Vaccine Confirmation - New in Check In

AlbertaCruisers

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It is that time of year for Flu shots.  I personally would like the cruise lines to ask for evidence of Flu vaccine shots as well as Covid vaccine shots.  Then I would know they are really practicing Healthy At Sea. 

In June 2019, DW and I enjoyed a wonderful 14-night Norwegian cruise out of Amsterdam. In spite of having received our annual high dose flu vaccine, DW contracted both A and B strains of the flu in the final days of the cruise, was admitted to the ICU unit of the ship's medical centre for the final two nights, and was sent directly to hospital by ambulance upon disembarkation. According to the senior doctor aboard, they get more flu cases during European cruises than those out of North America, in part because more North Americans get vaccinated. 

While DW and I would fully support a move to make flu shots mandatory too, I just don't see it ever happening.  In spite of the number of deaths and hospitalizations annually, far too many people seem to view it as not a great deal worse than a very bad cold.

8 minutes ago, Welland said:

Don't know if this is true or not but it's my understanding that one cannot have a covid vaccine/booster or any other vaccine if another vaccine shot has been administered within a certain (close) time frame.  So I assume that this would apply to a flu shot and then trying to receive a booster.  Really makes no impact if not travelling but if one is planning a trip I would advise checking this out with your doctor.

According to a recent UK study, you can have them both at the same time with no negative impact on the immune response of either:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/safe-give-covid-19-shot-flu-vaccine-same-time-uk-study-2021-09-30/

9 minutes ago, Welland said:

Don't know if this is true or not but it's my understanding that one cannot have a covid vaccine/booster or any other vaccine if another vaccine shot has been administered within a certain (close) time frame.  So I assume that this would apply to a flu shot and then trying to receive a booster.  Really makes no impact if not travelling but if one is planning a trip I would advise checking this out with your doctor.

Per CDC (put whatever stock in that that you may), even taking COVID and flu vaccines concurrently is OK.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:23 PM, hasentreelake said:

This thread is going all over the place... but I was intrigued by your mention of a 'test cruise'.  We're all adults here - give us some more details about what was 'in beta' as they say...

It was a test cruise for RCL to test out their CDC protocols. Since they are allowing a greater number of unvaccinated guests, they have stricter COVID protocols. So we were invited for a free cruise in exchange for being test subjects. Nothing was asked extra from us other than to enjoy the cruise. I had a great time and enjoyed having my tenth cruise be free! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, canderson said:

Per CDC (put whatever stock in that that you may), even taking COVID and flu vaccines concurrently is OK.

Yes, that's been widely reported. I still decided to have my Pfizer booster a week before my flu shot, as I was interested in knowing what reaction, if any, I had to the booster.   (Similar to second shot; arm sore, and some tiredness the next day.)  

On 10/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, canderson said:

Got both of my shots together last week. Easy/Peasy. Arm actually hurt a little less than my second dose. Just spent the following day taking lots of naps 😀

Edited by kelib

On 10/2/2021 at 5:58 PM, Fouremco said:

According to a recent UK study, you can have them both at the same time with no negative impact on the immune response of either:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/safe-give-covid-19-shot-flu-vaccine-same-time-uk-study-2021-09-30/

Our daughter who works for NHS was asked if she wanted her ‘flu vaccine, when she went for her COVID booster.

We had our booster on Wednesday and my husband asked if we could have the flu one as well. He was told no, as they didn’t have the ones suitable for the over 65’s.

So, we have been to our doctor’s surgery today and have been given the ‘flu one ( in a different arm.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Our daughter who works for NHS was asked if she wanted her ‘flu vaccine, when she went for her COVID booster.

We had our booster on Wednesday and my husband asked if we could have the flu one as well. He was told no, as they didn’t have the ones suitable for the over 65’s.

So, we have been to our doctor’s surgery today and have been given the ‘flu one ( in a different arm.

Yes there is a higher dose Flu vaccine for the 65 and older arms.  But it still can be administered along side a COVID vaccine booster in the same visit (at least here in the USA).

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes there is a higher dose Flu vaccine for the 65 and older arms. 

Yup.  Got mine yesterday, and as expected, still sore today!

Evidently not common elsewhere, Colorado has already been giving Moderna boosters for some patients.  Some here are doing it in conjunction with the flu shot.  Per Colorado.gov:

You should get an additional dose of Pfizer or Moderna if: