Celebrity Move Up - Need to be Invited?

Diane Rose

I called Celebrity today about another issue.  When asked if there is anything eLse, I asked about Celebrity Move Up as there are several Sky Suites open for our Cruise and I’m hoping to bid.  The rep told me that I need to be invited to bid, otherwise I cannot bid.  I thought everyone has the opportunity, please correct me if I’m wrong.  I did ask how they choose the invitees.  Of course, she had no idea. 

Diane

Anyone on each sailing can bid.  A few weeks prior to sailing, you will see a link in the menu.  Each category that is available for upgrade gives you the option of lowest to highest bid.  You choose what price (in addition to what you have paid) you are comfortable with.  You may hear back immediately or not.   Please check current  pricing, because it’s been known that the move up bids are higher.

• Like 1

There are TAs that don’t participate and those booked with them are not able to bid.   We receive the email direct from Celebrity and our bid goes back to  Celebrity so I can’t figure out why a TA would opt out.   We switched from one large TA when they replaced refundable OBC with a store gift card and we couldn’t do Move Up bids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There are TAs that don’t participate and those booked with them are not able to bid.   We receive the email direct from Celebrity and our bid goes back to  Celebrity so I can’t figure out why a TA would opt out.   We switched from one large TA when they replaced refundable OBC with a store gift card and we couldn’t do Move Up bids.

Thanks for the info.  We were thinking about transferring our booking to that one large TA, but now we'll keep searching...

We were unable to bid on an upgrade, we were told due to both our cabin type and our TA.  So there may be multiple reasons and a cryptic error message likely means you are blocked from the bidding.  That said, we are glad we did not upgrade to a suite because our FV cabin was superb and our recent Millenium cruise absolutely fabulous.  Main dining meals, service levels for our category, if discerning about the selections, and other ship aspects were exceptionally well done.  It may be because of the low capacity onboard, but we loved the cruise, as it was.  Sure, plush robes would have been nice, but...

Edited by Pizzasteve

If you bid on an upgrade and get it, do you still keep the perks you had with your old room?  I have a good amount of OBC, a premium beverage package, tips and internet with my current room and would not want to lose that.

18 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

If you bid on an upgrade and get it, do you still keep the perks you had with your old room?  I have a good amount of OBC, a premium beverage package, tips and internet with my current room and would not want to lose that.

Yes, you do get to keep your perks from your original booking

29 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

Actually if you bid on the upper suites royal or above you will get extra perks including free specialty restaurants, agree you don’t lose anything. 

Edited by George C

You don't need an invite to bid.    Just go to the bid site.    Found by clicking hamburger button top left and choose Celebrity MoveUp --  Put in your name and reservation number and if eligible it will open the bid window when available.

If it doesn't work you can send a question to the e-mail on the page and the respond back quickly  On one cruise recently I didn't get the letter and was able to bid.   I didn't get a bid confirmation back so contacted them and they sent it to me.  

If you are interested in bidding, make sure you compare the minimum bid with the actual cost of the upgrade.  There's a chance the bid would cost about the same or even less than the cost of upgrading directly.