Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

3 minutes ago, cruiser101_1 said:

Nice... Do they get FCC/Refund/Other sailing in such case?

From what I've seen posted lack of test results is treated the same as you don't have a passport...in other words you go home with no refund. Their policy states refund if you're positive. It has nothing about if you can't get a test. 

38 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

From what I've seen posted lack of test results is treated the same as you don't have a passport...in other words you go home with no refund. Their policy states refund if you're positive. It has nothing about if you can't get a test. 

What a wonderful business model! So it means that if Walgreens or CVS screwed up and don't send the results, ppl lose thousands?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I thought royal was only testing the unvaccinated children in bahamas.

NCL wants passengers to test either 48 hrs or 3 days before cruise.  Are they also retesting every passenger at terminal or just those that were unable to test?

No way do I wish to spend a couple thousand for hotel and food at a hotel that I am stuck to quarantine in hotel room.  So for now any cruise we book will be a drive to port only cruise, which really limits us since I live in PA.  

When I did my Sat 8/21 AOS Cruise in Nassau, Royal only tested unvaccinated children with an antigen test (no PCR). All adults were not tested, but had to be vaccinated, showed proof of vaccination. All passengers required an antigen test 3 days prior to sailing: my part of 6 (3 adults, 3 minors) did the eMed test on the Wednesday 8/18 which was accepted by Royal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, exm said:

When I did my Sat 8/21 AOS Cruise in Nassau, Royal only tested unvaccinated children with an antigen test (no PCR). All adults were not tested, but had to be vaccinated, showed proof of vaccination. All passengers required an antigen test 3 days prior to sailing: my part of 6 (3 adults, 3 minors) did the eMed test on the Wednesday 8/18 which was accepted by Royal.

Thank you for confirming that Royal did not test All passengers in the bahamas as other posted said.    

I followed your live review and enjoyed hearing about your adventure.     🤩

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser101_1 said:

What a wonderful business model! So it means that if Walgreens or CVS screwed up and don't send the results, ppl lose thousands?

Exactly why I am not cruising until the testing requirement is lifted.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 10:47 PM, ryano said:

The problem is, the Binax Now AG card test is gonna be harder to get as time goes on.  Someone posted that one of the major news networks mentioned them.  One of the vendors is already having a tough time keeping them in stock. 

Order them directly through the app Navica, which is what you use to request the e-appointment with emed.com.  When you open the app, there is a choice for "I need a test", and it takes you to emed.com's web site to buy them. 

• Like 1

My first cruise coming up in November.  Being a Canadian is even more difficult but so desperate I think I’ve figured it out.  Will get the Antigen test in Canada 72 hours before I board Navigator in Los Angeles. 

I’ll fly to Las Vegas for an extra vacation and get my PCR test there to come back into Canada.  

Went to Las Vegas in August and it was pretty easy.  Just to confirm Americans do not need an extra test when getting off the ship?

Any advice appreciated.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

RCL will be making a storefront to purchase the exact same test eMed is using, but through RCL.  Presumably they won't require you to purchase 6 of them!  Looks like this'll be available starting September 8th.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TytalusWarden said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

RCL will be making a storefront to purchase the exact same test eMed is using, but through RCL.  Presumably they won't require you to purchase 6 of them!  Looks like this'll be available starting September 8th.

RCI will be linking to the Optum site that we all currently have access to. As of now the smallest order they process is a 2 pack. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

RCI will be linking to the Optum site that we all currently have access to. As of now the smallest order they process is a 2 pack. 

Good point, looks like $70 for 2, $100 for 3.  Guess I'll have to bundle with my family to get the 3-pack for $100.  Still better for us than $150 for 6... 3 of which we wouldn't use.

17 minutes ago, TytalusWarden said:

Good point, looks like $70 for 2, $100 for 3.  Guess I'll have to bundle with my family to get the 3-pack for $100.  Still better for us than $150 for 6... 3 of which we wouldn't use.

Just food for though. I have read a couple

folks that experienced a defective test in their order when it came time for testing. They were refunded, but if they had not had a spare on hand, they would have been up a creek, so to speak. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, TytalusWarden said:

Use your flexible spending card to purchase the tests; IRS says it is a reimbursable test.

Some people reported getting a faulty test, where the swab didn't fit into the opening. The other reason to have spares is that they're good for returning from international travel, or for future cruises. You might have relatives/friends who will cruise or travel internationally, who would be happy to have them. They're also valuable if people have a reliable testing option in the port city, but want assurance before they leave that they're not positive, risking quarantine at the port. That would be especially important if you're in a vulnerable health category or traveling with an elderly family member, like the grandmother who died on the Carnival ship--multiple tests before boarding and even on board before she become symptomatic might have saved her life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, revamp said:

My first cruise coming up in November.  Being a Canadian is even more difficult but so desperate I think I’ve figured it out.  Will get the Antigen test in Canada 72 hours before I board Navigator in Los Angeles. 

I’ll fly to Las Vegas for an extra vacation and get my PCR test there to come back into Canada.  

Went to Las Vegas in August and it was pretty easy.  Just to confirm Americans do not need an extra test when getting off the ship?

Any advice appreciated.

FYI - Royal along with other cruise lines have changed the requirement to test 2 days before boarding.     

Starting September 8th you will be able to buy the home test kits online thru Royal's website as it appears they are recommending this third party provider or can you go to emed website and order yourself.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Does anyone know if this type of test has an expiration date?

Yes it does. The fda recently approved an extension of the expiration date so the corrent stock being shipped can have three months added to it.  One they ramp up production the expiration dates will be accurate until of course the fda decides to give them another extension.  🙂

• Like 1

If it involves technology, I’m out. My husband and I both are technology illiterate. Anytime something involves computer, video etc, no matter how “easy” someone says it is, we are not successful.I’m sure there is other elderly travelers that feel the same way.
We we’re looking forward to the cruise but we don’t feel comfortable with Walgreens getting results back to us in time, two days is not enough time in case Walgreens doesn’t come through. I’m telling my husband today that I’m not willing to go through the stress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Cat said:

If it involves technology, I’m out. My husband and I both are technology illiterate. Anytime something involves computer, video etc, no matter how “easy” someone says it is, we are not successful.I’m sure there is other elderly travelers that feel the same way.
We we’re looking forward to the cruise but we don’t feel comfortable with Walgreens getting results back to us in time, two days is not enough time in case Walgreens doesn’t come through. I’m telling my husband today that I’m not willing to go through the stress.

I'm with you on this one.  I have been reading all the threads on the at home kits expiration dates who can use them etc and it sounds pretty much above my pay grade.  I was lucky to have my health care provider do mine last month.  Don't know if there is a limit as to how many times I can go there but I have a cruise every month from now thru January.  Might have to lighten my load

I'm so confused.  Getting ready to order Binax Now kits but it say they're AG isn't that antigen?

I thought RC was only accepting PCR tests now.
Bottom line, is Binax Now AG test acceptable and what does an unvaccinated child need? 

I just ordered 4 - 2packs of Binax Now home tests to pick up at Walgreens.
Each pack was 23.99 and they're FSA refundable.
What a shame RC can't find a way to update their website with accurate up to the minute information and we have to look elsewhere for it.
Thank goodness for CC especially in these situations.

Edited by webecruzin2
addition to info

16 hours ago, revamp said:

Any advice appreciated.

New rules after September 13, 2021 shows 48 hours. Irritating

1 hour ago, Ocean Cat said:

I find it funny u say you are Technology illiterate, yet you are typing on this site and responding. That’s all the knowledge you need to take a test on your phone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Cat said:

Review this video before you pull out of cruising, please?