CDC update

traceytd

5 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

We’re scheduled for a PCR test through our health plan & will now need to move it back by a day due to the new CDC regulations. I’ll research those drug store options just in case our results take longer. My health plan tests take about 24 hours to get results but if the surge results in a delay need to have a backup plan.

So far, Princess hasn't changed the 3 day guideline, but of course that could change at any moment. We have tests booked for day 2 and day 3, since we could make them 2 weeks out, and we'll adjust if the requirements for testing change. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 5:35 PM, pris993 said:

Booked for January 31st... so no point in getting too excited by CDC updates at this point/  Things keep changing, what else is knew from the CDC!!

I'm glad that the CDC makes "knew" recommendations as the virus changes, data changes, and research changes.  They are on top of things and not just stuck in old ways.  Such is Science.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Requiring tests for vaccinated people is belt and suspenders.  I have pressed the CDC for the science behind that and they don't have any studies to back it up.

I'm guessing they are testing even vaccinated people since there are a lot of break through cases with people who have already been vaccinated, especially if your efficacy is going down.  Saw an article this morning that 1 out of 4 people testing positive now have been vaccinated

Judy from SW Florida (the virus capitol of the world)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

I'm guessing they are testing even vaccinated people since there are a lot of break through cases with people who have already been vaccinated, especially if your efficacy is going down.  Saw an article this morning that 1 out of 4 people testing positive now have been vaccinated

Judy from SW Florida (the virus capitol of the world)

I think you are right on the money.  

• Like 2

Am fine with testing, though it might be tight for travel to Vancouver for Alaska cruising next year so I'll be interested to see where we are in the process at that time.  But I didn't read the Princess fine print -  thought it would be a 100% vaccinated passenger requirement in 2022, which is why we booked a cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrandiGreg said:

I'm glad that the CDC makes "knew" recommendations as the virus changes, data changes, and research changes.  They are on top of things and not just stuck in old ways.  Such is Science.

My point is things change so much, I will wait to see what going on in December, a month before my trip.  I worked for the federal govt for 30 years, retired 20 years ago, my impression is federal agencies were more professional across the board years ago than now.  Now too political. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Requiring tests for vaccinated people is belt and suspenders.  I have pressed the CDC for the science behind that and they don't have any studies to back it up.

When did you press them?  The recent data about Delta is pretty clear.  Recent data from Israel (which tracks their cases much more closely) indicated that vaccine efficacy (Pfizer) was only about 50% when it came to preventing asymptomatic and mild cases.  Still about 90% for preventing serious disease. 

Data from a Singapore study is pretty clear that virus loads are similar for both vaccinated and unvaccinated infected individuals so both can transmit. Though the virus clears faster for vaccinated individuals so they are infectious for a shorter time.

Bottom line is that prior to Delta testing was not needed for vaccinated individuals, with most cases being Delta there is now a need.

• Like 5

I wonder what the morbidity rate for a vaccinated person catching Covid from another vaccinated person is?  That's where we need to be concerned.  Unvaccinated people are putting themselves and other unvaccinated people at risk, not vaccinated people.

It's the unvaccinated that are dragging us down.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I wonder what the morbidity rate for a vaccinated person catching Covid from another vaccinated person is?  That's where we need to be concerned.  Unvaccinated people are putting themselves and other unvaccinated people at risk, not vaccinated people.

It's the unvaccinated that are dragging us down.

And despite this vaccine hesitancy remains much too high.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And despite this vaccine hesitancy remains much too high.

Yes, I am amazed at the excuses.  Over 171 million vaccinated so far and look how miniscule the side effects of the vaccine have been compared to the deaths from those unvaccinated.

In one of my previous incarnations, I supervised a travel immunization clinic be and was amazed at the people traveling to areas with known diseases but wouldn't get the vaccines available. 

You can't fix stupid.

• Like 4

I think this topic was a false alarm. The CDC website that Princess references dated August 20, 2021 says "People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip and 3–5 days after their trip, regardless of vaccination status."

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

The CDC Operations Manual says "Viral (NAAT or antigen) no more than 2 days before boarding† or viral test on embarkation day."

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#table-0

I think that language was added on May 14, 2021.

I haven't heard of anyone being denied that showed a negative test result dated 3 days, so I think I will stick with 3 days until told otherwise.

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 1

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

Every one of us has experienced the unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our cruise travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the global pandemic began in early 2020.  Frankly, we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

Over the past few months, we have heard from many of you that the discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many topics have derailed or devolved into arguments.  Cruise Critic understands the passion you all have – we have it too! -- and we are confident that we’ve moderated with a light hand and most discussions have run their course. However, there simply are better places on the web to learn about --  and debate --  scientific, medical and political issues. 

The good news is….we now have a great deal to look forward to!  Cruise (and travel) is beginning to open up again and it is  time to refocus on why we are here:  our love of cruise!  So, here are the specifics:

• We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: 
    • No statistics about infection rates, 
    • no discussions about where the virus may have started, 
    • no dialogue about individual rights, 
    • no commenting about after-effects of vaccinations,  
    • no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, 
    • no anti-vaxxer or pro-vaxxer comments of any kind, 
    • no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

• We will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO CRUISE. Things like:
    •  vaccination policies issued by individual cruise lines, venues or destinations, 
    •  cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for cruisers or things they might need to know that are different from ports of call to embarkation ports are all valid topics. 
    • official policies issued by cruise line, travel destinations, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for boarding or shore excursions can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the Cruise Critic Community to do that.  If, however, you are here to talk about the most passionate of vacation travel -- cruising -- let's get on with it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5