Cold Soup appetizers in the MDR

Rambler14

Are we the only ones that have noticed these have gone away?

Wife used to love choosing some fruity soup as an appetizer, something she wasn't used to having normally on the mainland.  Usually they were fruit-based.

We were used to seeing them on almost every cruise through 2018(?) but noticed they weren't on Oasis in late 2019 and not on the Allure this week.

3 minutes ago, Rambler14 said:

Wife used to love choosing some fruity soup as an appetizer, something she wasn't used to having normally on the mainland.  Usually they were fruit-based.

We were used to seeing them on almost every cruise through 2018(?) but noticed they weren't on Oasis in late 2019 and not on the Allure this week.

Bummer, as my wife enjoys them. Hope it's not fleetwide. Now a couple shots of rum in some of them (fruit ones) would make them even better. 🍹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The cold fruit soups have not appeared on any of my trips in several years. 

During last prepandemic years it usually appeared once. During last days. I will check today.

OTOH we have escargot daily. In previous years we had it only first so many nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, clearlake_cruiser said:

You can request chilled soup appetizer from your head waiter and they will prepare it for the next dinner.

We had strawberry bisque aboard Freedom in August.

I’m glad someone asked because I benefited from your answer. 
I never thought about requesting a cold soup, but I’m sure going to do it!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, clearlake_cruiser said:

You can request chilled soup appetizer from your head waiter and they will prepare it for the next dinner.

Yes and from my experience you can request basically anything off the menu (within reason) and they will comply either that night or the next.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, clearlake_cruiser said:

Thank you!

I just wish we had the MDR menus from 4 years ago so we knew what to order!  😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rambler14 said:

Just ask on the first night and you will receive every evening after that.  We got them 7 out of 8 days on our Odyssey cruise last month even though they were never on the menu.  Kind of pot luck though since you never had a clue what was coming until they placed it in front of you.  A few misses, but most were excellent.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Just ask on the first night and you will receive every evening after that.  We got them 7 out of 8 days on our Odyssey cruise last month even though they were never on the menu.  Kind of pot luck though since you never had a clue what was coming until they placed it in front of you.  A few misses, but most were excellent.

Thank you!   We have two scheduled for 2022 and will try this. 

Confirming. Yesterday during last dinner on Oasis we also didn’t have cold soups. Choices were great though. We lately skip desserts as it’s so difficult to pick only one appetizer. 🙂 

On 9/25/2021 at 11:55 PM, cruiserking said:

So glad to read you can request chilled soups from your waiter. Have always been a big fan of the chilled soups. Do they bring you the same flavor each night or a variety. I would be thrilled to enjoy the Strawberry Bisque every night. 

Jonathan

Different flavour every night for the 7 nights they served it to us after we requested them the first evening.

7 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

So the cook staff whips up a cold soup for just 1-2 people? Those recipes have to be large enough to feed many more than just a few. Do they really have time to scale down and prep these recipes?

I saw the strawberry soup, at least, offered in Coastal Kitchen for lunch one day, so they may have small batches on hand already.

Also, my wife and I don't drink, so on our honeymoon several years ago, our assistant waiter would bring us a wine glass each of whatever the cold soup was at the end of our meal to take back to our stateroom to sip on. 🤣

We'll have to try that again on our two cruises planned for next year, now that we know they're still around in some form.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:34 PM, Russ Lomas said:

We are cruising on Allure of the Seas in November.  I love the cold soups so I am thrilled you can special request them.  I will add this to my to do list.  Thank you!!!

• Like 2