Saint Greg's Mardi Gras - LIVE - August 28th-September 4th 2021

Saint Greg

Great review SG!

Thank you for taking us along...

1986 I was working in downtown Manhattan (Nassau St.). Right around City Hall was a parade for the Mets winning the World Series. On our lunch break we went out and joined in. What a party that was!! Keith H. went right by us in the back of a convertible limo (if I remember right). Good times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, meatball_nyc said:

Great review SG!

1986 I was working in downtown Manhattan (Nassau St.). Right around City Hall was a parade for the Mets winning the World Series. On our lunch break we went out and joined in. What a party that was!! Keith H. went right by us in the back of a convertible limo (if I remember right). Good times.

Awesome. Shockingly I don’t think anyone has asked why I’m a fan. As a very young kid around that time, I started collecting baseball cards. The kid next door offered me 20 cards for 1. I thought great deal! I tell my dad. He asks who was the one? I don’t know..something strawberry. I was hooked.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

We're not seeing Afternoon Tea under the What's Happening or the Hungry For More sections on the daily event sheet on sea days. Do you know if Carnival discontinued the tradition of Afternoon Tea service? ( I know some may say "look who you're asking! " but Greg knows lots of stuff besides cocktails and beer 🙂 

I found it on the Hub App while I was onboard for the daily activities.  They had it all 3 of our sea days.  We went just once for the heck of it. I would say perhaps 50-100 people attended in total?  I don't know if that's enough to bother, but I would think as crowds grow over time, so will interest in this, and if not, they could drop it back to just one sea day per sailing rather than all of them. 

It was kind of a fun thing to do. Way in the back of the Palm restaurant by the windows.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meatball_nyc said:

Great review SG!

This was on my bedroom wall. I think I still have it in a poster tube. Surprisingly it’s a Nike poster. It’s so much like Costcos posters. I love Costcos posters. I wouldn’t mind having a room covered in costocos posters.

EdQFMerU8AIxIRt.jpg

• Like 1

Side note when my dad was a kid he wrote a letter to the Mets. He wasn’t a fan. But he figured they were so bad he was good enough to play for them. They wrote him back telling him to get back with them when he’s 17.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Side note when my dad was a kid he wrote a letter to the Mets. He wasn’t a fan. But he figured they were so bad he was good enough to play for them. They wrote him back telling him to get back with them when he’s 17.

So my brother in law invites me to a men's breakfast sponsored by local churches with a special guest speaker. My BIL  doesn't follow sports so he says the speaker is some NASCAR owner or something. A guy named Gibbs maybe. Perhaps Joe Gibbs...

I told him that's not what he famous for but I would attend as it was free and Joe Gibbs would have stories and experiences to share. We get there and Joe Gibbs had a family emergency. Substitute guest speaker...you guessed it! 

Standing on the stage 10 feet from me Darryl Strawberry. The best part is his story left me in tears 😢 because it's so tragic until he turns his life around and he shares his struggles. Very inspiring 👏 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

A07AF620-6D3A-457B-8BA3-D74BCEB2F629.jpeg

Everyone who read this. Who enjoyed this. And wants to do something for me. If you’re on Mardi Gras and Maria is still there. 2nd floor Tiki by day. Alchemy by night. Give her a hug for me. The first time I was on Dream in August of 2018 my review had 30,000 views on the last day. When I returned in December she told me every single week she had people asking for the drinks in my review. This one had over 100k on my last day. We can do this. A hug every week.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Everyone who read this. Who enjoyed this. And wants to do something for me. If you’re on Mardi Gras and Maria is still there. 2nd floor Tiki by day. Alchemy by night. Give her a hug for me. The first time I was on Dream in August of 2018 my review had 30,000 views on the last day. When I returned in December she told me every single week she had people asking for the drinks in my review. This one had over 100k on my last day. We can do this. A hug every week.

John Denver wrote Annie's Song, can't you pen an ode to Maria?

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I think I already did. I said if she’s rejecting tips from all friends from former cruises she needs to stop doing that.

Yeah, I agree. We always love our waitstaff and stewards, always the best crew for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moviela said:

You did a bang on good job. I loved all the pictures and the Jack Benny style deadpan humor. I hope you take everyone along on your Panorama voyage in October.

Many thanks for the great review.

I actually know who that is now. A couple months ago. I fell asleep with the TV on and woke up in the middle of the night and a rerun of the Jack Benny show was on. I rolled over to go back to sleep. When I hear a familiar voice. It’s Barney Rubble! I looked it up and sure enough this guy playing a maintenance man on that particular show was the original voice of Barney rubble. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure why I didn't realize before that it was THAT Maria.  She's awesome.  She was taking a break from Carnival at the end of my cruise on the Dream in Dec 2018/Jan 2019.  At that point she made it sound like she might not be back.  Good to see her back.  She's a great bartender.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, j1d1 said:

Not sure why I didn't realize before that it was THAT Maria.  She's awesome.  She was taking a break from Carnival at the end of my cruise on the Dream in Dec 2018/Jan 2019.  At that point she made it sound like she might not be back.  Good to see her back.  She's a great bartender.

Yeah she came back on Horizon in 2019. Switched from alchemy to Havana at some point. Was transferred to Magic during the COVID shutdown…till like May. Lived in Bulgaria for awhile. Then back to Mexico. And now she’s on Mardi Gras working on the tiki bar during the day and alchemy at night.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

And now she’s on Mardi Gras working on the tiki bar during the day and alchemy at night.

I'll make sure to see her in those two venues next month on our B2B.  

My game plan is 2nd floor Tiki Bar during the day, Fortune Teller Bar for Happy Hour and Alchemy at night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'll make sure to see her in those two venues next month on our B2B.  

My game plan is 2nd floor Tiki Bar during the day, Fortune Teller Bar for Happy Hour and Alchemy at night.

Again, poor Brass Magnolia completely overlooked and underused. Et tu, SNJ?

• Like 1

I'm just getting caught up on this... I've been moving all week, while you were out there floating around on the new Mardi Gras, and drinking up all their alcohol. Makes me even more excited for my upcoming sailing the week after Thanksgiving. Awesome job, Greg...

• Like 8

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Again, poor Brass Magnolia completely overlooked and underused. Et tu, SNJ?

It’s a nice bar. I wish I could’ve been there more often. I would say the fortune teller is more like a bourbon street type bar where the brass magnolia is more like what you would find in an upscale hotel.

• Like 2