Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Third time lucky? Join us 20 October 🙂 Would be lovely to see you again! 

That would be fun - but first we need to see our refunds etc 😃. I see a card dispute looming 😀

"On Thursday Fincantieri delivered the liner to MSC with a two-week delay. The shipbuilder replaced Paroc’s products with other insulation material “where possible and “doubled the insulation where necessary,” it said. The remedies have been approved by regulatory bodies and no Paroc products will be used on other ships under construction, it added." FT

Read this: 

"If you're unfortunate enough to be on an early sailing of a vessel that's canceled due to shipyard delays, you'll usually be offered a full refund plus some sort of "we're so sorry" bonus. In the case of the recently delayed Explora 1, passengers on the canceled maiden voyage were offered not just a full refund but also a credit for an entire future cruise."

Full article: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/brand-new-cruise-ship-warnings/?utm_section=ts&utm_source=TPG Curated Cruise Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7346486&utm_usr=8bb5ec41110f4310eec4b4d9d2e70e0e8689d2ce107cc973fe0f36e681752eba

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TER777 said:

passengers on the canceled maiden voyage were offered not just a full refund but also a credit for an entire future cruise."

"That sounds generous, for sure. But it isn't always easy using future cruise credits. Finding space on a later sailing that works with your schedule, assuming you want a similar itinerary and a similar type of cabin, is often a challenge. This is particularly true with a startup line like Explora Journeys, which only has one relatively small vessel in operation for now (and thus not a lot of inventory)."

Is this credit for "an entire future cruise" the same category originally booked ? 

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Read this: 

"If you're unfortunate enough to be on an early sailing of a vessel that's canceled due to shipyard delays, you'll usually be offered a full refund plus some sort of "we're so sorry" bonus. In the case of the recently delayed Explora 1, passengers on the canceled maiden voyage were offered not just a full refund but also a credit for an entire future cruise."

Full article: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/brand-new-cruise-ship-warnings/?utm_section=ts&utm_source=TPG Curated Cruise Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7346486&utm_usr=8bb5ec41110f4310eec4b4d9d2e70e0e8689d2ce107cc973fe0f36e681752eba

I believe Explora did make that offer for the first maiden voyage that was cancelled - the May one.  I think points guy didn't do his homework before posting.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/10/explora-i-introduction-pushed-back-to-july-2023/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My own view of TPG is to take what's posted there with a grain or two of salt.  And to do your own independent research.

TPG is owned by Bankrate, which monetizes eyeballs through referral links and advertiser promotions.  And Bankrate is owned by Red Ventures.

Brian Kelly was the founder, and was pretty good about his material.  However, he sold off the company years ago, and is now merely an occasional spokesman.  IMO, the quality declined once he was no longer involved with management.

Over the years, I've found them to be hit or miss.  Sometimes, they are spot on.  Sometime, less so.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"That sounds generous, for sure. But it isn't always easy using future cruise credits. Finding space on a later sailing that works with your schedule, assuming you want a similar itinerary and a similar type of cabin, is often a challenge. This is particularly true with a startup line like Explora Journeys, which only has one relatively small vessel in operation for now (and thus not a lot of inventory)."

Is this credit for "an entire future cruise" the same category originally booked ? 

Indeed the voucher is as I understand (though I’ve still not seen it) for only 30% of the value of the booking which you have to use for a future booking within 1 year at todays higher prices which reduces its value to under 20%. People who had cruises cancelled almost a year out got 40%. Those who had their May and June cruises cancelled six months out got 100%. 
Given how late the cancellation was, I feel Explora Journey have been so wrapped up in protecting the future sailings they treated those affected for 17 July rather shabbily. As I am still waiting for the refund and details of the voucher I’ll suspend final judgement on them until I see all the paperwork but on current form my November cruise with them (already paid for in full) may well be my first and last 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Indeed the voucher is as I understand (though I’ve still not seen it) for only 30% of the value of the booking which you have to use for a future booking within 1 year at todays higher prices which reduces its value to under 20%. People who had cruises cancelled almost a year out got 40%. Those who had their May and June cruises cancelled six months out got 100%. 
Given how late the cancellation was, I feel Explora Journey have been so wrapped up in protecting the future sailings they treated those affected for 17 July rather shabbily. As I am still waiting for the refund and details of the voucher I’ll suspend final judgement on them until I see all the paperwork but on current form my November cruise with them (already paid for in full) may well be my first and last 

Take it from someone who has missed cruises due to delays in ship completion, owners going bankrupt, COVID shut downs etc, etc. No it's never nice...count your blessings that at the worst you will be reimbursed for your outlay with an option for a reduced price on the next one (I know, I know, your choice..yes it's inconvenient). I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines are not in a conspiracy to ruin our holiday plans. Might be time for you to start a new thread..for me I like to look forward.

• Like 2

I agree with looking forward there should certainly be new threads covering onboard experiences. However let’s not be only allowing the positive experiences of all sorts have to be covered and the experience of those subjected to the late cancellation is not entirely positive. Perhaps when I get my money back I will feel differently 

on another note - the ship is actually sailing now, en route to Portsmouth at a leisurely pace - probably without paying passengers, but maybe with reporters or travel agents

=> I'm sort of amazed we haven't seen anyone put up a video on Youtube, except for a 2 minute short that only shows the lobby and people perusing it on the day it was officially handed over to the company

3 minutes ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

except for a 2 minute short that only shows the lobby and people perusing it on the day it was officially handed over to the company

That might be because MSC is using the same internet service as on their other ships. I could not upload a 10 second video to CC.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

on another note - the ship is actually sailing now, en route to Portsmouth at a leisurely pace - probably without paying passengers, but maybe with reporters or travel agents

=> I'm sort of amazed we haven't seen anyone put up a video on Youtube, except for a 2 minute short that only shows the lobby and people perusing it on the day it was officially handed over to the company

There are some Facebook posts other than the official ones that have posted (says with permission) both photos and short video clips of Explora now 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

There are lots of pictures and videos on their FaceBook page posted by travelers on board now. Check it out.  The ship is stunning. The menus are creative and tempting.  We’re sailing September 2 & can’t wait to see this for ourselves. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:57 AM, uktog said:

I agree with looking forward there should certainly be new threads covering onboard experiences. However let’s not be only allowing the positive experiences of all sorts have to be covered and the experience of those subjected to the late cancellation is not entirely positive. Perhaps when I get my money back I will feel differently 

I have read your threads over the years. You are a fair and unbiased reviewer. I am sincerely sorry that this happened to you. I hope it is all resolved quickly and fairly as I know you will report the truth. 
We are looking at Explora and hope these myriad of issues are concluded with class and a manner that sets them up for success. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know you have to pay only for the "Anthology" and the private dining "Chef´s Kitchen". All the other restaurants are complimentary.

Now there are many travel agents on the ship, mine too. He loves it 😉.
You also can find Videos on youtube made by passengers and not animated.

• Thanks 1

I would state, that the dresscode is casual up to smart casual outside of the pool areas. You only see a few (obviously) non paying guests in less than that like wearing shorts and t-shirts… 

1 minute ago, LuiK said:

I would state, that the dresscode is casual up to smart casual outside of the pool areas. You only see a few (obviously) non paying guests in less than that like wearing shorts and t-shirts… 

Hiw are people dressed for evenings thank you

2 hours ago, LuiK said:

Like I said. You will not see t-shirts or shorts (much). Almost nobody looks shabby. People who pay 1.000 Euros per night know how to look decent. Even I try to fit in 😉

Can I quote you ? It is a great observation and I would love to give you credit when I use it.