Specialty Dining Gratuities

W283386

On 9/29/2021 at 11:03 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

If you think about it, you're already paying the default dining room server gratuities, regardless of which dining room you're eating in, if your booking has gratuities included. So why should ANY additional gratuities be baked into the SR charge? Are the servers in a SR that much better than in Luminae, Blu or any MDR for that matter, as you can only eat in one dining room at a time.

I agree. Gratuities are auto-billed so there's no need to provide an extra tip to any server in any food/beverage venue, whether it's Murano, the MDR, Cafe al Bacio, bars, etc., unless you've received exceptional service and you want to tip that individual or individuals. In that case, I would carry some cash with me so it doesn't go into the pool you've already contributed to. (FYI, on land I am a generous tipper, especially for very good service.)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I agree. Gratuities are auto-billed so there's no need to provide an extra tip to any server in any food/beverage venue, whether it's Murano, the MDR, Cafe al Bacio, bars, etc.

it was my understanding that bartenders arent included in the $15.50/day mandatory tips?

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

it was my understanding that bartenders arent included in the $15.50/day mandatory tips?

You are correct, they are not included in the daily tips, they get their tips per drink. If you don’t have a package they will add it to your bill.  The poster who stated they are auto billed in the regular system is just simply wrong, it has never been that way.

Edited by dkjretired

On 9/29/2021 at 1:28 PM, fstuff1 said:

To the OP of this thread:

there's no need to tip extra at specialty restaurants. 

They're already tipped.

edit:

so when you buy a beverage package, are tips included?

If you BUY a package they will add the prevailing percentage to your purchase price.

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I agree. Gratuities are auto-billed so there's no need to provide an extra tip to any server in any food/beverage venue, whether it's Murano, the MDR, Cafe al Bacio, bars, etc., unless you've received exceptional service and you want to tip that individual or individuals. In that case, I would carry some cash with me so it doesn't go into the pool you've already contributed to. (FYI, on land I am a generous tipper, especially for very good service.)

Totally incorrect… 

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

If you BUY a package they will add the prevailing percentage to your purchase price.

i added a 5 night dining package on my upcoming cruise.

no tips were includes at checkout page.

SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE - 5 NIGHTS $201.00 USD
  $201.00 USD
Service Charge $0.00 USD

do they add the 20% tips when you buy on board?

Ken -  I was told something similar in Muranos  last week.   We were in an upper suite so the meal was at no additional cost.    No bill was given to us at the end of the mean,     I asked the Restaurant Manager for a bill to add on gratuities.   

He asked if I wanted to tip the complete server pool on the ship and I said no.   He explained that the tip was included already and  if I left the tip charge on my room the tip was shared to the entire ships wait staff pool.    If I left a cash tip it would be pooled to the Muranos staff only. 

I think this early post from Jim pretty well puts all the speculation going on here to rest.  Regardless of whatever verbiage might or might not exist on Celebrity's website.  We all know how accurate and dependable that place is.  I suspect the actual workers on the ship know what's what.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i added a 5 night dining package on my upcoming cruise.

no tips were includes at checkout page.

SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE - 5 NIGHTS $201.00 USD
  $201.00 USD
Service Charge $0.00 USD

do they add the 20% tips when you buy on board?

I was asked about beverage ackages.

Very easy solution about whether to tip or not and who gets the tips or how it is distributed.   Make life simple by not dining  there.   Simple.   

If you feel a need to dine there do whatever makes you feel good and don’t worry about it.   The workers apparently accept and are happy with the policy. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 9/29/2021 at 11:10 AM, fstuff1 said:

on ncl, specialty dining rooms waiters are excluded from the daily tips thus the 20% tips charge when you buy the dining package.

assumed the same of Celebrity.

but makes sense if Celebrity's specialty dining personnel was included in the $15.50 daily tips charge if 20% auto-tips werent added when you paid the cover charge.

why would you assume the same of Celebrity?

On 9/30/2021 at 3:35 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Ken -  I was told something similar in Muranos  last week.   We were in an upper suite so the meal was at no additional cost.    No bill was given to us at the end of the mean,     I asked the Restaurant Manager for a bill to add on gratuities.   

He asked if I wanted to tip the complete server pool on the ship and I said no.   He explained that the tip was included already and  if I left the tip charge on my room the tip was shared to the entire ships wait staff pool.    If I left a cash tip it would be pooled to the Muranos staff only. 

I think this early post from Jim pretty well puts all the speculation going on here to rest.  Regardless of whatever verbiage might or might not exist on Celebrity's website.  We all know how accurate and dependable that place is.  I suspect the actual workers on the ship know what's what.

I was told  at Tuscan, Murano & Le petite Chef) that tips for the specialty restaurants were built into the pricing.  Sushi on 5 includes 18% onto the bill.

If a SP server had 15 guests x $50 each =$750 x 15% extra tip =$112.5o  a day x 24 days a month =$2700. He may also get a salary and definitely room and board plus medical care. It sounds like its a good position to have onboard compared to other crew members. I have no way of knowing if I'm anywhere near right about this.

Edited by weregoingcruising
correction of post.

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

why would you assume the same of Celebrity?

They are not included in the 15.50, never have been. I stated earlier in the thread that Celebrity used to list who actually got the tips and those only went to MDR staff, no one else and nothing has changed.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

This says the auto-billed gratuities for Always Included packages covers "Dining Service staff, stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Services Personnel."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/gratuity-program

It does not say that it covers only staff in the main dining room(s). 

image.thumb.png.7b8dfacb43862cb8393e5a3392b326e0.png

They only include MDR, always been that way, never changed. Common sense dictates, first, they used to list how much the waiter, assistant and mairtre d got and that amount has only changed for inflation. Second, do you think anyone would work in the specialties if they weren’t getting tips. With all due respect, you are just totally wrong, this was established long ago. I don’t want people to get the wrong impression, the tip for Servers in the Specialties has always come out of the service charge, it definitely is not part of the regular tip structure.

11 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

They only include MDR, always been that way, never changed. Common sense dictates, first, they used to list how much the waiter, assistant and mairtre d got and that amount has only changed for inflation. Second, do you think anyone would work in the specialties if they weren’t getting tips. With all due respect, you are just totally wrong, this was established long ago. I don’t want people to get the wrong impression, the tip for Servers in the Specialties has always come out of the service charge, it definitely is not part of the regular tip structure.

and according to icruise, your information is correct

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

and according to icruise, your information is correct

I wrote this before in this thread but I was sailing Celebrity when the first Specialty was introduced in the early 2000s. They very clearly stated at the time that the tip was included in the cover fee. Also, going back a couple of years, Celebrity actually had a rep on this board. They clearly stated the tip came out of the fee. Doesn’t really matter because if those who are misinterpreting the wording don’t give a tip, the servers get it anyway from the SC. It gets frustrating arguing something that is common knowledge. This poster also says at the cafes, bars and al bacio the tips are included in the regular tipping package. Ludicrous, why then would they add a percentage if you buy a drink.

Edited by dkjretired

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Also, going back a couple of years, Celebrity actually had a rep on this board.

They clearly stated the tip came out of the fee.

Doesn’t really matter because if those who are misinterpreting the wording don’t give a tip, the servers get it anyway from the SC. It gets frustrating arguing something that is common knowledge. 

it is not common knowledge, obviously.

One person can view that specialty waitstaff's tips are covered by the daily $15.50/day auto-tips.

Another person can view that the specialty restaurant cover charge has tips baked into the price and not separated out as NCL does.

either way, it's all the same at the end.

No need to leave a tip at the end of the meal because they are already tipped.

(unless you want to leave an ADDITIONAL tip)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

it is not common knowledge, obviously.

One person can view that specialty waitstaff's tips are covered by the daily $15.50/day auto-tips.

Another person can view that the specialty restaurant cover charge has tips baked into the price and not separated out as NCL does.

either way, it's all the same at the end.

No need to leave a tip at the end of the meal because they are already tipped.

(unless you want to leave an ADDITIONAL tip)

It is common knowledge to people who have been on this board for years but like you said doesn’t matter.

Just an FYI on tipping, we just completed a Southern Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox.  I asked a bar server at the Ocean View Bar how tips worked. He explained that at the bar, if you are served by a Bar Waiter, he will receive any tips from the 'Add a Tip' line on the bill.  If you are served by an Assistant Bar Waiter, the additional tip goes into the pool.   

1 hour ago, Largelatteinparadise said:

Just an FYI on tipping, we just completed a Southern Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox.  I asked a bar server at the Ocean View Bar how tips worked. He explained that at the bar, if you are served by a Bar Waiter, he will receive any tips from the 'Add a Tip' line on the bill.  If you are served by an Assistant Bar Waiter, the additional tip goes into the pool.   

And how would most folks know the difference between a "Bar Waiter" and "Assistance Bar Waiter."  And how does that work when folks have drink packages that might be rung up by the bar tender but ultimately served by a "Bar Waiter" or "Assistance Bar Waiter."  And what the heck is the difference between a "Bar Waiter" and "Assistance Bar Waiter?"

Hank

• Like 1