NCL Guest Relations is a Joke

InMyFreeTime

16 hours ago, InMyFreeTime said:

As I was going to be travelling alone this year I booked a studio cabin. The basic cruise price for the two weeks in a studio is apr $6000. 

Six grand for two weeks in a Studio?  That's insanely expensive.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, InMyFreeTime said:

Yeah I have the booking confirmations from Sept of 2020 for both bookings each clearly showing the cabin I selected.  There is no dispute by NCL Guest Relations that this was not a change that should have happened.  Thing is that their position is that all they will do is let me choose a new cabin assignment from whats leftover now or keep what they gave me.  No apology.  No compensation.  After all,  its my fault right that I didnt notice sooner that they had delinked my reservations and gave my cabin to someone else.

Did they send you an email informing you of the change??

• Like 1

The risk of sounding facetious, which is not my intention at all, what is a premium location for a studio?  I have a studio booked on an upcoming sailing.

If they could bump you out of your cabin then why the heck can't they bump out the person they put in your cabin?

• Like 5

19 hours ago, InMyFreeTime said:

As I was going to be travelling alone this year I booked a studio cabin. The basic cruise price for the two weeks in a studio is apr $6000.  Add gratuities, streaming wifi, thermal spa, priority access fee, Vibe passes, flight, transfers, hotel etc, and Im over $10000 for the 2 weeks. 

I was empathetic to your plight as many of us have had unexpected changes to our travel plans over the past year and a half, until I got to this part.

You haven't shared the ship, or itinerary with us. Many have provided very good suggestions on ways you could actually get some resolution, and you're refusing to try them. You're claiming you're out over 10K for a studio cabin? Even for a holiday sailing, I have a hard time swallowing that. And as others have pointed out, there are no "good" or "bad" studio cabins. They're all the same with the same inside view of the walls. 

There are currently no cruises that I can find available for Xmas 2021 sailings. So if you still have any cabin at all - keep it and enjoy the holidays in your "subpar" studio cabin. Or, as others have suggested, draft a polite letter explaining what happened and what type of resolution (other than getting back your original studio cabin) you are seeking and give them time to respond. 

With regards to your 10K, you're not out anything. Whatever you've paid to NCL is refundable if you do decide to cancel before final payment. Flights and hotels are a different story, depending on how you booked them, but this early in the game are also probably refundable or transferable as well. You need to decide what is most important to you - having a holiday cruise to celebrate all the wins you mentioned and as an escape from your hardships, or having a specific studio cabin on a holiday cruise. Although your frustration is understandable, in hindsight I'm hoping you'll see how silly it is to be hung up on the specific cabin given the circumstances.

• Like 7

dear sailing12 away. i think you're missing his point. he had a cabin booked, and somehow it became unbooked. usually when a cabin is booked, it's taken out of the inventory. the cabin number shouldnt have even come up.

he is rightly po'd that something he booked and was looking forward to getting, was somehow, due to  someone at ncl f***ing up big time. if you're going to do back 2back, you book the same cabin, so (1) you dont have to move or worry about your luggage, (2) it's a simple way to enjoy 2 separate cruises.

now there are not any cabins available for this person to accomplish this, unless he takes a less desirable cabin. ncl is wholly and entirely at fault here, and should go out of their way to make it up to him. and yes, they should contact the other person and advise that a terrible mistake was made and the cabin was previously booked and therefore unavailable. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shidah said:

I also was unaware that there where prime locations for studios.    

Having stayed in a Studio, I can certainly say there are some I would prefer over others.  Don't want one near the entry doors as some people are inconsiderate and will just let it slam closed (apparently some staff were also using the Studio section to cross the ship instead of going all the way to the elevator lobby), I would also prefer not to be on an outside wall with the public passage on the other side of the wall.  Some might prefer to be on the same deck as the Lounge, but then you may not want to be immediately next to it.

I would prefer 12561-12545 on the Bliss over, say, 12567-12575

That said - if I'm paying $10k for 2 weeks, I'd better be staying in a balcony!

Edited by hallux

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Having stayed in a Studio, I can certainly say there are some I would prefer over others.  Don't want one near the entry doors, I would also prefer not to be on an outside wall with the public passage on the other side of the wall.  Some might prefer to be on the same deck as the Lounge, but then you may not want to be immediately next to it.

All valid points.  In hindsight, I did move away from the Studio Lounge deck to the deck above, in the center section, with no connecting door.  And with only like 10 of 35 studios booked on that deck, I'm looking forward to my nice, quiet, studio cocoon.  😴

24 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Getaway Dec. 22 - 27 2021, Studio cabin $6168 CAD (Inside cabin $1188)

"         Dec. 27 - Jan. 5, 2022 Studio cabin $3123 CAD (inside cabin $1993)

And yes, in each case a balcony is less or only slightly more.  

That's just crazy.  As much as I love the Studio concept and cabins there is zero chance I would pay those prices.

Edited to add:  $6168 CAD is $4853  USD at today's rates.

Edited by ColeThornton

9 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

That's just crazy.  As much as I love the Studio concept and cabins there is zero chance I would pay those prices.

Edited to add:  $6168 CAD is $4853  USD at today's rates.

I know right?  I have a hard time persuading myself to pay that kind of money for a suite/haven so, no way would I pay that for studio, even if it was a b2b holiday cruise.  Mind you, I haven't been able to persuade myself to stay in an inside or studio yet anyway, so, my bad.  

I'm pretty surprised by the people who are replying with unhelpful comments about this person's cabin and / or the price they paid for the cruise.

Only the person paying the bill has to decide if the price is acceptable or not. 

The issue here is not what you think of the price they paid or what you think of the cabin choice. The issue is are you ok NCL arbitrarily changing this person's booked cabin and then blaming them for not noticing the change? Would you be ok with NCL changing your cabin without telling you and telling you it's your fault? 

I don't see how it matters one bit if it's a studio cabin, outside, balcony or suite. If you have booked a cabin, it is supposed be yours for that sailing and it is unacceptable for the cruise line to change it without consulting you. 

It is further outrageous that they blamed the cruiser for not noticing the change sooner. Are you serious? I have cruises booked next year and in 2023 and I am not checking them daily for crying out loud. Completely unreasonable. 

NCL should be working with this cruiser to see how they can correct their mistake by finding them an acceptable new cabin for both cruises, offering acceptable compensation or moving the person they bumped this cruiser for so they have their original cabin back. 

A mistake was made and NCL should own it and work to resolve it. That would be good customer service. 

If a satisfactory resolution is not found, then this person should think long and hard about whether they want to keep these cruises and where they want to direct their vacation money in the future. 

Edited by JillK
  • Like 5

First of all, OP was ok with the cost of the trip.  It doesn't matter what "you think" of the price.

OP wanted the convience of the same cabin.  For me, that would be the most important part of the B2B.  Who wants to pack and unpack???  Does it matter if it's the Haven or the smallest, least expensive cabin on the ship?  Absolutely not!

OP was happy with what she signed up for.....NCL should correct their mistake.

Edited to add: It also doesn't matter what ship and what date!  OP just wants to know how to handle a situation.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 12:26 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

Time to bring in the B-I-G guns and perhaps make some noteworthy newspaper headlines

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) - Elliott Advocacy

Airlines bump you around but you are compensated for it !

Upgrade to a better seat or service or $$$$ compensation !

Get NCL called out on this so it doesn't happen to the next guest  !

this isn't always true on airlines. 

I have paid for a particular seat before and have gotten bumped to a different seat, no compensation was given. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JillK said:

The issue here is not what you think of the price they paid or what you think of the cabin choice. The issue is are you ok NCL arbitrarily changing this person's booked cabin and then blaming them for not noticing the change? Would you be ok with NCL changing your cabin without telling you and telling you it's your fault? 

Excellent post. I agree that the responsibility lies with NCL to make this right. Their mistake. Seriously, how hard could it be? Upgrade the OP for crying out loud. Ships aren't sailing 100% anyway.

However; I do believe it is in the terms and conditions we all sign that the cruise line can change your cabin at anytime for any reason. If not NCL, it is definitely in the Terms for MSC because this is a reasonably common practice on MSC cruises. 

do you have the documentation of the original room assignment? If so that can speak for itself. I made a reservation for a specific room and when I printed the reservation and itinerary I noticed it was a different room# then I specified. So I called them back and they changed it. I believe they put everything in notes. So if there isn't a note of you calling to change the room and they made a mistake in giving up your room then I would keep at them and be writing emails to the top people. Hope it works out for you

• Like 1