any of the specialty restaurants.  Just have a list of your choices, walk up, and they'll punch them all in on the computer and get you setup.  On that sailing, there were multiple stations in the Promenade setup just for dining reservations.  But post pandemic, who knows if they are still there.  We'll find out next week.  There is no way to book via the app for unlimited dining, at least not back then and I still don't see it on the app now.

Looking forward to you reporting back 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BNBR said:

At no point was there ever any pushback at any restaurant, Playmakers, etc. 

It's not really pushback and is now very clearly stated when you purchase the package.  Izumi has an additional upcharge of $10, a la cart restaurants you get a $35 credit except for Playmakers and BBQ where it's $20.

Guest BigRoger

Hiya I responded on this much earlier to say depended for us on ship type and itinerary (port intensive or not)..... but just to now add having got off Anthem after 2 weeks.... we've not eaten in the MDR for years now but we gave it a go this time.... yes its reduced capacity but we got a great table and the quality of MDR food was excellent (much better than we remembered)..... we never struggled for choices and they were very happy to let you choose (say) 2 starters or a third main to share in the middle.... it really made us think twice about doing dining packages.... except on oasis class ships!  

Is giovanni's wine bar and the restaurant the same? The menus look slightly different and they are showing next to each other on the ship map, but curious since the wine bars food looks a la carte so wasn't sure if the package covered the food at the wine bar 

We did unlimited just before COVID when travelling with friends who also enjoy dining and we loved it. Loys of fun to try new restaurants. Of course we are all experienced cruisers so the MDR was no longer special. But, I don't need to do it everytime. We just got off Ovation last week and we did the 3 night package which was great. (Chops, Jaimes and Wonderland.)  

FYI - under COVID restrictions you cannot sit at a table with strangers in the MDR - so you won't get to meet many new people at dinner. Luckily we were seated at a table for 2, right next to a table for 2, and were able to meet and chat with those new cruise friends - but it's not like the old days. This time, we switched from anytime dining to early dinner (5:30) and found that service was much faster than before. Maybe because they need to get the first group in and out? Anyway, we were always able to be done in 1.5 hours to make a 7 pm show. 

1 hour ago, colesc15 said:

Is giovanni's wine bar and the restaurant the same? The menus look slightly different and they are showing next to each other on the ship map, but curious since the wine bars food looks a la carte so wasn't sure if the package covered the food at the wine bar 

The UDP covers food in specialty restaurants only Giovanni wine bar is not covered. Sorry 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, MikeBayAreaCa said:

There are a few places, Izumi, Playmakers and Johnny Rockets where you get a credit since ordering is also carte.   This does not apply to Chops, Giovannis etc.

There are numerous you tube videos showing Izumi meals.  It’s an easy search.  It certainly looks like a lot of food to me.  

It’s a 35.00 credit per person for Izumi.  So four people can spend $140.00 for one meal.  If you spend $150.00 you pay the extra $10 plus 1.18 gratuity.

If those teenagers like to eat that much make a reservation for alone them at 5:00 and then for them and the rest of the family at 8. 

TY for answering this.

I was hesitant until I  read this post.

We are doing a NYE21 trip on Anthem. Wife wants to do Izumi and I love milkshakes from Johnny Rockets. I was afraid it was only $35 per couple at a la carte restaurants.

So it would be $35 per person, $70 per couple. And if my parents joined we would be at $140 for 4 ppl. 

We have 5 sea days, so we have a chance to eat lunch each sea day at a specialty restaurant, plus dinner. Think it pays for itself.

I can literally do Chops and Jamie's every other day my 2 favorite cuisines.!

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 1:39 PM, colesc15 said:

We could book everything via the app. 

2 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

With Izumi and Teppanyaki having the up charge, once you're in, I'm assuming you're able to order whatever you want from the menu and can ignore the a la carte prices? 

We did teppanyaki with one protein and had no up-charge. 

different evening we had sushi and stayed below the $35/pp. no charge. 

Kind of a related question.  Has anyone noticed that on the new Cruise Planner pages they add a separate gratuity charge, and the old cruise planner pages, it does not and is "included"?  This makes cruises with the old pages a far better deal, since they are priced cheaper than those utilizing the new Cruise Planner pages.  Is this normal?

Did it the first time two weeks ago on Ovation and from a value proposition I think it was absolutely worth it. Walking on and sitting down at Jamie's during embarkation was fantastic and being able to eat at those specialty restaurants was great.

The downside for me was lack of variety. Unfortunately we only got to eat at Izumi once, were not super thrilled with Wonderland so we ended up having basically every meal at Jamie's or Chops. Theres worse things but I did miss the variety of the MDR as I felt going to the MDR was a waste while paying for UDP. Last cruise we did 3 nights at specialty and I think that was a good middle of the road.