Reservation for Windjammer ?

coaster

I was reading through some reviews here on recent sailings earlier today. One mentioned having to have a reservation for Windjammer. I don’t remember the ship mentioned and tried to go back and find it again without luck. Is this a thing?

Edited by coaster

On Anthem of the Seas August 7th sailing it was possible to make a reservation for lunch so I did it on the first day but it was not needed, it was always the case that you just walked up when you were ready. That said we were sailing with only 1100 passengers out of about 4800 when full. I did think it must be chaotic on a full cruise so maybe they use a reservation system then.

Thanks for the replies. I always go to Windjammer last minute when I wake up at any random time for breakfast and go there for lunch later when I need a bite to eat later without planning. Hopefully it will be the same deal in October on Serenade.

Edited by coaster

Just got off Independence. They do not require reservations in the Windjammer but they do scan your card when you wank in and when you leave to keep a head count of passengers. I assume at some point if they were over the allowed number based on the social distancing guildllines they would hold people up until someone left. Only about half the tables are allowed for dinning. With the lower passenger count this was never a problem on our cruise and there were never any lines to get food. They have people serving you when you ask for food and I thought it worked well. Given the lower passenger numbers they are only open for breakfast and lunch. It worked great on our cruise. Oh they also have multiple hand washing stations as you walk in and someone asking you to wash your hands before you enter. 

• Haha 1

Just got off of Allure on Sunday;  no reservation needed for WJ, but they did scan your sea pass card on the way and the way out.  Assuming that at some point in the future capacity controls will be put in place

Here are a few screenshots from the app with information on the Windjammer for the Serenade of the Seas sailing on September 6th.  It is not open for dinner at all and dinner will be in the MDR.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.7e002848f7874bad544ec85bc00e78b7.jpg1553694678_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.f32736c39d00061085bb70e77926b1cb.jpg

11 minutes ago, Marilyn Johannes said:

On Ovation right now. No reservations needed but they have asked if you are finished to please leave so other diners can come in. They don’t want you sitting around after eating when others are waiting to get in. 

That seems like common coutesy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marilyn Johannes said:

On Ovation right now. 

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I’m on Serenade right now. 

Have a great cruise, any chance of some photos of the food ?🙂

Any  photos of the food.  Thanks 

Edited by Hogbay
Typos

12 hours ago, coaster said:

Never eat at WJ for dinner. I would be ok with it, but a no no for DW. Got to keep her happy…

The Windjammer is not for everyone. The same goes for the MDR. It is great that people have choices. Hopefully my dinner choice will be reinstated soon.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Windjammer is not for everyone. The same goes for the MDR. It is great that people have choices. Hopefully my dinner choice will be reinstated soon.

One of the main deciding factors for me purchasing the UDP is the Windjammer being closed for dinner.  Im over the MDR.  May sound crazy but at least I had OBC to cover it. lol 

10 hours ago, tserface said:

That seems like common coutesy!

I have never been asked to leave the Windjammer before that is why I posted that. Not sure how they will handle the crowds when they get back to normal capacity. We have 1800 passengers and things seem a little crowded with some venues closed. 

57 minutes ago, Marilyn Johannes said:

I have never been asked to leave the Windjammer before that is why I posted that. Not sure how they will handle the crowds when they get back to normal capacity. We have 1800 passengers and things seem a little crowded with some venues closed. 

Apologies. I didn't mean to sound judgmental.  It just bothers me sometimes when people are done eating and there are others walking around looking for a place to sit.  So, especially in these times of fewer tables, it would make sense for people to move of their own accord.  I'm not saying people need to gulp up the last bite and hurry up and get out, but I've seen people sitting there reading, playing cards, just looking out the window, etc. while others are clearly trying to find a table before the food is stone cold 🙂

You're right though. I don't remember ever being asked to leave before either.  I'm hoping with some new breakthroughs (vaccine getting approvals, boosters, people being better about wearing masks in crowds, etc.) by the time they ramp up the world will be a safer place to cruise.

BTW, I super appreciate your updates from your cruise.  Those of us still waiting are addicted to the reports and appreciate them greatly.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The brisket i had for lunch yesterday was great and the stir fry vegetables were fresh and crisp. Certainly not overdone which is common with mass prepared veggies 

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The brisket i had for lunch yesterday was great and the stir fry vegetables were fresh and crisp. Certainly not overdone which is common with mass prepared veggies 

I loved the stir fry that was in the Windjammer at dinner.  The variety of veggies they offer along with the sauce, I would try to get that every night.

• Like 1