Carnival requiring ALL 12 and up to be vaccinated. Will Royal start this as well?

Starting this Sat, 28 Aug, Carnival has revoked all vaccination exemptions from ALL cruisers ages 12 and up. If one is 12 years old or older, they MUST be vaccinated or they will not sail. Does Royal have any plans to modify their vaccination requirements to match this change? I have friends with a 12 year old who is not vaccinated with an upcoming cruise.

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The Allure out of Port Canaveral is doing it now due to ports of call regulations..

Actually it's most of the Royal fleet I think someone said there were only 3 or 4 cruises that didn't qualify.  And from what I heard Carnival is still allowing Medical Exemptions but only Medical Exemptions

The decision was based on a requirement of the Bahamian government. All ships must provide proof of vaccination except for those ineligible. For now, that means children under 12 and those granted a medical exemption.

Failure to comply means the ship will be denied port entry. Apparently Carnival had to send out some letters revoking exemptions.

• Like 1

Just now, Jasukkie said:

There should be no medical exemptions. If you aren't healthy enough to be vaccinated you should have to wait it out. 

I think there are only a few reasons not to get vaccinated such as a serious allergic reaction to the first shot or perhaps people with Guillian-Barre  Syndrome, but it really comes down to what one’s doctor advises and if he will write a letter stating the reason. After that, it is up to the cruise line to grant the exemption.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CruiseBride926 said:

Eh yes and no. Some people might just be allergic to something in it  but are otherwise healthy. 

And that's unfortunate. It's also extremely rare for someone to be allergic to all three options. Tough times call for tough restrictions. There are things I can't do because of health restrictions. iFly looks fun, but I have a chronic shoulder problem that means I can never do it. We just don't have the right to do everything just because someone else does. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, CruiseBride926 said:

Eh yes and no. Some people might just be allergic to something in it  but are otherwise healthy. 

It's extremely rare to get a severe allergic reaction to any of the vaccines.  If for some reason someone is allergic to an ingredient in one vaccine, there are other vaccines available.  The CDC recommends that people that suffer from allergies not related to ingredients in vaccines, get the vaccine.  

Someone who is not fully vaccinated, for whatever reason, is putting themselves at risk by traveling at this point in time, whether by air, land or sea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's extremely rare to get a severe allergic reaction to any of the vaccines.  If for some reason someone is allergic to an ingredient in one vaccine, there are other vaccines available.  The CDC recommends that people that suffer from allergies not related to ingredients in vaccines, get the vaccine.  

Someone who is not fully vaccinated, for whatever reason, is putting themselves at risk by traveling at this point in time, whether by air, land or sea. 

Very early on in the vaccination process there were people who where reported as having allergic reactions to the vaccine which is why you had to sit and wait for 15 to 20 minutes afterward before leaving, yeah it was rare but it did happen, and once you had the reaction you were told not to get the second dose or another type (because the Pfizer and Modern have basically the same ingredients).

When I was getting my first one they were asking the same questions they ask for the flu vaccine so I am assuming that that means the ingredients are similar and since the J&J is the same type of vaccine as the flu it would have those ingredients as well so no there isn't another vaccine that they can take.

• Like 1

Royal began this policy late last week on August 19th to begin on September 3rd due to the Bahamian government's rule that NO ship passenger - regardless of the cruise line -  unvaccinated age 12 and up are not permitted in the country. The ship must submit a manifest prior to docking that shows ALL passengers 12 and up are vaccinated, and if they can't do that, the ship is not allowed to port, and includes private destinations which means Coco Cay. If you are age 12 or older, you must be fully vaccinated or Royal will not allow you to board. Per Michael Bayley, Royal's CEO: "The Bahamas has introduced a Executive order which only allows cruise ships to enter any Bahamian port (including private destinations) only if all guests over the age of 12 are fully vaccinated. Effective September 3rd. So what does it mean ! Along with the USVI order a couple of weeks ago it means all of our ships sailings from Florida and from all USA ports and ports around the world require all eligible guests to be fully vaccinated. Only kids (under 12 from USA ports) who cannot yet be vaccinated can sail subject to testing and protocols."

Edited by fonekween
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

There should be no medical exemptions. If you aren't healthy enough to be vaccinated you should have to wait it out. 

An allergy to vaccine components is not really considered being "unhealthy".....just allergic. Having said that, we have two types of vaccines here in the US. Surely, it would be pretty near impossible for an individual to be allergic to both types of vaccines. Note: I said "near" impossible.

7 minutes ago, fonekween said:

Royal began this policy late last week on August 19th to begin on September 3rd due to the Bahamian government's rule that NO ship passenger - regardless of the cruise line -  unvaccinated age 12 and up is permitted in the country. The ship must submit a manifest prior to docking that shows ALL passengers 12 and up are vaccinated, and if they can't do that, the ship is not allowed to port, and includes private destinations which means Coco Cay. If you are age 12 or older, you must be fully vaccinated or Royal will not allow you to board. Per Michael Bayley, Royal's CEO: "The Bahamas has introduced a Executive order which only allows cruise ships to enter any Bahamian port (including private destinations) only if all guests over the age of 12 are fully vaccinated. Effective September 3rd. So what does it mean ! Along with the USVI order a couple of weeks ago it means all of our ships sailings from Florida and from all USA ports and ports around the world require all eligible guests to be fully vaccinated. Only kids (under 12 from USA ports) who cannot yet be vaccinated can sail subject to testing and protocols."

So, assuming the FDA approves the vaccine for those under 12 (I believe I heard they are working to certify it for children 5-12) then 5 years old an up would have to have the vaccine to sail?

1 hour ago, CruiseBride926 said:

To get a medical exemption on carnival requires your doctor to certify you cant have the vaccines. Unlikely. Medical is the only exemption I read allowed. Doesnt apply to me so I didnt read it carefully and could be wrong.

20210822_224752649.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

So, assuming the FDA approves the vaccine for those under 12 (I believe I heard they are working to certify it for children 5-12) then 5 years old an up would have to have the vaccine to sail?

Most likely yes, Once that age groups becomes eligible they may give a little leeway in the timing at first to allow families time to get that age group vaccinated.

i.e. if FDA grants emergency use for children ages 5-11 (12 already approved) in September then they may make it a requirement for the holiday sailings (November/December) for children 5 and up to be fully vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

You are correct. I can’t find any condition that absolutely prohibits taking the vaccine. I’ve been wondering about it since it is the only acceptable exemption besides age. Even groups I thought would be off limits are encouraged to be vaccinated.

So I don’t know who qualifies for an exemption. I guess it depends on doctor’s advice and what the cruise line will accept.

26 minutes ago, toad455 said:

I hope so. Too many islands are requiring vaccinated guests only. Why cruise if you can't get off the ship. Another barrier for the cruise lines to deal with.

No one will get off the ship because it will not be allowed to dock. That is the problem. 

The barrier is the unvaccinated, and the cruise lines are dealing with it by not allowing them to sail, exemptions noted.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Babr said:

You are correct. I can’t find any condition that absolutely prohibits taking the vaccine. I’ve been wondering about it since it is the only acceptable exemption besides age. Even groups I thought would be off limits are encouraged to be vaccinated.

So I don’t know who qualifies for an exemption. I guess it depends on doctor’s advice and what the cruise line will accept.

Here are the requirements for Royal's medical contradiction exemption:

image.thumb.png.f07040f4ca109d83ce1bd19699f8a035.png

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Here are the requirements for Royal's medical contradiction exemption:

image.thumb.png.f07040f4ca109d83ce1bd19699f8a035.png

Interesting....A doctor who affirms a non-vaccinated patient should go on a cruise, IMO, should be worried about keeping his / her medical license. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Interesting....A doctor who affirms a non-vaccinated patient should go on a cruise, IMO, should be worried about keeping his / her medical license. 

I would think asking a doctor to write that down is asking for medical malpractice. My PCP is pretty realistic about what what he will sign his name.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mauraoel said:

Very early on in the vaccination process there were people who where reported as having allergic reactions to the vaccine which is why you had to sit and wait for 15 to 20 minutes afterward before leaving, yeah it was rare but it did happen, and once you had the reaction you were told not to get the second dose or another type (because the Pfizer and Modern have basically the same ingredients).

When I was getting my first one they were asking the same questions they ask for the flu vaccine so I am assuming that that means the ingredients are similar and since the J&J is the same type of vaccine as the flu it would have those ingredients as well so no there isn't another vaccine that they can take.

Took Mom her first shot start of Jan and second first of Feb, had wait 15 min after each. By time had mine First March I was in and out the door in less then 10 min, less then 1 min after shot. 

1 hour ago, cruizzing said:

CDC just added Bahamas as very high travel risk. Wonder if this will have an impact on exemptions. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-the-bahamas

Looks like with this new warning, a doctor is even more less likely to sign an exemption.

• Like 2