Transfer Reservation from one TA to another TA?

mfabz

Just now, Oville said:

We canceled a cruise 3 weeks before final payment earlier this month.  The company has a cancellation fee which we understood.  Mysteriously our refund was $300 less than it should have been.  Three or four days of emails and phone calls the problem was resolved but the nonsense we had to put up with to get it refunded was beyond comprehension.  You can’t believe the numerous explanations to justify the charge.  Needless to say this company will not get anymore of our business.

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Although I do not have to justify my statement to someone like you, a poster on a board,  I will be very happy to email you (if you provide me your email) how they conned us. Will provide you specific proof that you ask for above.

You owe me (a poster on a board) absolutely nothing. You owe the company that you are calling con artists an answer. Many people that post on this board are familiar with the company you are talking about. I have had interaction with them myself. I won’t defend them since I had a negative experience, but I also won’t defame their reputation by calling them con artists as you have done. 

We are dealing with the same agency as well. We have been using them since 2014 and were happy with their extra perks. Totally agree that they have become very difficult to deal with since the pandemic. But we heard people were having the same issue with the big warehouse TA as well. So now we are thinking whether we want to keep our new booking with Celebrity or transfer it to another TA...

2 hours ago, Oville said:

We canceled a cruise 3 weeks before final payment earlier this month.  The company has a cancellation fee which we understood.  Mysteriously our refund was $300 less than it should have been.  Three or four days of email and phone calls the problem was resolved but the nonsense we had to put up with to get it refunded was beyond comprehension.  You can’t believe the numerous explanations to justify the charge.  Needless to say this company will not get anymore of our business.

Pretty sure that hundreds (thousands?) of passengers who booked with directly with Celebrity have experienced similar runarounds during the pandemic. Go back and look at all of the posts where people were promised a refund on their credit card that kept being delayed and delayed with a variety of excuses offered and the passengers finally went to their card issuer for dispute resolution.

I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with the company again. Whether their actions were illegal and constituted a con is a different story IMO.

Edited by Fouremco

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Pretty sure that hundreds (thousands?) of passengers who booked with directly with Celebrity have experienced similar runarounds during the pandemic. Go back and look at all of the posts where people were promised a refund on their credit card that kept being delayed and delayed with a variety of excuses offered and the passengers finally went to their card issuer for dispute resolution.

I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with the company again. Whether their actions were illegal and constituted a con is a different story IMO.

We actually did call the credit card company after ~2 weeks waiting for a reply from this TA to cancel our cruise.  Our saga began with the TA charging our card a month before final payment which was their right contractually. As I said everything worked out fine, unfortunately we had to put up with days of BS to get it resolved.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oville said:

We actually did call the credit card company after ~2 weeks waiting for a reply from this TA to cancel our cruise.  Our saga began with the TA charging our card a month before final payment which was their right contractually. As I said everything worked out fine, unfortunately we had to put up with days of BS to get it resolved.

So if I am reading this  correctly the TA charged final payment on the agreed upon date. You wanted to cancel after they processed payment and it took 2 weeks to resolved, but in the end it all worked out.  
I have worked to get charges from airlines, tour operators and hotels refunded which took up to 5 months, not weeks to resolve, but in the end it worked out and I, like you didn’t lose $.  Would I try and trash these small businesses that were doing the best they could in unprecedented times No!  I like you, were dealing with companies that made everything right.

30 minutes ago, jelayne said:

So if I am reading this  correctly the TA charged final payment on the agreed upon date. You wanted to cancel after they processed payment and it took 2 weeks to resolved, but in the end it all worked out.  
I have worked to get charges from airlines, tour operators and hotels refunded which took up to 5 months, not weeks to resolve, but in the end it worked out and I, like you didn’t lose $.  Would I try and trash these small businesses that were doing the best they could in unprecedented times No!  I like you, were dealing with companies that made everything right.

It was a bad enough experience that we will no longer book with them and I’m not going to go into any more detail. Your response is a bit nasty.  We also work with a TA in FL, their current service is far superior.  Glad you think this company is great, we no longer do.

FYI, I said we called the credit card company after 2 weeks, it took another week before the TA responded and then the battle started.

Edited by Oville

Sorry if I came across as nasty, that wasn’t my intent.  
I have friends and family members  who are small business owners and this pandemic has been devastating to them. They have tried very hard to keep their businesses afloat and return every dollar to those who had deposits for events, receptions and classes  that couldn’t happen, but to stay afloat they had to reduce staff so instead of 15 people answering phones or emails they were 1 or 2 person operation and yes it took longer to get someone to  respond , and yes some filed credit card disputes because they suddenly decided the business they had patronized for years was going to screw them.  No one lost a dollar and they are rebuilding their businesses  but it isn’t easy.  So seeing what is and has been a excellent company to do business with being trashed because they can’t respond as quickly as they could pre pandemic is frustrating.  

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

Sorry if I came across as nasty, that wasn’t my intent.  
I have friends and family members  who are small business owners and this pandemic has been devastating to them. They have tried very hard to keep their businesses afloat and return every dollar to those who had deposits for events, receptions and classes  that couldn’t happen, but to stay afloat they had to reduce staff so instead of 15 people answering phones or emails they were 1 or 2 person operation and yes it took longer to get someone to  respond , and yes some filed credit card disputes because they suddenly decided the business they had patronized for years was going to screw them.  No one lost a dollar and they are rebuilding their businesses  but it isn’t easy.  So seeing what is and has been a excellent company to do business with being trashed because they can’t respond as quickly as they could pre pandemic is frustrating.  

This is harsh, but frankly their staffing issues are not our problem.  If they can't operate with the staff they have, they should pay more or close their doors after refunding customers.

The answer is communication.  If they only have 2 people, send out emails that tell customers when to expect refunds or when things will happen.  It takes time to do it but it could solve problems later.

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is harsh, but frankly their staffing issues are not our problem.  If they can't operate with the staff they have, they should pay more or close their doors after refunding customers.

The answer is communication.  If they only have 2 people, send out emails that tell customers when to expect refunds or when things will happen.  It takes time to do it but it could solve problems later.

I agree better communication could help.

I don’t understand this comment  “close their doors after refunding customers”.  What would they refund?  
They do not have anyone’s deposits or payments those go direct to the cruise line.  When either you or the cruise line cancels the refunds are paid by the cruise line not the TA.  The TA  role is to process the request for refunds. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I agree better communication could help.

I don’t understand this comment  “close their doors after refunding customers”.  What would they refund?  
They do not have anyone’s deposits or payments those go direct to the cruise line.  When either you or the cruise line cancels the refunds are paid by the cruise line not the TA.  The TA  role is to process the request for refunds. 

The money may ultimately come from X but the TA is involved in the process.  As already explained in this thread, it can take weeks for a TA to respond to a cancelation and/or refund request.  If this delay is due to low staff levels, one way or another, customers will take their business elsewhere.

Given the very slow payment of refunds at times during the pandemic to passengers who had booked directly with Celebrity, it would be very unrealistic IMO to expect any quicker refunds when booking with a TA. As noted previously, TAs neither hold the funds nor reimburse them. If a client cancels, they simply notify Celebrity, and I can say with some assurance that Celebrity isn't going to give a higher refund priority to TA clients than they do to those booking directly. So even the best of TAs, who notifies Celebrity within minutes of being informed of the client's desire to cancel, might be faced with a disgruntled client when repayment still has not occurred weeks later.

From the descriptions here we think we are using the same cruise agency for a current Oceania booking.  We normally use 3 different cruise agencies (depending on the deals) and this particular agency has always been among the best when dealing with RCI, Celebrity and Azamara.  They also had a decent reputation as an agency for Oceania bookings and our particular agent was very knowledgeable.   A few weeks ago his extension no longer worked so we left a message/question with their customer service voice mail.  I was appalled at the agencies general recording that it would be 3-5 business days until we would get a response and we never received any kind of response.  In over forty years of extensive cruising (and dealing with many decent cruise/travel agencies) I have never dealt with an agency with such limited word days/hours who admits they need 3-5 business days to respond.   Obviously this agency is now off our favored list and since we often book 100+ cruise days a year it is their loss.  All the other agencies with whom we deal always have a staffed customer service desk/phone that they will answer.  If a particular cruise agent is not easily available others will quickly fill in and provide immediate service. 

I should mention that the other two discount cruise agencies we use still have excellent customer service with no delays.  As always we recommend that cruisers shop around among reputable cruise agencies for the best deals (and customer service).  

As to transferring a booking to a different agency that is not likely to happen as long as the original agency is in business.  In a sense, your original cruise agency owns the reservation (or at least the commission) and cruise lines traditionally will not take a booking away from an agency without very good cause.   You can certainly try but I would not hold my breath. 

Hank

I think my agency is mid size.  With the exception of the recent hiccup with a new TA, I've been generally satisfied.  They advertise themselves as cheaper which is really a misnomer because X sets the prices.  I do realize the agents are people first and I will send them Amazon gift cards occasionally.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

The money may ultimately come from X but the TA is involved in the process.  As already explained in this thread, it can take weeks for a TA to respond to a cancelation and/or refund request.  If this delay is due to low staff levels, one way or another, customers will take their business elsewhere.

what pandemic?!?!  🙄

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

what pandemic?!?!  🙄

Just last week we booked a back to back MSC cruise (Yacht Club) and used a cruise agency (long on our personal favored list) that we have not used in about three years.  I called them at 10am and immediately got through to a very knowledgeable cruise agent.  While I was still on the phone she was able to verify the lowest price and discuss available cabins.  We booked the cruise within 5 minutes and had an e-mailed booking receipt within 10 minutes.   There was none of this voice mail, long hold times, etc.  The particular cruise agent we used (she has been with this agency for 19 years) made it clear that her boss saw this market as an opportunity because they were providing great customer service when many of their competition was doing just the opposite.  This is how a business makes friends, builds loyalty, and turns a negative market into a positive.  

The agency mentioned in this thread will likely lose a lot of business (assuming they survive) because they are not providing good customer service in an industry where that is an important facet of business.  I also have long wondered how a cruise agency can do well when they are only open M-F 8-6 (east coast time)?  Every other agency we use is open on weekends and some evenings!  Lots of cruises are booked on weekends and folks expect customer service.  Unless an agency can offer some huge price advantages they need to compete with hours and customer service.

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just last week we booked a back to back MSC cruise (Yacht Club) and used a cruise agency (long on our personal favored list) that we have not used in about three years.  I called them at 10am and immediately got through to a very knowledgeable cruise agent.  While I was still on the phone she was able to verify the lowest price and discuss available cabins.  We booked the cruise within 5 minutes and had an e-mailed booking receipt within 10 minutes.   There was none of this voice mail, long hold times, etc.  The particular cruise agent we used (she has been with this agency for 19 years) made it clear that her boss saw this market as an opportunity because they were providing great customer service when many of their competition was doing just the opposite.  This is how a business makes friends, builds loyalty, and turns a negative market into a positive.  

The agency mentioned in this thread will likely lose a lot of business (assuming they survive) because they are not providing good customer service in an industry where that is an important facet of business.  I also have long wondered how a cruise agency can do well when they are only open M-F 8-6 (east coast time)?  Every other agency we use is open on weekends and some evenings!  Lots of cruises are booked on weekends and folks expect customer service.  Unless an agency can offer some huge price advantages they need to compete with hours and customer service.

Hank

While I was still on the phone she was able to verify the lowest price and discuss available cabins.  We booked the cruise within 5 minutes and had an e-mailed booking receipt within 10 minutes.   There was none of this voice mail, long hold times, etc. I have made multiple changes directly with both Celebrity and Oceania reps for 3 upcoming cruises we have booked.  Longest wait time I ever had was 18 minutes, always walk me through everything, I stay on the phone, they email the confirmation, I review and done.  Small businesses are suffering, I am glad your mileage is better apparently, but I am sticking with those places, whether they be restaurants, small coffee shops etc that have served me well during the pandemic, even if I have to wait an extra 5 minutes or so for my wine to be refilled.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

While I was still on the phone she was able to verify the lowest price and discuss available cabins.  We booked the cruise within 5 minutes and had an e-mailed booking receipt within 10 minutes.   There was none of this voice mail, long hold times, etc. I have made multiple changes directly with both Celebrity and Oceania reps for 3 upcoming cruises we have booked.  Longest wait time I ever had was 18 minutes, always walk me through everything, I stay on the phone, they email the confirmation, I review and done.  Small businesses are suffering, I am glad your mileage is better apparently, but I am sticking with those places, whether they be restaurants, small coffee shops etc that have served me well during the pandemic, even if I have to wait an extra 5 minutes or so for my wine to be refilled.

My biggest problem dealing directly with cruise lines is the financial loss (to me).  We save 7-10% (and sometimes more) on nearly every booking by simply using discount cruise agencies.  Depending on which cruise line we are booking (we go on many different lines) we might get a discounted price on the cruise or significant perks such as On Board Credits (sometimes measured in the thousands).   I have specifically talked to reps of two cruise lines (HAL and Princess) and told them we would happily book directly with them if they would simply match the deals we get from their authorized cruise agencies.  We are always told "we do not compete with agencies"  but the lines do suggest we book directly with them and then transfer the booking to a cruise agency.  But my reason for not normally doing this is that it just involve extra steps.   

I do agree with you in terms of supporting small businesses that have been good to us for years.  It was the strong motivator that had us spend last winter in Puerto Vallarta (our normal winter home) despite a bad COVID problem.  We wanted to return so we could give business to the many restaurants (we dine out over 70 times a year in that city) where we are friendly with the owners and staff.  They were truly hurting last winter and we did our best to help them survive :).  In fact I gained over 10 pounds in PV last winter from all the terrific food and drink.  It is also why we have been delighted to return to cruising (last July) and travel to support the industries that have given us decades of joy.

Hank

• Like 1

My parents as well as their friends had issues with this particular TA (I think from the context) as well. We will never use them again.

They didn't get the correct 125% amount from their canceled cruises from March 2020. The agency kept saying call X, X kept saying call the TA, and the TA refused to do a three way call. It took me hours on the phone to try and get it sorted out because they originally weren't even being given a full refund (and I'm not talking about taxes and fees either).

X finally gave them an additional credit to make up the difference but called it a "goodwill credit" rather than an FCC. We still don't actually know what's going wrong but having it happen twice with that TA is enough for us. I had no issues with my TA and receiving the correct FCC.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, cruiserhal said:

Just as a follow-up on the 3 to 5 day agency.

I tried to direct dial the agent there who did all our bookings before Covid.

Guess what!   They changed all the extension numbers and provide no way  to get the new number.  Still can't talk to a human and all emails are ignored.

And like some others above, we are missing out on the 20% sale.   Celebrity is no help, we called but was told you must talk to your TA.    I want to try and cancel both our Cruises but DW says no and anyway I don't know who to call.    Venting over for now.

Add another unhappy customer to the same agency.   Can’t reach our agent because phone number has changed.   Must email and hope for a response.   Very frustrating since we have worked with them for years.  Never again!   I’d give up the OBC  to have control of my reservation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cookiegirl1329 said:

Add another unhappy customer to the same agency.   Can’t reach our agent because phone number has changed.   Must email and hope for a response.   Very frustrating since we have worked with them for years.  Never again!   I’d give up the OBC  to have control of my reservation.

Hi.  Check this out.   I just received an email this morning 9/27 from the TA concerning the email I sent them on 8/30.   There is someone out there.   There is hope.

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

@cruiserhal a month long response time does not give me hope.  Am I reading that right?

I'm trying to think of negatives for booking directly with X.

I can think of the long hold times....

Less OBC....

What else?

This is a follow-up to my last response above.  Yes, my original email was a month ago - bad, bad.  BUT, having checked what they sent us this morning they also wound up doing my other communications with them concerning the Celebrity sale.   This may have been an accident if they used the current cabin rates.   Also, they reduced our on board credit from $200 to $100 on each cruise (the requests were for a B2B) - they can keep that.  We are happy with what we finally got so we are just going to wait to see what happens in the future.   The cruises are next November so we have time.   Going into "wait" mode now.

Seriously I hope everyone else who are waiting hears something soon. 

Hal

9 hours ago, Cookiegirl1329 said:

Just an update.   We checked the numbers on the 2 cruises and they actually did what we asked for in the later emails to them so we are caught up.   The only downside is they reduced the OBC from $200 to $100.   Can't have everything.  🙂