The Daily for Thursday September 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is VJ Day WWII, World Coconut Day, and Calendar Adjustment Day

"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware. - Henry Miller"

Meal suggestion for today - Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pomegranate and Tahini

Drink of the Day - Long Island Iced Tea

Wine of the day - Paltrinieri 2019 Radice (Lambrusco di Sorbara) Central Italy

Destination of the Day - Iraklion (Crete) Greece

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Aegean Sea
Eurodam Destination Santorini GR eta 9/3

Ketchikan, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Adriatic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Ionian Sea
Volendam Destination Corfu GR eta 9/3

At Sea North Sea
Oosterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/3

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Ensendada MX eta 9/3

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Zuiderdam

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Amchorage

0902Europe.thumb.png.9e041562744b870e640404b65c573e44.png

0902NAmerica.thumb.png.00fd8eeb50db55471c21dfa3b85f374a.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We must remember VJ Day.   My DH loves coconut.  Calendar adjustment day?  Time passes too quickly, I don't think I could handle waking up one morning and it's 11 days later than I thought.

The meal sounds interesting, but it sounds like a side dish, not a meal for those of us who love meat.

The drink of the day sounds great.  Hope the wine is good too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Japan’s surrender in WWII was certainly a cause for celebration as it ended that war.  I would love a slice of homemade coconut cream pie. Interesting day calendar adjustment day is.  The quote is interesting as well.  The meal suggestion sounds good as does the drink.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone with a celebration today!

• Like 25

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Special salute to VJ Day.  Not a big coconut fan.  Calendar adjustment day is an interesting historical footnote.  I love the Miller quote.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  Never been to Crete.

Today’s care list:

RIP Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
Those left behind in Afghanistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but showing improvement
Very distressing PT session for Tana
Crabbi Patti in Quarantine
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
2 Days for Atexsix, dobiemom, and Lafnvegas
Happy Anniversary Cruising Along
Good school Start for Cruising-along’s grandsons
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Brenda feeling better
msmayor anticipating a March grandchild
cat shepard’s dishwasher fixable
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  VJ day must be remembered, love coconut, and I'm glad we don't do the adjustment anymore.  Would confuse me.  Interesting Miller quote.  Not sure what the meal is, will wait for Debbie's description, but it doesn't sound good to me.

Have not been to Greece, waiting for the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to us all.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Long Island Iced Tea:

A Long Island iced tea is a type of alcoholic mixed drink typically made with vodka, tequila, light rum, triple sec, gin, and a splash of cola, which gives the drink the same amber hue as iced tea. A popular version mixes equal parts vodka, tequila, gin, rum, triple sec, with 1+1⁄2 parts sour mix and a splash of cola. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz Gomme Syrup, 1 oz Lemon juice, 1/2 oz Gin, MORE
Preparation: Add all ingredients into highball glass filled with ice. Stir gently. Garnish with lemon spiral. Serve with straw.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon spiral
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.05.00 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon it is 60°F and partly cloudy here now.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and care reports and celebrations Roy.

VJ day was certainly a day to remember and celebrate.

Coconut is nice plus I always try and buy Coconut shower gel as it has a lovely smell.

Until 5 minutes ago I hadn't heard of Calendar Adjustment day.

Nice drink today but not sure of the food.

We visited Heraklion Crete on Navigator of the seas in May 2013.

I hope everyone is safe from hurricane Ida and all the floods I saw on our news this morning.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210902_120030.jpg

Screenshot_20210902_115934.jpg

Screenshot_20210902_120535.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Calendar Adjustment Day was stressful at the time for many people as they lost 11 days when Britain & the colonies switched to the Gregorian calendar.  People went to bed on Sept. 2nd and when they woke up it was Sept. 14th.

Love that quote by Henry MIller.

The meal suggestion of the day sounds good but there is no cauliflower in the house.  Not going out in this downpour to buy some 😉  Warnings on flash floods here so I’ll stick to home.  I feel for New York and North East U.S. which has so much flooding right now from Ida’s rain. 😔 

A sure sign that fall is coming - flowers changing colours - white to pink

D6B626E7-6106-46D6-91A3-62C20F5BAF98.thumb.jpeg.df03e817a7e5214a2ceb30ee3cf7f896.jpeg

This hydrangea is going from blue to pink and then purple.  

448ABFE3-036B-42F6-A2FC-636A8ACFD8F3.thumb.jpeg.334ec5f5674568f714496d407e349852.jpeg

Crete is always a nice stop on a cruise.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!

9B50F23F-D4DB-4E95-AF9E-CF264A8BF208.jpeg.6364769b9592cec1394ab6cc9a7cd37d.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 29
  • Haha 13

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon it is 60°F and partly cloudy here now.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and care reports and celebrations Roy.

VJ day was certainly a day to remember and celebrate.

Coconut is nice plus I always try and buy Coconut shower gel as it has a lovely smell.

Until 5 minutes ago I hadn't heard of Calendar Adjustment day.

Nice drink today but not sure of the food.

We visited Heraklion Crete on Navigator of the seas in May 2013.

I hope everyone is safe from hurricane Ida and all the floods I saw on our news this morning.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210902_120030.jpg

Screenshot_20210902_115934.jpg

Screenshot_20210902_120535.jpg

• Like 2

Good Morning New Friends, I looked in to calendar adjustment day, and since I procrastinate so much anyway, those 14 days would put me back even further, but it is early so I get confused easily…..😂

Isn’t it grand that the Rotterdam VII is sailing out of Italy?  We will be on her 11/10, for 11 days!  😃

Roy…your posting to the CARE group is so meaningful now to me, since I’m following the daily..daily!  We are in this life together and not knowing people yet seeing names and issues means we can indeed care and pray.  Thank you Kind Sir!  Maybe I will get to meet some you on a cruise sometime, that would be swell!

Stay safe and as my Daddy used to say…he had two:  ‘Keep your powder dry’……and…..’Keep it in the road’.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CM1984 said:

Good Morning New Friends, I looked in to calendar adjustment day, and since I procrastinate so much anyway, those 14 days would put me back even further, but it is early so I get confused easily…..😂

Isn’t it grand that the Rotterdam VII is sailing out of Italy?  We will be on her 11/10, for 11 days!  😃

Roy…your posting to the CARE group is so meaningful now to me, since I’m following the daily..daily!  We are in this life together and not knowing people yet seeing names and issues means we can indeed care and pray.  Thank you Kind Sir!  Maybe I will get to meet some you on a cruise sometime, that would be swell!

Stay safe and as my Daddy used to say…he had two:  ‘Keep your powder dry’……and…..’Keep it in the road’.

Welcome CM1984.

There are some nice threads on CC but every single person on this thread is wonderful,caring and very helpful and you made a great choice to check in.

Take care.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is another chilly start here in northeast Ohio, but the sun is shining brightly, so the day holds promise.  I've got nothing planned for today except perhaps a dash to the grocery store to get some fresh veggies.  I am trying to maintain a low profile and not risk exposure in the time leading up to my COVID test for our cruise.   

I found a couple versions of today's meal.   This one looks rather festive and would be a great dish to have on a holiday table.   https://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflowr-with-pomegranate-tahini-sauce-recipe/

whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-pomegranate-tahini-sauce-and-raisins-hazelnuts_89-web-2.thumb.jpg.8847b1f6dbd7885fdf668b17fa5311a5.jpg

Prayers for those affected by Ida.  I'm glad all of our Dailyites were spared in yesterday's tornadoes.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  VJ Day is important to remember.  I enjoy coconut in most of its forms, coconut coffee tends to taste burnt to me. It has been awhile since I had a Long Island Ice Tea, they taste good but go down way too easily.

From news reporting Ida gave us 2.3 inches of rain since midnight.  The heavy rain did wake me up.  It has stopped here but is still raining elsewhere in New England.  My DS, who lives near Philadelphia, is experiencing flooded roads and has been told to work at home today.  @kazuwhen Ida comes your way I hope it isn’t too bad.

I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 21

32 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report! I am taking a long holiday weekend, so I won't be here until Tuesday. I hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday weekend!!! 

Have a great long holiday weekend 🙂 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@Quartzsite CruiserHappy Anniversary!

Thank you for the anniversary wishes.

28 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

Welcome to the Daily.  I think you will find us the friendliest, most supportive place on CC.

Lenda

• Like 18

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! VJ Day is an important date to always remember. Thank you @grapau27for explaining Calendar Adjustment Day! 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!
Hello @billfishwelcome to the Daily!
@CrabbyPattipraying all is well. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy 54th Anniversary. Now that is “sticking

power “!

It is a lovely morning here. Another Fall teaser. Today is back to the doc day. Hoping I lose two pounds as quickly as the British and their colonies lost 11 days. Would love to lose the brace and start therapy. I have a tiny bit left in my file project. Should finish up today. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Paltrinieri 2019 Radice (Lambrusco di Sorbara)Central Italy

Not a huge Lambrusco fan, but this superbly rated sparkling wine deserves further investigation.  Several online distributors with prices starting at $19.99.

Winemaker Notes

#21 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

The Radice Lambrusco di Sorbara is a salmon pink colorwith very fine and persistent perlage. Notes of raspberry and grapefruit on the nose with freshness and marked acidity on the palate.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast: Made by carrying out the second fermentation in the bottle, this radiant, lightly sparkling wine opens with heady aromas of citrus, violet and a yeasty whiff of bread dough. Bone-dry and delicious, the energized palate delivers tart sour cherry, juicy pomegranate, pink grapefruit and white pepper alongside crisp acidity and a savory hint of saline. One bottle probably won’t be enough. Editors' Choice.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. VJ Day deserves to be remembered as it finally ended the horrors of WWII. When the calendar wa ajusted, we were mostly an agrarian society. I can't imagine the chaos such an ajustment would cause if it were to occur today.

The flooding in the NE is terrible. I grew up in NE New Jersey and seeing all the flooding there hits hard.

Stay safe everyone.

Jim

• Like 19