9/5 Glory Cancelled

pogoism9

It would be a tight fit (ship). Triumph docked in Mobile, but was slightly smaller than the Conquest line of ships. Also, Mobile does not have the parking facilities (cars) for two ships if the Sensation sails in October.

6 minutes ago, timbom said:

River traffic is back to normal.  Problem is no power. 

Can't believe power will not be back up by next week.  Am certain come next week ship will be sailing.

The ship will be sailing but I doubt from the Port of New Orleans. Extreme infrastructure damage that occurred doesn't just magically get fixed in a week. Its not just the power, its water and sewer also that are impacted.  The locals are having difficulties finding gasoline to run generators and stocked groceries are scarce.  I am not sure within a week Carnival could find enough provisions and guarantee their delivery on time given the overall conditions. Add to it that the nearest available hotels are hundreds of miles away if your lucky to accommodate passengers coming into town to cruise.   

55 minutes ago, timbom said:

Can't believe power will not be back up by next week.  Am certain come next week ship will be sailing.

Then you never lived through a major hurricane and its aftermath.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, timbom said:

Ummm...what??  🤐🤦‍♀️ SMH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timbom said:

A category 4 hurricane made landfall in South Louisiana. Hundreds of thousands of people are without electricity and running water.  People can't get gasoline.  Infrastructure is decimated.  A small number of flights to New Orleans *may* resume Thursday.  And now cruisers are going to start coming to area?

The limited resources available are needed to support affected Louisiana residents, not to support the restart of cruising.  The state of Louisiana is not going to allow resources to be diverted from suffering residents so that Carnival can restart.

• Like 3

Power is expected to be out for a month. Even if they brought generators to the port, they would most likely not have internet to be able to perform embarkation. I expect all sailings out of NOLA to be canceled for September. Carnival could move the ships to Galveston possibly but that is no small feat for those traveling to adjust driving and air travel. 

18 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'd be surprised if cruises out of New Orleans happen in the next 2 or 3 months.  It sucks, but there are obviously more important priorities for them to deal with right now.

I wouldn't be that pessimistic.  Once they get power back the cruising will resume. The French Quarter didn't take much damage form the storm and they need the revenue.

25 minutes ago, gtalum said:

They're working to reroute power from a plant in New orleans.  They got power back on in parts of the FQ and the CBD already:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-french-quarter-lights-ida/37459073

They really don't want to have to move the Saints game on the 12th.

I guess you are little behind the times here. They have already moved the Saints/Packers game to Jacksonville. 

Its also not just about having power turned on. It is about safety getting passengers to the ship from where ever they are coming in from. NOLA is not a safe place right now and won't be for weeks. Yes, there was not as much damage there. However, there is enough of a safety issue to delay cruising from NOLA for a month at least.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

On 9/1/2021 at 8:23 PM, timbom said:

15 hours ago, gtalum said:

I wouldn't be that pessimistic.  Once they get power back the cruising will resume. The French Quarter didn't take much damage form the storm and they need the revenue.

15 hours ago, gtalum said:

They're working to reroute power from a plant in New orleans.  They got power back on in parts of the FQ and the CBD already:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-french-quarter-lights-ida/37459073

They really don't want to have to move the Saints game on the 12th.

This is a map of electric outages as of Thursday night.  The dark color covering southeast Louisiana is over 85% of customers without electricity, 4 days after Ida made landfall.

If you think this disaster area is going to be ready to host cruisers, Saints fans, and tourists next week, I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Capture.JPG

I'm currently scheduled to sail on the Glory on Sept 12th. As of this writing, midnight PDT Sept 7th, I have not been notified of cancellations from Carnival, Marriott (hotel near the port), or United Airlines.

I'm optomistic that she'll sail on the 12th.

10 hours ago, GaryAha said:

I'm currently scheduled to sail on the Glory on Sept 12th. As of this writing, midnight PDT Sept 7th, I have not been notified of cancellations from Carnival, Marriott (hotel near the port), or United Airlines.

I'm optomistic that she'll sail on the 12th.

Nope. Cancelled today.