Pre Cruise Internet Purchase

gmcwalker

You need to call Princess (800-Princess) to sign up/pay for Medallion Net.  There is NO other way to place this order.  Live Chat can place your order but can not take payment.  This is one of the really broken issues with Princess.  Not on Personalizer.  Not on App.  Not through Live Chat.  Wait times can be an hour or more.  Call early in the morning.  Place phone on speaker and go about your other tasks.  

It is $9.99 a day.

If you are a Platinum or Elite loyalty member, then you will receive 50% back as refundable OBC.  

• Like 1

Thank you to all for your help. However the last time I called I was on wait for about 10 min, so not too bad. Apparently I should make a list of questions before I call. Steelers76 I saw you did a spread sheet awhile ago on Internet plans, have the plans changed?

6 minutes ago, gmcwalker said:

Thank you to all for your help. However the last time I called I was on wait for about 10 min, so not too bad. Apparently I should make a list of questions before I call. Steelers76 I saw you did a spread sheet awhile ago on Internet plans, have the plans changed?

No, not recently.  Not sure of time-frame you ask about.  Internet pricing has significantly changed since pre-Covid.  There used to be package prices according to length of voyage.  Now, it is a flat price per day, regardless of cruise length.  It used to be that Elites and Platinum need to wait to book internet on board Day 1 in order to get the best price with the then 25% discount.  Now, those eligible need to book the internet ahead of the cruise in order to get the best price.

Internet is now $10/pp/day for a single device pre-cruise.  If you wait until on board, the price is $15/day.  There may be exceptions to that for the immediate time-being since guests have to call in to Princess in order to book pre-cruise and provide CC to pay for it.  Eventually, we will be able to order internet on MC App. 

If you want the 4-device plan, it costs $20/pp/day in advance and $25/pp/day on board.

If you don't want daily internet and just want to order a day or two on board, the individual day cost is $20/day.  Obviously as soon as you want half the cruise days, you may as well book in advance for the $10/day rate. 

If you qualify, the new discount is 50% (compared to old 25%).  If booking in advance, you get the 50% rebate as a refundable OBC (like cash).  If you book on board, you are just charged the net price.  Once the ordering is available on MC App, guests will simply be charged the net price if qualify for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No, not recently.  Not sure of time-frame you ask about.  Internet pricing has significantly changed since pre-Covid.  There used to be package prices according to length of voyage.  Now, it is a flat price per day, regardless of cruise length.  It used to be that Elites and Platinum need to wait to book internet on board Day 1 in order to get the best price with the then 25% discount.  Now, those eligible need to book the internet ahead of the cruise in order to get the best price.

Internet is now $10/pp/day for a single device pre-cruise.  If you wait until on board, the price is $15/day.  There may be exceptions to that for the immediate time-being since guests have to call in to Princess in order to book pre-cruise and provide CC to pay for it.  Eventually, we will be able to order internet on MC App. 

If you want the 4-device plan, it costs $20/pp/day in advance and $25/pp/day on board.

If you don't want daily internet and just want to order a day or two on board, the individual day cost is $20/day.  Obviously as soon as you want half the cruise days, you may as well book in advance for the $10/day rate. 

If you qualify, the new discount is 50% (compared to old 25%).  If booking in advance, you get the 50% rebate as a refundable OBC (like cash).  If you book on board, you are just charged the net price.  Once the ordering is available on MC App, guests will simply be charged the net price if qualify for it. 

Thanks for the detailed info!

Great. Finally. Except when I try to purchase for a cruise next month, it gives me a flag that advises FAILURE, go back and update your address in Personal Information & Documents and try again later. 

The problem is that everything is correct. Credit card #, address, everything. And it still won't take it. 

22 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Great. Finally. Except when I try to purchase for a cruise next month, it gives me a flag that advises FAILURE, go back and update your address in Personal Information & Documents and try again later. 

The problem is that everything is correct. Credit card #, address, everything. And it still won't take it. 

Disregard. The problem was the nut behind the wheel......me. 

Using the app, I just purchased the 4 device plan for our Panama Canal trip next month. 

Thanks for pointing this update out to all of us! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Disregard. The problem was the nut behind the wheel......me. 

Using the app, I just purchased the 4 device plan for our Panama Canal trip next month. 

Thanks for pointing this update out to all of us! 😀

Glad that it worked for you…it’s available for all of my future cruises but hopefully before my 2022 cruises the option to pay for a discounted price onboard using OBC will be available.

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Glad that it worked for you…it’s available for all of my future cruises but hopefully before my 2022 cruises the option to pay for a discounted price onboard using OBC will be available.

They aren't going to set the on-board price the same as pre-cruise.  You certainly can pay on board and get the discount, but pay a premium to do so.

I am able to order WIFI on my MedallionClass app.

I am Elite and pay in CDN $.  The price for 1 device is $88.83 CDN and $177.73 CDN for multi device up to 4.  My cabin mate who is not Elite or Platinum has the same $88.83 CDN.  I hope the 50% Elite discount shows up onboard as OBC.

Before, on the MedallionClass, I logged in under my name, all my Travel Checklist was not showing.  If I logged as my cabin mate, then my picture, I was able to complete all the sections.   Now I can complete all sections under my log in.

Check your MedallionClass as they have update again.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:44 AM, phabric said:

I am able to order WIFI on my MedallionClass app.

I am Elite and pay in CDN $.  The price for 1 device is $88.83 CDN and $177.73 CDN for multi device up to 4.  My cabin mate who is not Elite or Platinum has the same $88.83 CDN.  I hope the 50% Elite discount shows up onboard as OBC.

Before, on the MedallionClass, I logged in under my name, all my Travel Checklist was not showing.  If I logged as my cabin mate, then my picture, I was able to complete all the sections.   Now I can complete all sections under my log in.

Check your MedallionClass as they have update again.

We always book in USD as I use a US TA who discounts and have a resource of USD in any case.  What was the Princess CAD conversion rate when you booked?  Have you checked if that is the rate used in the quote?  Or, do you think they are using a dynamic daily conversion rate for this purpose?  The US rate is $10/day and you can figure out the exact price as $9.99 x #nights of cruise length. 

The closest I can figure is a 7-night voyage and ~1.27 cnvn rate.  Wait - exactly 1.27.  They are converting the daily charge to USD and rounding it to nearest penny and then multiply by number of days instead of calculating the total cost in USD and then converting the total due.  So, $12.69/day from $9.99/day.

As for your OBC, you won't be getting 50% CAD as OBC since ship currency is USD (presuming you are not sailing in Australia).  Your OBC will be $5 USD * #nights.  Or, it should be unless they do some funky reverse conversion.  SO, I think you will get $35 refundable OBC.

It's a bit surprising to me that since you are pre-purchasing something on board, they are presenting it in CAD in the MC App.  But, I suppose it is consistent with what they did in Cruise Personalizer - using the currency of the booking.

Originally, Princess informed me that when the ordering of Internet was added to MC App, they were going to recognized status and only charge the net cost after 50% discount if eligible.  Seems like atr this point, at least, they are charging the full amount up front.

15 hours ago, bjkTX said:

When we booked our cruise (Sep 2022) we were both given the Internet Package as one of the benefits.  Will we need to sign up for it at some point or will it be automatic?  Been awhile - so thanks 🙂

If I look at this in the app for our upcoming cruise with internet included, it shows that we have the package and it's not started yet. Which is good, since the cruise hasn't started yet. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

If I look at this in the app for our upcoming cruise with internet included, it shows that we have the package and it's not started yet. Which is good, since the cruise hasn't started yet. 😂

Thanks!  I don't have the app and it doesn't show on the web page (yet).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 12:50 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

You need to call Princess (800-Princess) to sign up/pay for Medallion Net.  There is NO other way to place this order.  Live Chat can place your order but can not take payment.  This is one of the really broken issues with Princess.  Not on Personalizer.  Not on App.  Not through Live Chat.  Wait times can be an hour or more.  Call early in the morning.  Place phone on speaker and go about your other tasks.  

It is $9.99 a day.

If you are a Platinum or Elite loyalty member, then you will receive 50% back as refundable OBC.  

Can I use my Princess gift cards to pay for the Medallion Net package pre-cruise? I need to buy a 4-device package for a 28-day cruise.  If okay to do so, do I just give the Princess agent my gift cards' numbers when I place my order to purchase the package?  Or I need to call first,  to ask to apply my gift cards as OBC to my booking, then call another Princess dept. to buy the internet package?  My cruise was booked through an outside TA.

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Can I use my Princess gift cards to pay for the Medallion Net package pre-cruise? I need to buy a 4-device package for a 28-day cruise.  If okay to do so, do I just give the Princess agent my gift cards' numbers when I place my order to purchase the package?  Or I need to call first,  to ask to apply my gift cards as OBC to my booking, then call another Princess dept. to buy the internet package?  My cruise was booked through an outside TA.

In order for Princess to use the gift cards for the internet do NOT convert them to OBC. Personally I email a copy of the card to my PVP & ask to buy the internet + OBC / use the rest as payment on whatever i still owe. I don't use a TA so your process will be different. You probably have to call the 1800Princess #. 

Edited by Ombud

It does show up on the app.  It's under your OceanView Profile:   Click on MedallionNet and you can purchase there.   Pre-cruise it's 50% off for platinums and elites.  They refund in OBC is my understanding once you board.  

image.png