The Daily for Monday September 06, 2021

richwmn

17 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Sending our 🙏caring thoughts🙏 to all with concerns and 🎉celebrating🎉 with those who have joyous news especially @StLouis Cruiser on your 💒52nd anniversary💒.

Thank you @rafinmd for including my DH in your rotation. Yesterday, in beautiful sunshine, we were able to do six blocks with his 'red racer'.

IMG_20210728_115145656.jpg

Thank you @HAL Sailer!  That's a pretty snazzy "red racer"!

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

He ended up bringing up all of them, and they've all gone bad, so instead of simply pouring them down the drain, he decided to use them to water all the outdoor plants.  Now our yard smells like a brewery!   LOL

Isn’t he clever?  I never thought of watering my plants with beer (coffee, yes).  When it’s off, I put it down the drain.  I’ll remember that for next time although hopefully next time we have a get together and there is no beer left 😉 

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

From the inaugural sailing of the Koningsdam when we brought her to America! Hoping to do the same with the Rotterdam in six weeks! Meanwhile - can't wait to re-visit Civitavecchia and enjoy one of our fave pizza bistros upstairs at Mastro Titta!  Decadently Delicious!

IMG_0093.JPG

1E62C8D6-6131-4C10-A1E7-25844992E7BA.jpeg

IMG_0098.JPG

• Like 26

17 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Oh my, not even 6:30 am here on the west coast and 3 full pages already 🙂  Have been awake since 4, (who ever knows why??) and dragged myself out of bed at 5:30 (my procrastination for the day).  😉  

@StLouisCruisersHappy Anniversary!!  The photo is so adorable!  And you look like you haven't gained an ounce.  Your dress is similar to my wedding dress (also 1969) 🙂  

@dfishDebbie, again, I'm so sorry to hear that Donna won't be able to join you on the cruise.  So looking forward to (finally) meeting you and sister Sue on Friday!  The weather doesn't look too bad, small chance of showers, high of 70.  

I've had the wine, and the word "zippy" describes why I love NZ Sauvignon Blancs -- zippy!  

Have been to Civitavecchia many times, will look to see if I have any photos or if they're all of Rome. 

Thanks so much Carolyn! 

I woke up at 3:30 am today and tossed and turned until 6:15 when I got up to walk on the treadmill.  I hate that when I miss out on hours of sleep!

Empire style A-line with 3/4 length bell shaped sleeves must have been popular then.  High neck too.  At least it was modest.  I was married in my Catholic church.

Twin sister got married 12 weeks after I did, and having no money to speak of to pay for her wedding, asked if she could wear my dress.  Being a generous sister I said yes, even though half the guests were family members who had just seen me in it.  😇

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I try not to procrastinate, except when it comes to cleaning the oven.  Happy Labour Day everyone - yes, it does signal the end of summer for many of us.  Love reading, and like @Seasick Sailor, enjoy the murder, mayhem, espionage type of books.

@StLouisCruisersa very Happy Anniversary to you and your handsome DH.  Let the love and laughter continue!

Wishing all those who celebrate Rosh Hashanah a happy new year.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who read today's menu suggestion as Linguine with New Zealand Cookies; I was looking forward to seeing what was in the cookies!  LOL

We've begun cruises Civitavecchia a couple of times, and recall one when we did a back to back where DH and I got off and found a great little place to re-stock our cabin supply of wine.

Yesterday DH was cleaning out the cold storage area downstairs when he realized we had about 6 dozen beer that we've had for well over a year.  We always buy a lot of beer for guests attending our Summerfest barbecue, keeping it in cold storage until the actual party.  Well last year we couldn't have the gathering due to Covid, and this year was no different, so . . .   He brought a couple of dozen upstairs, opened one, and it was off.  Opened another, same thing.  He ended up bringing up all of them, and they've all gone bad, so instead of simply pouring them down the drain, he decided to use them to water all the outdoor plants.  Now our yard smells like a brewery!   LOL

It's a cool and quiet day here on the "frozen tundra", so instead of the linguine, I think I'll take the frozen remains of last week's rotisserie chicken and turn it into soup.  Along with some fresh baguettes, that will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, thank you for your kind words.  When I was dating DH my neighbor who was a couple years younger than I was, went on and on about my "hunky" boyfriend.  Must have been the slang of the day!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, sorry to take up so much space here but wanted to respond to everyone for their many wishes for us today.  Thank you so much my friends!  

A great group of days today.  I think sometimes I do procrastinate when it's something I really don't want to do.  Of course today is Labor Day and like I said, it's great you all get a holiday to celebrate my anniversary!  LOL!  As for Read a Book Day, I'm currently reading a book called "Maiden Voyages: Magnificent Ocean Liners and the Women Who Traveled and Worked Aboard Them" by Sian Evans.  It's on my Kindle.  The author goes into great detail about some of their lives so sometimes it feels like a gossip mag.  😄

Civitavecchia is a great little port and the gateway to Rome.  We've been there so many times I had to check my "chart".  Nine time!  Quite a few times we've spent time roaming around town instead of heading into Rome.  Perhaps I'll find a few photos to share of Civi instead of Rome.

But first a photo of DH and me cutting the cake at our reception.  I was 19, working at the time, and paid for the entire wedding myself.  We had 275 friends and family members there, but remember things were a lot cheaper in 1969!  My handsome DH was 21 and an engineering student at the time.  I continued working and helped put him through college.  Our daughter didn't arrive until 3 years later after he graduated.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlcZk5WIPvuJMvxDBNQAUdV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1630791029

Beautiful picture!

Please let me know how your appointment goes on Friday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAM37 said:

Beautiful picture!

Please let me know how your appointment goes on Friday.

Thanks, Julia!  I hope they don't find anything too concerning, but it would be nice to know why this cough continues on and on.

I hope also that your DH is feeling better day by day.  In my neighbor Brenda's case, it happened suddenly that she perked up and felt normal again.  Took her a month.  How long has it been for your DH?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@dfishDebbie, again, I'm so sorry to hear that Donna won't be able to join you on the cruise.  So looking forward to (finally) meeting you and sister Sue on Friday!  The weather doesn't look too bad, small chance of showers, high of 70.  

Sue and I are really excited to be meeting you finally after all these  years.   I think we might just be able to have our lunch in the park!

A little back story here:   Sister Sue and I were supposed to be on the same Koningsdam cruise as Carolyn back in January 2017.   About 10 days before the cruise I fell and broke my hip, so that took care of that.   I was in charge of the Meet and Greet, so I sent Sue to the post office to mail off name tags and a banner that we had made for the sail away from Ft. Lauderdale.  Carolyn hosted the sail away with our banner.   We've come close over the years of finally meeting in person, but always missed each other by a day or two.  This time is for sure.  Unless we mess up on our COVID tests.  

Clarification:   Sue is my sister and Donna is our friend.   

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks, Julia!  I hope they don't find anything too concerning, but it would be nice to know why this cough continues on and on.

I hope also that your DH is feeling better day by day.  In my neighbor Brenda's case, it happened suddenly that she perked up and felt normal again.  Took her a month.  How long has it been for your DH?

Today is day 27.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, sorry to take up so much space here but wanted to respond to everyone for their many wishes for us today.  Thank you so much my friends!  

A great group of days today. 

But first a photo of DH and me cutting the cake at our reception.  I was 19, working at the time, and paid for the entire wedding myself.  We had 275 friends and family members there, but remember things were a lot cheaper in 1969!  My handsome DH was 21 and an engineering student at the time.  I continued working and helped put him through college.  Our daughter didn't arrive until 3 years later after he graduated.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlcZk5WIPvuJMvxDBNQAUdV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1630791029

Happy Anniversary Sandi  @StLouisCruisers and many, many more years , like you Martha and I also got married in '69 which was quite the year to do it in .

Love the picture and like it very much that your DH the engineer started cutting the cake from the bottom up , I also happen to be an engineer , graduating in '69 and have done the same thing , so you see we have quite a few things in common 😄

Have a wonderful day 

Tony 😄

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning all. I’m early and it’s already page 4. 

happy anniversary to @StLouisCruisers

no to that drink.     

We’ve been to Civitavecchia many times and enjoy exploring nearby.  

98BAA3A1-7ABC-4BAD-8177-F84F1F54ABAF.jpeg

2EE0D392-5493-4B5C-8DCD-2854B8CCCEE7.jpeg

92132B6D-C01D-4F42-BC7F-4FFF8F98348D.jpeg

Thank you very much!  I've been to that village up on top of a plateau!  Unbelievable views!  Looked up the name...it's Civita di Bagnoregio.  I'll never forget it!

• Like 11

I found the pictures from our September 29, 2001, visit to Rome while on the Golden Princess' first TA.  Since then, all our visits to  Civitavecchia and Rome have been on BHBs.  We've always enjoyed Rome and our two days spent in Civitavecchia, but the first time stands out. 

We were there 2 1/2 weeks after 9/11, and Rome was not crowded.  That day, as it was our first time in Rome, we took a tour that included the Coloseum, Vatican City and the Vatican Museum.

Our first stop was the Coloseum.  The first two pictures are of the area around the Coloseum.

IMG_0272.thumb.JPG.251f594a1ce450ebc4640d212fc795d9.JPG

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.87b4fc5d5a56a0566d3b8c4bfa42ddfb.JPG

The Coloseum

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.20fe03a0fdc801d9b372c76df8580b69.JPG

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.d46df9547087a604c9b42a3e5ca463d8.JPG

IMG_0286.thumb.JPG.df17fa957d9fa7c8f96398eaea8b3ca0.JPG

IMG_0289.thumb.JPG.f4a2bda38e612ebabb289a4c075fce6e.JPG

Some of the very little marble left since most was taken and used for other buildings and statues.

IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.e7c4a52cdc157502631ac6a9a2749a16.JPG

Our next stop was Vatican City.

IMG_0296.thumb.JPG.e8122ca6c1a4b08af9eedb7ee63b1ad1.JPG

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.d5d183a241ab9c442863d81cac8dd32e.JPG

My one picture of the Sistine Chapel

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.5679854ff918266a67168761af2e099f.JPG

A couple of pictures from inside St. Perer's Basilica.

IMG_0306.thumb.JPG.d826264fbdc879b566686534438d9dd3.JPG

IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.5b8f71e0617463be57b7399fa77449f2.JPG

Our guide got us out of St. Peter's just before noon and in the best position to see the changing of the guard.

IMG_0320.thumb.JPG.6b69e19be84a2be3a43162953fe2a1f5.JPG

Since this is getting rather long, I'll post the pictures from the Viatican Museum in another post.

Lenda

IMG_0305.JPG

• Like 29

4 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Happy Anniversary Sandi  @StLouisCruisers and many, many more years , like you Martha and I also got married in '69 which was quite the year to do it in .

Love the picture and like it very much that your DH the engineer started cutting the cake from the bottom up , I also happen to be an engineer , graduating in '69 and have done the same thing , so you see we have quite a few things in common 😄

Have a wonderful day 

Tony 😄

Thanks Tony!   Yes that was quite the year!  Like I said earlier my twin got married 12 weeks later so that was still 1969.  

It's amazing how many engineers you meet while on a cruise.🚢 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

From the inaugural sailing of the Koningsdam when we brought her to America! Hoping to do the same with the Rotterdam in six weeks! Meanwhile - can't wait to re-visit Civitavecchia and enjoy one of our fave pizza bistros upstairs at Mastro Titta!  Decadently Delicious!

1E62C8D6-6131-4C10-A1E7-25844992E7BA.jpeg

IMG_0098.JPG

Also love that place!  Bet you stayed next door at Hotel Traghetto 😉.  

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I found the pictures from our September 29, 2001, visit to Rome while on the Golden Princess' first TA.  Since then, all our visits to  Civitavecchia and Rome have been on BHBs.  We've always enjoyed Rome and our two days spent in Civitavecchia, but the first time stands out. 

We were there 2 1/2 weeks after 9/11, and Rome was not crowded.  That day, as it was our first time in Rome, we took a tour that included the Coloseum, Vatican City and the Vatican Museum.

Our first stop was the Coloseum.  The first two pictures are of the area around the Coloseum.

IMG_0272.thumb.JPG.251f594a1ce450ebc4640d212fc795d9.JPG

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.87b4fc5d5a56a0566d3b8c4bfa42ddfb.JPG

The Coloseum

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.20fe03a0fdc801d9b372c76df8580b69.JPG

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.d46df9547087a604c9b42a3e5ca463d8.JPG

IMG_0286.thumb.JPG.df17fa957d9fa7c8f96398eaea8b3ca0.JPG

IMG_0289.thumb.JPG.f4a2bda38e612ebabb289a4c075fce6e.JPG

Some of the very little marble left since most was taken and used for other buildings and statues.

IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.e7c4a52cdc157502631ac6a9a2749a16.JPG

Our next stop was Vatican City.

IMG_0296.thumb.JPG.e8122ca6c1a4b08af9eedb7ee63b1ad1.JPG

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.d5d183a241ab9c442863d81cac8dd32e.JPG

My one picture of the Sistine Chapel

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.5679854ff918266a67168761af2e099f.JPG

A couple of pictures from inside St. Perer's Basilica.

IMG_0306.thumb.JPG.d826264fbdc879b566686534438d9dd3.JPG

IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.5b8f71e0617463be57b7399fa77449f2.JPG

Our guide got us out of St. Peter's just before noon and in the best position to see the changing of the guard.

IMG_0320.thumb.JPG.6b69e19be84a2be3a43162953fe2a1f5.JPG

Since this is getting rather long, I'll post the pictures from the Viatican Museum in another post.

Lenda

IMG_0305.JPG

Lovely photos.

This reminds me of a time we were on a ships tour to Rome with Pauline's mam and dad.

The traffic is horrendous but as we were pushing Pauline's mam in her wheelchair near the Vatican the traffic stopped to let us cross.

Paulines mam was 80 and had Angina and why she had the wheelchair but she jumped out of her wheelchair and ran across the road.

The drivers stared in disbelief so we looked to the sky and all shouted Its a Miracle.😇😇

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Haha 17

24 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Also love that place!  Bet you stayed next door at Hotel Traghetto 😉.  

You've got that right @kb4683 Hotel Traghetto isn't fancy, but the location and the incredible service can't be beat! They even stored (for no charge) our luggage while we toured for a week in between B2B cruises and gave us a bottle of wine to celebrate our anniversary!

• Like 13