Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

16 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

To what extent is Explora trying to enforce their new “language” (journey not cruise, host not crew, fueling not dining, etc)? 😃 Seems like the sort of thing I would violate left and right, so just wanting to know ahead of time if there are consequences for referring incorrectly about things like the trivia ritual 🤫.

I haven’t seen any signs of enforcement. 

• Thanks 1

To all now on this new ship.

I know EJ1 has no formal nights, do you see lots of dress-up guests? Long dresses, ties, French cuffs etc.? Are most men in sports coats? % to total in a dinner.

Items you wish you had with you ?

We want to make sure we don't over pack with all of the extra gear we are planning to take to Iceland's cold temps. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, misztercruizer said:

I know EJ1 has no formal nights, do you see lots of dress-up guests? Long dresses, ties, French cuffs etc.? Are most men in sports coats? % to total in a dinner.

We want to make sure we don't over pack with all of the extra gear we are planning to take to Iceland's cold temps. Thanks

Even without being in the ship; permit me 2 notes from my long experience with European cruises and land tourism alike:

As per their description, no formal nights aboard. It's relaxing everywhere.

While on cruises or land vacations, Europeans seem to be slightly more conservative than their current US peers as far as both reading CC and other sources things seem to me. Any day, formal or not so, going for dinner at a cruise is really like going for such a premium-to-luxury good land restaurant or a wedding event. For man some trousers and a collared shirt usually suffix with optional tie. For the Nordic seas I'd recommend a jacket just to feel more comfortable while running the ship, etc. For ladies a nice cocktail dress, blouse & skirt or something on that range would suffix.

My pro tip? If going a little bit out of place on your flight doesn't bother you the most, try to use your jacket for the flight. It will save you some precious weight on your luggage, even if you fly Executive class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, misztercruizer said:

Our clothing selection, just our style with no prejudice towards other’s choices

For 18 days of Iceland to NY I’m taking everything from my Carhartt jacket to my fine Norwegian sweater to a blazer and sport coat. Given the itinerary you will see me in more long-sleeve sport shirts in contrast to polos. We are Americans who still dress a little above the US standard for resort casual, particularly for a more relaxed dinner at one of the table service restaurants. You won’t find me in a jacket at the Emporium on those nights we eat there.😀. My wife will take several smart dresses, sweaters and shawls, but daytime around the ship will be resort casual or ‘less’ around the pools.

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Our clothing selection, just our style with no prejudice towards other’s choices

For 18 days of Iceland to NY I’m taking everything from my Carhartt jacket to my fine Norwegian sweater to a blazer and sport coat. Given the itinerary you will see me in more long-sleeve sport shirts in contrast to polos. We are Americans who still dress a little above the US standard for resort casual, particularly for a more relaxed dinner at one of the table service restaurants. You won’t find me in a jacket at the Emporium on those nights we eat there.😀. My wife will take several smart dresses, sweaters and shawls, but daytime around the ship will be resort casual or ‘less’ around the pools.

Whether or not 'm in style I plan to bring the sports coat and pants and/or suit but no tie for restaurant dinners on a recent celebrity cruise. I found the men wore nicer closing at night as did the women on the longer trip which had many sea days

Dressing nice in the evening is always nice and what means varies from.person to person enjoy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, misztercruizer said:

Be sure to check weather.com right before you leave for your cruise.

Temps in Nuuk are in the 40s.  High for Friday in Akureyri is going to be 66.

It's not Fairbanks in February.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Be sure to check weather.com right before you leave for your cruise.

Temps in Nuuk are in the 40s.  High for Friday in Akureyri is going to be 66.

It's not Fairbanks in February.

We are doing the glacial river rafting run in Akureyri. They promised dry suits, but I still imagine it will be frosty.