Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

3 hours ago, alwaystheslavyer said:

Anyone bidding on the Oct 15th Escape cruise? When I booked all spa/haven rooms were listed as sold out. I am hoping to get an upgrade to a spa or haven room...They have a lot of rooms listed to bid on.

Anyone know what my chances might be? It seems pretty bleak based on what I've read. 

There's always a chance for a last minute cancellation.  You really won't know on those sold out categories until the week of (or even the day of, in some cases!).  We had to cancel a Haven 2 br. in January 3 days before sailing, due to illness and then passing of my FIL.  The Haven had been sold out.  So someone got an upgrade last minute. 

Good luck with your bidding!  Always book where you are happy to stay, and if you get the upgrade, it's just a bonus!

On 8/23/2023 at 7:42 PM, nhtravels said:

There's always a chance for a last minute cancellation.  You really won't know on those sold out categories until the week of (or even the day of, in some cases!).  We had to cancel a Haven 2 br. in January 3 days before sailing, due to illness and then passing of my FIL.  The Haven had been sold out.  So someone got an upgrade last minute. 

Good luck with your bidding!  Always book where you are happy to stay, and if you get the upgrade, it's just a bonus!

Sorry about your loss and the missing of the cruise. 😞

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a question about the bidding process:

Let's say that you have an insider cabin now but want to be in a balcony.  An Oceanview upgrade is not much money.

What gives you a better chance of successfully bidding on a balcony?

Assume that both scenarios cost the same:  Is it better to pay a small upgrade to get to Oceanview and then bid near minimum on the Balcony, or is it better to bid substantially above the minimum and hope for a double upgrade?

31 minutes ago, Mrsmeliger said:

Let's say that you have an insider cabin now but want to be in a balcony.  An Oceanview upgrade is not much money.

Assume that both scenarios cost the same:  Is it better to pay a small upgrade to get to Oceanview and then bid near minimum on the Balcony, or is it better to bid substantially above the minimum and hope for a double upgrade?

The award of upgrades is a mystery. Just bid on the balcony. There is no magic threshold to improve your chance of winning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mrsmeliger said:

Birdtravels-  Thanks for trying to help. 🙂

Bidding is no  "mystery" it's an algorithim.  I was hoping that someone who was either in the same situation or someone familiar with the algorithm would have some feedback here.

It's all about revenue.

How can they make the most.  Someone in an OV may have paid less than some in an inside depending on when they booked it or if they used a discount coupon or even a cruise next cert.

The inside has a better chance.

The only difference is you are allowed to bid two categories higher based on where you are.

Inside will not get a Haven opportunity but Balcony will.

4 minutes ago, Mrsmeliger said:

Bidding is no  "mystery" it's an algorithim.  I was hoping that someone who was either in the same situation or someone familiar with the algorithm would have some feedback here.

You're right it's algorithm, which I'm sure is constantly changing based on different  factors. The only constant is the higher you bid, the greater chance you get it, though that's not a guarantee.  So, bid as high as makes you comfortable and cross your fingers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mrsmeliger said:

You can’t bid for ocean view and then once awarded turn around and get the invite to bid again, if you bid on both but only want the balcony bid on the balcony only but if your happy with either then bid on both and see if you luck out on either 

• Like 1

we recently did ncl encore alaska, we bid max on all 1 bds in the haven and mid range  on 2bds and min on owners.  Ship was fully booked, did see three haven options the last week, we didn't win a bid from balcony suite. 

Was a good cruise, fully booked wasn't too crazy on the ship was manageable. 

• Like 1

I have bids on two room for a November cruise. I got approved for the NCL credit card which will arrive in 10 days. Can I cancel these bids and rebid using the NCL card (thinking of getting the $1K spent to receive the $200 credit for my cruise or towards the next).

I guess what I'm asking is can you cancel a bid and rebid for the same type of rooms again?

10 minutes ago, be4unoit said:

I have bids on two room for a November cruise. I got approved for the NCL credit card which will arrive in 10 days. Can I cancel these bids and rebid using the NCL card (thinking of getting the $1K spent to receive the $200 credit for my cruise or towards the next).

I guess what I'm asking is can you cancel a bid and rebid for the same type of rooms again?

Yes.  You can cancel and rebid any time before the bid is accepted.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 2:41 PM, Mrsmeliger said:

That’s the point.  None of us know the algorithm.   Believe me….many, many of us (including me) have spent years trying to find a pattern, a logic…anything trying to figure it out.  No one has.

No doubt it’s a vehicle to extract more revenue from cabin categories that may be slow moving.  But, they accept bids for sold out cabin categories…which I believe is simply another way to mask the bidding algorithm!

Bid what you want, on what you want.  Check fare prices to see if it’s cheaper just to book what you want instead of bidding.

Best advice I know!

• Like 5

On 9/2/2023 at 2:49 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

It's all about revenue.

How can they make the most.  Someone in an OV may have paid less than some in an inside depending on when they booked it or if they used a discount coupon or even a cruise next cert.

The only difference is you are allowed to bid two categories higher based on where you are.

Inside will not get a Haven opportunity but Balcony will.

This is what I believe hurt us.  We booked an ocean view with the picture window for the Jewel cruise we just got off.  We used a FCC and two CNC.   Even bidding the maximum for both balcony and club balcony suites we were unsuccessful even though they had about 40 of these cabins left a week before our cruise.  Considering my husband was willing to pay zero dollars, as we spent a small fortune this past March, we were not disappointed in not winning.  Our selected cabin was in a perfect location for us.  Now, the bathroom and bed situation are a different story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That’s the point.  None of us know the algorithm.   Believe me….many, many of us (including me) have spent years trying to find a pattern, a logic…anything trying to figure it out.  No one has.

No doubt it’s a vehicle to extract more revenue from cabin categories that may be slow moving.  But, they accept bids for sold out cabin categories…which I believe is simply another way to mask the bidding algorithm!

Bid what you want, on what you want.  Check fare prices to see if it’s cheaper just to book what you want instead of bidding.

Best advice I know!

There is always the possibility that someone may cancel their reservation for one of the sold-out categories--which NCL can then fill with one of the folks who bid on it. 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:49 AM,  mscdivina2016 said: 

It's all about revenue.

Inside will not get a Haven opportunity but Balcony will

This poster has posted literally thousands of times.  Maybe she works for MSC?  Maybe this is a guess.

Does anyone know if the above is actually true of the algorithm?  

The upgrade program just reduced two categories on our upcoming cruise, so that would seem to rebut that a total spent calculation is how the algorithm works...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mrsmeliger said:

It's all about revenue.

This poster has posted literally thousands of times.  Maybe she works for MSC?  Maybe this is a guess.

The upgrade program just reduced two categories on our upcoming cruise, so that would seem to rebut that a total spent calculation is how the algorithm works...

It might be good to read this whole thread (and maybe the previous one).

Good luck figuring out the algorithm, if you do I would suggest you buy a lottery ticket 😉 

Even if she worked for MSC that would have no impact on her response to an NCL thread.

5 hours ago, Ashlynkat said:

There is always the possibility that someone may cancel their reservation for one of the sold-out categories--which NCL can then fill with one of the folks who bid on it. 

I suppose.  But, I think that’s a long shot, at best.  It would mean that someone cancelled, probably forfeiting their fare.  That would be a rarity.  Anything’s possible, though!

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

I suppose.  But, I think that’s a long shot, at best.  It would mean that someone cancelled, probably forfeiting their fare.  That would be a rarity.  Anything’s possible, though!

It's unfortunate but far from rare with there probably being at least one last-minute cancellation for nearly every single cruise sailing. Life events pop up all the time (such as illness or other home emergencies) that can cause a last-minute change in holiday plans. You are completely right that it usually ends up in forfeited fares. But NCL doesn't care and that's why travel insurance exists.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashlynkat said:

It's unfortunate but far from rare with there probably being at least one last-minute cancellation for nearly every single cruise sailing. Life events pop up all the time (such as illness or other home emergencies) that can cause a last-minute change in holiday plans. You are completely right that it usually ends up in forfeited fares. But NCL doesn't care and that's why travel insurance exists.

Maybe…..I wouldn’t count on that as a path to get an upgrade that you bid on, however.  And true, NCL doesn’t care who’s in the cabin, as long as it’s occupied.

In the end, I prefer to go ahead and get the cabin type and category I want.  I have bid on cabins for upgrades in the past. Never got one.  But, it didn’t matter as I already have the cabin type I booked and wanted to begin with.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Any thing is possible even winning an upgrade bid to the Haven is possible.  Very unlikely but possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrsmeliger said:

It's all about revenue.

Since what you paid has absolutely nothing to do with how much additional income NCL could make if they award you an upgrade it doesn't seem logical that price paid - or how it was paid - would have anything to do with how bids are processed. I've never seen any indication that the bidding process has any "reward" aspect to it - so things like latitudes status or price paid does not seem to be a consideration.

If you paid nothing and bid $100 for an upgrade, the potential revenue to NCL is $100 plus whatever revenue they would get for reselling or upgrading someone else into your cabin. No different than someone who might have originally paid $$$ for that same cabin.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:20 PM, julig22 said:

If you paid nothing and bid $100 for an upgrade, the potential revenue to NCL is $100 plus whatever revenue they would get for reselling or upgrading someone else into your cabin. 

But if we use your example, not from a cabin point of view but from a revenue per guest it comes out different.

Payed nothing and then $100 bid versus paid $1000 and bid $100.

Who is more valuable?

I have never won a bid with a double points upgrade to Haven and I must have close to 100 bids over the last couple years. (Several categories on each sailing)

Has anyone??  

I am on NCL next week and I just paid for Haven.

I am on Princess now and again paid for what I wanted.

48 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I have never won a bid with a double points upgrade to Haven and I must have close to 100 bids over the last couple years. (Several categories on each sailing)

Has anyone??  

Are you referring to when they offer extra latitudes points per night?  If so then yes, you can still get an upgrade.

I recently did back to back Alaska cruises that offered 3 extra points per night (so 56 points for the 14 nights) and won upgrades on both cruises.  We were booked in a balcony and were upgraded to the Owners Suite for 7 days and then to a Penthouse Suite for the other 7.