The Daily for Monday September 06, 2021

richwmn

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, sorry to take up so much space here but wanted to respond to everyone for their many wishes for us today.  Thank you so much my friends!  

A great group of days today.  I think sometimes I do procrastinate when it's something I really don't want to do.  Of course today is Labor Day and like I said, it's great you all get a holiday to celebrate my anniversary!  LOL!  As for Read a Book Day, I'm currently reading a book called "Maiden Voyages: Magnificent Ocean Liners and the Women Who Traveled and Worked Aboard Them" by Sian Evans.  It's on my Kindle.  The author goes into great detail about some of their lives so sometimes it feels like a gossip mag.  😄

Civitavecchia is a great little port and the gateway to Rome.  We've been there so many times I had to check my "chart".  Nine time!  Quite a few times we've spent time roaming around town instead of heading into Rome.  Perhaps I'll find a few photos to share of Civi instead of Rome.

But first a photo of DH and me cutting the cake at our reception.  I was 19, working at the time, and paid for the entire wedding myself.  We had 275 friends and family members there, but remember things were a lot cheaper in 1969!  My handsome DH was 21 and an engineering student at the time.  I continued working and helped put him through college.  Our daughter didn't arrive until 3 years later after he graduated.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlcZk5WIPvuJMvxDBNQAUdV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1630791029

Happy Anniversary. That cake looks beautiful.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  It's a daily fight Procrastination Day here everyday.  Getting more lazy in my old age.  I read daily, love the feel of a real book in my hands.  Happy Labor Day everyone.  @StLouisCruisersHappy Anniversary.  The meal sounds interesting. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Yorsh:

Yorsh is a Russian mixed drink consisting of beer thoroughly mixed with an ample quantity of vodka. It is traditionally drunk in a social setting, typically with a toast followed by downing a full glass of it at one go. Vodka is a neutral spirit which does not greatly alter the flavor of the beer, but does greatly increase its alcohol content.Wikipedia
Ingredients

2 oz Vodka
    Beer
    Glass: Beer Mug

Directions

Fill a chilled beer mug with any beer.
    Pour vodka over top and serve without stirring.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.25.32 AM.png

Could I safely drive after a couple of these?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone. Happy Labor Day, and Happy and Healthy  New Year to all who celebrate. Half my family started celebrating early on Saturday when they came for a visit.We will celebrate tomorrow with the rest of our family.

I love to read and have been a member of a book club for almost forever. Not the same club, but various different ones.

Rome is a place we e visited, but not on a cruise.

We are going to sit around our pool today for the first time this summer. Today is the last day it will be open, a d we have missed socializing since Sam got sick.

Stay safe out there, everyone.

Carol

• Like 22

Good  morning to  all. Happy  Labor  Day. I  noticed  that  some  leaves  are  dropping  already  here.

I  seem  to  procrastinate  mostly  about  cleaning  activities but  I  do  read  every day. The  latest  is  a  good  mystery  by  John  Banville  called "Snow".

The  recipe  looks  wonderful, Debbie. The  vinegar  chicken  I  made  yesterday  was outstanding  and  I  followed  the  recipe  exactly. Thank  you  for  doing  this  for  us. @dfish,  I  was  so  sorry  to  hear  about the necessary  cancellation  by  your  sister.I  am  sure  you  are  all  very  disappointed   but  she  will  be  so  much  better  after  the  surgery.

@StLouisCruisers, I  wish  you  both  a  very  Happy  Anniversary. Enjoy  your  day with  all  of  us  celebrating  with  you  in  spirit!

We  have  been  to  the  port  twice, the  last  time  on  the  Prinsendam in  2018. I  look  forward  to  pictures  but  mine  are  of  Rome.

Terry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I goofed in reading Rich's opening post today thinking "cookie" instead of  "cockle".  I'll pass on that.  Today's alternate menu suggestion is from the "Crystal Classics" section including a "Traditional Main Fare" (rotating always available) entree:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0906.pdf

It's Traditional Caesar Salad, Grilled Black Angus Sirloin Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus, and Blueberry Jalousie as served on Crystal Serenity September 6, 2016.

Here's the steak:

sirloin0906.jpg

And the Blueberry Jalousie:

jalousie.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!    

Rich thanks for the Daily Fleet report.   Tis good to know where the ships are at.

St Louis Cruisers:  Happy Anniversary and "Ad Multos Annos."

To all who have contributed to this thread, I thank you!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I goofed in reading Rich's opening post today thinking "cookie" instead of  "cockle".  I'll pass on that.  Today's alternate menu suggestion is from the "Crystal Classics" section including a "Traditional Main Fare" (rotating always available) entree:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0906.pdf

It's Traditional Caesar Salad, Grilled Black Angus Sirloin Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus, and Blueberry Jalousie as served on Crystal Serenity September 6, 2016.

Here's the steak:

sirloin0906.jpg

And the Blueberry Jalousie:

jalousie.jpg

Roy

Roy, This sounds good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites! Thank you Rich for the Daily. Thanks to Roy, our faithful keeper of prayers and Cheers. And of course our F&B ladies. Great cartoons today Jacqui.

Happy Anniversary to Sandi and DH. You two look adorable!

image.png.20b40c2c92f4223f21ee1aca7668fac8.png

image.png.aab030bc0cadf9c32bd56d494e0c8a66.png

Heavy rain last night. We sat outside and enjoyed a night cap until a bolt of lightening scared us inside.

Debbie I'm sorry your sis will be left behind on your long over due joyful sailing. 

I would love the dish of the day, replacing cockles with clams.. We are going out for sushi dinner today but saving this recipe for sure.

I love to read. My favorite books are "murder and mayhem, espionage" subjects.

Wishing everyone a blessed day. Prayers and cheers!

image.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning to  all. Happy  Labor  Day. I  noticed  that  some  leaves  are  dropping  already  here.

I  seem  to  procrastinate  mostly  about  cleaning  activities but  I  do  read  every day. The  latest  is  a  good  mystery  by  John  Banville  called "Snow".

The  recipe  looks  wonderful, Debbie. The  vinegar  chicken  I  made  yesterday  was outstanding  and  I  followed  the  recipe  exactly. Thank  you  for  doing  this  for  us. @dfish,  I  was  so  sorry  to  hear  about the necessary  cancellation  by  your  sister.I  am  sure  you  are  all  very  disappointed   but  she  will  be  so  much  better  after  the  surgery.

@StLouisCruisers, I  wish  you  both  a  very  Happy  Anniversary. Enjoy  your  day with  all  of  us  celebrating  with  you  in  spirit!

We  have  been  to  the  port  twice, the  last  time  on  the  Prinsendam in  2018. I  look  forward  to  pictures  but  mine  are  of  Rome.

Terry

Thank you Terry for the nice wishes.  You sound like a good cook who isn't afraid to try new recipes.  Your family must enjoy the variety. If you were on the Prinsendam in 2018, we may have been on the same cruise.  We were in Civi in April on the Grand Africa and Med. cruise and in the month of September.  Loved that ship!! 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Himself said:

HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!    

Rich thanks for the Daily Fleet report.   Tis good to know where the ships are at.

St Louis Cruisers:  Happy Anniversary and "Ad Multos Annos."

To all who have contributed to this thread, I thank you!!

Thank you Father!  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites! Thank you Rich for the Daily. Thanks to Roy, our faithful keeper of prayers and Cheers. And of course our F&B ladies. Great cartoons today Jacqui.

Happy Anniversary to Sandi and DH. You two look adorable!

image.png.20b40c2c92f4223f21ee1aca7668fac8.png

image.png.aab030bc0cadf9c32bd56d494e0c8a66.png

Heavy rain last night. We sat outside and enjoyed a night cap until a bolt of lightening scared us inside.

Debbie I'm sorry your sis will be left behind on your long over due joyful sailing. 

I would love the dish of the day, replacing cockles with clams.. We are going out for sushi dinner today but saving this recipe for sure.

I love to read. My favorite books are "murder and mayhem, espionage" subjects.

Wishing everyone a blessed day. Prayers and cheers!

image.png

Joy, thank you so much!  I love the anniversary password meme - too cute!  Our date was easy to remember 9-6-69.  We would have married on one of the two Saturdays before that but his cousin and my cousin were engaged and snapped up the two late August Saturdays for their weddings.  And DH was in ROTC at Fort Riley Kansas from mid June to end of July.  He missed the moon landing because of that!

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, highscar said:

I miss the cockles and winkles at Blackpool and South End. Eh Graham?  Grew up on them as a youngster on vacation. 

Most English seaside resorts used to sell cockles and winkles.

I prefer Prawn Linguine and never tried cockle linquine like this photo.

Screenshot_20210906_142521.jpg

• Like 8

Sending our 🙏caring thoughts🙏 to all with concerns and 🎉celebrating🎉 with those who have joyous news especially @StLouis Cruiser on your 💒52nd anniversary💒.

Thank you @rafinmd for including my DH in your rotation. Yesterday, in beautiful sunshine, we were able to do six blocks with his 'red racer'.

IMG_20210728_115145656.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Oh my, not even 6:30 am here on the west coast and 3 full pages already 🙂  Have been awake since 4, (who ever knows why??) and dragged myself out of bed at 5:30 (my procrastination for the day).  😉  

@StLouisCruisersHappy Anniversary!!  The photo is so adorable!  And you look like you haven't gained an ounce.  Your dress is similar to my wedding dress (also 1969) 🙂  

@dfishDebbie, again, I'm so sorry to hear that Donna won't be able to join you on the cruise.  So looking forward to (finally) meeting you and sister Sue on Friday!  The weather doesn't look too bad, small chance of showers, high of 70.  

I've had the wine, and the word "zippy" describes why I love NZ Sauvignon Blancs -- zippy!  

Have been to Civitavecchia many times, will look to see if I have any photos or if they're all of Rome. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I try not to procrastinate, except when it comes to cleaning the oven.  Happy Labour Day everyone - yes, it does signal the end of summer for many of us.  Love reading, and like @Seasick Sailor, enjoy the murder, mayhem, espionage type of books.

@StLouisCruisersa very Happy Anniversary to you and your handsome DH.  Let the love and laughter continue!

Wishing all those who celebrate Rosh Hashanah a happy new year.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who read today's menu suggestion as Linguine with New Zealand Cookies; I was looking forward to seeing what was in the cookies!  LOL

We've begun cruises Civitavecchia a couple of times, and recall one when we did a back to back where DH and I got off and found a great little place to re-stock our cabin supply of wine.

Yesterday DH was cleaning out the cold storage area downstairs when he realized we had about 6 dozen beer that we've had for well over a year.  We always buy a lot of beer for guests attending our Summerfest barbecue, keeping it in cold storage until the actual party.  Well last year we couldn't have the gathering due to Covid, and this year was no different, so . . .   He brought a couple of dozen upstairs, opened one, and it was off.  Opened another, same thing.  He ended up bringing up all of them, and they've all gone bad, so instead of simply pouring them down the drain, he decided to use them to water all the outdoor plants.  Now our yard smells like a brewery!   LOL

It's a cool and quiet day here on the "frozen tundra", so instead of the linguine, I think I'll take the frozen remains of last week's rotisserie chicken and turn it into soup.  Along with some fresh baguettes, that will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Terry for the nice wishes.  You sound like a good cook who isn't afraid to try new recipes.  Your family must enjoy the variety. If you were on the Prinsendam in 2018, we may have been on the same cruise.  We were in Civi in April on the Grand Africa and Med. cruise and in the month of September.  Loved that ship!! 

I do think we were on the same cruise.The weather was lovely and we had a lot of motion of the ocean in the English Channel.

My family is always a little  apprehensive  when I tell them a new recipe has been tried.There are some doozies I would not repeat.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

@StLouisCruisers A very Happy Anniversary to you both. Hope you have many more!

Be back later. Jeez 3rd page already!  Didnt think I had water aerobics today but they just called looking for me.

Thank you very much!  Sorry about the page 3.  It must be my fault for thanking all my friends here on the Daily!

• Like 8