Thoughts on Carnival's Rapid Covid Testing at Terminal/Pier.

tomcatguy74

20 hours ago, mondello said:

Not saying required to fly domestically, just that need to test to meet the 72 hour requirement to board the ship. PITA to fit in testing and fly across the country.

It's not 72 hours. It's not even 48 hours, as the OP stated. It isn't measured in hours. It's 2 days before the cruise. So in theory, for a Saturday cruise departure you could get your test at or after 12:01 am Thursday.

11 hours ago, K_e_short said:

In regards to the concern about testing positive. No one is stopping you from getting a test before you leave for the port.

No one is stopping you, but the point is it's difficult. You want the negative test in hand before you board a plane and run the risk of being quarantined in Florida or wherever you cruise leaves from. If you are flying in a day early, like many (most?), that leaves one day where you have to get a test. And it has to be a rapid test, so you get the result before you fly.

That's not so easy to do.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

No one is stopping you, but the point is it's difficult. You want the negative test in hand before you board a plane and run the risk of being quarantined in Florida or wherever you cruise leaves from. If you are flying in a day early, like many (most?), that leaves one day where you have to get a test. And it has to be a rapid test, so you get the result before you fly.

That's not so easy to do.

Yep, that's the standard and only practical strategy now.  Any tighter and it becomes basically impossible before you fly.  That's certainly going to result in massive cancellations if they tighten further.  I know we'd pull the plug. I suspect most would. But I think the CDC and the cruise industry knows that.  Personally, I think this is as tight as it goes.  Time will tell.

For the Abbott Binax home proctored test, how many tests are required?
Do you need one or two test per person?
We are leaving October 2 on the Magic. There are only four of us going. If we buy one 6 pack of the tests, that would be one test per person and two remaining in case of false positives or test failures. 
Or do we need to get two tests per person?

@tomcatguy74There are more than one online vendors for these.  From what I read on CC, one vendor will sell a 6 pack for three people maximum but another vendor will sell in sets of 2 but at a slightly higher cost per test than the 6 pack. Here are the two I know of but I have heard people have gotten them elsewhere.  Check some of the other threads here on CC or just Google.  Have a great cruise!

eMed - Homepage

COVID-19 Test for Travel - Abbott BinaxNOW™ Ag At-Home Kit 2 Pack | Optum Store

Edited by oakridger

10 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Because covid has shown an ability to adapt and to morph into a more contagious virus that affects people the original covid didn't (young people).  You want to stop THE SPREAD because the more it spreads, the more chance it has to morph over and over.

Yes, you want to stop the spread, and the best way is to get everyone vaccinated. It is not by treating those who are vaccinated as if they are all Typhoid Marys.

And as I posted earlier, one of the ways discussed at the beginning of the pandemic was if it morphed into something more like the common cold. The common cold has easily spread for a long, long time, and yet we are not stopping the world or in a tremendous panic. The so called breakthrough cases seem to be often asymptomatic and are not the ones causing death or even hospitalization. Keep the stubborn unvaccinated away from the ships, and I don't see the problem with asymptomatic people who might have a mild case. That is what the vaccines were intended for, and that is what they are doing well by all account.

The Spanish flu ended, or at least became something not worrisome. But society seems to be making Covid into something that will be a worry until the end of time even if it is totally asymptomatic. JMHO.

10 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

You want to stop THE SPREAD because the more it spreads, the more chance it has to morph over and over.

the goal is to SLOW down the spread until more are vaccinated.  Stopping it is not possible with current vaccines.  What is not identified yet is when that point of crossover will be.  When will thinking turn to living with the virus on a daily basis from fearing the virus on a daily basis.  With Vaccinations it is now just one more virus added to the list that you can continue to get over and over.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

@tomcatguy74There are more than one online vendors for these.  From what I read on CC, one vendor will sell a 6 pack for three people maximum but another vendor will sell in sets of 2 but at a slightly higher cost per test than the 6 pack. Here are the two I know of but I have heard people have gotten them elsewhere.  Check some of the other threads here on CC or just Google.  Have a great cruise!

eMed - Homepage

These do absolutely nothing for me as I can readily get an antigen test here before i travel to the US and my Cruise and I need a PCR test to fly back to Canada.  How available it is and how long the results take to receive plays a big role in when i can book my return flights back to Canada.  At present its a 3 day window from time of disembarkation to currently advertised results time.

• Like 2

I for one think it is wonderful they will offer the test for a fee. Wish all cruise lines would offer this. The cost is nowhere near the stress of hoping the results come back in time. 

We cruised RCI 2 weeks ago. Did our tests at CVS with 24-72 hour turnaround. Test results came back in 46 hours. My husband, negative. Mine came back positive. Then they explained on website that positive results could show if swab was not placed far enough in your nose. Spent 2.5 hours to find a 8 hour turnaround site in Orlando. Found one for $250 and we drove down. (RCI said they only had testing available for children under age 12). Got the test, spent restless night in Orlando, negative results. If I knew there was a test available at port, I could have spent a lot of time not worrying, knowing the test was done properly. Carnival will not be making money with these tests, Just the testing company. Carnival is just giving you an option. I for one will pay and use this option. And this whole thing is the fault of CDC. Blame them.  Carnival just wants to keep operating, therefore, following the CDC guidelines. 

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

I for one think it is wonderful they will offer the test for a fee. Wish all cruise lines would offer this. The cost is nowhere near the stress of hoping the results come back in time. 

We cruised RCI 2 weeks ago. Did our tests at CVS with 24-72 hour turnaround. Test results came back in 46 hours. My husband, negative. Mine came back positive. Then they explained on website that positive results could show if swab was not placed far enough in your nose. Spent 2.5 hours to find a 8 hour turnaround site in Orlando. Found one for $250 and we drove down. (RCI said they only had testing available for children under age 12). Got the test, spent restless night in Orlando, negative results. 

do they not ask you at check in if you tested positive in the last 14 days? Literally everywhere I go asks that now.

As long as the Cruise Lines are prepared to "instantly" refund total Cruise Payments for those passengers that test Covid Positive at the Pier then I have no issue with this initiative?   

They would have already charged us for the Cruise adventure then you are going to charge me for your at Pier Rapid Testing? The "Profit" line has to be drawn somewhere as the "Safety" line is being enhanced.  

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

eMed - Homepage

Thank you for the great info. However my question was directed at whether each person is REQUIRED to take a minimum of one test or two in order to confirm the positive or negative result. Is one test enough if the result is positive? 

On 9/4/2021 at 8:29 AM, K_e_short said:

I think it is a great idea as it is a requirement to board and a good customer service offer.

Now with that said.... the cost is going to be high and Carnival has already been accused of charging people for everything. I would say that you get what you pay for. The cruiselines that already offer pre cruise testing are already more expensive.

In regards to the concern about testing positive. No one is stopping you from getting a test before you leave for the port.

Now here is the issue. Clearly access to testing in the U.S. is lacking. To be snarky I guess the theory is if you don't test for Covid you don't have Covid 🙂

I'm in Canada and if I have symptoms or am exposed to someone with symptoms I can get a FREE PCR test. The results come back in 24 hours. This is not a travel test. This is done by the health department.

The bigger issue is that now that we know you can have Covid with no symptoms there should be MORE access to testing, not less.

No idea what your talking about. It’s very easy to get a test in this country. It’s also very easy to get a vaccine. Just walk in any grocery store or pharmacy and get one on the spot. 

• Like 1

Questionnaire had already been done when my results came. Once you submit, you cannot change it. 

Free PCR tests are available all over the US. No, they are not good for travel. Carnival has already said you will be paying the vendor should you choose to take to rapid test. They are not saying you have to use their testing. 

20 hours ago, sm3ds said:

No idea what your talking about. It’s very easy to get a test in this country. It’s also very easy to get a vaccine. Just walk in any grocery store or pharmacy and get one on the spot. 

I guess all the questions on this forum and other social media questions regarding not being able to get a test in time is wrong?

I've just been reading that many American cruisers are struggling to get a test in time for their cruise.

In regards to being able to walk into a store or pharmacy to get a vaccine, those that can get a vaccine that way have already done so. Vaccination rates will only increase when you reach out and meet people where they are (both literally and figuratively) in terms of vaccines.

20 hours ago, sm3ds said:

What country are you in? Because in *this* country it all depends on where you live. Testing is hard to get where i live. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

What country are you in? Because in *this* country it all depends on where you live. Testing is hard to get where i live. 

agreed. It's very easy to get where I live. But I don't doubt that in more rural areas it's difficult to get tested. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, coastcat said:

FWIW, NCL is already performing antigen tests at the pier (mandatory for everyone, no extra charge). They've contracted with a vendor (Eurofins) to run the testing facility, although that requires a nearby space suitable for processing a few thousand cruisers in a relatively short window.

For the first cruise out of Seattle, we got tested at the hotel across the street; since then they've added at least one more site to spread the crowds out. The test administered is the BinaxNOW nasal swab. You are required to select an arrival time (1/2 hour increments) and are strongly encouraged to pre-register with Eurofins to speed up the process. 

This worked fine in downtown Seattle where there are suitable spaces right next to Pier 66 (which has its own conference space as well). This would be more challenging at Pier 91 from which Carnival and most of the other cruise lines sail as it's a small embarkation facility in a light industrial area.

My TA just forwarded an announcement from Royal Caribbean stating that passengers will be able to order proctored at-home test kits through a link on their site. I'm assuming they've made an arrangement for customers to purchase BinaxNOW or Ellume tests. That will be much more convenient, but the notice didn't mention if the cruise line is subsidizing any of the costs.

We saw this with NCL.  Nice touch.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:13 AM, K_e_short said:

I completely agree with you on that.

I am still cranky/angry/upset that we were told if we got vaccinated we'd get back to the things we like to do.

I like cruising. But yeah...

I totally agree with you.

We all know the Vacinnated have a reduced effect to the virus, not as sick etc.

But Cruise lines & other travel industry parts.

Want the testing cause, if someone Vacinnated who carries the virus, gives it to someone else who is also Vaccinated & it has dramatic effects. To there system eg Hospitalisation, unwell or even The remote chance of death.

Don't want litigation for a duty of care. 

Why all these hoops to jump through..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I guess all the questions on this forum and other social media questions regarding not being able to get a test in time is wrong?

I've just been reading that many American cruisers are struggling to get a test in time for their cruise.

In regards to being able to walk into a store or pharmacy to get a vaccine, those that can get a vaccine that way have already done so. Vaccination rates will only increase when you reach out and meet people where they are (both literally and figuratively) in terms of vaccines.

Any cvs or Walgreens will test you results are usually under 48 hours. If you need same day test for travel you just have to pay for it. I’m not sure why people think they should get a free expedited PCR’s test for a cruise. 

• Like 1

For those cruising in October or later, one strategy might be to get a PCR COVID Test 2 weeks before the 2 day prior cruise.  If positive, but asymptomatic, just self quarantine and retest for your cruise the day or two before.   If negative, just avoid the crowds, work from home, etc.  (semi-quarantine), then do a rapid test or home proctored test the day or two before your cruise.

Either way, you'll avoid the anxiety of worrying whether or not you'll test positive right before the cruise.

• Like 2