Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

I thought I had this all figured out and ordered the tests from emed so we could take them 3 days before the cruise and fly on the 2nd day before. Now that we need to take the test 2 days before do we get up at 4:00 am before our flight and take the test before we leave at 5:00 am? Or take the tests with us (carry-on or checked luggage??) and take the test at the hotel 1 day before the cruise?  

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

What is confusing? It is in extremely plain, easy to understand, black and white on the website 

I have no trouble understanding. Agree it's clear. ..though I'm sure people who dont like it hope they are confused and calling. Some just like to complain. 

Once the cdc came out with its "recommendations " it was a matter of time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

I thought I had this all figured out and ordered the tests from emed so we could take them 3 days before the cruise and fly on the 2nd day before. Now that we need to take the test 2 days before do we get up at 4:00 am before our flight and take the test before we leave at 5:00 am? Or take the tests with us (carry-on or checked luggage??) and take the test at the hotel 1 day before the cruise?  

You can do either, as long as you take the test within two days of embarkation.  If you can, it might be a good idea to take the test before your flight.  If you test positive, it's better to know before you fly.  Otherwise you might need to quarantine at the port city before you fly back home.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomjohnsonjr said:

Age 2-11 will be PCR tested again at the pier paid for by Royal. If they test positive they can’t sail. Remember that age group is unvaccinated and it’s for everyone protection. 

I know. We were on the 8/15 Allure and the grandkids were tested at the pier. Took about 40 minutes to get the results. Having experienced that, Royal will never be able to test everyone at the pier and  increase capacity. They set up a make-shift waiting area in the luggage area at PC, if they had to test everyone they would probably need a more "permanent" setup.

mac_tlc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just ordered a 6-pk from emed.  There are 3 of us travelling in September and November, so the 6-pk made sense for us.  We were concerned about getting the test results locally in 3 days, 2 days is very unlikely.  Schools locally in Western NY have just sent out requirements for weekly tests for all unvaccinated staff, so I expect the local services to be swamped.  Vaccinated folks do not need to be tested.  Except on cruise ships!

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

No you missed my point, Not talking about testing positive I am talking about a cancelled test within the 48 hour window while the request for an FCC is prior to the 48 hour window.  folks are still using CVS or Walgreens or Urgent care.

If I sail on Friday and have to now test on Wed but the rules say request for FCC on Tues for any reason no longer works.  Requesting an FCC on Wed due to testing positive is only reason then.  The defined ANY reason ended at 11:59pm on TUES.  

RCI moved the testing up on day but left the window for requesting FCC alone.

Seriously, why stress it.  Spend the money on the at home proctored tests that the recommend.  It is not hard at all and not sure why people are stressing.  Where there is a will there is a way.  

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, mac_tlc said:

Tomorrow, I’ll be setting up my appointment at CVS  for 9/17 for our 9/19 Oasis cruise. May order the home test for our October and January cruise as we will be in FL for those and it’s much much tougher to schedule a test there. 

mac_tlc

We set ours up for 9/17 as well. Fingers crossed they have the rapid ones available by then. See you on board 

• Like 1

With the reduced capacity that Royal is sailing, I don't see why they cannot set up on day of sailing testing for everyone.

They provided it for us  on our June sailings on the Adventure. It was not difficult to get the test, then wait the required time for results, then sign in.  There were actually only about 6 persons there needed to give the test.  But it was all very efficient.

And for heavens sake if Carnival can do it, why not Royal!

Edited by gadaboutgal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nonnie&dgd said:

I hope I’m reading this correctly. Under 12 can take a NAAT test 3 days before cruise? Is NAAT a rapid PCR test?

Yes they can use the NAAT test.  Yes it's a rapid test but it facility is overwhelmed will it be rapid enough. 

Edited by mauraoel

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

I know. We were on the 8/15 Allure and the grandkids were tested at the pier. Took about 40 minutes to get the results. Having experienced that, Royal will never be able to test everyone at the pier and  increase capacity. They set up a make-shift waiting area in the luggage area at PC, if they had to test everyone they would probably need a more "permanent" setup.

mac_tlc

So maybe the grandkids should not cruise until there able to get vaccinated. The back log is due to the unvaccinated. The 40 minutes to get the results maybe keeping a lot of people safe and the cruise 🚢 lines In business. In my area they have been closing the schools completely down. 

• Like 1

The grandkids are cruising with us this coming weekend we just squeaked though and have enough home proctored test to do our whole gang.  The kids are healthy and I am not going to tell them we can't travel as a family just because there are a few hoops to jump through.  A good lesson to learn all good things come from hard work ie hoop jumping.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

No you missed my point, Not talking about testing positive I am talking about a cancelled test within the 48 hour window while the request for an FCC is prior to the 48 hour window.  folks are still using CVS or Walgreens or Urgent care.

If I sail on Friday and have to now test on Wed but the rules say request for FCC on Tues for any reason no longer works.  Requesting an FCC on Wed due to testing positive is only reason then.  The defined ANY reason ended at 11:59pm on TUES.  

RCI moved the testing up on day but left the window for requesting FCC alone.

If you test positive then you call royal send a copy of your positive result and you can get a full cash refund anytime prior to your cruise the 48 hr rule does not apply if you test positive.

8 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

The grandkids are cruising with us this coming weekend we just squeaked though and have enough home proctored test to do our whole gang.  The kids are healthy and I am not going to tell them we can't travel as a family just because there are a few hoops to jump through.  A good lesson to learn all good things come from hard work ie hoop jumping.

Yup, the new testing requirement goes in effect 9.13.  You just made it!  Have a great cruise

On 9/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, Sea Dog said:

They better offer some sort of testing at the pier.

I  would hate to test positive asymptomatic after flying across country to get to the cruise in San Pedro.  I need to be able to test at home I'll have to cancel or see about changing my flights. ugh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rondo said:

I'll be changing my flight or cancelling. No way am I taking the test in a hotel with spotty wifi and the chance of testing positive and being stuck across the country.

53 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Yes they can use the NAAT test.  Yes it's a rapid test but it facility is overwhelmed will it be rapid enough. 

we found out all we need to know by just going to the CDC web site, they have definitions of all the tests...and RCCL accepts all NAAT tests.  A NAAT test is  Nucleic Acid Amplification Test.

There are two different types of tests – diagnostic tests and antibody tests.  RCCL does not accept antibody tests.   Antibody tells you if you have had the disease and have its antibodies, the other tells you if you have the active disease at time of test.

Rapid diagnostic tests (RDT) detect the presence of viral proteins (antigens) expressed by the COVID-19 virus in a sample from the respiratory tract of a person.

If the target antigen is present in sufficient concentrations in the sample, it will bind to specific antibodies fixed to a paper strip enclosed in a plastic casing and generate a visually detectable signal, typically within 30 minutes.  Both Rapid test at CVS and Walgreen's are these NAAT Rapid Diagnotic Tests...so are the Abbott tests you buy online that are proctored.

That's the skinny.  It's really simpler to buy those and take the tests by iPhone or Android with the Navica App on facetime with the proctor and you can take it the morning of the cruise if you so desire...I would at least take it day before, you can do it at your hotel.  There have been many links to videos of people doing this test that takes no more than 30 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

It's something carnival is looking into, nothing near term. And it's not free. If royal said tomorrow everyone test at the port for $100 pp, there would still be complaints.

Other than  free testing at the port there are no solutions here everyone will like. Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I'll be changing my flight or cancelling. No way am I taking the test in a hotel with spotty wifi and the chance of testing positive and being stuck across the country.

That is a risk you take to cruise at this time in history, but keep in mind it might stay this way for quite some time.  It won't stop us from flying on Friday and we will have two test results...Walgreen's Rapid ID NOW and I will be packing our online proctored tests in case we need them on Saturday.  Then we'll be boarding Lady  Allure Sunday morning.  I hope all is well with you and you get to go on vacay somewhere at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

With the reduced capacity that Royal is sailing, I don't see why they cannot set up on day of sailing testing for everyone.

They provided it for us  on our June sailings on the Adventure. It was not difficult to get the test, then wait the required time for results, then sign in.  There were actually only about 6 persons there needed to give the test.  But it was all very efficient.

Your June sailing had FAR fewer passengers than anything currently sailing. 

Carnival is NOT doing it, they are “looking into it”

Testing for 2,000-3,000 is a logistical nightmare, not to mention the bad press you get when someone tests positive at check in, and the media gets wind that they were just on a cross country flight with a layover somewhere. It’s just a bad idea. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

That's the skinny.  It's really simpler to buy those and take the tests by iPhone or Android with the Navica App on facetime with the proctor and you can take it the morning of the cruise if you so desire...I would at least take it day before, you can do it at your hotel.  There have been many links to videos of people doing this test that takes no more than 30 minutes or so.

Thanks for the clear explanation!  I am looking at my App Store and I see several options:  Navica Medical, Navica Verifier, eMed medical, Abbott Analytics .....and the next one is Lowrance Fishing and Navigation, just for the amusement value.  Which one?