AmaWaterways Five Danube Cruises - Confusing

Tedferg

2 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Not sure on that question but if you’re planning to spend additional time in Budapest there are small boat nighttime cruises available…at least pre-Covid there were.

Thanks - that answers my question. I was wondering if Sail Away from Budapest was more spectacular and so worth choosing that direction.

Well, what time of year are you going?  In early spring and late fall it could be dark enough at sail away time…summer probably not.  We sailed in Oct. and it wasn’t dark when we sailed away.  Closer inspection of the itineraries will help you determine the sail away times, possibly. 

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Well, what time of year are you going?  In early spring and late fall it could be dark enough at sail away time…summer probably not.  We sailed in Oct. and it wasn’t dark when we sailed away.  Closer inspection of the itineraries will help you determine the sail away times, possibly. 

More than likely Sept - and local small boat seems best option. How was the weather in Oct ?

16 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Not sure on that question but if you’re planning to spend additional time in Budapest there are small boat nighttime cruises available…at least pre-Covid there were.

List of current operators:

Legend
Address: 1051 Budapest, Jane Haining rakpart (Vigadó tér), Dock 7
Phone: +36 1317 22 03; +36 1266 41 90
E-mail: info@legenda.hu
With Budapest Card: -10%

Lunch & Cruise
Address: 1051 Budapest, Zrínyi u. 5
Phone: +36 1317 27 54, +36 1317 13 77
Email: info@ticket.info.hu
With Budapest Card: -10%

MAHART PassNave Személyhajózási Kft.
Address: Vigadó tér Hajóállomás, 1056 Budapest, Jane Haining rakpart
Phone: +36 1484 4013, +36 1318 1223
With Budapest Card: -10% -20 to 50% depending on the boat trip
With a pensioner ID card or a personal ID card at the age of 65 and over: - 25%

Silver Line
Address: 1052 Budapest, Jane H. rakpart, Pier 11
Phone: 36 20 332 5364
E-mail: booking@silver-line.hu
With Budapest Card: -20%

Budapest Danube Cruise
Address: 1075 Budapest, Károly körút 5, VI/3
Phone: +36 1 212 3131, 36-70-366 9641
E-mail: info@budapestdanubecruise.com

• Like 1

One thing I have found through research for the local cruises is not to choose the dinner ones.....I have heard several comments that the food isn't the "best".  Also, get them when you are there, as you can make sure you get one where you can go outside and it's not raining hopefully... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

That was always my view too, but I remember someone on the river cruising forum taking me to task and praising a dinner cruise on the canals of Amsterdam a few years ago. 

Amsterdam has ones that are gourmet cruises, however the ones offered by the Budapest lines are different.

It all depends on several factors including mobility issue (or lack thereof) as well as just personal preference, but when we visited Budapest for our river cruise a couple of years ago, we enjoyed a spectacular view of the Pest side of the city, including that of the Hungarian Parliament Buldiing, when we had a dinner at the Halászbástya Étterem restaurant on the Buda side of the city.  I believe there are many great vantage points from the Buda side.  If we knew this beforehand, we would have stayed on the Buda side on on one of the hillside hotels.  Also, I think a leisurely walk along the river bank on the Pest side of the building was totally worth our time.  We walked from the Sheraton to the Parliament area multiple times during our brief stay.  I guess we could have done a short evening cruise of the Danube while we were in Budapest before the cruise, but we did not think we needed to do that to enjoy the scenery on our own.  Also, I am not sure about all itineraries, but our cruise departed from/arrived at Budapest in the evening, allowing us to enjoy an evening cruise of the city twice.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to AmaWaterways Five Danube Cruises - Confusing