Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

21 minutes ago, pasta1 said:

What would you say is the percentage of guests wearing masks indoors and thank you for all your detailed information and photos, they are great. We will be joining the next cruise on the 17th. Tim and Malou. Will be 5th time on the Equinox!

Just noticed you are from NJ. Us too!
We wore masks indoors.....We felt comfortable and safer with masks. Others may have felt different. And I say, do what you feel Ok with.

My observation was that more people were wearing it on the Equinox in August than I noticed on the Edge in July.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for taking us on your trip with you!  My sister and I were able to sail on the Edge this past July, and it was fabulous to get back on board again.

Adding to your book recommendations - Greg Isles, a writer from Natchez, MS.  His books are fabulous.  There are some stand alone books, as well as the Penn Cage series.

Edited by missmom

On 9/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, canderson said:

I've heard that the UK Staycation cruises have been offering the use of an electric kettle (!) to cabins making that request so as to make hot water for tea.  Was pondering whether that would be even remotely possible on Constellation such that I could bring my own brew along.  I'm fussy about my coffee, and neither bitter nor acidic cut it.

What is your coffee of choice?

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think you really summarized the lack of class structure very well.  

We don't have a lot of experience in regulars cabins.    The only time was on our first cruise on Millennium in 2000.   At that time we stayed in what was called an A1.    They were the cabins on the cabin floor beneath the deck with the pool and buffet that have the large overhead decking. 

At the time A1's were undesirable because the lack of sun.    Marketing to the rescue.     They rebranded them Concierge Class, raised the price and they became desirable.   Also at the time Michael's club was a Cigar Bar.    Suite passengers paid much more for our rooms and basically had no perks.  

Back in those days Suites got NOTHING and got screwed on CC points.    At the time you got 1 point for a 7 day regular cabin and 2 points for a Suite.    The conversion was really bad and we would have hit Zenith far earlier had we gotten the Suite new points.     

Originally Michael's club was also limited to only Celebrity Suite and above and Sky Suites were excluded.    There was a loud outcry when those "Lesser Suites" were given access. 

We each spend our money differently and since we could only cruise once a year while we were working preferred the Suite Life.    While many have to have a new car yearly we are not into cars and drive a 15 y.o. Saab and plan on driving it until it dies.   With 200,000 miles not sure if that will happen any time soon.   

We also have already put our kids through university and don't have Tuition Payments like many people.     Just think how much discretionary income you might have if you didnt have a car payment or tuition payments.   

We never had kids, by choice, so no college bills.  Paid off 2 mortgages early and all of our cars early while still saving for retirement.  With our income we choose to sail in RS or PH but only once a year typically, again our choice. Our 1st cruise was 1997 on Zenith all the way forward with a port hole.  Still took a few more cruises to get to a balcony because there were not many balconies on Zenith. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

Thanks; any additional info on this would be much appreciated.

I just found out this morning that last Thursday I was exposed (for like 2 hours!) to someone who just tested positive for COVID yesterday. No symptoms for me, but I’m so paranoid with the cruise coming up I may see if I can get an unproctored home test today just to calm my mind.

We sail on 9/26 and because of this we have pretty much been isolating for the last few weeks. Still going to grocery store and running our necessary errands with masks but no socializing, dinners out, etc. This will be the process we follow until we take our pre cruise test on the 24th. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe it may just not be listed in the daily.    I know that nightly when we go to the Retreat around 7:30 that they have live music at Ensemble Lounge -  Last night a female vocalist that reminded me of Enya.   

Just looked in today's daily --- Bottom Right Corner they have all listed.

B86E1D6F-5B2E-47D4-A7D2-82B935AE96FE.thumb.jpeg.d6af91e6f737f4fac59b1d5386396196.jpeg

Really miss the pianos in the lounges especially Jordan Peterson.  He was by far one of the best lounge entertainers on Celebrity for a few years.

• Like 2

We were on the Equinox the first two weeks in August, also. Jim, your picture of the tree turned out much better than mine… 😁.

We really enjoyed Eddy Jenkins, the cruise director, snd his team. One evening the put on a skit in Celebrity Central called “Cruise Line Is It”, a take off on “Whose Line Is It”. We thought it was hilarious, and enjoyed it as much as any of the shows. 

I saw some posts about wine, and one we really enjoyed was Mer Soleil, a Chardonnay. Sometimes it was hard to find (we were in an SV first week and Aqua second week), but sommeliers would usually find it for us. 

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Just noticed you are from NJ. Us too!
We wore masks indoors.....We felt comfortable and safer with masks. Others may have felt different. And I say, do what you feel Ok with.

My observation was that more people were wearing it on the Equinox in August than I noticed on the Edge in July.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are from Sussex County. Thank you for your observation!

2 hours ago, dgoz said:

What is your coffee of choice?

I blend 70% Silver Canyon (local Colorado outfit) French Roast with 30% Dutch Chocolate blend (a medium roast) for morning, then straight French Roast for later in the day.  On a hot summer day, I might brew it extra strong and ice it.

I got turned onto iced coffee back in the early 90's in Japan before it was a 'thing' here.  When they rolled up the tea cart to my desk one afternoon, suddenly there was a choice of hot green tea or iced coffee.  The coffee was surprisingly popular, but unlike others, I didn't add the liquid sugar and cream.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I go to Al Bacio often.    I like the one at OceanView as there is no lines and most don't even know it exist.   In the afternoon there is often 2-4 people in line to get pastries from the main one.   Still no wait longer than 3-5 minutes.   

Al bacio in buffet?

Where??

3 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

I wonder if they will give it back post cruise so that I can take it with me.

@SHIP TRAVELER I'm guessing if discovered you would retrieve it from the naughty room at the end of the cruise.  Put it in your carry on not the checked baggage so your bags are not delayed in arriving in your cabin.

I just reviewed the prohibited items since I have not looked at that in awhile.   What items are prohibited onboard a Celebrity Cruises cruise ship?

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not true at all.    All of the passengers are having a great time.   Last night they had an ABA sing along in main foyer and dancing.    People are saying the shows have been good.   We just don't do shows anymore.   

The class structure really doesn't exist as much as people make it appear.     We socialize with many in standard cabins, we just happen to be in a suite.    

Last night we met Scott (I'll have look up his CC Name).     He was in  a Concierge Cabin and got upgraded to a Royal.    Really nice guy.   I'm happy he stopped us at Al Bacio to introduce himself.   

It was great meeting the both of you last night as well.  Now, we will probably run into each other every few hours now.  LOL

DA62751E-D151-4E0D-882B-1706B7D95D9D.thumb.jpeg.a2a44c2381f9f1140abe60992c852a7f.jpegAs we are waiting for our food in Sushi, here are a few pictures.

Had one other couple in Sushi but nobody else now.  Bacio and Martini Bar seem to be the busier places.  At Bacio, can still find a seat, if desired, and not long of waits for coffee or treats.

Sophia had the Kobe slider as advertised, I had mine “plain”.

860AFB36-E4B8-4C07-9F1F-F30E9BE33DC0.jpeg

E72169F6-B214-42FC-B0AF-3668F7DF944A.jpeg

FACBEF33-A016-4408-A89F-E0198AAEE796.jpeg

• Like 4

My understanding, and I could be wrong is they suspending fixed seating on our cruise and gave everyone anytime dining.   I've really not seen much in the way of crowding anywhere, but we are late diners.

On first night in Muranos they said first seating was early but when we came at 8:30 everyone almost left immediately.     There were only 2 tables for the rest of the night. 

What they did in early August was bring lots of anytime guests down from upstairs and packed our waiters station !!!!

Back in those days Suites got NOTHING and got screwed on CC points.    At the time you got 1 point for a 7 day regular cabin and 2 points for a Suite.    The conversion was really bad and we would have hit Zenith far earlier had we gotten the Suite new points.    

Back in the day Concierge also got 2 credits per cruise. Living in Florida my daughter and I went on many 4/5 night cruises on the Century at the Tuesday special price of about $1000 per cabin (total). Back then could make Zenith for $25,000 !!! Had 177 credits at the conversion (almost 2X Zenith), Arno (who lives in Canada) did the same and had over 200 credits at the conversion !!! Worked great for the short cruises !!!

• Like 2

Originally Michael's club was also limited to only Celebrity Suite and above and Sky Suites were excluded.    There was a loud outcry when those "Lesser Suites" were given access.

You forgot to mention that originally Zeniths were given access to Michael's but not Sky Suites.

Now Sky Suites have access but Zenith's not.

Last week there were only two Zenith guests onboard Equinox.

Don't really think an extra two guests would affect a lounge for the hundreds of suite guests.

12 minutes ago, 39august said:

Scott, thanks for the pics. And I assume the Day 4 Sushi on Five menu you posted was on a port day. That is great news as we have no plans to go ashore at any port unless we can go on our own in St. Lucia. 

This was a port day in St Croix.  We were able to go on our own today, but not much open.  I personally am for mask wearing (but to each their own), but wearing the mask both inside and out made it even hotter and muggier.  All good, as we just wanted to wander around.

26 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Back in the day Concierge also got 2 credits per cruise. Living in Florida my daughter and I went on many 4/5 night cruises on the Century at the Tuesday special price of about $1000 per cabin (total). Back then could make Zenith for $25,000 !!! Had 177 credits at the conversion (almost 2X Zenith), Arno (who lives in Canada) did the same and had over 200 credits at the conversion !!! Worked great for the short cruises !!!

Ha,

Too bad I started cruising late in 2009.

I been telling myself I will be bored and never thought I am hooked now.

• Haha 1