Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Islandhop9 said:

Is the helipad area ever open to commoners or is it VIP only? 

In know it is accessible on some of the RC ships. 

Usually it's by invitation - I've been there as concierge, elite, and suite.  I don't know if there's a way to request it.  I can't see that it would just be open to everyone because it's not that big.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Mine's an ES300.  I actually bought it and drove it in Minnesota for many years.  Was truly amazed that it did not rust.  My previous two Toyota Camrys rusted around the wheel wells at about 9 years each in Minnesota.

Our winters can be tough on vehicles. I used to have a car that when you turned a corner the side panels would flap in the breeze and slush would come through the floor panels.

Jim, at the risk of overloading your TBR list, I don't think anyone has mentioned the Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger.

I agree with your comment that port changes in the Caribbean don't matter.  It's just nice to be onboard and being pampered and being at sea.  Someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning.  What's not to like about that?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

I think the Library is beautiful! I’m sad that many new//revamped ships seem to do away with this space.

Also glad that there is a card/games room; its sort of old-fashioned cruising, but I am sort of old-fashioned!

I agree and appreciate the photos Jim posted of these areas.

On EDGE there  was NO library..they used a vending cart  set up  near the entrance to EDEN..put out some magazines and paperbacks to share.  But I did get an EDGE art book freebie there!   Just not the same as having a library area on board. On the older ships, they had great big map and chart books..fun to go through!

In addition,  lack of a card or game room on EDGE is a definite negative...card players set up at the few  lunch tables in EDEN or in Cafe Baccio all day...They really need to find a suitable space...

Cruisers still enjoy libraries and cards/ games. Glad they are still on the older style ships

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Our winters can be tough on vehicles. I used to have a car that when you turned a corner the side panels would flap in the breeze and slush would come through the floor panels.

Mike you have me laughing.   I had an old car and if I hit a puddle water would fly up inside. 

We rarely even get frost so we don’t have that problem.   The worst we have is the hot sun does a job on some gel coated paints. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jim, at the risk of overloading your TBR list, I don't think anyone has mentioned the Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger.

I agree with your comment that port changes in the Caribbean don't matter.  It's just nice to be onboard and being pampered and being at sea.  Someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning.  What's not to like about that?

We have agreed we are getting a house cleaner when we get home, but have to clean the house first.   

thanks for recommendations 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

I agree and appreciate the photos Jim posted of these areas.

On EDGE there  was NO library..they used a vending cart  set up  near the entrance to EDEN..put out some magazines and paperbacks to share.  But I did get an EDGE art book freebie there!   Just not the same as having a library area on board.

You are right.  That cart was an afterthought and a failure in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, runnerandme said:

Jim , Your photos are great ! Love the shot of Carlos ( my husband says he is the best Bloody Mary maker ever !) at Cafe Al Bacio !

Carlos is such a clown and an enjoyment.   He photo bombed the picturre and I liked it better than the one I had framed    I usually have my coffee down on 5 mid day and grab one (ok 2) of those Lemon Tarts.   Yummy

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard&JohnSTX said:

Thanks so much Jim,

It was an honor to show you and Iain around St Croix.

Thanks so much for your detailed reviews, it helps so many CC members in their future planning!

Richard

Richard, I see you live in Lakewood Ranch.  We are in Keswick neighborhood.  Where are you?  We have never sailed on Celebrity, but getting very excited about our Dec 10th Equinox sailing thanks to all the photos and descriptions.

Rod

Let the Cap Club host/ess know you are interested and they may include you,

It is fun once or twice..can be very sunny out there!

• Like 1

I've been invited on every cruise for the past five years either as concierge class or Elite+.  I can't go on Caribbean cruises, however, because I don't take closed-toe shoes.  My Florida feet only suffer closed shoes to visit northern relatives over Christmas or take northern TAs (my toes need to be free).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 39august said:

The other port is Havensite, a much nicer shopping area and closer to downtown with a gorgeous bay view. RCI (thus also Celebrity) signed a 10 year contract with Crown Bay in 2116 or 2017. So this will be the port for a while. 

Havensite is much more fun for shopping, drinks, lunches, pharmacy needs etc. We did not enjoy Crown Bay ( limited shops or food)  or the  winding " speedy"  taxi ride to and from the main area but X and Royal are there for quite awhile.

Apparently,   there is a  ferry from Crown Bay to a beach area  nearby ( maybe Water island?) with a tavern..but never took it.  Maybe someone else knows, memory unclear???

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Usually it's by invitation - I've been there as concierge, elite, and suite.  I don't know if there's a way to request it.  I can't see that it would just be open to everyone because it's not that big.

We were invited when arriving in Venice on the equinox 7 years ago, but not invited this time, even in RS with Elite status.  Luck of the draw.

• Like 1

I have been invited to the "helipad" for sail away (or sail in) when I sailed in Concierge cabins, or as an Elite level member of Captain's Club, or when I sailed in a suite. None of these "statuses" guarantee invitations because these events are subject to many things, including weather.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I've been invited on every cruise for the past five years either as concierge class or Elite+.  I can't go on Caribbean cruises, however, because I don't take closed-toe shoes.  My Florida feet only suffer closed shoes to visit northern relatives over Christmas or take northern TAs (my toes need to be free).

Have you tried amphibious sandals? I've been allowed up there many times in my Ahnus, which have closed toes and back straps. They're great because I can adjust several straps for hotter or cooler weather. Keens are another popular brand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

I'm assuming that pier was full today thus we docked at the 'babe' pier

The reason that you are docked at Crown Bay along with the Allure is because of the Royal Caribbean Group's contract with the port authority and has nothing to do with a lack of space at Havensight. In fact, there are no ships scheduled today for the West India Company dock, aka Havensight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Havensite is much more fun for shopping, drinks, lunches, pharmacy needs etc. We did not enjoy Crown Bay ( limited shops or food)  or the  winding " speedy"  taxi ride to and from the main area but X and Royal are there for quite awhile.

Apparently,   there is a  ferry from Crown Bay to a beach area  nearby ( maybe Water island?) with a tavern..but never took it.  Maybe someone else knows, memory unclear???

We have taken the water taxi over to Water Island three times and will do it again.  There's a van that goes to a beach bar with seating and umbrellas.  Good food and drinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option for making free phone calls without huge surprises is to use FaceTime either with  or without Video     

Another option is an app called WhatApp.    It can be used for both messaging and to make calls.  Very popular in South America 

• Like 2

D2C53869-CC92-4CC0-8206-CC7ACADE4F20.thumb.jpeg.450a565b277c8663af0d8c58b44c8706.jpeg

Sailaway from the Helipad was nice but it was REALLY HOT and humid up there and a large number of guests left before we set sail.   

Here's a picture including the Crew exercise and outdoor bar. 

Wanda greeting us. 

A5334CBF-42E6-4D58-905D-581EDA159253.thumb.jpeg.f509bc34484a68c3e2b04088af08bcc3.jpeg

9FC30549-5E69-4528-8917-884B77351B67.thumb.jpeg.0bab7652e196ecf42d2c025e79e9d0ad.jpeg

D7DE7068-F7E9-49E6-AF6C-EA0769860C3B.thumb.jpeg.5063339b653951bc12d88da2ee80871b.jpeg

B6674038-D27C-4998-B8AA-1C08F2579930.thumb.jpeg.3661ba2b0a3145e3a16f07121bb1ed3d.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:
3 hours ago, 39august said:

RCI (thus also Celebrity) signed a 10 year contract with Crown Bay in 2116 or 2017. So this will be the port for a while. 

I'm assuming that pier was full today thus we docked at the 'babe' pier

fstuff1, are you saying that the Babe pier is different from Crown Bay?