Has anyone boarded a cruise with a mixed dose (AZ first and Pfizer second) and with a third full dose of Pfizer.

Retiredfirecaptain

We are in Ontario and cannot yet get the third dose. Maybe once they get the passport working. Our premier is not able to do something without making an announcement and then saying " in x days." Hopefully it will happen soon. Where did you get your third dose?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not the OP, but I got my 3rd dose in Regina. First was AZ in April, second Pfizer in June, and third Pfizer in August. My second and third doses were more than 42 days apart, so I hope that it will be ok. 

It’s interesting that the provinces allowing third doses are the ones with a lot of antivaxx morons.

I got my third shot recently too, and am grateful Alberta decided to allow it for folks with mixed does.  Haven’t cruised yet but have plenty booked.  I certainly am hopeful it corrects the perceived issue for boarding the ships 🤞

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retiredfirecaptain said:

we have a cruise booked for November with NCL.  I had the mixed dose for the first and second, but got the third full dose.   We have asked NCL to confirm that I can board but haven't gotten an answer yet.  Has anyone been able to board on any of the lines.

There is no logical reason why you should not be able to board, but I have not seen anyone that has tried.   I would suggest that you ask multiple times as the responses seems to change regularly.   Also, not sure whether NCL has a chat function but if they do, use it, print it off and take it with you.   That will help prove to them that you are just following their protocols(which should be clearly documented on the website, but aren't).

On 9/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, Retiredfirecaptain said:

we have a cruise booked for November with NCL.  I had the mixed dose for the first and second, but got the third full dose.   We have asked NCL to confirm that I can board but haven't gotten an answer yet.  Has anyone been able to board on any of the lines.

I just received an email from NCL accepting my immunizations and approving my boarding for my November trip.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, cecil89 said:

Congratulations, hope u have a great time,  please post a review with your experience.   I am still trying to get a third dose…….but not hopeful.  I fear we will have to cancel our January/February cruise.

You may have to go to another province such as Alberta, maritimes or fly to the US,  to get your third dose.  It is unfortunate, but may be necessary...  My doctor said there is no problem with getting a third dose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retiredfirecaptain said:

I just received an email from NCL accepting my immunizations and approving my boarding for my November trip.

I am happy you got such great news. Enjoy your cruise. We are hoping to get a third shot so we can take our TA leaving FLL in April. Whò knows what the rules will be then

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, MsDolly said:

I got my third shot recently too, and am grateful Alberta decided to allow it for folks with mixed does.  Haven’t cruised yet but have plenty booked.  I certainly am hopeful it corrects the perceived issue for boarding the ships 🤞

I have mixed 1st and 2nd dose: Am I able to get the third dose in Calgary?  I am not 65+.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlocole said:

I have mixed 1st and 2nd dose: Am I able to get the third dose in Calgary?  I am not 65+.

Yes, if you’re in Alberta you can get a third dose for travel. Just call 811 and let them know you have travel plans and need the 3rd dose. We did it in early September- was very easy and quick. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XLVIII said:

Yes, if you’re in Alberta you can get a third dose for travel. Just call 811 and let them know you have travel plans and need the 3rd dose. We did it in early September- was very easy and quick. 

I got my 2nd dose in June and travel in Nov to Mexico.  I am not sure I should get the jab before 6 months. I'll get it before my Alaska cruise in 2022.

1 hour ago, jlocole said:

I got my 2nd dose in June and travel in Nov to Mexico.  I am not sure I should get the jab before 6 months. I'll get it before my Alaska cruise in 2022.

There are two main reasons for getting a third shot, either to meet the US requirements to be considered fully vaccinated, or as a booster shot when the effectiveness of your existing vaccination is no longer considered to be sufficient to afford protection.

If your second shot was in June, then you don't need a booster shot. And assuming that you are flying directly to Mexico and not via the US, you don't need a "for travel" third shot for your trip next month. As things stand now, I would hold off taking a third shot.

Before the Alaskan cruise season reopens next year, we should have a far better idea of the recommended time frame for booster shots for the general public. And by then, we could very well see the US starting to accept the fact that mixed doses do work. 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, cecil89 said:

Congratulations, hope u have a great time,  please post a review with your experience.   I am still trying to get a third dose…….but not hopeful.  I fear we will have to cancel our January/February cruise.

We cruise in December so my daughter, who was in your situation, called infocovid (1-877-644-4545) and was able to get permission to get her 3rd shot in Gatineau, Quebec.  Get the name of the person you speak with because she still had to do some persuading once we got to the vaccine clinic.  Good luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We cruise in December so my daughter, who was in your situation, called infocovid (1-877-644-4545) and was able to get permission to get her 3rd shot in Gatineau, Quebec.  Get the name of the person you speak with because she still had to do some persuading once we got to the vaccine clinic.  Good luck.

I tried 3 times and was told NO each time 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Does she live in Quebec?

Did she have to show proof of travel soon? How soon?

Did she have to show proof of why she needs a 3rd dose?

I don't understand why it's so inconsistent and that certain people get to cruise and others don't. 

Seriously getting pissed at the "we're all in this together".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Does she live in Quebec?

Did she have to show proof of travel soon? How soon?

Did she have to show proof of why she needs a 3rd dose?

I don't understand why it's so inconsistent and that certain people get to cruise and others don't. 

Seriously getting pissed at the "we're all in this together".

No, she lives in Ontario.

Yes, she showed proof of travel in December. (Appt. was Oct. 1)

Yes, she was required to show proof of AZ/Pfizer shots.

I don't understand either why it is so inconsistent.  Someone did tell her while she was there that there are political agreements in place.  I'm not sure what that means but only certain people can change the rules.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

"I don't understand either why it is so inconsistent."

Has anything been consistent with the Covid? You have some provinces that were barely locked down, where as we, Ontario, were locked down the longest.  We can fly across the border but can't drive?  I mean, nothing surprises me anymore regarding the rules...  but that's another debate.  I think we have the doses to give (in Ontario) for a third shot but not sure why they are holding off. My parents in Alberta just recieved their 3rd dose this week.  They actually received both 1st and 2nd doses before I received my first and they also had them done within 4 weeks, whereas I had to wait 3 months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schiff1997 said:

Did she by any chance tell them she lived in Ontario when she called.  All was good for a 3rd dose  until I mentioned that!

She was very honest and upfront with all her information.  The last thing she wanted to do is take time off work and drive 8 hours (return trip) and not get what she came for.  I assume that too many people have been taking advantage of the opportunity and the door has shut.  If that is true, it's a shame and Ontario should use some of the doses on hand to correct this situation.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Ontario should use some of the doses on hand to correct this situation.

Ontario isn't going to be proactive on this or any other COVID issue. They'll wait until there is so much public outcry that they have no choice. Right now, there are few Ontarians travelling to the US and even fewer needing US-recognized vaccinations. Essentially, only cruisers are affected. But when proof of vaccination becomes necessary, with the opening of the land border, possibly as early as this month, or with the new flight requirements come November, there will be a big difference in the public pressure for travel-related third doses.

That said, there already is mounting pressure on Ontario for greater access to booster shots. Unless there is sufficient vaccine to accommodate both groups, I suspect that the booster shot contingent will win out. Not only would they be more likely to get the support of the medical community, but with next year's election looming larger, the booster shot contingent represents a much higher number of potential votes. Yes, a cynical perspective perhaps, but one based on events over the past 19 months or so.

• Like 5